The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

It'll only deflate your balloon if you can't see the tremendous strides from our youth that's showing through from this run. 

Not to say we should "like our group" but this group without that 1C is darn near good enough to make the playoffs on their own. Can't imagine what an extra 60+ point player would do for it and a goalie who can at least put up league average numbers.

19 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

rem, despite my cynicism, I'm right there with you although it doesn't sound so. What creeps into my mind is the old addage, "once bitten, twice shy". Seems we, as long time Hurricanes' fan have suffered this indignity too often since 05-06. And I agree with subsequent posters, this team has been extremely fortunate on the injury front. Because we appear to have a very thin line still, between post season games and golf, I just do not want my hopes dashed by another under performing team effort., optimistic as I might be going forward.

Exactly- and stats are so easily "manipulated".. heck after skinner scored 31 goals and 63 pts his rookie yr.. we could "project" since then he has been a 35-40 goal scorer each yr and 70+ pt guy every yr just going by "statistics", right? heck jeff still hasn't broken 60 ots in a season since his rookie yr( likely will do this yr)..

The "dirty little secret" of Sports is that for the vast, vast majority of players in any sport, they actually have a 1-2 year "peak" and never hit that level again..Many in that first or 2nd year. Its much rarer to see the guy that peaks and keeps hitting those numbers( those are your superstars).. most just level off or fall back 10-30%.. like skinner has from his rookie peak.

Look at lindholm- is it much more likely his is just a 40-50 pt scorer as his career has shown so far? or more likely he will just keep improving based on a small sample size during a season that now "projects" to a 60-70 pt scorer?..i'd go with the former.

Look at rask or j staal over-all stats... during their "hot" streaks look like a PPG players,, but are consistently actually .5 players when go cold and evens out over the year

8 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Guys, those two 5-game losing streaks in Jan and Feb are going to haunt us if Toronto AND Tampa don't go on some serious losing streaks from here on out.

Welcome to losing control of your destiny.

If these two continue winning, the magic pt number looks to be 95 and 96.  For the Canes, 94 is now "iffy".  A few more continued wins by TB and TOR, and 96 will be the number.

49 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

It'll only deflate your balloon if you can't see the tremendous strides from our youth that's showing through from this run. 

Not to say we should "like our group" but this group without that 1C is darn near good enough to make the playoffs on their own. Can't imagine what an extra 60+ point player would do for it and a goalie who can at least put up league average numbers.

I am impressed by the run however missing the playoffs is still missing the playoffs.  In a league where over half the teams make it, missing the playoffs is unacceptable.  This year it was either make the playoffs or bust.  This team avoided major injuries all year and still couldn't get the job done.

Edited by bluedevil58

45 minutes ago, canes2017 said:

Exactly- and stats are so easily "manipulated".. heck after skinner scored 31 goals and 63 pts his rookie yr.. we could "project" since then he has been a 35-40 goal scorer each yr and 70+ pt guy every yr just going by "statistics", right? heck jeff still hasn't broken 60 ots in a season since his rookie yr( likely will do this yr)..

The "dirty little secret" of Sports is that for the vast, vast majority of players in any sport, they actually have a 1-2 year "peak" and never hit that level again..Many in that first or 2nd year. Its much rarer to see the guy that peaks and keeps hitting those numbers( those are your superstars).. most just level off or fall back 10-30%.. like skinner has from his rookie peak.

Look at lindholm- is it much more likely his is just a 40-50 pt scorer as his career has shown so far? or more likely he will just keep improving based on a small sample size during a season that now "projects" to a 60-70 pt scorer?..i'd go with the former.

Look at rask or j staal over-all stats... during their "hot" streaks look like a PPG players,, but are consistently actually .5 players when go cold and evens out over the year

All of which is why you search high and low for young, promising talent and keep replenishing it. I'm just thrilled that, at long last, this org has management that is committed to doing so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I am impressed by the run however missing the playoffs is still missing the playoffs.  In a league where over half the teams make it, missing the playoffs is unacceptable.  This year it was either make the playoffs or bust.  This team avoided major injuries all year and still couldn't get the job done.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Choose to ignore the facts all you want as you live in your fantasy bubble of major trades that never happen.  It's either acquire assets this off season or continue being losers.

