The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

He looked great in Traverse City and seems only to have gotten better. Elyniuk signed an Amateur Tryout on Tuesday as well. 73 points in 64 games with Spokane this year (29 G, 44 A). 6'-5", 195. Put some meat on those bones, son!!

One thing about the need for pop and result next year, is that it kind of distracts from the fact that the system is just more full than ever with interesting prospects, many picked in later rounds. Not many views on the In the System Area, suggesting that overall interest in these guys is low. But while the big names of Fleury, McKeown, Gauthier, Bean and Roy are known to some, there are a lot of other interesting guys percolating in the system.

Just look at Zykov and Wallmark who just came up and suddenly pop onto the radar.  Zykov got an "at the net" hard fought goal and seemed to affect other guys going there (2nd rounder we got for Versteeg from the Kings, who was another guy with first round skills that dropped to the second round (like McKeown, who we also got from the Kings)). Zykov has decent size and is still only 21. Wallmark looked increasingly good each game and is having a really nice season in Charlotte. He was a 4th rounder, drafted more for hockey sense than scoring, who is showing scoring.

Elyniuk one of two third rounders last year is massive and showing some scoring touch.

Three other later round picks to look at: David Cotton: 6th round, really looking good (5th on team in points as a Freshman at BC), 6'3", Spencer Smallman, 6'0",5th round, compared to Scotty Walker, Matt Filipe 6'2", 3rd round, fast start in D1 hockey at Northeastern, physical and tenacious, heavy game.

More here: http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/23777-ranking-the-prospects-an-ongoing-effort/

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, remkin said:

I just get the feeling that while Eric was the Golden Boy and was given they keys to the Kingdom with not only a massive deal, and a NTC, but both of those also given to his brother, Cam is more of a favorite because he's beloved. Don't get me wrong, he has had some really amazing stretches recently. But think of all the bad play that Cam has mixed in there over the years to arrive at a career save percentage of .909. Why can no one ever get the crease from him? Why does one coach after another ride him?

Right now average in the NHL for #1's is .917. Cam is .904 (tied for #40).  Cam has beaten that .917 mark in ONE season (2009-2010, arguably his only above average regular season). I get that playing goal for the Canes has not always been easy, but the last couple of years our defense has been at least near average.

Yet, everyone in the organization, right down to our main man John Forslund, just keep telling us that this is the guy. Cam is, by all accounts a great guy, and his hold on the organization is very different from Eric's, but I am thinking more and more that it is still there, and to fix the problem we need to move on.

Cam might go to Vegas and play out of his mind, like Eric has in Minnesota, but that's fine. We need that net open for competition. We need to stop leaning on Cam, clear the board, and find a better alternative.

Me? I bring in Darling and keep Lack. But no way does it look like that last part is happening.

Wouldn't it be interesting to put Ward out there for the expansion draft. Think Vegas would take him?

Seems to me like it's more a GM issue than a coaching one. Since I've been following the team closely, here are the alternatives to Ward: Justin Peters, Khudo, and Lack. While both Khudo and Lack came in with high hopes, neither made much of a case as a legit #1 NHL goaltender while in Raleigh, and Khudo hasn't shown more than backup potential after leaving the Canes.  Although I'm a bit confused as to why HC Peters isn't using Lack more right now, I can see why coaches have ridden Ward as much as they have in the past, even though I wish they'd had a better option. 

With teams only able to protect 1 goalie, I've got to believe that Vegas will have better options than either Lack or Ward this summer.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, remkin said:

One thing about the need for pop and result next year, is that it kind of distracts from the fact that the system is just more full than ever with interesting prospects, many picked in later rounds. Not many views on the In the System Area, suggesting that overall interest in these guys is low. But while the big names of Fleury, McKeown, Gauthier, Bean and Roy are known to some, there are a lot of other interesting guys percolating in the system.

Just look at Zykov and Wallmark who just came up and suddenly pop onto the radar.  Zykov got an "at the net" hard fought goal and seemed to affect other guys going there (2nd rounder we got for Versteeg from the Kings, who was another guy with first round skills that dropped to the second round (like McKeown, who we also got from the Kings)). Zykov has decent size and is still only 21. Wallmark looked increasingly good each game and is having a really nice season in Charlotte. He was a 4th rounder, drafted more for hockey sense than scoring, who is showing scoring.

Elyniuk one of two third rounders last year is massive and showing some scoring touch.

