The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

11 hours ago, MinJaBen said:

Boston, yes. But the Leafs are not. They are at 89 pts (36 ROW) and we are at 84 pts (33 ROW) while being 5 points back...both with 6 games to play. If they were to go 2-4-0, they would end up with 93 pts (38 ROW) and if we go 4-1-1, we end up with 93 pts (37 ROW). The leafs are easier to catch than the Bruins.

B's have all but one of their remaining games at home...FLA tonight, at CHI tomorrow, home vs. TBL, OTT and WAS

Leafs are at DET tonight, at BUF, then home games against WAS, TBL, PIT and CBJ

Bolts are at home vs MON tonight, home vs DAL tomorrow, then a road trip against BOS, TOR, and MON before finishing at home vs BUF

We need 2 out of 3 of those teams to garner no more than 4 points the rest of the season and we can't lose more than 4 points in order to have a legitimate prayer...

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

B's have all but one of their remaining games at home...FLA tonight, at CHI tomorrow, home vs. TBL, OTT and WAS

Leafs are at DET tonight, at BUF, then home games against WAS, TBL, PIT and CBJ

Bolts are at home vs MON tonight, home vs DAL tomorrow, then a road trip against BOS, TOR, and MON before finishing at home vs BUF

We need 2 out of 3 of those teams to garner no more than 4 points the rest of the season and we can't lose more than 4 points in order to have a legitimate prayer...

I don't think we can count on any of the teams to garner no more than 4 points. I still think we need to go no worse than 5-0-1. So we can lose only 1 point.

Francis inks prospects

Canes, Foegele Agree to Entry-Level Contract by Terrell Williams

"Warren had an impressive rookies' camp last September," said Francis. "He has continued to improve his overall game and should help Erie challenge for a championship this spring."

Hurricanes Agree to Terms with Smallman by Terrell Williams

"Spencer took a big step forward this season," said Francis. "He's been in a leadership role for his team for the last three years, and helped Saint John to the best record in the Quebec League this year."

Just over on Checkers site(thanks OBXer for periodically updating info there),and something of poetic justice struck me. This Alexi Saarela is #7?? Curious if this number will be available for him next year if he makes the bigs, haha!!!

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Just over on Checkers site(thanks OBXer for periodically updating info there),and something of poetic justice struck me. This Alexi Saarela is #7?? Curious if this number will be available for him next year if he makes the bigs, haha!!!

If he keeps producing the way he's started off I say give him whatever unoccupied number he wants. Two goals last game and 5 points in 3 games with the Chex so far.  At one point I believe he was considered a better prospect than Zykov but then he almost completely dropped off the radar.  Could he be a raffle ticket we collected that just might hit?

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

The good new we aren't sending you back to Charlotte

The not what you expected news.........

What I don't like about the Ned situation isn't that he's down there, it's that some goalie we don't own (McCollum) on loan to us is taking game and practice time from them. Charlotte's job is to prep what they've got, not quit on them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OBXer said:

Francis inks prospects

Canes, Foegele Agree to Entry-Level Contract by Terrell Williams

Hurricanes Agree to Terms with Smallman by Terrell Williams

It really fun watching these guys go from draft to junior develop to pro contract develop to....???

I have a brief blurb on Foegele in the In the Canes System area: ranking the prospects. Basically a shifty type forward with skills. Interesting to see how high up the ladder he can translate those skills.

And on Smallman, he got more on my radar after an interview I caught with Tony MacDonald. He has more upside than one might expect from a late rounder. Here's what I wrote over there, since that area gets so few views:

Spencer Smallman: F. 6'0" 20 yo 5th rounder 2015. Plays for St John in the Q. OK Playruff and others in this camp, listen up I am going to list what the combined comments were:  Consistent effort (never takes a single shift off), grit, does all of the little things, gets to the crease and mixes it up, pays the price, smart with high hockey IQ, ideal captain, leader, when stuff gets physically confrontational he goes to the fight, hard nosed, extremely competitive, is putting up good numbers. "We are very happy with him and he will be a very good pro".  He has 71 points and 24 goals in 54 games. And here is the kicker. One of the guys said he has Scotty Walker attributes, especially in character and work ethic.

