The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

51 minutes ago, danimal-ch1 said:

Ward has been great for us this year, I don't care what anyone says.  Thank you Ward for keeping hope alive on a horrid offensive team.  Now we have the most goals of any NHL team in March and Ward is winning.  I tried to say that when Ward has a confident team in front of him that is scoring goals, he is as good as any number one in the league.  Sure everyone wants to get a "number one" goal tender for next year.  Good luck, goal tenders are a gamble.  We have a solid number one that wins a lot of games when his team is playing consistent hockey in front of him.  26-20-11.  Not bad for an overworked starter on a young team with no number one center or true top line and youngest blue line around.  If only 4 of those OTL's were W's than everything would be much different right now.  I blame half of our OTL's on Ward and the other half on the fact our guys just cannot finish in OT.   I strongly believe Ward will flourish on a team that scores consistently and competes every night.  I believe that team is us next year.

No, he has not been great. He has not even been average. ANY goalie will flourish on a team that scores consistently and competes every night, but no team does. Not even the Blackhawks or the Penguins. Those teams are better than us in part because they have a goalie that can bail them out when they are not on their game. The prime example of what we can be as a team is Columbus. They are an average 5v5 team with fantastic goaltending. Take that goaltending away, and you get Columbus from last year. As much as I love the way Ward and Lack are playing down the stretch, I hope Francis doesn't forget that it is ALL 82 games that matter and that this goalie combination just is not good enough over those 82 games to get it done. One of them needs to be replaced this off season.

What a tease it is to be so close to the playoffs right now.  It will be almost impossible to make it even though we are 4 points out.  Sucks. Of course if we keep extending the record breaking streak and Boston, Tampa bay fold than it could happen. That would take some hockey god work though.

I think Toronto is more likely to fold down the stretch than Boston. And if you include tie breakers, we need as many point so overcome Boston as we do Toronto, anyway. The last four games for Toronto are Caps, Bolts, Pens, Blue Jackets....that is a tough stretch that they could easily lose all of those games.

7 minutes ago, danimal-ch1 said:

What a tease it is to be so close to the playoffs right now.  It will be almost impossible to make it even though we are 4 points out.  Sucks. Of course if we keep extending the record breaking streak and Boston, Tampa bay fold than it could happen. That would take some hockey god work though.

Sort like a certain Carolina team leading by 10 pts with 12 games to play( nad leading division all yr until literally last game of yr)? and not making it..maybe its karma paying back for that awful kick to the groin this yr.. just saying

Edited by canes2017

btw a nice article on eric:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19023681/nhl-center-eric-staal-savoring-winning-second-act-minnesota-wild

Veteran Eric Staal is savoring his career's second act with the Minnesota Wild

WASHINGTON -- It is a measure of Eric Staal's graciousness that he actually laughs at the joke.

It's not a particularly good joke, and perhaps at one point, even as recently as last summer, it might have seemed cruel or just plain stupid.

But here we are, sitting in a coffee shop near the Minnesota Wild's hotel in D.C. after a recent mid-March blizzard has blanketed the Northeast. Staal has arrived early, wearing his toque and winter coat, and fixed himself a small coffee.

cont in link

"It stung a little bit. I'm kind of happy it wasn't [Justin] Faulk's slap shot, or I wouldn't be sitting here anymore. It stings for a little bit, but then you get back out there. I got pads there. They did their job." -- Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner on taking a shot in the foot from teammate Derek Ryan

Need to know

The Hurricanes have outscored their opponents 16-4 in the third period over the past 11 games. ... Skinner has 17 points (12 goals, five assists) in 16 games this month. ... Johnson never played a game for Carolina. He was traded to the Los Angeles Kings with Oleg Tverdovsky for Eric Belanger and Tim Gleason prior to the 2006-07 season. ... Peters is 100-99-41 in three seasons coaching the Hurricanes

https://www.nhl.com/news/columbus-blue-jackets-carolina-hurricanes-game-recap/c-288269572

20 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

I think Toronto is more likely to fold down the stretch than Boston. And if you include tie breakers, we need as many point so overcome Boston as we do Toronto, anyway. The last four games for Toronto are Caps, Bolts, Pens, Blue Jackets....that is a tough stretch that they could easily lose all of those games.

