The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In-Season Talk 2016-17

I don't think we could of asked more from a last game .

Bicks gets his goal and we win a shootout

Best Canes feel good moment of the season comes in the shootout, final game. Bickell goes out a multi millionaire with a 10 year NHL career, 3 championship rings and a goal on his last ever shot with family there to watch and players on both teams who genuinely were happy for him. Don't like Philly personally but the low 5's they gave him when he skated by their bench was pure class. Hawks should sign him to a one day contract so he can retire a Blackhawk, the team that drafted him.

This young team had two huge dips. Unfortunately one came at the beginning, and the other came just as we were reaching for the cut line.

The NHL has a very strange point system. I've said it before and will again. They know it and they want it, but it's dishonest in that it creates an illusion of a bunch of teams being within shooting distance of the playoffs when they are actually long out of it. If a team is more than 10 points out by Jan 1, they are done. It is not impossible, but next to impossible to close that or any bigger gap.

The thing about this season, is that we stayed legitimately in the race longer. So that was good at least.

But the point is, that to make the playoffs you need to get out early and then stay consistently above average overall. It is very hard to overcome bad starts.

So next year's team needs to be ready at the drop. This is part of why I think that gelling at the end here was more important than typical (not important at all typically). This young team needs to hit the ground running next year.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, remkin said:

. . .

The NHL has a very strange point system. I've said it before and will again. They know it and they want it, but it's dishonest in that it creates an illusion of a bunch of teams being within shooting distance of the playoffs when they are actually long out of it. If a team is more than 10 points out by Jan 1, they are done. It is not impossible, but next to impossible to close that or any bigger gap.

. . .

You might find this interesting: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/what-would-the-playoffs-look-like-with-a-three-point-standings-system

Not too much change this year, but the big caveat is that some games would likely have gone differently if teams were playing for 3 points in regulation instead of getting to OT and the guaranteed point. 

I would like to see what it would like if the entire NHL season were re-scored with 3 points for a win, 2 points for an overtime win and 1 point for an OT loss.  I'm sure the suits in NY have done this; would yield some interesting standings and possibly prevent the silly bunching up of playoff bubble teams where as rem said above is mostly perception that a team can make it in.

This is done every year, and in most years, the same teams get in the playoffs.

But what Remkin says is why the GMs like the current system.  It is a false hope with the current system.

The article argues that 3 points would cause teams to ramp it up in the final minutes.  I think that is a good point.  However, in conference games today, teams should be ramping it up to shut down the other team and avoid them getting a point.  I believe that happened AGAINST the Canes a few times especially early this year.  Wise teams realize it still is a 3 point game.

But that's all bogus for inter-conference games, so the point the article is still valid.

Still fat chance.  The suits love the current illusion.