The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

15 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Another year.  Another failure. 

I see how someone might view not making the playoffs this year as a failure. I don't agree with that because I'm looking at not just a snapshot, but the bigger picture going forward and projecting where I think they'll be in the near term based on what I've seen this season.  But I'm curious: do you still think this team sucks?  That's how you've described it many times this year. Would you use that term face to face with Cane players if, say, you had the opportunity to have dinner with them?

When E Staal was sucking worse than biting into a lemon would anyone have said that to him? Of course not because face to face requires manners, but suck he did. Eric however was laughing all the way to the bank; he could care less what Joe Canes Fan thought of him just like all players in pro sports - they play for a paycheck and (one would hope) for each other. After that its a grab bag of motivations..

13 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I see how someone might view not making the playoffs this year as a failure. I don't agree with that because I'm looking at not just a snapshot, but the bigger picture going forward and projecting where I think they'll be in the near term based on what I've seen this season.  But I'm curious: do you still think this team sucks?  That's how you've described it many times this year. Would you use that term face to face with Cane players if, say, you had the opportunity to have dinner with them?

No I would not say it to their face because I could not do better myself.  While I don't think there was an individual to call out this year aside from the goal tending that sucked.  I felt the team played a good overall team game.  However, last night was more the norm in my opinion.  Lack of top end talent was very obvious this team lacks that guy who van score a clutch goal when needed most and that'she star power.  With who is in our division, it would be foolish for RF to not get help this off season.  I also find it unacceptable to miss the playoffs with the way this league is structured.

We aren't mathematically eliminated.. And as a fan I believe it's my duty to bury my head in this nice soft sand and pretend like that loss last night wasn't as crucial as it was. And seriously guys... Did you not just watch our team be the best team in the league for a month to move us from basically last in the conference to one of three teams still in the mix? That's not a failure. That's a hell of a reassurance that the team is improving each year. And if we finish this close to the line, next year with some RF acquisitions hopefully, you'll see an improved roster on paper along with non-tangible improvements in experience and development among our younger roster players. You'd think acquisitions alone would make up for a few more wins to make it to the dance.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

21 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Bickells back and he brought Poturalski with him. Digi and Wallmark sent down.

Seems like a win win move.  Poturalski leads the Chex in points but Digi and Wallmark are both more productive goal scorers.  We get a look at Poturalski and the Canes can let Bickell go out at the NHL level if he so chooses, a classy move (while I'd like to think Bickell could make it back to NHL regular status, I suspect that chances of that are pretty slim). 

Note: Chex and Cleveland battling for the last playoff spot in the Midwest Division: Cleveland 2 points up, but Chex have 1 magic bean and own the tiebreaker.  Last year the Chex lost a playoff spot either on the last game of the year or next to last one. Need to turn that around this year!

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Jake Bean, the Carolina Hurricanes’ first-round draft choice last summer, is joining the Checkers for the stretch run.

7 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Bean's listed at 6'1 170, somebody get the kid a frickin buffet. 

Pretty sure Pesce was something like 6'3" and around 165 lbs at that age, something really ridiculous, which makes Bean's weight a bit less concerning than it might otherwise.  We do need to hope he doesn't get broke in half while in the AHL, though. :o  

Bickell recalled.  Nice to see RF give him a chance, now that the season is over.  (or at a 1000 to 1 chance, that is)

I was busy this weekend and didn't get a chance to respond on the gameday threads.  Saturday's game was bitter sweet.  The atmosphere felt like playoffs.  The beautiful weather and tailgating added to it.  The crowd was jazzed.  But alas, it also felt like game 4 of the '09 conference finals: you knew this wasn't probably going to end well.

So it goes.  At leas the boys added some excitement to the end.  Whether this matters for drafting?  I dunno.

I'll let the drafting and trading talk to ya'll.  It isn't my thing.  But I would like to see are these changes:

- A commitment by ALL to the beginning of the season

- A commitment by the coaching staff to work on Overtime

Both of these are primarily on the coaches.  However, it would also be nice to see someone on the players grab some leadership and get the boys away from their freakin' lake houses down here in August and practicing hard. 

A commitment by the coaching staff to work on Overtime

This really has become my pet peeve, watch enough other teams to see it done right, and look organized and have a plan in OT.. canes more just looks random and "luck" if do score, very frustrating... hate the "what if" game, but if we were even 50% or 40% in OT we are solidly in playoffs.. the coaching staff really needs to spend a lot more time on it in camp...rarely , if ever, have I seen them in any practice do 3-3 drills.. that has to change

Get those one or two additional skilled offensive players that we all agree the team needs and that goalie that we all agree the team needs, and I'll bet the OT situation gets better.

I'll be curious to see a bit of Poturalski, he tore it up his last year in D1 college and has been scoring in the AHL.

I'm guessing with Bickell and Poturalski coming up and him staying down, Nestrasil's adding another exclamation point to his 'I don't want to stay here' statement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I'm guessing with Bickell and Poturalski coming up and him staying down, Nestrasil's adding another exclamation point to his 'I don't want to stay here' statement.

I was just thinking the same thing.

I think Nesty has burned his bridge back to Raleigh.

In fairness though, he has been passed over in the organization by youth.  He probably feels he lost his shot due to injury after being a regular on the 2nd line with JStaal.  He'd probably benefit from a fresh start somewhere.  

Edited by super_dave_1

46 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Could be. But it's pretty obvious that Poturalski is coming up for evaluation purposes and Bickell because of his situation, so he might not take it personally.  Not that it probably matters much either way, as has already been noted.