Edited by bluedevil58
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

If you taunt the DD's they will come. Or at least breathe hard.

16 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Your words.

Where the hell is my anti-troll spray?

• Like 2

It has taken awhile, but these kids have learned how to win. Talent is talent, but learning how to play the game and win is something that needs to be learned. Regardless of playoffs, these kids have rounded a huge corner, and I see only good things going forward. I am looking at the remaining games as playoff game, so if they don't actually make the playoff, I won't be too upset. These guys have made some giant strides this past month.

You will know you've done a good job managing your expectations when you're still excited with a team that hasn't made the playoffs for 8 straight years in a league where over half the teams do. The bar is just not that high to be playing in mid April.

Ward has been great for us this year, I don't care what anyone says.  Thank you Ward for keeping hope alive on a horrid offensive team.  Now we have the most goals of any NHL team in March and Ward is winning.  I tried to say that when Ward has a confident team in front of him that is scoring goals, he is as good as any number one in the league.  Sure everyone wants to get a "number one" goal tender for next year.  Good luck, goal tenders are a gamble.  We have a solid number one that wins a lot of games when his team is playing consistent hockey in front of him.  26-20-11.  Not bad for an overworked starter on a young team with no number one center or true top line and youngest blue line around.  If only 4 of those OTL's were W's than everything would be much different right now.  I blame half of our OTL's on Ward and the other half on the fact our guys just cannot finish in OT.   I strongly believe Ward will flourish on a team that scores consistently and competes every night.  I believe that team is us next year.

7 minutes ago, danimal-ch1 said:

I seem to remember most of us thinking at best we might squeak in this year, not playoffs or bust. MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS BD58.

Don't hold your breath. He's been saying playoffs or bust all year, just to generate reactions--the definition of trolling.

I'm putting him back on ignore. Let me know if you'd like me to PM instructions for doing so.

1 minute ago, danimal-ch1 said:

Ward has been great for us this year, I don't care what anyone says.  Thank you Ward for keeping hope alive on a horrid offensive team.  Now we have the most goals of any NHL team in March and Ward is winning.  I tried to say that when Ward has a confident team in front of him that is scoring goals, he is as good as any number one in the league.  Sure everyone wants to get a "number one" goal tender for next year.  Good luck, goal tenders are a gamble.  We have a solid number one that wins a lot of games when his team is playing consistent hockey in front of him.  26-20-11.  Not bad for an overworked starter on a young team with no number one center or true top line and youngest blue line around.  If only 4 of those OTL's were W's than everything would be much different right now.  I blame half of our OTL's on Ward and the other half on the fact our guys just cannot finish in OT.   I strongly believe Ward will flourish on a team that scores consistently and competes every night.  I believe that team is us next year.

If Francis acquires some help.  We still need it.

1 minute ago, raleighcaniac said:

You will know you've done a good job managing your expectations when you're still excited with a team that hasn't made the playoffs for 8 straight years in a league where over half the teams do. The bar is just not that high to be playing in mid April.

We all know we are in rebuild.  generally takes 4-5years.  we are on year 3.  Sure it would be nice if it only took 3 but most of us know the reality of it was gonna be 4 or 5, especially with no major acquisitions last summer. 

• Like 2

So should year 4 be the make the playoffs year or bust or will that be year 5? Clearly management will never levy those make or break expectations on themselves but the people who pay to watch can.

52 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

This year it was either make the playoffs or bust.  

I've heard this all year. Please share with me any video or news quotes you have that was communicated from the organization on this subject. I don't recall PK, RF, BP, RB, making this statement. For that matter here is a list of the organization. Please pick one that has communicated  "This year it is either make the playoffs or bust".

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/team/staff

21 hours ago, MinJaBen said:

It's not any one of them that seems unreasonable or unattainable, it's the combination of all of them hitting at the same time that is what is unreasonable. It's why lottery numbers are hard to pick. One out of 50 is not bad odds, but one out of 50 six times in a row is why I don't win. 

I don't think they are unattainable either. I just haven't seen enough consistency from Rask, TT  to project solid numbers. I can't project Stemps either especially if he is in Vegas. Based on questionable numbers is a 60 point guy going to offset some of those questions? I submit that goal tending is still the weak link. Will Cam still be here? Is Eddie's head turned to mush from the Concussions? He is now appearing to be the Injury prone goalie that Cam was in years past.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

All of which is why you search high and low for young, promising talent and keep replenishing it. I'm just thrilled that, at long last, this org has management that is committed to doing so.