Actually i think Ottawa is the team with the potential to slip the furthest, even with an easier schedule - they aren't exactly tearing it up right now.  Making up 8 points is probably way too much to wish for in 6 games, though.

Here is my calculations for us to make the playoffs:

BOSTON BRUINS (88)          TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS(89)   TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING(85)        CAROLINA HURRICANES(84)
Sat, Apr 1 vs Florida(W)         Sat, Apr 1 @  Detroit(W)               Sat, Apr 1 vs Montreal(L)                Sat, Apr 1 vs Dallas(W)
Sun, Apr 2 @  Chicago(L)      Mon, Apr 3 @  Buffalo(W)             Sun, Apr 2 vs Dallas(W)                 Sun, Apr 2 @  Pittsburgh(OTL)
Tue, Apr 4 vs Tampa Bay(L)   Tue, Apr 4 vs Washington(L)        Tue, Apr 4 @  Boston(W)               Tue, Apr 4 @  Minnesota(OTL)
Thu, Apr 6 vs Ottawa(W)        Thu, Apr 6 vs Tampa Bay(W)       Thu, Apr 6 @  Toronto(L)               Thu, Apr 6 vs NY Islanders(W)
Sat, Apr 8 vs Washington(L)   Sat, Apr 8 vs Pittsburgh(L)           Fri, Apr 7 @  Montreal(L)               Sat, Apr 8 vs St. Louis(OTL)
                                                Sun, Apr 9 vs Columbus(L)          Sun, Apr 9 vs Buffalo(W)               Sun, Apr 9 @  Philadelphia(W)

Final WC Standings:

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (95) (Takes final Atlantic Playoff Spot)

CAROLINA HURRICANES (93)

BOSTON BRUINS (92)

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING (91)

Edited by hopper915

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I don't think they are unattainable either. I just haven't seen enough consistency from Rask, TT  to project solid numbers. I can't project Stemps either especially if he is in Vegas. Based on questionable numbers is a 60 point guy going to offset some of those questions? I submit that goal tending is still the weak link. Will Cam still be here? Is Eddie's head turned to mush from the Concussions? He is now appearing to be the Injury prone goalie that Cam was in years past.

I think just as big a question is: which Eddie would we get going forward, even regardless of the latest injury?  The Eddie of March or the Eddie of the rest of his time with Carolina?  He's had a very nice recent stretch, but is that indicative of what to expect going forward or just a hot streak?  I didn't watch the Detroit game closely as it was on during our poker game, but my impression is that Lack's performance that game was more in line with the rest of the season than with his recent hot streak.  Given his injury, I didn't really feel right asking if that's true before now.  I know I was uncomfortable making down the road goalie projections based on what, 6-8 games?  And now we may not even be able to add to that small sample size before needing to make a decision between Ward and Lack.  I know that after Lack's last game I didn't mind seeing Ward in net for the last 2 (except for the circumstances, of course).  

Bottom line for me is that, whichever way we go, I'd like to see us pick up at least a likely 1A this offseason with either Ward or Lack as the 1B.  And if we can get a clear starter with one of our 2 current Gs serving as backup, so much the better.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hopper915 said:

Here is my calculations for us to make the playoffs:

