The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

45 minutes ago, hag65 said:

No matter what, I think it's great that they seem to be having fun, they believe they can do it and there is a noticeable increase in everyone's effort as a result.  They are all hitting more, playing all out.  That can't be bad that they found another level.

Yep

11 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

The hill is steep, but at least we have a chance. Was it Ottawa that got in last year by winning their last 10 or so? It's been done. Even if we don't quite get there, I hope all those who wanted us to tank for draft position with 20 games to go see the value of seeing our young players shine in critical late season games. I'm thinking of Lindholm and Aho foremost, but Skinner is reasserting himself, Eddie is finally looking like a potential NHL starter, and the team overall is playing great. Whatever happens in the next 2 weeks, these guys need to play the first 10 next year like they played the 10 they just finished.

I want the canes to win...but history of the canes has proven over and over and over.. late season win streaks *do not impact* the following season.. while its nice to think there will be a carry-over.. been down the road too often with canes thinking that and we start 2-8 the next year despite "hot" to end a season.

That said, GO CANES! and hope the sweep the dead wings next 2 nights

Edited by canes2017

Its amazing what we can do when the puck finds the back of the net.  I think Forslund said we were the #1 scoring team in March.  Combine that with NHL caliber goaltending, no wonder we are streaking now.  If we take both against the Wings, things will get REALLY interesting in the standings.

No teams are pushovers as the Canes learned that first hand v Avs and Yotes. That said Canes should beat Wings. Its fashionable to say its the late season games that really matter/must win games but looking back at the season and the blown opportunities the fact is all games matter. These two games against the Wings could have been great padding of points because we were already in.  That said, just win Canes and make the next 2 weeks fun for all. I would go with Lack until he falters. Would be nice to see what he can do in the clutch wearing red.

4 hours ago, canes2017 said:

I want the canes to win...but history of the canes has proven over and over and over.. late season win streaks *do not impact* the following season.. while its nice to think there will be a carry-over.. been down the road too often with canes thinking that and we start 2-8 the next year despite "hot" to end a season.

True that, c2017, but you, as well as several who bring this point up, forget that this is a different team, with different and much younger players, whom I suspect are hungrier, and more apt to have "carry over" feelings from this year's failure? I guess we'll just have to wait until October to see if your prediction is true, unless??? 

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

True that, c2017, but you, as well as several who bring this point up, forget that this is a different team, with different and much younger players, whom I suspect are hungrier, and more apt to have "carry over" feelings from this year's failure? I guess we'll just have to wait until October to see if your prediction is true, unless??? 

Hey, hope you are 100% right, and i'm 100% wrong...I'm soooooo very tired of bad starts to season's just buzz killing not just me, but the whole mood of the Arena. I guess I've just become very jaded and skeptical of the "hope" that gets dashed the following year. I really do wish "this time" is different

1 minute ago, canes2017 said:

Hey, hope you are 100% right, and i'm 100% wrong...I'm soooooo very tired of bad starts to season's just buzz killing not just me, but the whole mood of the Arena. I guess I've just become very jaded and skeptical of the "hope" that gets dashed the following year. I really do wish "this time" is different

I assure you, I'm right there with you friend.

6 hours ago, canes2017 said:

In my myriad of posts over the years, I've been making this point, and obviously it has proven to be true up to now.

The odd thing is that I feel myself being sucked into "this time could be different".  Not only because this is a very young team trying to make it's mark, but because key players are stepping up from earlier to now. I've gone through several key guys, but here's just 4:

1. Lindholm. Come on, this guy has arrived. I've been predicting and hoping and trying to excuse, etc. etc. and he's been playing better but not producing for over a season, but suddenly he's taken that step from good to productive. He has 42 points after spotting the first half of the season with very few. Since December 23 (41 games) he's been on a .8 ppg pace (66 points for year), and over his last 11 games he's been on a 1.1 ppg and an a .36 goals/game pace (30 goals, 90 points projected). And look at the effect it has had.

I don't think Lindy goes an entire year on a 30G 90PT pace next year, but he is going to be that elite forward we drafted that we did not have in the first half.

2. Lack. Eddie is finally getting a chance and is proving that he has more chops than some thought. I go get another goalie to push him, but if Eddie can be a mid range #1 goalie that would be huge.

3. Hanifin. Maybe I'm over-hyping him since I'm not getting much agreement on here, but I think he has stepped his game way up after the trade deadline. Give him an entire offseason and he comes back strong next year.

4. Teravainen. He is on pace to finish with 43-44 points, a nice incremental increase from his previous best year. But he too has been producing at a higher level recently, over the past 15 games he is on a .67 ppg which would be 55 points. He's a complementary player, but at 50 points that's a very nice complementary player.