49 minutes ago, remkin said:

And here is the kicker. One of the guys said he has Scotty Walker attributes, especially in character and work ethic.

That would be nice. Just hope he doesn't have a Boulerice chin B)

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

With Boston's win today, playoff chances went from slim to basically none. Want to see Fluery up here.

Why is that? The B's have played two more games than us as I type. They face Chicago, Tampa, OTT and Washington in their last. All four games are opportunities for losses. 

33 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Why is that? The B's have played two more games than us as I type. They face Chicago, Tampa, OTT and Washington in their last. All four games are opportunities for losses. 

With 6 games left, at best we can get 12 points.  Basically Boston need just 6 points in 4 games and Toronto needs 7 points in 6 games to eliminate us.  Of course every point we don't get makes their points requirements less. The likelihood that we go perfect and they don't get the points is basically none.  

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

With 6 games left, at best we can get 12 points.  Basically Boston need just 6 points in 4 games and Toronto needs 7 points in 6 games to eliminate us.  Of course every point we don't get makes their points requirements less. The likelihood that we go perfect and they don't get the points is basically none.  

It's tough but the the likelihood is not none. 6 points for Boston means winning 3 out of 4. Boston could easily lose 2 out of 4. Toronto also has  Washington Tampa Pitt and Columbus as their final 4 games.Yes we need to go almost perfect but the possibility is there. Until we are mathematically out of it I keep a glimmer of hope.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

It's tough but the the likelihood is not none. 6 points for Boston means winning 3 out of 4. Boston could easily lose 2 out of 4. Toronto also has  Washington Tampa Pitt and Columbus as their final 4 games.Yes we need to go almost perfect but the possibility is there. Until we are mathematically out of it I keep a glimmer of hope.

Well this loss makes the chance basically nil.  All the growth by the youngsters over the last month is great.  No morale victories and just another year with no appearance.

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Well this loss makes the chance basically nil.  All the growth by the youngsters over the last month is great.  No morale victories and just another year with no appearance.

Dagger tonight.

7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Another year.  Another failure. 

You're gonna need a new gig when this team starts winning which should be around the corner. I hear Colorado needs a "We suck" cheerleader on their forum, I'm not sure they hear it enough without a guy like you to say it 2,619 times. 

LegenD, my expectation is that this team makes the playoffs.  In a league where over half the teams make it that is not.much to ask for.  Here's to.hoping RF makes acquisitions to get us over the hump.

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Nice to see you finally admit nothing you post adds anything to any conversation on our boards. Too bad we all have to keep stepping in it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Translation:  See I told, you.  Should have listened to me all along.  I probably know more about this than you.

Very big of you, but expected.

Go Canes.

A few weeks ago this team was dead in the water. They have since gone on one of the most amazing runs I have seen. They still have the slimmest of chances but even if they don't make the playoffs I don't see how in any way the season or team is a failure. Three years into the rebuild the team continues to improve and players have begun to respond.

[NEWS] #Canes Assign Alex Nedeljkovic To Everblades

23 hours ago, OBXer said:

The good new we aren't sending you back to Charlotte

The not what you expected news.........

22 hours ago, legend-1 said:

What I don't like about the Ned situation isn't that he's down there, it's that some goalie we don't own (McCollum) on loan to us is taking game and practice time from them. Charlotte's job is to prep what they've got, not quit on them. 

I suspect the org wants to get Ned some playing time but clearly they think McCollum stands the best chance of getting the Chex into the playoffs during their stretch drive.

One of Charlotte's objectives is to prep prospects for the Canes, but that's not the only one.  I'm pretty sure they're an independent (although closely affiliated) entity, with obligations to their ownership group and paying ticket holders in addition to the Canes.  As others have noted, there is value in exposing the Canes prospects playing for the Chex to the playoffs, so I have no problem with them doing whatever they need to do (within reason) in order to get in.