BOSTON BRUINS (88)          TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS(89)   TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING(85)        CAROLINA HURRICANES(84)
Sat, Apr 1 vs Florida(W)         Sat, Apr 1 @  Detroit(W)               Sat, Apr 1 vs Montreal(L)                Sat, Apr 1 vs Dallas(W)
Sun, Apr 2 @  Chicago(L)      Mon, Apr 3 @  Buffalo(W)             Sun, Apr 2 vs Dallas(W)                 Sun, Apr 2 @  Pittsburgh(OTL)
Tue, Apr 4 vs Tampa Bay(L)   Tue, Apr 4 vs Washington(L)        Tue, Apr 4 @  Boston(W)               Tue, Apr 4 @  Minnesota(OTL)
Thu, Apr 6 vs Ottawa(W)        Thu, Apr 6 vs Tampa Bay(W)       Thu, Apr 6 @  Toronto(L)               Thu, Apr 6 vs NY Islanders(W)
Sat, Apr 8 vs Washington(L)   Sat, Apr 8 vs Pittsburgh(L)           Fri, Apr 7 @  Montreal(L)               Sat, Apr 8 vs St. Louis(OTL)
                                                Sun, Apr 9 vs Columbus(L)          Sun, Apr 9 vs Buffalo(W)               Sun, Apr 9 @  Philadelphia(W)

Final WC Standings:

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (95) (Takes final Atlantic Playoff Spot)

CAROLINA HURRICANES (93)

BOSTON BRUINS (92)

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING (91)

I think Carolina would have to go 5-0-1 to get to 95 to have a chance. Boston 3-2-0 (94pts), Tampa 4-2-0 (93pts), Islanders 3-3-0 (88 pts).

One thing i'll say about Ward right now, and i say this having not watched the game last night, is that this is the closest to playoff hockey this team has played in 8 years, and if there's ever been one situation where he excelled, it's in the playoffs.  So i feel quite confident with him running the table at this point if need be.  Like everyone else, of course, i hope that doesn't (nor do i expect it to) mean any of the brass thinks 'oh yeah, he's the guy next season'.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I think just as big a question is: which Eddie would we get going forward, even regardless of the latest injury?  The Eddie of March or the Eddie of the rest of his time with Carolina?  He's had a very nice recent stretch, but is that indicative of what to expect going forward or just a hot streak?  I didn't watch the Detroit game closely as it was on during our poker game, but my impression is that Lack's performance that game was more in line with the rest of the season than with his recent hot streak.  Given his injury, I didn't really feel right asking if that's true before now.  I know I was uncomfortable making down the road goalie projections based on what, 6-8 games?  And now we may not even be able to add to that small sample size before needing to make a decision between Ward and Lack.  I know that after Lack's last game I didn't mind seeing Ward in net for the last 2 (except for the circumstances, of course).  

Bottom line for me is that, whichever way we go, I'd like to see us pick up at least a likely 1A this offseason with either Ward or Lack as the 1B.  And if we can get a clear starter with one of our 2 current Gs serving as backup, so much the better.     

I agree 100%.  I think the decision has already been made between the existing goalies. We need that better than average goalie with Ward as as other half of the equation. Add another top winger/center and 1 more B or B+ winger and we are there. I believe Stemps will be gone, thus the need for two forwards. If RF accomplishes the 3 players in the off season there is no reason not to be in the playoffs. 

TB is only 1 ahead of us in ROWs, so we could pass them for the 1st tiebreaker (they win subsequent tiebreakers if we're tied in points and ROWs). But both Boston and Leafs are out of reach regarding tiebreakers so we'd need to finish ahead of them in points.  I'm not listing Isles anymore; they're toast imo.

Agreed on the Isles.  If they become an issue again, it's because the Hurricanes slipped - in which case it's over anyway.  Only two things matter with the Isles at this point - 1) we have to beat them next Thursday, and 2) depending on what happens elsewhere between now and then, it might be quite nice if they beat Ottawa on the 9th.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

But both Boston and Leafs are out of reach regarding tiebreakers so we'd need to finish ahead of them in points.

Boston, yes. But the Leafs are not. They are at 89 pts (36 ROW) and we are at 84 pts (33 ROW) while being 5 points back...both with 6 games to play. If they were to go 2-4-0, they would end up with 93 pts (38 ROW) and if we go 4-1-1, we end up with 93 pts (37 ROW). The leafs are easier to catch than the Bruins.

