The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

2 hours ago, hag65 said:

I hope you don't mean me, because I know it was always the goal, we just hadn't been doing it well until recently, it's like BP's finally getting the team to the 300 and 400 level classes at BP University.

Not aimed at you at all.  It's been a constant topic though about some defensemen's constant pinching, defensive lapses, and +/-.

Peters said right out of the gate that he wanted the D jumping in on the rush.  It just seems that it makes sense that a philosophy like that is going to lead to the occasional oops, which requires a goalie to "make a #%*!?] save".

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Not aimed at you at all.  It's been a constant topic though about some defensemen's constant pinching, defensive lapses, and +/-.

Peters said right out of the gate that he wanted the D jumping in on the rush.  It just seems that it makes sense that a philosophy like that is going to lead to the occasional oops, which requires a goalie to "make a #%*!?] save".

Yeah, some of the dummies on here just don't get it.  Any perceived defensive deficiencies by particular Canes d-men are actually due to the system.  I'm surprised Peters is playing Slavin and Pesce as much as he is because their +- stats obviously show that they haven't haven't picked up the system very well yet, lol.  Just messing with ya, s_d. :P

Should we move this stuff back over to the Should we Trade Faulk thread?  Because you can't convince me these "general" observations are about Ryan Murphy.

For the record,

• I think Faulk has been playing markedly better defense lately (tonight excepted).  But I still think he gives away a portion of what he gains, and not because of the system.
  • I'm all for Peter's philosophy of using his D to push scoring.  But I also think our d-men still have a responsibility to play good defense.
Edited by LakeLivin

well the playoffs its over y'all.  

As far as next season, Im hoping 1 or 2 2nd rounders can get us 1 or 2 good wingers.  Get them before the expansion draft.  Im guessing Stempniak is gone, so we need 2 wingers before the expansion and possibly another good winger.

I would agree we need to use one 2nd rounder for a good goalie prospect. 

Lack of leadership is biting us...lack of heart is biting us.  There was ZERO reason why we should have lost to the Stars at home...but it seems like the team used that loss as an impetus to pack it in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, in order to improve this team, RF needs to do the following this summer:

1. Get a top-tier CONSISTENT scorer who also has the on-ice leadership the team has lacked since Rod retired.

2. Get a top-tier CONSISTENT goalie who Cam can serve as ample backup to.  Cam still has gas in the tank.  Eddie has been proven to be a flash in the pan goalie who you can ride when he's hot for a few games, then goes to iceberg level the rest of the time. 

3. When steps 1 and 2 are accomplished, send Jordan and Eddie packing.

• Like 1

CHARLOTTE CHECKERS FORWARD ALEKSI SAARELA NAMED CCM/AHL PLAYER OF THE WEEK

I wonder if we'll get a peek at him this season?  Might not, as long as the Chex are in a dogfight for the playoffs.

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Lack of leadership is biting us...lack of heart is biting us.  There was ZERO reason why we should have lost to the Stars at home...but it seems like the team used that loss as an impetus to pack it in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, in order to improve this team, RF needs to do the following this summer:

1. Get a top-tier CONSISTENT scorer who also has the on-ice leadership the team has lacked since Rod retired.

2. Get a top-tier CONSISTENT goalie who Cam can serve as ample backup to.  Cam still has gas in the tank.  Eddie has been proven to be a flash in the pan goalie who you can ride when he's hot for a few games, then goes to iceberg level the rest of the time. 

3. When steps 1 and 2 are accomplished, send Jordan and Eddie packing.

Some goal scoring forwards

1. Patrick eaves 31 goals( 49 pts)

2. eric staal 27 goals ( 63 pts)

3. Justin Williams 22 goals( 44 pts)

4. radim vrbata 18 goals ( 53 pts)

3. Andrew ladd 21 goals ( 29 pts)

I kid..i kid...

12 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I don't think it's so much on the D.  There is a complete and utter lack of talent in the top 6.  The Canes have 1 maybe 2 top 6 forwards.  (Jordan and Skinner for now).  AWith Lindy and Aho developing but still high end 3rd liners and maybe low tier 2nd liner in Aho.  It's a complete joke really.  The amount of talent that BP has had to work with it just disturbing.  I would be beyond pissed if I was BP.  I don't blame this on the D so much but more on the complete lack of forward talent.

11 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I don't think it's so much on the D.  There is a complete and utter lack of talent in the top 6.  The Canes have 1 maybe 2 top 6 forwards.  (Jordan and Skinner for now).  AWith Lindy and Aho developing but still high end 3rd liners and maybe low tier 2nd liner in Aho.  It's a complete joke really.  The amount of talent that BP has had to work with it just disturbing.  I would be beyond pissed if I was BP.  I don't blame this on the D so much but more on the complete lack of forward talent.

...but haven't you been calling for Peter's head?

I do agree that there is a lack of top 6 guys, but I think the Lindy and Aho that I saw at the end of this season fit the bill.  That still leaves the team 2 short.

Edited by super_dave_1

I am calling for his head if RF gets two top 6 players this off season and/or 1 top 6 player and a starting goalie and Peter's team hits the season by losing in the first 10 or not doing well in the first 10.  Then it's time for a change.  Only if those acquisitions are made though.

Edited by bluedevil58

So, big question....How long do the Canes continue to get a pass because they're rebuilding? Who here is going to give them another free season rebuilding pass if they flounder next season? Is next season the shyza or get off the pot season or will that be two seasons from now -  year 5 of the 'rebuild? What if BP is no better than 500 through November? Stick with or replace him? Or RF? Can only be one not both. I just don't see any excuses for next year. Not injuries thats for sure. When Pit played/beat Carolina couple games ago they had 7 players out 6 of whom are starters yet they still win consistently; better coaching? Are we still short in the depth department after all the drafts picks? What if RF can't sign a scorer or goalie etc. to play here? Does that become the excuse/reason? How the Canes finish out this season will say alot about each player and where next season could go. 