Three other later round picks to look at: David Cotton: 6th round, really looking good (5th on team in points as a Freshman at BC), 6'3", Spencer Smallman, 6'0",5th round, compared to Scotty Walker, Matt Filipe 6'2", 3rd round, fast start in D1 hockey at Northeastern, physical and tenacious, heavy game.

More here: http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/23777-ranking-the-prospects-an-ongoing-effort/

Another raffle ticket under the radar?  Alexsi Saarela (5'11", 198 lbs)
Talent Analysis

Saarela is small with tremendous skating acceleration and very good speed. Although he is not tall, it is tough to get the puck away from him. He has excellent hockey sense, vision, and quick hands, so he can be a playmaker and a goal-scorer equally as well.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/aleksi-saarela/#jxumovkztP8Veevl.99

19 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Looks like the tiny Russian is off the radar.  What was his name again?

Wasn't he supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread?

28 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Looks like the tiny Russian is off the radar.  What was his name again?

8 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

The Smurf!! Yeah, Tolchinsky is currently 6th in scoring on the Chex and just turned 22yo.  I don't think anyone ever saw him as a sure thing, more a sentimental favorite given his circumstances.  Plus, unfortunately, one of the better of a pretty sorry crop of Canes prospects at the time he was drafted iirc.

I'm still hoping that he keeps on grinding and eventually at least gets a taste of the NHL, even if he takes a Derek Ryan-ish route to get there. 

Edited by LakeLivin

53 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Seems to me like it's more a GM issue than a coaching one. Since I've been following the team closely, here are the alternatives to Ward: Justin Peters, Khudo, and Lack. While both Khudo and Lack came in with high hopes, neither made much of a case as a legit #1 NHL goaltender while in Raleigh, and Khudo hasn't shown more than backup potential after leaving the Canes.  Although I'm a bit confused as to why HC Peters isn't using Lack more right now, I can see why coaches have ridden Ward as much as they have in the past, even though I wish they'd had a better option. 

With teams only able to protect 1 goalie, I've got to believe that Vegas will have better options than either Lack or Ward this summer.

For most of the time his outsized contract complete with full NTC, made him unmovable and still left little room to pay another guy to come in as #1. That was a big part of it.

But that doesn't explain this year.  How do we know if the other guy can play better if we never play him? I get the concussion thing, but that is over now. Eddie's career .911 is better than Cam's career .904. AND Eddie has been playing very well lately. We know what Cam is. Why not give Eddie a bunch of games before we have to make goalie decisions? Unless the decision is already made.

Edited by remkin

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

For most of the time his outsized contract complete with full NTC, made him unmovable and still left little room to pay another guy to come in as #1. That was a big part of it.

But that doesn't explain this year.  How do we know if the other guy can play better if we never play him? I get the concussion thing, but that is over now. Eddie's career .911 is better than Cam's career .904. AND Eddie has been playing very well lately. We know what Cam is. Why not give Eddie a bunch of games before we have to make goalie decisions? Unless the decision is already made.

No disagreement here.  Like I said, I'm a bit confused as to why HC Peters isn't using Lack more right now.  I've got to wonder if it isn't something beyond pure performance.  Like, if Peters perceives Lack as not working hard enough or not taking things seriously enough, and is afraid it might rub off on some of the other young players (I've heard Eddie is pretty popular with some of our yutes).  Could that make BP manage the goalies so as to try to influence RFs off season decisions?  I just hope that the Lack/ Ward issue becomes less important because we bring in a true #1 keeper and whichever of the 2 stays occupies a backup role.   

56 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Another raffle ticket under the radar?  Alexsi Saarela (5'11", 198 lbs)
Talent Analysis

Saarela is small with tremendous skating acceleration and very good speed. Although he is not tall, it is tough to get the puck away from him. He has excellent hockey sense, vision, and quick hands, so he can be a playmaker and a goal-scorer equally as well.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/aleksi-saarela/#jxumovkztP8Veevl.99

Saarela is definitely under the radar. Only stuff I can find about him are in Finnish and google translate, while Google Translate is amazing in it's own right, is still hard to make sense of. What I am gleaning from trying to translate some articles is that the guy has unmistaken talent, and a rocket of a shot, but just has not been able to put it all together. One article seemed to be making a comparison to Mikael Granlund as another guy with talent who took a little while to put it all together.