49 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Boston, yes. But the Leafs are not. They are at 89 pts (36 ROW) and we are at 84 pts (33 ROW) while being 5 points back...both with 6 games to play. If they were to go 2-4-0, they would end up with 93 pts (38 ROW) and if we go 4-1-1, we end up with 93 pts (37 ROW). The leafs are easier to catch than the Bruins.

That still wouldn't quite do it. We'd need an additional win or they'd need 1 less win to bring us even in ROWs (we win the 2nd tiebreaker), in which case we'd pass them in points anyways, no? Unless one of their wins was in a shootout . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

9 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

That still wouldn't quite do it. Wwe'd need an additional win or they'd need 1 less win to bring us even in ROWs (we win the 2nd tiebreaker), in which case we'd pass them in points anyways, no? 

Yes, you are correct. I bonked my maths. but if they went 1-3-2 and we went what I quoted, then we'd be tied in points and ROW. Additionally if they went 2-4 and we instead went 5-1-0 then we'd be tied as well in points and ROW

Edited by MinJaBen

Devils play the Islanders tonight. Maybe the Devils can put another dent in the Isles playoff quest.

1 minute ago, MinJaBen said:

Yes, you are correct. I bonked my maths. but if they went 1-3-2 and we went what I quoted, then we'd be tied in points and ROW. Additionally if they went 2-4 and we instead went 5-1-0 then we'd be tied as well in points and ROW

Or, in your original scenario one of their wins was in a shootout.  We do have the 2nd tiebreaker over Leafs, but Sens have it over us (they're at 36 ROWs as well).

But bottom line: just keep winning and ride the beast as long as we can.

Regarding goalie situation, I agree that an upgrade is preferable. Having said that, who is going to be available that is sure to be an upgrade? The Canes have faced their share of "hot back up goalies" this year, including vs. Columbus Thursday. Many of these guys will no doubt be shopped - the more likely Vegas would take one, the more motivated a team will be to trade them, maybe to us, to get some return rather than losing for nothing to Vegas. But now tell me who we confidently take if available? Darling of Chicago was mentioned. Well what I know about him, and I admit I don't study the minutiae of every player, is he has been great in 29 games this season. Playing in front of a team with 3 Stanley Cups in 7 years. 29 games is fewer than Lack played in Vancouver, based on which we traded for him and gave him an immediate contract extension. I suggested in an earlier post that Chicago might prefer to part with Crawford and was met with a statement that Crawford was too expensive and was just a product of Chicago's system anyway. Why then, is Darling not just a product of the Chicago system? My point is if we kick Cam or Eddie to the curb, we need to be real sure we are replacing them with an upgrade. I recall there was much excitement when we traded for Eddie. To me, a proven upgrade would have been Bishop, now I think out of the picture. So who else? Just asking.

18 hours ago, danimal-ch1 said:

Ward has been great for us this year, I don't care what anyone says.  Thank you Ward for keeping hope alive on a horrid offensive team.  Now we have the most goals of any NHL team in March and Ward is winning.  I tried to say that when Ward has a confident team in front of him that is scoring goals, he is as good as any number one in the league.  Sure everyone wants to get a "number one" goal tender for next year.  Good luck, goal tenders are a gamble.  We have a solid number one that wins a lot of games when his team is playing consistent hockey in front of him.  26-20-11.  Not bad for an overworked starter on a young team with no number one center or true top line and youngest blue line around.  If only 4 of those OTL's were W's than everything would be much different right now.  I blame half of our OTL's on Ward and the other half on the fact our guys just cannot finish in OT.   I strongly believe Ward will flourish on a team that scores consistently and competes every night.  I believe that team is us next year.

I agree...to an extent.  I still firmly believe we need to shop/buyout Lack and go after a solid #1, with Cam getting every 3rd-4th game to keep him in the game.  And Franchise might be run out of town by fans with pitchforks and torches if he doesn't at least publically go after a solid #1 scorer this summer. ;)