The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
JBBSPEED

Mr. Francis

Mr. Francis you have proved yourself not to be the answer we needed after all the big mistakes our last GM made.

The Hainsey trade is another poor move by a franchise who has no clue on who is talent or HOW TO KEEP talent on the roster. 

So please just go ahead and trade away the rest of our talent ( Skinner, Faulk ) for second round draft pick.

For the $ I would rather watch the Raleigh Ice Caps then a NHL team who has in the past let player like Ray Whitney, Justin Williams, go.

Edited by JBBSPEED
spelling error

Yeah, totally shoulda kept the 35-year-old pending FA with no playoff appearances and the -16 rating, instead of moving him for a second-round pick and a solid prospect.

JBBSPEED for GM!!

The funny thing about the Icecaps comment is the fact that they were a minor league version of the Carolina Hurricanes.  They were a family oriented non-hitting team in a league where fisticuffs reigned supreme.  I used to get mad about a lot of the same issues with them.

And they never even won a cup.  Get that.  We won a Stanley Cup and never won a Riley Cup.

I do miss the $2 beers though, and my season tickets at center ice for $195.   It was a crying shame when the beers went up to $3.

36 minutes ago, JBBSPEED said:

Mr. Francis you have proved yourself not to be the answer we needed after all the big mistakes our last GM made.

The Hainsey trade is another poor move by a franchise who has no clue on who is talent or HOW TO KEEP talent on the roster. 

So please just go ahead and trade away the rest of our talent ( Skinner, Faulk ) for second round draft pick.

For the $ I would rather watch the Raleigh Ice Caps then a NHL team who has in the past let player like Ray Whitney, Justin Williams, go.

You should give Francis a call, he could probably use your expertise.

I should have not made the Ice Caps comment, its not the point I was trying to make.

We have only a few players on this team who would make the roster on all the the NHL teams and Hainsey was one of those players.

We let player like Dennis Seidenberg who go on to be great everywhere they play and we keep players like Murphy who would not make another NHL rosrter.

My point is dump Murphy - Not Hainsey. We should keep player who can play and weed-out ones who cant. Talent valuation is suffering under our GM's. 

2 minutes ago, hag65 said:

The funny thing about the Icecaps comment is the fact that they were a minor league version of the Carolina Hurricanes.  They were a family oriented non-hitting team in a league where fisticuffs reigned supreme.  I used to get mad about a lot of the same issues with them.

And they never even won a cup.  Get that.  We won a Stanley Cup and never won a Riley Cup.

I do miss the $2 beers though, and my season tickets at center ice for $195.   It was a crying shame when the beers went up to $3.

Totally miss the Icecaps, aside from the little exercise where they all felt they had to go back and touch the goal line every time the puck was cleared on the power play.  ANd yeah, they weren't much on hitting either.

7 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah, totally shoulda kept the 35-year-old pending FA with no playoff appearances and the -16 rating, instead of moving him for a second-round pick and a solid prospect.

JBBSPEED for GM!!

Yep I would have kept one of the best player on our team. That second round pick has not helped us make any playoff run at all but I bet the 35 year old FA would have!

7 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

13 minutes ago, hag65 said:

We won the cup in 2006 and then let everyone who helped us win go.

Its been 11 years of poor talent evaluation since.

Mr. Francis, I'm sorry we have moronic fans that write stupid stuff on the interwebs that your family may have to read.  Also, how dare you let players go before you were in charge of letting players go.  Couldn't you have done something about Ray Whitney or Justin/Jason Williams?  I mean, Ray Ray refused to be traded and Justin/Jason couldn't stay healthy enough to stay on the ice for the Canes, but you should have done something.  

I also have issues with you refusing to address global warming, the demise of the honey bee, Tiger Woods' back, the NC State basketball coaching situation, and Cam Newton's season.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JBBSPEED said:

We won the cup in 2006 and then let everyone who helped us win go.

Its been 11 years of poor talent evaluation since.

We have debated this ad-nauseum in other threads but the summary is, being a fan of a small market team is not for the faint of heart.  Being a fan of a small market team with an owner who really can't afford to take losses is really not for the faint of heart.

