The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

Okay, the foregoing helps quell my concerns. Having been concussed myself, I know that it affects different people differently, as KJUN notes. Glad (well, not glad, but you know what I mean...) that Lack's concern is apparently physical, not attitudinal. 

I do think that it matters if Lack's illness is from the concussion though. In order to get to the point that he is dressing as the back up, he needs to go through a stepwise process, where a guy has to be symptom free for a period (usually a week or more), then trying low level exertion and see if he gets symptoms, then a higher level, etc. If at any point he has significant symptoms its off, then back to the beginning. In this case, it would appear that Lack had passed all of those hurdles and was ready to play.

It would be a bit unusual to have more symptoms after progressing, but it does happen. Still, that would  be a setback that might mean a least another week to more. At some point the Canes would need to decide if Leighton is the guy, and if not...

Well getting to SD's point about riding Cam. We are going to need to have a back up that is not our equipment manager.

IF on the other hand, Eddie had a touch of whatever TT has, then he should be back fairly quickly.

Edited by remkin

I've got to believe that whenever Lack is ready to play again, mgmt would like to give him at least a couple of games on a conditioning stint in Charlotte before sticking him back in the Canes net.  He hasn't played since Nov 6th!!  But I wonder if they're concerned that in order to do that they'll have to expose Leighton to waivers when he goes back down?  I'm not sure if there are any other NHL teams in need of a backup, but if so, seems you could do worse than Leighton at $700k.   And Leighton seems really important to the Checkers (not that that would drive the decision, but I've got to believe they'd at least take it into consideration).

Edited by LakeLivin

Eddie has a concussion.  Altshuller called up.  Let's put the theories to rest for now.  (And hopefully that horrible GIF will roll off my screen.  I'm getting a concussion looking at it.)

We do have a goalie issue though, and it is nothing nefarious.  It is a #1 that is being played a lot, going into the most active sequence of the year.  And it is a #2 with long lingering concussion issues.  

Get better Eddie, save your brain.

18 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

But I wonder if they're concerned that in order to do that they'll have to expose Leighton to waivers when he goes back down?

My guess is that Leighton eventually gets the call for the second half of the season. No waiver worries, and Eddie gets to rehab in the AHL. I'll be very surprised if we see Lacko in our NHL crease the rest of the way.

19 hours ago, remkin said:

IF on the other hand, Eddie had a touch of whatever TT has

I don't think that's the case. BP specifically mentioned that Lack was "getting tested." 

11 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't think that's the case. BP specifically mentioned that Lack was "getting tested." 

More than that, they are calling it a concussion:  https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/hurricanes-recall-daniel-altshuller-from-charlotte-checkers/c-285279780

"

Eddie Lack diagnosed with a concussion

"

A couple of points.

1. I thought he was already diagnosed with a concussion. That happened already. This is post concussion syndrome unless he had a second concussion.

2. Still having significant symptoms from that initial concussion could mean this goes on a while. I'm guessing 10 days at the least, possibly more.

3. I am not confident in Altshuller, and wonder why Leighton wasn't tapped:

Altshuller...

"has posted a 1-2-0 record, a 3.44 goal-against average and a .844 save percentage this season in five appearances with the Checkers".

I hope he has looked better than his numbers. I see Cam starting a lot of games at this point.

EDIT: So apparently they say he was injured again. This implies a second concussion. I really think he's out for a while now.

Edited by remkin

I think we'll swap Leighton and Altshuller within the week, my only guess is Peters wants to see what he has in a few NHL practices. If the kid can't hang Peters will know before an NHL game. 

Cam being ridden like a rented mule doesn't concern me how you think it might. Historically he's really good when he gets tons of starts, unfortunately historically he winds up injured. We'll have no shot at the playoffs with an injured Wardo. 

Edited by legend-1

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I think we'll swap Leighton and Altshuller within the week, my only guess is Peters wants to see what he has in a few NHL practices. If the kid can't hang Peters will know before an NHL game. 

Cam being ridden like a rented mule doesn't concern me how you think it might. Historically he's really good when he gets tons of starts, unfortunately historically he winds up injured. We'll have no shot at the playoffs with an injured Wardo. 

Bingo.  Injury is my worry, not fatigue.  You can only pile drive so long, then you reach bedrock and the pile shatters.

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

unfortunately historically he winds up injured.

Agree, although I think (hope) that the way he's quieted his game since 2014 will help with that. Regardless, I think Leights joins the club in St. Louis and maybe gets that start, with Cam going the next night in Chicago. The Chex are in Grand Rapids tonight and Chicago Friday, so they're already in that part of the country. Better to let Alt travel and Leights keep playing.

