The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yup, when Faulk plays this way there's no reason to trade him. Have I mentioned that we could solve two problems at once by making him a winger? Oh. Right. I have. Sorry.

He's pinching so much lately he way as well be a winger.  Actually the whole D is, I do like it.

20 hours ago, remkin said:

3. Hanifin. Maybe I'm over-hyping him since I'm not getting much agreement on here, but I think he has stepped his game way up after the trade deadline. Give him an entire offseason and he comes back strong next year.

I think maybe you are seeing what you want to see because I'm not seeing the same thing.  But I rarely see the D play the way everybody else does anyway, so I'll just leave it there.

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

He's pinching so much lately he way as well be a winger.  Actually the whole D is, I do like it.

He's been pinching all year, he's just making better decisions about when to do it. I think he was so keyed to make a diff earlier in the year that he took chances he couldn't recover from.  Seriously, letting him play wing opens a D slot, gets us that big RW, and avoids dealing our other young D. We tried it with Murph, but with Faulk it could actually work.

I just don't get it. Why would we make Faulk a forward. Offensive Dmen like Faulk don't come along everyday. Paired correctly he is a force to be reckoned with. Why would we want to disrupt that.

13 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I just don't get it. Why would we make Faulk a forward. Offensive Dmen like Faulk don't come along everyday. Paired correctly he is a force to be reckoned with. Why would we want to disrupt that.

I'm with you.  Faulk isn't particulary fast, he's at best an ok puck handler (by forward standards), and he hasn't got great hands.  His big plus is that howitzer of a shot.  Why turn a very good offensive d-man into what would likely be a mediocre winger?

Edited by LakeLivin

49 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think maybe you are seeing what you want to see because I'm not seeing the same thing.  But I rarely see the D play the way everybody else does anyway, so I'll just leave it there.

I appreciate the input. You've always watched the D carefully, and I watch them more sporadically. If I had to pick between our d assessments I'd generally go with yours.

But I'm seeing a new Hanifin since he was elevated at the deadline. Of course the whole team has been playing better of late, so that helps. I know you're not a fan of the plus-minus stat, but for what it's worth Hanifin was I think up to -21 before that, and has been +4 since then (15 games or so). Not trying to insist I'm right, because the whole team is plus since then. 

I guess the question is this: will Hanifin become an elite all around defenseman? Will Hanifin be notably better than Fleury (or even Bean). If the answer is no, then he could be traded for the right return. I still think yes, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

I just read the projected guesses from ESPN hockey pundits on who they project to be picked by Vegas in the expansion draft.  To a man they thought it would be Stempniak that would be the choice from the Canes players exposed in the expansion draft.

They did note that it was only from the list of probable unprotected players and didn't include possible side deals to protect players.

So has an all star D man every been switched to forward for real?  I can't imagine that happening.  Interesting discussion but I've never heard of that happening, especially with a 5-6 year veteran all star.   I think Faulk is a great D man when he is on his game, he's also a great scoring D man when he's on his game.

6 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I just read the projected guesses from ESPN hockey pundits on who they project to be picked by Vegas in the expansion draft.  To a man they thought it would be Stempniak that would be the choice from the Canes players exposed in the expansion draft.

They did note that it was only from the list of probable unprotected players and didn't include possible side deals to protect players.

That's not ideal. I mean he is our #7, so it could be worse, but he is on pace for 41 points this year, which is pretty dang good from the #7 slot, and he's a plus player on a decidedly minus team (same number as Jordan). Ryan has a 36 point pace. But next is McGinn at a 22 point pace, and PDG at 18.

We could expose PDG or McGinn in theory.

I know we only have Stemp for one more year, but for what we pay he's a good one. This expansion draft is a pain in the hinder.

1 minute ago, remkin said:

This expansion draft is a pain in the hinder.

It gonna hurt no matter who we lose. We would be forced to replace Stemper  as a priority. Maybe it won't happen as we all know the "experts" aren't always right.