Edited by raleighcaniac

8 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

2. Get a top-tier CONSISTENT goalie who Cam can serve as ample backup to. 

If wishes were horses beggars would ride.  Especially for Item 1.

Small item on my wish-list for the remainder of this season is to just finish above where we were in the standings last year (i.e. exceed 86 points).

At least that would show improvement in all three successive seasons for the RF-BP era. And next year, let's get closer to 100 points (wishful thinking!).

3 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I am calling for his head if RF gets two top 6 players this off season and/or 1 top 6 player and a starting goalie and Peter's team hits the season by losing in the first 10 or not doing well in the first 10.  Then it's time for a change.  Only if those acquisitions are made though.

Not that there were in the past, but I specifically single-out next year as there being NO excuse for a slow-start. Enough is enough with digging ourselves into a hole in October. 

Justin Faulk's problems has not bean joining the rush or anything else in the offensive zone. It is some in the neutral and mostly in the D zone, where he too frequently has been passed like a Yugo going uphill on the Autobahn. He sometimes plays defense like a forward who doesn't want to match speed and skate backwards. His otherworldly negative plus minus over three years running is testament to that. Or not if one wants to ignore it.

He's playing better lately, though regressed a bit, as did the team last night. If he can tighten his defensive play in the back half of the ice, he can be awesome. If not, he gives back much of what he gets. Lately he had not been doing that, and he's been great.

First let me qualify this post with I grew up a Ranger fan They hadn't won a cup since before I was born. I learned early on that there was nothing between my team and the Stanley Cup that 49 years and Mark Messier wouldn't cure. It didn't make me any less of a Ranger fan nor will the Canes current struggles send me into ice hockey induced depression.

At the beginning of the season I said I hoped for the playoffs or at least a run at them late in the season. Well I didn't get the playoffs but I did get a late run. Progress I think from the youngest team in the league. Progress for some of our players, progress for the system and progress for changing the culture.

I am the first to admit that as a team under the RF/BP management we haven't won anything yet. We still have areas of concern with our goalie situation at the top of the list, how to get better puck possession time, scoring and improve our bottom pair defensemen. But there has been progress.

Next year this team has to be better from the start of the season and more consistent throughout the season. I'm sure next year will be an important one for Bill Peters as you need to see real progress and for Francis because you need to see some moves to make the plan to build a contender come to fruition.  Still unless we fall flat on our face I don't see Peters job in jeopardy until his contract year.

It is and has bee difficult to wait for these players to develop. Hopefully as we improve we won't need so much on the job training at the big club level and can develop our players  in the minors and make moves to enhance our lineup not rebuild it.

I may be alone in this assessment but that's how I see it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

He's playing better lately, though regressed a bit

Well he was paired with Hanifin last night and not Slavin.  The great thing about having a Slavin and a Faulk is they can play off each others strength and cover each others weaknesses.

We are a better team with both of them instead of without one of them but then again until we figure out that +/- is a 5 man stat I guess Faulk will have to take the beating.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

but then again until we figure out that +/- is a 5 man stat

With all due respect, that sounds vaguely condescending...

I think everyone here is quite aware of the fact that all 5 skaters on the ice at the time of a GA get a minus and not just one.  But the 5-man units on the ice at any given time can vary.  There's obviously not a consistent 'these 5 guys are always on the ice together' and 'these 5 guys are always on the ice together'.  There are certain trends in that 2 particular defensemen tend to be on the ice together and 3 particular forwards likewise, but even that is far from consistent, another thing everyone who watches this team is quite aware of, what with Peters' "Blendermatic" lines.  And when 1 guy consistently sinks toward the bottom, despite having rotating partners and no-telling-what forwards, 1 in 10 of us will raise an eyebrow over it.  People can discount the +/- stat all they want, and that's fine - but it does provide a measure, however small, of certain aspects of a player's game.

58 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

People can discount the +/- stat all they want, and that's fine - but it does provide a measure, however small, of certain aspects of a player's game.

Condescending or not  the +/- stat is the most meaningless stat in hockey and perhaps all of sports. 

Does Faulk need to protect the puck better-yes, Does Faulk need a partner that is a shut down D-yes, Does Faulk need to calculate his pinch-in better-maybe, Does Faulk need forwards in front of him that can score goals-yes. He isn't that bad on defense and he is special on the blue line on offense.

IMO the defensive problems we have aren't Slavin, Faulk or Pecse. It is Hanfin still learning (he is going to get better) and 3rd pair that teams skate over,around and through.

My problem is everyone focused on Faulk and not the real D problem. Again IMO

27 minutes ago, OBXer said:

My problem is everyone focused on Faulk and not the real D problem. Again IMO

Certainly discussion of Faulk goes in two different directions, but at the end of the day the reason he's the one focus often falls to when talking possible trades is that we're not going to pick up a 1C or 1G if all we throw on the line is the 3rd pair that teams skate over, around, and through.

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Condescending or not  the +/- stat is the most meaningless stat in hockey and perhaps all of sports. :P

I made it more condescending with the condescending emoticon.  Might as well go all out.

26 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I made it more condescending with the condescending emoticon.  Might as well go all out.

You see :P as the condescending emoticon?  I see it as either tongue in cheek or humorous joshing.

Was it BeerGirl? :P

german-beer-girl.gif

edit: I think I just found a third interpretation of that particular emoticon, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1