Don't know how accurate these are, but here's TheHockeyNews scouting report on Rattie:

Scouting Report

Assets:
Has great hands and hockey sense, so he is a natural at putting points on the board. Can play on either side of center. Is especially dangerous on special teams.
Flaws:
Doesn't have ideal size (6-0, 178 pounds) for the National Hockey League level, so he must continue to add more bulk in order to maximize his scoring potential.
Career Potential:
Talented winger with a little upside.

We are in year 3 of the Francis/Peters era affectionately known in my mind as the rebuild to test our patience.

So how do we stack up.

Carolina 14/15 (37 games)  10-23-4  16th place    24pts     goals 73  goals against    100     20 pts out of playoff spot     

Carolina 15/16 (37 games)  15-17-5 13th place    35 pts     goals 87  goals against     106      8pts out of playoff spot

Carolina 16/17 (37 games)  16-14-7 12th place    39 pts     goals 95   goals against    101     6 pts out of playoff spot

I know that comparing season to season isn't always an equal comparison but does give you an idea or at least a benchmark.

It look like we are marginally better than last season at the same amount of games and vastly improved over the season before. The defense looks stable and our goal production slightly up.

Having said that we are only slightly better than last season and realistcly basically in the same playoff hunt position as last season. We did make it exciting last season so maybe we can make it really exciting this season.

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

We are in year 3 of the Francis/Peters era affectionately known in my mind as the rebuild to test our patience.

So how do we stack up.

Carolina 14/15 (37 games)  10-23-4  16th place    24pts     goals 73  goals against    100     20 pts out of playoff spot     

Carolina 15/16 (37 games)  15-17-5 13th place    35 pts     goals 87  goals against     106      8pts out of playoff spot

Carolina 16/17 (37 games)  16-14-7 12th place    39 pts     goals 95   goals against    101     6 pts out of playoff spot

I know that comparing season to season isn't always an equal comparison but does give you an idea or at least a benchmark.

It look like we are marginally better than last season at the same amount of games and vastly improved over the season before. The defense looks stable and our goal production slightly up.

Having said that we are only slightly better than last season and realistcly basically in the same playoff hunt position as last season. We did make it exciting last season so maybe we can make it really exciting this season.

To my eyes, when comparing last season to this one I think the goal differentials reflect the difference a lot better than the point totals (-29 last season, -6 this season).  This year I've gotten the feeling that we can compete with anybody we're matched up against (doesn't mean we win them all).  Didn't have that feeling against several teams last year.  This year I have a much stronger feeling that we can make the playoffs.  Whether we will or not is still a big question.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

This year I have a much stronger feeling that we can make the playoffs.

I do too. Maybe it is just wishful thinking but our compete level seems higher to me that at the same time last season.  That Aho looks to me that he is gaining in confidence and finding a scoring touch is encouraging. Lindy has also been playing better, When Skinner and Rask start scoring again maybe that goal differential will get better.

32nd overall pick, has pretty nice numbers in Juniors. Good numbers in the AHL, but his goal scoring has steadily declined each year. Scored 4 goals and 2 assists in 13 games with STL last season. 

Also, from Spector:

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Duchene or Landeskog could be dealt by the March 1 trade deadline. However, there aren’t many teams with the depth in young blueliners with the cap space to take on either contract. Duchene’s annual cap hit is $6 million, Landeskog’s $5.5 million. As I’ve recently observed, the Carolina Hurricanes are the only team that suitably fits the bill, but there’s no certainty GM Ron Francis wants to part with any of his young blueliners. If either guy is dealt, I still think it’ll happen near the June draft. 

Well, it looks like if Duchene or Landeskog are moved at the deadline, it'd be most likely in a deal involving us. I wonder if we would take that opportunity, being the only team with the space and the return for landing Duchene mid-season. He's young enough to be seen as a long term investment. 

Edited by SuckaPunchd

2014/15   -13

2015/16   -2

2016/17  +2

Continuing progression.  It hurt to lose to Jersey and I admit I was royally peeved last night.  Big picture, we need to right the ship fast but it's not the typical dire consequences as other years.  Get our game back.

Last night all I could think about was it was a typical Canes tease.  Get me excited just so I could be disappointed again.  But it's not over, its a marathon not a sprint.

One more thing.  Last night notwithstanding, I just like the fact that we can pass again.  That doesn't show up anywhere on the stat sheet, its a visual thing.

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion that we dropped the ball over the last 3 to 4 seasons by not totally tanking and landing someone like Matthews, Laine, McDavid, Eichel, or what other impact now forward that was drafted in that time span.  These are dynamic game changing forwards that take a tramp to the next level.  Plus, it's the only way that this team can get elite forward talent.   Until this team makes the playoffs.  The season or seasons are a complete and total failure regardless of how close we got because if we didn't get there then we have a team full of losers.  Playoffs or bust.  With the talent in this division, a forward line up full of Meh just isn't going to cut it.

Edited by bluedevil58

31 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

These are dynamic game changing forwards that take a tramp to the next level.  

IMO I would like a team full of tramps.