I pick these 4 guys out because they have found their game in this winning streak specifically, and THAT should carry over to next year.

There also will be effects on young Aho and others. Personally I wonder along with Top if Rask might be nursing something and come back stronger next year. I do think that many others from Slavin to Pesce to PDG/McGinn are buying in during this streak, and that could have more carry over than typical.

I agree that typically the wins at the end of the year have essentially no carryover and certainly not enough to be worth dropping down the draft board. But this very young team finding that they can make the system work and key players finding their game will matter.

My main fear is that Francis looks at this run and thinks, "I like our group. We don't need to add anything." I don't really think he'll do that, but I hope not. I would say what this run should show, is that this team is closer than people think, so add a key piece or two and go.

It should also show what this team can do in front of good goaltending.

Edited by remkin

My main fear is that Francis looks at this run and thinks, "I like our group. We don't need to add anything." I don't really think he'll do that, but I hope not. I would say what this run should show, is that this team is closer than people think, so add a key piece or two and go.

That is def. a worry imo- still need 1-2 more scoring forwards and a goaltender this summer..

1 hour ago, remkin said:

In my myriad of posts over the years, I've been making this point, and obviously it has proven to be true up to now.

The odd thing is that I feel myself being sucked into "this time could be different".  Not only because this is a very young team trying to make it's mark, but because key players are stepping up from earlier to now. I've gone through several key guys, but here's just 4:

1. Lindholm. Come on, this guy has arrived. I've been predicting and hoping and trying to excuse, etc. etc. and he's been playing better but not producing for over a season, but suddenly he's taken that step from good to productive. He has 42 points after spotting the first half of the season with very few. Since December 23 (41 games) he's been on a .8 ppg pace (66 points for year), and over his last 11 games he's been on a 1.1 ppg and an a .36 goals/game pace (30 goals, 90 points projected). And look at the effect it has had.

I don't think Lindy goes an entire year on a 30G 90PT pace next year, but he is going to be that elite forward we drafted that we did not have in the first half.

2. Lack. Eddie is finally getting a chance and is proving that he has more chops than some thought. I go get another goalie to push him, but if Eddie can be a mid range #1 goalie that would be huge.

3. Hanifin. Maybe I'm over-hyping him since I'm not getting much agreement on here, but I think he has stepped his game way up after the trade deadline. Give him an entire offseason and he comes back strong next year.

4. Teravainen. He is on pace to finish with 43-44 points, a nice incremental increase from his previous best year. But he too has been producing at a higher level recently, over the past 15 games he is on a .67 ppg which would be 55 points. He's a complementary player, but at 50 points that's a very nice complementary player.

I pick these 4 guys out because they have found their game in this winning streak specifically, and THAT should carry over to next year.

There also will be effects on young Aho and others. Personally I wonder along with Top if Rask might be nursing something and come back stronger next year. I do think that many others from Slavin to Pesce to PDG/McGinn are buying in during this streak, and that could have more carry over than typical.

I agree that typically the wins at the end of the year have essentially no carryover and certainly not enough to be worth dropping down the draft board. But this very young team finding that they can make the system work and key players finding their game will matter.

No just no.  Francis better get some help this off season!  I have heard this over and over and the result is always the same.  Make acquisitions this off season or miss the playoffs again.  The bottom line here Rem, is with all that talent you just listed the Hurricanes still managed to miss the playoffs (I am fairly confident they will miss the playoffs this year).

Edited by bluedevil58

I'm not about to buy that RF "likes our group" again this summer.  In my opinion, he has to make a couple of moves to at least bring in a scoring forward and a goalie.  I'd be much more comfortable with 2 forwards and a goalie, but at least the one.

Going forward, there's no way I put my trust in Lack at this point. I don't trust a great single season for a "new-ish" goalie, let alone a string of less than 10 games. He had a very good half year in Vancouver and mixed results the rest of his NHL career.  While it's possible that he's playing as well as he is because he found a rhythm after a decent string of starts, it's also possible that he's still inconsistent but on a hot streak.  And I don't know how much the Canes D is contributing to his new found success, either.  I do sense that the D is playing quite well lately; I see them cleaning up a lot of stuff in the crease that other teams would be getting to earlier this year.

Don't get me wrong, I go with Eddie the rest of the year (with off games as appropriate), unless he spits the bit.  But no way do I count on him as our #1 going forward.  I like the idea of getting someone else with good #1 potential and if Eddie continues to play well, letting the 2 battle it out, as rem suggested.   .

On Lindholm: when they were interviewing him after the Habs game he had his jersey off and I noticed that he seemed really "thick".  In a rock-solid, Julian Gauthier kind of way. I wonder how much his physical development has contributed to his recent rise in performance?