What I like about a lot of our prospects is that many of them were, at points in their careers seen as very elite. Saarela was when he was younger, then fell back to a second round pick, McKeown, Zykov, Roy, Saarela, and Gauthier were all at one point very highly considered against their peers and then had setbacks and dropped. Seems like a decent strategy drafting in later rounds to take a shot at guys like that.

I had high hopes for Saarela when we picked him up as part of the Staal deal. I think he has had set backs, but still has talent, so he's still a possibility. I guess we need to get him to N. America and go from there.

Edited by remkin

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

Sliced bread is also overrated.

54 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I personally think Ward has a compromising photo of PK and a farm animal.  It's the only explanation.

That's nice Father Guido. I hope Pope Frank is on the other side of the wall for your sin confessions this Sunday...:o

56 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

That's nice Father Guido. I hope Pope Frank is on the other side of the wall for your sin confessions this Sunday...:o

You have a better explanation as to why Ward keeps getting the crease over Lack?

Just asking.

Father Sarducci is too busy doing rock album reviews for the Vatican Times to go to confession.

Edited by super_dave_1

If the teams finish the way they have played their last 10 games, the last wildcard spot looks like:

Canes                    92

Tampa                  90.7

Bruins                   90

Islanders              90

Over the last 10 games:

Pitt                         16

Canes, Leafs, Jackets      15

16 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

You have a better explanation as to why Ward keeps getting the crease over Lack?

Just asking.

Father Sarducci is too busy doing rock album reviews for the Vatican Times to go to confession.

1. He is the better goaltender of the 2..

2. Canes still think playoff race on, so play your better goaltender.. and why pick top 5 when can pick 12th?

3.  PK doesn't like tacos.. and didn't get a cut of the taco commercial

While lack has def. played better last few starts, overall no matter *anyones* personal opinion, the canes organization tells you ward is the #1 now.. so of course if still trying for playoffs you play your #1, right?  just being logical

Scoreboard watching

Tonight I'm a Pens fan (did I really say that) Pens play the Isles. The isles 3 points ahead with 72 games played (same as us)

I'm obviously pulling for the Red Wings to beat the Bolts who are 2 points ahead and have skated one more game than us.

20 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Scoreboard watching

Tonight I'm a Pens fan (did I really say that) Pens play the Isles. The isles 3 points ahead with 72 games played (same as us)

I'm obviously pulling for the Red Wings to beat the Bolts who are 2 points ahead and have skated one more game than us.

I'm vomiting in my mouth, but I agree.  Go Pens!  Go Wings!  Uh, that was hard.

Wings need to play REALLY HARD tonight and Sunday.  Yeah, Sunday is important too!  The Wings definitely need to leave it all on the table, give it all they got, on Sunday.  Yeah.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Scoreboard watching

Wings doing a proper tank job to bottom..don't expect much help there- hope wrong

And maybe Sidney gets chucked out tonight if he keeps up the "slasher" role ..

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

I'm vomiting in my mouth, but I agree.  Go Pens!  Go Wings!  Uh, that was hard.

Wings need to play REALLY HARD tonight and Sunday.  Yeah, Sunday is important too!  The Wings definitely need to leave it all on the table, give it all they got, on Sunday.  Yeah.

The Wings are really playing Sunday?  So they have to play 3 days in a row with the rescheduled game on Monday... all on the road...wow

10 minutes ago, hag65 said:

The Wings are really playing Sunday?  So they have to play 3 days in a row with the rescheduled game on Monday... all on the road...wow

Yes really.  A rarity in the NHL that only happens in a situation like a reschedule.  The Sunday game is early, though.

Canes don't have it much better.  They have two 5 in 7's back to back in order to eat the magic beans.  This is also due to reschedule.  However, for this young team, they seem to be thriving on it.  We'll see if it lasts.

Edited by wxray1

21 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Yes really.  A rarity in the NHL that only happens in a situation like a reschedule.  The Sunday game is early, though.

Canes don't have it much better.  They have two 5 in 7's back to uback in order to eat the magic beans.  This is also due to reschedule.  However, for this young team, they seem to be thriving on it.  We'll see if it lasts.

Magic beans are pretty much gone, no? I'm guessing this last part of the schedule is so compacted due to the players break. I didn't look, but I'd guess most teams have a jam packed finish?

33 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Magic beans are pretty much gone, no? I'm guessing this last part of the schedule is so compacted due to the players break. I didn't look, but I'd guess most teams have a jam packed finish?

We got two on Boston, one on tampa, one on philly, one on florida, and one on Toronto.  Those are the teams still in convo for wild card

Edited by JCLA