The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
ynotagain

Fox Sports Carolina Dropped - No Canes Games now !

I went looking for the FS-CR channel Thursday night for the Canes game vs. St. Louis and it was no longer there.

So, I contacted ATMC, my local cable provider, and they informed me Friday morning that they had removed the FS-CR network from their line up. 

Said they could not accept the 42% non-negotiable price increase from FS-CR !    ATMC serves the eastern NC, Brunswick county area.

So now we're without Canes TV coverage here on the east coast.

Any other cable networks currently having this price/cost battle with FS-CR ??

I guess they should change their network name to Fox Sports some of Carolina !

Time Warner provides some service here, but not where we are.   Seems odd that ATMC just dropped the channel from their line up without any notice. 

They had announced other January 1st coverage changes, but never mentioned dropping FS-CR.   

So I'm hoping it's just a negotiating game.

Otherwise, yes, I'll be looking at a satellite service.  

ynot, I'm using SlingTV and it works fine. The only drawback is that games on Fox Sports Southeast are NOT carried, only those on Fox Sports Carolinas. Fortunately only eight games are on SE all year, but just be advised.

The Sling Blue package is $25 a month, give or take, with taxes. I'm not surprised by ATMC's decision; since it is a cooperative (member-owned), they need to make sure there is sufficient viewer demand for every channel and that the fees don't kill them. Different business model than for-profit cable providers with a huge viewer pool.

I'm with coastal, cut the cable if you can. Mrs. Shelf and I did so years ago in favor of Netflix. I actually listened to games on the radio until this year (could no longer stand Chuck's one-man show, constant complaining about the use of analytics, and somewhat sporadic actual calling of the on-ice action). We got Sling specifically for the Canes and are happy with it. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

I use an Amazon Firestick to stream the games with the Fox Sports Go app. I borrow the login and password from my sister. It works great. There are also streams available from different add-ons using the Kodi App on my Amazon Firestick. You could also stream the games from NHL.com if you want to pay for it...:rolleyes:

On 1/7/2017 at 8:06 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

ynot, I'm using SlingTV and it works fine. The only drawback is that games on Fox Sports Southeast are NOT carried, only those on Fox Sports Carolinas. Fortunately only eight games are on SE all year, but just be advised.

I'm heavily considering SlingTV for the house, what are you using to stream? Roku, etc?

Hows the latency? How often does it stop your program to buffer?

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I'm heavily considering SlingTV for the house, what are you using to stream? Roku, etc?

Hows the latency? How often does it stop your program to buffer?

I stream it through a Roku stick. Latency isn't an issue; I've got 10kbps service which generally runs closer to 8-9k. If Mrs. Shelf is online I will very occasionally (once or twice per game at most, and lasting maybe five secs) get a fuzzy picture, that's about it. It has cut out completely only twice all season that I recall, and I just re-loaded the channel.

Just remember what I noted above, that you can't get FS Southeast on Sling, just FS Carolinas. Southeast carries 8 games this year. Also, there is about a 2-minute delay from what folks seem to be getting on their cable services. If you're in Chat here while watching, you may find out about a goal or penalty in Chat before you see it on Sling ;)

Edited by top-shelf-1

6 hours ago, caniac6 said:

can you get local channels on sling?

Nope. The technology of choice for those who want local TV without cable seems to be antennae. Provided you're within 50 miles of the signal, they reportedly work great, and (like everything else) have gone digital. My neighbor and brother-in-law both use them.

I've got the newest Hopper from DISH and it's awesome. Local channels, records something like up to 14 channels at a time, sling technology (not that I can use it because my DSL internet connection is painfully slow), a ridiculously big hard drive, etc., etc. 

Not sure how cheaply you can get into it though.  Pretty sure you're not going to get a package that includes Fox Sports for $20 or $30 dollars.

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Nope. The technology of choice for those who want local TV without cable seems to be antennae. Provided you're within 50 miles of the signal, they reportedly work great, and (like everything else) have gone digital. My neighbor and brother-in-law both use them.

Our TWC cable was out for about 5 or 6 days following Hurricane Matthew and in desperation to watch something, anything on TV, I bought a digital antennae.  I just bought the cheapest one they had at Best Buy and was impressed with how many channels I got and the picture quality.