The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Ron Francis among 100 best

RF gets acknowledged as among the all time best

Francis named one of NHL’s 100 greatest players

Jagr, a former teammate in Pittsburgh, has called him the “most underrated player in NHL history.”

I'm not sure how underrated he was. I think hockey fans always recognized just how good he was. He just had the fortunate luck to play with and the unfortunate luck to be overshadowed by the likes of Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr

I know I always loved to watch him play.

Congratulations RF on this latest honor.

• Like 1

Number 5 all time points, number 2 all time assists. Yeah, top 100 is pretty easy. He was underrated in just how good he was. When he was with Hartford, he was one of those guys who it was obvious he was far and away the best player on the ice. When he got to Pittsburgh, yeah, Jagr, Lemieux, but those guys are at the very tip top pinnacle.

Francis averaged 1.05 ppg over his entire career. Only 28 players have done that.

Interesting finding: Brett Hull and his father Bobby Hull were both on that list, and finished their careers with exactly the same ppg: 1.10. They are listed one after the other on the list of points per game. (Bret played more games, so is listed higher on total points).

Thing interesting only to me: I got Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita (also on the ppg list) autographs when I was about 6 years old living in Chicago. Both played on the same Blackhawks team. It's lost and long gone now, but have the memory anyways. Funny thing, despite a lot of time passing and such a young age, I remember it clear as day.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 2

I hadn't realized how impressive GMRFs numbers were.  Number 2 all time in assists?  Number 5 in points?  Wow!

Edited by LakeLivin

On 1/28/2017 at 9:31 AM, OBXer said:

I'm not sure how underrated he was. I think hockey fans always recognized just how good he was. He just had the fortunate luck to play with and the unfortunate luck to be overshadowed by the likes of Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr

I know I always loved to watch him play.

Congratulations RF on this latest honor.

Mario Lemieux AND Jaromir Jagr, as great as they both are/were, only won Stanley cups when Ronnie Francis was on their team.   That's what always occurs to me about Ronnie, he was the secret weapon.

3693970561_35b98c9f5b.jpg

• Like 1

congrats to Ronnie!!! it is a well deserved honor and he really belongs on the list.

Not to sidetrack thread too much, but sure some strange choices in that list? mats sundin over hossa? What about iginla? or malkin? heck towes and kane made it. I know Toronto press has a lot of weight, but c'mon!