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

It gonna hurt no matter who we lose. We would be forced to replace Stemper  as a priority. Maybe it won't happen as we all know the "experts" aren't always right.

I wonder if we exposed, say PDG, and Nestracil, Ward and Murphy, who they'd take. I guess probably PDG. I know the PDG has upside, but McGinn brings much of the same thing, and I just think we need Stempniak's points and veteran leadership next year. Still, after that, not so sure on Stempniak. If PDG finds his offesne, he is obviously a lot younger with more runway ahead of him.

I may be out on a limb here, but I think I'd rather have them take Ward. Not sure how the NTC thing works though. Would Ward have to waive it?

And that does raise the issue. Can we put Ward on that unprotected list with his limited NTC? I am assuming he would have to waive it?

How about a crazy conspiracy theory? Peters was pushing Eddie's stock down so he didn't get snatched at the expansion draft*. If Ward had to be protected, then Eddie will have to be exposed. After his recent play, maybe he gets taken?

*I don't actually believe it, but something to consider for a second.

Edited by remkin

We will re up PDG and McGinn, also TT (RFA).

Ryan is a UFA next year too.

I think the problem is the number we can protect is 7 forwards. Staal, Skinner, Lindholm, Rask, and Teravainen has to be locked in for 5. Who are the other two? CanesCountry  has them as PDG and McGinn. Exposing Stempniak and Nordstrom.

Edited by remkin

So far when Francis has had a choice of trading or re-signing a younger player  or a veteran his history is protecting the younger player.  The beauty and curse of rebuilding.

That can and will change but maybe not quite yet

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Lack update

Lack Diagnosed with Neck Strain

Glad lack is o.k. Whew!

And surprised in the secretive world of hockey injuries he isn't listed as a "lower body injury" or "strained ankle" :)

1 hour ago, danimal-ch1 said:

So has an all star D man every been switched to forward for real?  I can't imagine that happening.  Interesting discussion but I've never heard of that happening, especially with a 5-6 year veteran all star.   I think Faulk is a great D man when he is on his game, he's also a great scoring D man when he's on his game.

Byfuglien?   For a while.  He's back at D.

Edited by hag65

2 hours ago, remkin said:

We will re up PDG and McGinn, also TT (RFA).

Ryan is a UFA next year too.

I think the problem is the number we can protect is 7 forwards. Staal, Skinner, Lindholm, Rask, and Teravainen has to be locked in for 5. Who are the other two? CanesCountry  has them as PDG and McGinn. Exposing Stempniak and Nordstrom.

I'd expose PDG before we expose Stemper. Stemps points are pretty reliable year after year and can be slotted all over the lineup. We need to have some type of veteran presence. Even more important if we do not acquire a veteran in the off season. 

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

Byfuglien?   For a while.  He's back at D.

Brent Burns as well, but he is back on D and may win the Norris trophy this year.

6 hours ago, OBXer said:

I just don't get it. Why would we make Faulk a forward.

So we don't have to trade him to get one... because he'd instantly bring more grit to the forward lines... because he seems to enjoy the O-zone more than the D-zone... because he could still shift to the point on the PP... because we need to make room for our younger D... because in addition to the slapper, he has great snap and wrist shots... because if he can put up 15 goals from the blue line, what might he do with more O-zone presence?...

No reason...

Edited by top-shelf-1

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Wouldn't we have to first re-up any of McGinn, PDG, or Nesty in order to expose them?  We could also expose Nordstrom if necessary.   

Based on this, i'm going to say Nesty isn't going to re-up.

http://www.canescountry.com/2017/3/28/15087374/carolina-hurricanes-andrej-nestrasil-charlotte-checkers-czech-republic-world-championships

5 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Yow. See ya, Nesty. No hard feelings, but daaay-am. Nordy accepted that other guys passed him and has played the role he's been asked to. 

Have to say, I thought BP might call him up for this two-game set, playing his old team and all. Now I know why he didn't.