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

No just no.  Francis better get some help this off season!  I have heard this over and over and the result is always the same.  Make acquisitions this off season or miss the playoffs again.  The bottom line here Rem, is with all that talent you just listed the Hurricanes still managed to miss the playoffs (I am fairly confident they will miss the playoffs this year).

BD58. Please take note:

What I am responding to is a caveat to my long held belief (which history has proven) that winning games at the end of the year has no bearing on next year. That the effect of moving up the draft board is more important than "learning to win" at the end of another bad season. (Exception is flat tanking. That would lead to a negative effect, and really can't be done overtly).

I am thinking that this year is different, and winning like this, at the end of the year, even with the dropping on the draft board, is good in the long run, and the main reason is that certain players are finding their game within the system. And those players are very likely to continue on that path, and that will be good.

But if you read my second to last paragraph (of my post you quoted), or just about anything I've posted on this topic for pretty much the entire off-season through the year, I continue to think that Francis needs to add something. Could this very team, on it's improvement slope make the playoffs with no changes next year? Absolutely. But: 1. The goal is not to just make the playoffs, Francis himself set the bar at yearly cup contention. 2. This market needs a splash move to create interest. 3. This team needs playoffs next year. That's 3 reasons not to rest on this team getting their by young guys improving alone.

My take, were I the man, would be that this late season winning, (and the mid-season winning) shows that this team is close. Thus adding a piece or two WOULD be enough to at least make the playoffs next year, then allow all those prospects growing in our system to grow and keep it going beyond next year.

Bottom line: this team is showing that it's worth adding the right piece to. I think Francis will really try to do that to. I am just hoping I'm right about that.

Edited by remkin

27 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I like the idea of getting someone else with good #1 potential and if Eddie continues to play well, letting the 2 battle it out, as rem suggested.

This. Whether Eddie keeps it going or not at the moment, I would say. Of Cam and him, he's the "keeper" keeper this summer.

1 hour ago, canes2017 said:

That is def. a worry imo- still need 1-2 more scoring forwards and a goaltender this summer..

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I'm wondering if RF is second guessing his decision to be a seller and not a buyer at this point in time. I don't believe he will hold pat in the off season....unless he want's a revolt!

Edited by slapshot02

54 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I'm wondering if RF is second guessing his decision to be a seller and not a buyer at this point in time. I don't believe he will hold pat in the off season....unless he want's a revolt!

I'd be very surprised if he was.  Getting into the playoffs would be a nice feat, but this wasn't the year to mortgage anything in an effort to go all the way.  And in the meantime he moved a couple players who weren't in the plans for next year, and brought in more future.  I don't think he'll hold pat either, but buying at the trade deadline wouldn't have been the time.

I wasn't referring to mortgaging anything. Picking up a player or two never would of gotten us to go all the way. Francis did state that he went from buyer mode to seller mode when we slumped. I was thinking of the move to get us a player that would benefit us not only this year but in the future. Since we are still in it mathematically could that one or two buys put us in a better position to at least get us to round one this year and better us in the future?

Well, obviously, thoughts and prayers to Eddie. Just when he was getting a real streak of solid play going too. He gave a thumbs up going off the ice, so we can hope, but his head took a wicked snap back. I'm afraid that's concussion #3 and season over. Praying it was all precautionary and he'll be able to come back before the season is done.

As far as offseason moves, we are bursting with young prospects and no way does Ron need to step up and pick 7 players in 3 rounds. I was in the trade Faulk camp, but after seeing what a weapon he is tonight, maybe Hanifan or another D prospect plus picks can bring home a goal scorer if not a 1C. Lindholm laid out the best hit I've seen from the Canes all year tonight, and his playmaking the last month has been outstanding. Maybe he is growing into that 1C.

• Like 1

Yup, when Faulk plays this way there's no reason to trade him. Have I mentioned that we could solve two problems at once by making him a winger? Oh. Right. I have. Sorry.

The roller coaster of a season and my emotions continues... just when think despite looking like on dead legs, skinner scores to take lead.. feel better.. detriot scores not 1, but 2 break-away goals in a little over a minute, *edit*?.. back to thinking about puking..getting depressed.. BOOM! faulk with a goal right before end of second to raise spirits..canes again seem lackadaisical in 3rd and detriot the better team... finally detriot scores, and back to bummed.. hey- we never score at end with extra man, right?.. boom! another bomb from faulk !! and Overtime, baby!...This is the "new canes", right? they will win in O.T!... skinner can't finish the breakaway.. detriot a breakaway off the goalie pads( *edit*??).. boom ! game over...lack hurt( so glad he is ok!).. another frustrating game and wasted point..

Here's to hoping its revenge night tonight- and can the canes in camp and next year please spend more time on 3-3 drills, so we look better and can actually stop being the worst in league at O.T.