No doubt!.. i'm not trying to be a buzzkill.. just a realist.. the team is in much, much better shape today both at the NHL level( aho, slavin, pesce, lindolm etc) and in the pipeline( Gauthier, roy  bean, keukonen etc), then the almost bare cupboard the team had in 2010-2013...which is what has caused IMO the awful and depressing 8 yr streak of no playoffs, for awhile the canes didn't draft well, or prospect well and we unfort. have lived through the effects of that. The best thing francis ever did when took over was fire the scouting staff the brought us the drek of bowman, boychuck, dalpe,paradis,etc etc.

I'm just saying using a "hot streak" to say all these players will keep at that level next year very unrealistic. Some will just fail, some will get injured( sucks but a fact) and only having others in the pipeline to replace the failures leads to success- which we hope is what is happening now

• Like 1

Part of me would get more joy out of watching our DD's sweat should the Canes actually make it.  That might be more

4 minutes ago, canes2017 said:

No doubt!.. i'm not trying to be a buzzkill.. just a realist.. the team is in much, much better shape today both at the NHL level( aho, slavin, pesce, lindolm etc) and in the pipeline( Gauthier, roy  bean, keukonen etc), then the almost bare cupboard the team had in 2010-2013...which is what has caused IMO the awful and depressing 8 yr streak of no playoffs, for awhile the canes didn't draft well, or prospect well and we unfort. have lived through the effects of that. The best thing francis ever did when took over was fire the scouting staff the brought us the drek of bowman, boychuck, dalpe,paradis,etc etc.

I'm just saying using a "hot streak" to say all these players will keep at that level next year very unrealistic. Some will just fail, some will get injured( sucks but a fact) and only having others in the pipeline to replace the failures leads to success- which we hope is what is happening now

And let me add to your list: "and traded away the most promising prospects and young talent"

Sutter, Domoulin.  Hell, include Jack Johnson, but in retrospect, it appeared that JR was up against JJ's parents, who were unreasonable (look it up, JJ is still paying their debts) so I'll give him a pass on that.

Edited by wxray1

18 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I've heard this all year. Please share with me any video or news quotes you have that was communicated from the organization on this subject. I don't recall PK, RF, BP, RB, making this statement. For that matter here is a list of the organization. Please pick one that has communicated  "This year it is either make the playoffs or bust".

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/team/staff

That's my expectation.  This is a league where over half of the teams make it to the NHL.  I fear that once again management will wear the rose colored glasses due to this run and not make the moves needed this off season.  I can see PK being interviewed once again and saying how close we were to making it.  I hope that doesn't happen......  again.  I want this team to make the playoffs.  I don't want this team to almost make the playoffs and management and everyone else thinks the team will be fine and not do any pick ups and lean on natural progression of the young players.

Edited by bluedevil58

1 minute ago, wxray1 said:

Part of me would get more joy out of watching our DD's sweat should the Canes actually make it.  That might be more

And let me add to your list: "and traded away the most promising prospects and young talent"

Sutter, Domoulin.  Hell, include Jack Johnson, but in retrospect, it appeared that JR was up against JJ's parents, who were unreasonable (look it up, JJ is still paying their debts) so I'll give him a pass on that.

exactly!.. was going to add that  to the debacles. and then got distracted :)

add Andrew ladd to that list- Last night was so mad in 3rd, thinking "please do not let jack Johnson be the one that ends the playoff dreams, of all people"...

I shouldn't bother...  But I don't think management has any rose colored glasses.  You are right, it may be PK who continues to wear them.  So, please pray that RF somehow can manage PK.  I think that's where it gets tough.

45 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

So should year 4 be the make the playoffs year or bust or will that be year 5? Clearly management will never levy those make or break expectations on themselves but the people who pay to watch can.

Absolutely has to be next season.  If RF doesn't bring in a couple top 6 forwards this summer and make the playoffs next year than he has failed the fan base and organization miserably.  He has to get some scoring names here to...... number 1. excite the fan base and show us that he is committed to winning.  2. To actually win and make playoffs.

• Like 2