Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

Recommended Posts

Haha, I would never guess :P was condescending. I use that when I'm splitting hairs and I know I am or busting balls to try to be funny.

 

These emoticons are such a tricky language and we're all speaking a different one apparently.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we've been round and round on this, and mine is just an opinion, and reading on it leads to sources that think plus minus has little value and some say it does have some. Apparently it does come up in contract talks, but that doesn't prove it's any good.

 

Personally, I think it is a bad stat, but not worthless in certain instances. The plus minus stat has a wisp of truth surrounded by a lot of subterfuge. The effect of one guy on a single goal is usually very small. Just as a correction, it is not a 5 man stat, it is sort of an 12 man stat. There are 5 players on the other side trying to score that factor in, and the goalies. Though in fairness, a guy blowing and assignment or getting beaten cleanly on a rush does factor in more than 1/12.

 

But when a guy consistently raises to the top, or drops to the bottom of the list on a team, or the league adjusted for how good their team is, or across several levels of hockey, I just think in that case, the stat is saying something. Like a thousand death by a thousand paper cuts, those wisps of truth can add up, and at some point you look up and one guy has a thousand of them, and another guy has hardly any, while most guys have several.

 

The list I posted of Slavin and Pesce's +/- ranking up and around all guys on hugely plus teams is hard to ignore. They also have a huge gap between them and the rest of the team. They also face tough competition every night.

 

Also on the positive side is Jordan and Aho. Jordan stays at the top of that list nearly every year despite checking the top centers in the league night in and night out, and not putting up a ton of points himself. Aho was #2 in plus minus in the World Junior Tourney, and near the top of just about every team he's played, and is the top forward in plus minus this year despite being 19 and new to the NHL.

 

Personally, I find it too hard to know what to do with guys in the middle (the large majority of players). So personally I really only look for long term outliers up or down.

 

I do believe thought that you can see things on the ice with the outliers that backs up their stat too. To me the easiest is to watch Slavin and Pesce in our zone. Lots of slick little plays and sticks that break up chances over and over, staying with the puck carrier, hitting him, and taking the puck, etc.

 

Anyways, one thing we can all agree on, it is not a good stat.

 

Turns out beer girl was never even a Caniac. How weird is that. Still, she takes a nice picture :P.

Edited by remkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Was it BeerGirl? :P

german-beer-girl.gif

 

 

36 minutes ago, remkin said:

. . .

Turns out beer girl was never even a Caniac. How weird is that. Still, she takes a nice picture :P.

 

Can we make her an honorary one? :P

Edited by LakeLivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Tripp weighs in on +/-  last night during the broadcast. Touting the stat like a hockey bible. I felt like he read my post and was addressing me directly.  Now I'm forced to reevaluate my hatred for what I see is a mostly meaningless statistic. Could I be wrong about it, could I be blinded by my hate for math or just sticking to a stubborn prejudice.

 

Well I have been wrong before and will be again but for the moment I'm sticking to my belief that it is a meaningless stat.

 

The one plus minus stat that I do believe in is the goal differential and we are a -21 there as a team.  Only one team, Ottawa is in playoff position with a -2 goal differential three better than the next team trying for a playoff spot. Only one team in playoff position has is on par with our goals scored and that is Ottawa. Every other team ahead of us has scored more team goals and every team below us in the standings has scored less goals. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope this guy gets a standing O every time he steps on the ice Saturday.

This was tough to watch

 

 

 

 

Go BICKS!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough to watch indeed, mostly because the cameramen wouldn't back off. 

 

Think a teammate shoulda jumped in and shoo'ed the reporters away for him but I guess no one may have noticed.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, OBXer said:

I hope this guy gets a standing O every time he steps on the ice Saturday.

This was tough to watch

Go BICKS!

 

7 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Tough to watch indeed, mostly because the cameramen wouldn't back off. 

 

Think a teammate shoulda jumped in and shoo'ed the reporters away for him but I guess no one may have noticed.

 

Seems like Bicks knows he's done but didn't want to say anything before he tells his teammates. 

 

I kept waiting for the reporter (was it Maniscalco?) to help him out.  I thought it was rude of him not to do so.

 

Here's hoping he can find the net at least one more time in these last 2 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:15 AM, OBXer said:

So Tripp weighs in on +/-  last night during the broadcast. Touting the stat like a hockey bible. I felt like he read my post and was addressing me directly.  Now I'm forced to reevaluate my hatred for what I see is a mostly meaningless statistic. Could I be wrong about it, could I be blinded by my hate for math or just sticking to a stubborn prejudice.

 

Well I have been wrong before and will be again but for the moment I'm sticking to my belief that it is a meaningless stat.

