The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

45 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Yes really.  A rarity in the NHL that only happens in a situation like a reschedule.  The Sunday game is early, though.

Canes don't have it much better.  They have two 5 in 7's back to back in order to eat the magic beans.  This is also due to reschedule.  However, for this young team, they seem to be thriving on it.  We'll see if it lasts.

Can't wait to hear Wings fans opinions if we happen to win they vehemently believed we should have forfeited for not having the ice ready.

16 minutes ago, JCLA said:

We got two on Boston, one on tampa, one on philly, one on florida, and one on Toronto.  Those are the teams still in convo for wild card

Definitely better than the other way around, but that seems like normal variation within the NHL schedule. For awhile there we were 4-6 games behind everyone else. The magic beans were a much bigger issue back then. Still need to cash in the few we still have, of course. And recent history suggests that playing bottom dwellers may not be much of a sure thing, just the opposite.

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I'm vomiting in my mouth, but I agree.  Go Pens!

I went a step beyond and blew chunks all over my computer, but yeah.  Go pens.

Watched Hockey Central today. They are placing the blame on Methot's injury primarily on the glove, saying SOME glove manufacturers have a weak gap at the knuckles. They also talked about refs NOT dishing out slashing penalties when the hands are hit but are too focused on broken sticks. Though they were joking that Sid should have gotten a 10 game suspension.

They were also predicting it will take at least 94 points to make the playoffs. So:

Boston would need 6-2.

New York Islanders would need 7-3.

Tampa Bay would need 7-1-1.

Carolina would need 8-1-1.

35 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Watched Hockey Central today. They are placing the blame on Methot's injury primarily on the glove, saying SOME glove manufacturers have a weak gap at the knuckles. They also talked about refs NOT dishing out slashing penalties when the hands are hit but are too focused on broken sticks.

E. Staal knocked Johnny Hockey out with a similar slash.  Seems to be going around.  What happened to strictly calling things?  Oh yeah, pretty boys are immune.  Never mind.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

E. Staal knocked Johnny Hockey out with a similar slash.  Seems to be going around.  What happened to strictly calling things?  Oh yeah, pretty boys are immune.  Never mind.

Sid always get's special treatment. Here is a good one.

Two nights ago, everything fell the Canes' way.  Last night, nothing fell their way. Both the Islanders and Tampa Bay won, damaging the Canes' playoff prospects.  Both won in OT, which doesn't matter in this case because the opposing teams are not in the mix.

Today is a different story.  The Islanders/Boston game is HUGE, not just for the Canes, but for overall positioning.  THIS is the game the Canes do not want to be a 3 pointer.  Both are at 82 pts, but Isle have a magic bean, so kind of have to cheer for a clean Boston win.   A Boston win in OT is very, very bad for the Canes.

In other news: "Let's go Buffalo!"  (more vomit in mouth)

This is what you get for losing control of your destiny.

14 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yah, but that piece of *edit* can do this.

Been there , done that. But that was before video and just before I was able to drink legally.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Two nights ago, everything fell the Canes' way.  Last night, nothing fell their way. Both the Islanders and Tampa Bay won, damaging the Canes' playoff prospects.  Both won in OT, which doesn't matter in this case because the opposing teams are not in the mix.

Today is a different story.  The Islanders/Boston game is HUGE, not just for the Canes, but for overall positioning.  THIS is the game the Canes do not want to be a 3 pointer.  Both are at 82 pts, but Isle have a magic bean, so kind of have to cheer for a clean Boston win.   A Boston win in OT is very, very bad for the Canes.

In other news: "Let's go Buffalo!"  (more vomit in mouth)

This is what you get for losing control of your destiny.

Well got everything you wanted. 5 points out of the last playoff spot and we have 2 games in hand.

of the 4 teams in a serious hunt for the last spot, Islanders may have the easiest route, followed by the Lightning, us, then Boston.

It's still a steep uphill climb, but so far they're doing it.  I hope Lindholm is truly OK after that non-call, because if he isn't, the climb will be considerably steeper.

Time to make those magic beans pay off...

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:29 AM, canes2017 said:

Another Nice solid Win!

Good puck pressure, solid defense and Goaltending- with the exception of rask's boneheaded slash that almost ruined night at end... Even got an empty netter. Well now the Rubber meets the road( pun intended)- we find out this week if the canes can really have a run in them, or was just a nice blip on radar.. with 4 road games, the canes tonight can potentially jump philly and florida in standings and tamp later in week. Trying to be realistic, but last few nights sure have felt good.

