The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

Can't say it's a big surprise. Chalk up another waiver wire meh. The guy gave us some nice minutes playing with Jordan last year, but really, he is another of the type of guys we need to elevate beyond to be the team we want to be.

I don't really blame him though. He was pretty much of a regular then not so much, then AHL. Gotta be frustrating, but really, we weren't re-signing him anyways, and probably no other NHL team does either to be honest.

As to calling him back up, the guy hasn't done much in the AHL either. .35 ppg over 25 games and 4 goals. PDG was at .61 ppg and younger, and brings most of what Nesty brings. If anyone else deserves to get called up but hasn't, I'd look at Poturalski, still leading the team in points and ppg (.74).

Overall seemed like a good guy. Nice knowin' ya and good luck in Europe.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yow. See ya, Nesty. No hard feelings, but daaay-am. Nordy accepted that other guys passed him and has played the role he's been asked to. 

Have to say, I thought BP might call him up for this two-game set, playing his old team and all. Now I know why he didn't.

Nordy just scored after being cross checked to oblivion by Mike Green.  He's showing what it takes to stick.

• Like 1

Here's the rundown:

Team     Points     Games Remaining  ROW

Leafs      87                    7                   35

Bruins     86                    6                  37

Bolts       83                    7                   33

Isles       82                    7                   33

Canes    82                    7                   32 

One magic bean in our pocket on Boston. Looks like we'd need to finish ahead of Boston but could still catch Bolts and Isles in ROWs if we end up tied with them. Too soon to bother looking up the 2nd tiebreaker situation.

edit: added Leafs to the mix.  Note that one of Leafs or Bruins will take the 3rd spot in the Atlantic, so we don't need to pass both of them.

Edited by LakeLivin

Well...love the streak, but I wanna take the time to congratulate the organization for now owning the longest current playoff-less streak in the league at 8 years, since Edmonton clinched tonight.  I have faith that next season will end the streak, but jeez...what a painful past 8 years for us fans.

With the Boston and Toronto wins last night, the Canes tread water.  Simply put, they have to win, win, win, win, win, win and win.

16 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

With the Boston and Toronto wins last night, the Canes tread water.  Simply put, they have to win, win, win, win, win, win and win.

I fear the lost point Monday is going to haunt them.  They needed every point they could get and then half the team brought their B game (aside from TT, who i'm not even sure brought his D).  Thankfully Faulk was one who brought his A because he pretty much snagged the point they got on his own.  But what's done is done - all they can do is bring it every night from here and hope for help from elsewhere (at least we play one more 4-point game - wish they all were).

8 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I fear the lost point Monday is going to haunt them.  They needed every point they could get and then half the team brought their B game (aside from TT, who i'm not even sure brought his D).  Thankfully Faulk was one who brought his A because he pretty much snagged the point they got on his own.  But what's done is done - all they can do is bring it every night from here and hope for help from elsewhere (at least we play one more 4-point game - wish they all were).

Well, if the team played even .500 in OT hockey all season, they'd be right there.  There's a lot of haunting.  I'm sure it will be a big topic in a few weeks.

7 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Well, if the team played even .500 in OT hockey all season, they'd be right there.  There's a lot of haunting.  I'm sure it will be a big topic in a few weeks.

Can't argue with that either.

Interestingly Sportsclubstats has our chances 7% weighted, 12% unweighted. I'm thinking all of those home games Boston has, but not sure.

Remaining games for EWC#2 (and Atlantic #3) with "4-point"  games in bold:

TOR: @Nashville, @Detroit, @Buffalo, Washington, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Columbus (35 ROW) (we are 5 back)
BOS: Dallas, Florida, @Chicago, Tampa, Ottawa, Washington (38 ROW) (we are 4 back)
TBL: Detroit, Montreal, Dallas, @Boston, @Toronto, @Montreal, Buffalo (33 ROW) (we are 1 back)
NYI: @Philadelphia, New Jersey, @Buffalo, @Nashville, @Carolina, @New Jersey, Ottawa (33 ROW) (we are even)
CAR: Columbus, Dallas, @Pittsburgh, @Minnesota, NYI, St. Louis, @Philadelphia (32 ROW) (we are we)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

Interestingly Sportsclubstats has our chances 7% weighted, 12% unweighted. I'm thinking all of those home games Boston has, but not sure.

Yeah.  It is giving the advantage to the home team.

Canes are still a longshot.  This will not be easy.  I think a win out will do it.  A 6-0-1 probably will do it.  I suspect a 6-1-0 just won't be enough, but of course that depends heavily on the other teams.