 

The one plus minus stat that I do believe in is the goal differential and we are a -21 there as a team.  Only one team, Ottawa is in playoff position with a -2 goal differential three better than the next team trying for a playoff spot. Only one team in playoff position has is on par with our goals scored and that is Ottawa. Every other team ahead of us has scored more team goals and every team below us in the standings has scored less goals. 

 

 

 

Being on the opposite side of tripp..usually a good thing FWIW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:33 AM, OBXer said:

I hope this guy gets a standing O every time he steps on the ice Saturday.

This was tough to watch

 

 

 

 

Go BICKS!

So, OBXer, Why can't we do this as you suggest? I'll be there and I certainly will do my share. How about others on here if you are going to this last game? Are we united on this front for this special player? Come on Canes, this is where our arena is head and shoulders above any other, in our compassion!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously MS happening to anyone, let alone an athlete, is a terrible thing. I have to believe,that if healthy, Bickell would have brought the leadership and toughness that this team needs. I hope the organization finds something to keep him around. There just seems something special about hockey players.

Edited by caniac6
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Obviously MS happening to anyone, let alone an athlete, is a terrible thing. I have to believe,that if healthy, Bickell would have brought the leadership and toughness that this team needs. I hope the organization finds something to keep him around. There just seems something special about hockey players.

Or I wonder if Chicago might do it?  He was with them a number of years, and now that they know why he fell off . . .  I wonder if his family now considers Raleigh "home", or if they're still adjusting to the move from Chicago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Or I wonder if Chicago might do it?  He was with them a number of years, and now that they know why he fell off . . .  I wonder if his family now considers Raleigh "home", or if they're still adjusting to the move from Chicago?

During the interview with his wife tonight, she said they definitely like the weather here, so there is that possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hopper915 said:

During the interview with his wife tonight, she said they definitely like the weather here, so there is that possibility.

I was thinking that hopper. Milder weather is definitely better for MS patients, than that blustery weather Chicago offers, Also, his treatment and his physician at Duke is renowned, no matter how one feels about the Blue Devils. haha. I'd say that its a good chance that Bryan and family might be around for a long time to come.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at the game last night.  Blues team was extremely classy toward Bicks especially considering how nasty the Hawks/Blues rivalry is.  Fans were great too as were his team mates. Just a feel good all the way around.  He was drafted by the Hawks in 2004 and won 3 Cups with them. He won't stick around here IMO. He either has to get a job with the Hawks with full benny's like healthcare or it will be back to Canada where that smart country has a single payer system and he will always have great healthcare. Either way 10 seasons in the NHL and 3 Cups - a hell of a career and made about 20 million.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

raleighcaniac, don't believe so, as I believe he believes his best care and geographical location for his disease, as I've mentioned elsewhere, comes in Research Triangle Park. Also, the Flyers, despite how I've maligned them thru the years, showed equal class celebrating Bryan's shootout goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well ladies and gents, another long offseason is upon us.  We made some great strides with our young'uns this year (especially Aho), we saw some of our bigger names have a nice resurgence this year (Skinner), and we were once again, imo, proven that JR really screwed us with the Jordan Staal trade and subsequent contract.  I sincerely hope we somehow can sign a decent center/winger or two and then rid ourselves of the last JR albatross this summer. 

I really like Faulk, and maybe it's just me, but I thought he took a step backwards this season...I can't remember seeing him caught out of position or flat footed so many times as this year.

Coaching staff has the right plan in place...our PP still needs massive improvement.  We led PK for almost the entire season before that crappy losing streak in February ended that distinction.  OT remains concern, but we made improvement in SO.  Then again, SO is really a crapshoot.

 

I want to remain optimistic about our playoff chances next year, but it all rides on the moves Franchise makes this summer.  If he stands pat on offensive firepower, we're screwed.  If he keeps both Lack and Ward and rides them like we've done the past two years, we might as well start tanking early for the #1 pick in 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think he'll stand pat, but i still wonder if he'll be able to bring in the big guns he really needs or if he'll be limited to the Versteeg/Stempniak variety.  Not that either are bad players, of course, but neither are they McDavid.  But then as we all know it takes two parties to get players here so he can only make the attempts.  I do think he will - though at the same time i think he's already been making attempts and he just hasn't found willing partners yet.

 

As far as the late-season playoff rush, if my math is right the only way they would have made it in is if they had continued to win every single game and therefore finish with 96 points.  A single OTL in that run would have left them with 95 points, with the same exact record as Toronto, but losing the head-to-head which i believe is the next tiebreaker?  It was still fun to watch and underlines the fact that next year has to be the year.  There was at least improvement this season, albeit small - 1 point and a +7 goal differential over last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...