Here's a creative idea for Nesty that might work out well for both him and the Canes: re-sign him for a year with the understanding that we expose him to the expansion draft.  If we were to expose Ryan, Nesty, either goalie, and say, Dahlbeck, wouldn't Nesty seem like the most logical pick for Vegas, even if they don't see him making the team?  From what I hear, teams are going to be forced to expose some pretty promising d-men and goalies and Ryan is a small, 30yo, 3rd line NHL rookie. 

Nesty benefits because even if he gets cut by Vegas he still gets paid and can explore the free agent market (or Europe) with cash in hand. 

Canes benefit because we get to keep both Nordstrom and Stempniak for next year.  I'd really like to see Stempniak back, and I also really like Nordstrom on the PK and 4th line.

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

Ryan, Nesty, either goalie, and say, Dahlbeck,

Ryan is expansion draft exempt. I don't think it matters if he re-ups. If we really want to keep Stemniak and Nordstrom I thinks it would take a little creativity by us.

TheHockeyNews has named their 2016-17 All Underrated Team and Slavin made it.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-2016-17-all-underrated-team

Jaccob Slavin, Carolina Hurricanes
At 22, he’s already surpassed Justin Faulk as the Canes’ leader in time on ice. Has Slavin also jumped Noah Hanifin in the franchise’s overall pecking order? There’s a case to be made. Slavin has displayed some nice puck-moving ability, amassing 33 points, and he and partner Brett Pesce rate as an excellent defensive pair, ranking top-20 in Corsi Against per 60 among D-men with 500 or more minutes. Despite playing so much and playing quality defense, Slavin only has 12 penalty minutes this season. He deserves Lady Byng Trophy consideration, but the award has only gone to one D-man in the past 61 seasons, so the odds are against Slavin.

----------------------------------------------

While it's nice they recognized him, it's clear they're not following the Canes very closely or else they wouldn't have any question about Slavin's place in the Canes pecking order.

16 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Ryan is expansion draft exempt. I don't think it matters if he re-ups. If we really want to keep Stemniak and Nordstrom I thinks it would take a little creativity by us.

Ah, thanks. For some reason I thought that it in addition to years played it was also tied to age, like the RFA rules are.

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

TheHockeyNews has named their 2016-17 All Underrated Team and Slavin made it.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-2016-17-all-underrated-team

Jaccob Slavin, Carolina Hurricanes
At 22, he’s already surpassed Justin Faulk as the Canes’ leader in time on ice. Has Slavin also jumped Noah Hanifin in the franchise’s overall pecking order? There’s a case to be made. Slavin has displayed some nice puck-moving ability, amassing 33 points, and he and partner Brett Pesce rate as an excellent defensive pair, ranking top-20 in Corsi Against per 60 among D-men with 500 or more minutes. Despite playing so much and playing quality defense, Slavin only has 12 penalty minutes this season. He deserves Lady Byng Trophy consideration, but the award has only gone to one D-man in the past 61 seasons, so the odds are against Slavin.

----------------------------------------------

While it's nice they recognized him, it's clear they're not following the Canes very closely or else they wouldn't have any question about Slavin's place in the Canes pecking order.

I think he jumped Noah Hanifin in the overall pecking order about 5 minutes into his first game 17 months ago, and i'd like to think The Hockey News is fairly privy to that information.  Of course Larkin was probably being paid by the word and when you get a chance to cash in, you cash in.  That said, definitely nice to see him get the recognition!

Yeah I'm a big fan of Noah's upside, but Slavin is the man. To me he and Pesce are the only, "don't even look in his general direction" off the table guys on the defense. The more you watch him the more you realize that Slavin does just about everything. If his offense keeps coming on, he could be one of the best defensmen in the game. He is currently  #52 in ppg by Dmen, and Pesce just shuts down like a vice.

But you want a stat to blow your mind? (Those who hate the plus-minus stat look away), Jacob Slavin is #9 in the league in plus minus for D men. On a -16 team.

Here's the guys ahead of him, and their team's plus minus (goal differential):

1. Ryan Sutter: Minnesota Team +53

2. Brooks Orpik: Pittsburgh Team: +45

3, Jared Spurgin: Minnesota: Team: +53

4.  Dimitri Orlov: Washington Team: +76

5. David Savard Columbus Team: +59

6. Jake Gardiner Toronto Team: +12

7. Justin Shultz: Pittsburgh Team: +45

8. Ian Cole: Pittsburgh Team: +45

9. Jacob Slavin: Carolina Team: -16

15. Bret Pesce: Carolina Team: -16

You have to go all the way to #34, Calvin DeHaan to find another player on the list from a negative goal differential team, and we have two in the top 15.

And within their own team:

Carolina Hurricanes

Same Team:

Slavin +23

Pesce +20

Aho +3

Jordan Staal +2

Everyone else even or minus.

We have one of the best defensive top pairings in the NHL, possibly THE best.

Do not trade Jacob Slavin or Brett Pesce whatever you do.

BTW Aho's plus 3 is really impressive. And he's been a plus player everywhere. See Jordan Staal too. The plus minus stat is a real problematic stat, but for Staal, Aho, Slavin and Pesce it speaks clearly.

Edited by remkin

15 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'll take the fire but Pesce has nothing offensively.  Nada.

That may be true, but when I think about Pesce I recall what a Pens fan said about J. Staal back when he was with them.  Paraphrasing: I don't care how much he scores, as long as he keeps the other teams best lines scoring even less when he's on the ice.  And Pesce is young enough that he should be able to improve his shot over the next few years.  Granted, he'll never be a natural scorer like Faulk, but if he keeps improving on both ends of the ice?

Edited by LakeLivin