Well, the canes sure made a believer of me this week.. did exactly what needed to do.. Do not know if will make it, sure going to make tomorrow and Tuesday meaningful nights at the PNC arena, which has been awhile for that :) 

Still do not control our own destiny now, but at least close enough now that after Tuesday can put pressure on other teams with a quick 4 pts..The big problem for canes this yr has been how bad on the road they had been- nice to see that turn around this week

Go canes!

Edited by canes2017

And shame on the N/O today!

Nothing..nada..zippo on canes in the sunday paper!.. Want to say game ended "late" to not be in for score, fine( though in today's computer age, don't buy even that).. but to not even have a 'fluff" piece on the recent win streak.. a lindolm or skinner article.. or a aho in the race for rookie of year article, just plain embarrassing. As the only professional team of the big 4 in Raleigh- to not have anything plain awful

Saw a post on Facebook that Patrick Brown has been reassigned to Charlotte, but can't find confirmation.  Despite the hot streak we're on, he's pointless and -6 in 14 games in the NHL this season.  McClement back?  Zykov?  Someone else going to be called up?

23 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Saw a post on Facebook that Patrick Brown has been reassigned to Charlotte, but can't find confirmation.  Despite the hot streak we're on, he's pointless and -6 in 14 games in the NHL this season.  McClement back?  Zykov?  Someone else going to be called up?

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/hurricanes-reassign-patrick-brown-to-charlotte-checkers/c-288109224

Didn't see anything about who steps back in, though . . .

The Canes play Detroit Monday and Tuesday Detroit is playing the Wild in Detroit right now. I thought the league didn"t allow games on three consecutive days.

4 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

The Canes play Detroit Monday and Tuesday Detroit is playing the Wild in Detroit right now. I thought the league didn"t allow games on three consecutive days.

One of those is a make-up game for the one that was canceled due to melted ice at PNC earlier this season.

Edited by LakeLivin

Wings aren't good this year, but they're not Avs bad or even Preds bad.  They're only 3 games under hockey .500, and if the Canes go into the game thinking they've got 2 because they're playing a bottom dweller, they'll likely cut short our slim (but growing) hopes for a miracle run that gets us into the playoffs.  I hope Peters is reminding the team about the season ending game against Florida back in 2008, as well as what happened against Avs and Preds just 3 weeks ago.  

Edited by LakeLivin

5 hours ago, canes2017 said:

And shame on the N/O today!

Nothing..nada..zippo on canes in the sunday paper!..

N&O is owned by "Big News" from California.  They don't care about anything else hockey except the Sharks (and anything Pittsburgh -- look it up), so I guess they don't have enough money to pay for a backup for Chip.   Something about people not getting the newspaper anymore and going to the internet, or so I hear.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

One of those is a make-up game for the one that was canceled due to melted ice at PNC earlier this season.

Yes, this is extraordinary.  The NHL also adjusted yesterday's Wild game to be early.  The Wild had to travel and were not thrilled about that and thus the change so they could have last night off.  And the Canes have another 5 in 7.  So, all three teams have something to complain about.  Thanks, broken compressor!

16 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Well got everything you wanted. 5 points out of the last playoff spot and we have 2 games in hand.

of the 4 teams in a serious hunt for the last spot, Islanders may have the easiest route, followed by the Lightning, us, then Boston.

Yes.  I got what I wanted.  But, yep, that doesn't mean anything unless the Canes keep winning.  Other teams still have it a bit easier.  Even winning out does not guaranty a playoff (although the odds are for it).  Just keep winning and they will be in the mix.

Edited by wxray1

The hill is steep, but at least we have a chance. Was it Ottawa that got in last year by winning their last 10 or so? It's been done. Even if we don't quite get there, I hope all those who wanted us to tank for draft position with 20 games to go see the value of seeing our young players shine in critical late season games. I'm thinking of Lindholm and Aho foremost, but Skinner is reasserting himself, Eddie is finally looking like a potential NHL starter, and the team overall is playing great. Whatever happens in the next 2 weeks, these guys need to play the first 10 next year like they played the 10 they just finished.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

The hill is steep, but at least we have a chance. Was it Ottawa that got in last year by winning their last 10 or so? It's been done. Even if we don't quite get there, I hope all those who wanted us to tank for draft position with 20 games to go see the value of seeing our young players shine in critical late season games. I'm thinking of Lindholm and Aho foremost, but Skinner is reasserting himself, Eddie is finally looking like a potential NHL starter, and the team overall is playing great. Whatever happens in the next 2 weeks, these guys need to play the first 10 next year like they played the 10 they just finished.

No matter what, I think it's great that they seem to be having fun, they believe they can do it and there is a noticeable increase in everyone's effort as a result.  They are all hitting more, playing all out.  That can't be bad that they found another level.

• Like 1