And, if BOS, TOR, TB or NYI go on a mega-run, then it is over.  Things will probably be clearer by Sunday.

1 minute ago, wxray1 said:

Yeah.  It is giving the advantage to the home team.

Canes are still a longshot.  This will not be easy.  I think a win out will do it.  A 6-0-1 probably will do it.  I suspect a 6-1-0 just won't be enough, but of course that depends heavily on the other teams.

And, if BOS, TOR, TB or NYI go on a mega-run, then it is over.  Things will probably be clearer by Sunday.

We can handle a BOS, TOR, or TB mega-run as long as the rest falter.  A NYI run, forget about it.  Going to have to beat them in regulation - even letting them hang on until overtime could be devastating, and that's even presuming we win everything between now and then.

Looking at Toronto's remaining games and their issue with goalie right now...I could see them missing the playoffs if everyone else stays hot. That is probably the toughest schedule remaining.

Edited by MinJaBen

Whether they sneak in or miss the playoffs lets hope that the team doesn't fall into a feel good fantasy land mentality thinking they maybe don't need a UFA scoring forward or goalie. I dislike the comments I usually hear from BP about 'they're a good group of guys in the dressing room.'  I want him to say they're a win at any cost group of guys in the dressing room.  The reason we're on the outside looking in and likely will be at seasons end is for lack of goals and lack of goaltending. We still need significant help to be found/bought from outside our org.

I'd be surprised if anyone was in a fantasy land, but the variable remains that even if GMRF sees the need, it always takes two to tango - whether that partner is a GM willing to trade with him or a FA willing to sign here.  But i do fully expect he'll be making the attempts, same as he has since becoming GM.

TheHockeyNews has a rundown on the 5 teams competing for the last 2 Eastern playoff spots (3rd place in the Atlantic and the last wild card spot).

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/a-closer-look-at-the-five-team-race-for-the-final-eastern-conference-wild-card-spot

Some excerpts:

• Since the start of March, Carolina has taken 23 of a possible 32 points, dropping just two games in regulation along the way. Possibly more impressive than the rate they’ve been winning at is the fact the offense has also been the league’s most lethal over the past month. It’s not a star-studded group, but coach Bill Peters has to be in the conversation as one of the most effective bench bosses in the league. He’s taken a severely underrated group and made them incredibly competitive.
  • Despite scoring 52 goals over the past month, Carolina’s goal differential is a mere plus-10. The 42 goals the Hurricanes have allowed are the eighth-most since March 1.
  • The Hurricanes have the second-toughest schedule based on average opponent point total (89.6) of the five teams in the running for the wild-card spot.

Edited by LakeLivin

32 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Some excerpts:

• Since the start of March, Carolina has taken 23 of a possible 32 points, dropping just two games in regulation along the way. Possibly more impressive than the rate they’ve been winning at is the fact the offense has also been the league’s most lethal over the past month. It’s not a star-studded group, but coach Bill Peters has to be in the conversation as one of the most effective bench bosses in the league. He’s taken a severely underrated group and made them incredibly competitive.
  • Despite scoring 52 goals over the past month, Carolina’s goal differential is a mere plus-10. The 42 goals the Hurricanes have allowed are the eighth-most since March 1.
  • The Hurricanes have the second-toughest schedule based on average opponent point total (89.6) of the five teams in the running for the wild-card spot

"Just make a $%*#ing save!"

48 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Some excerpts:

• The Hurricanes have the second-toughest schedule based on average opponent point total (89.6) of the five teams in the running for the wild-card spot

14 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

"Just make a $%*#ing save!"

That's a big part of it.  I also suspect that part of our increased productivity comes from much more aggressive play by the D, leading to more breakaways & odd-man rushes than earlier in the season.  But even if true, that trade off has clearly been advantageous.

Part of running an attacking offense with the D pinching will be the flip side of giving up more goals.  As long as the math works out, it's all good.

I think Father Sarducci's influence on the team can't be underestimated 

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

Lindholm is stringing passes as well as Cory Stillman did AND hitting while doing it. It's great to see and I'll admit I was starting to think a change of scene for Lindholm around midseason might be necessary.

We had posters though that all season loved what Lindholm was doing despite it having no visible effect on the scoreboard so good eye fellows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm very relieved that Lindy is developing into the player we hoped for.

I don't think it hurt him to play extensively with J. Staal this year.  IMO he learned a few valuable lessons and skills in that pairing.

• Like 1