We all want to spend to the cap but it won't happen with this situation.  I hope a multi-billionaire buys the team and keeps it here.  Someone who can treat it like a toy, not like a business.

We lost a lot of guys from 2006 because we couldn't pay them, plain and simple.  Not cause we made a mistake and didn't think they were good.

13 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Mr. Francis, I'm sorry we have moronic fans that write stupid stuff on the interwebs that your family may have to read.  Also, how dare you let players go before you were in charge of letting players go.  Couldn't you have done something about Ray Whitney or Justin/Jason Williams?  I mean, Ray Ray refused to be traded and Justin/Jason couldn't stay healthy enough to stay on the ice for the Canes, but you should have done something.  

I also have issues with you refusing to address global warming, the demise of the honey bee, Tiger Woods' back, the NC State basketball coaching situation, and Cam Newton's season.  

The point of players form the past was the trend and Hainsey is part of the trend. I am so sorry you missed that.

We have but so little talent on this team that would make other teams rosters.

Trading away the talent we do have for a second round pick who my never make a  another NHL roster is not a good move.

We do not have big market money so replacing talent can not be bought like other teams.

We need to keep the talent we do have and stop the trend.

Edited by JBBSPEED
sp

40 minutes ago, JBBSPEED said:

Yep I would have kept one of the best player on our team. That second round pick has not helped us make any playoff run at all but I bet the 35 year old FA would have!

So you like Ron. I get that. But forget that you do - for just a moment - and consider this question:

How does moving Hainsey for assets now - with his contract about to expire and us not making the playoffs, because we are not - prevent us from re-acquiring him if we wish this off-season?

Maybe that happens, maybe it doesn't. But with him on the roster, we cannot find out whether we'll get what we need from other D in our system. It's part of rebuilding, and every team that rebuilds (successfully, that is) does it.

Any team that can get a high pick and prospect for a 35-year-old pending UFA is going to jump at that opportunity--except a team run by JR, which pretty much explains why this team was forced to rebuild.

And by the way, comparing Hainsey to Seidenberg is ridiculous. Seidenberg is the consistently effective shot-blocking Dman Hainsey only wishes he could be.

JBB from your opening post it is apparent you think Francis is not the man for the job. Fair enough. But here is the but...Many of us and I might say most of us have suffered through the lean years just like you and have a certain degree of frustration but we are in a rebuild in its third year. Rebuilds hit speed bumps and it is how you deal with them that counts. The team in spite of the record is slowly improving.

Why trade Hainsey, afterall he has been a good team player, a veteran player and yes a proven NHLer that was often asked to play above his pay grade . The but..But he is an aging NHLer on youth oriented team, but he is a Free Agent on a team that won't make the playoffs, With that in mind and no guarantee you will resign him don't you think the wise move, even the traditional move, is to move him as a rental and get what you can.

What did it accomplish

It returned a 2nd rounder and AHL depth player

It allowed Hanifin to move up to second pair with a quality partner

It allowed Faulk to move up to 1st pair with a quality partner ( and yes if Faulk is on the table this off-season you  have to know how he plays with a better D-man)

It allowed Murphy to get back in the lineup for one last look

It allowed Murphy back into the lineup to play enough games to qualify as an expansion draft exposed player

It opened up one if not two slots for a Charlotte player to fill next year in the rebuild.

I will say this Francis and Peters era has won nothing yet. At some point that has to change but not yet. Both men seem to have a vision for this team and how to achieve it. We are still in early days of a rebuild. This conversation will be much more valid at the end of next season if improvement doesn't happen

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OBXer said:

JBB from your opening post it is apparent you think Francis is not the man for the job. Fair enough. But here is the but...Many of us and I might say most of us have suffered through the lean years just like you and have a certain degree of frustration but we are in a rebuild in its third year. Rebuilds hit speed bumps and it is how you deal with them that counts. The team in spite of the record is slowly improving.

Why trade Hainsey, afterall he has been a good team player, a veteran player and yes a proven NHLer that was often asked to play above his pay grade . The but..But he is an aging NHLer on youth oriented team, but he is a Free Agent on a team that won't make the playoffs, With that in mind and no guarantee you will resign him don't you think the wise move, even the traditional move, is to move him as a rental and get what you can.

What did it accomplish

It allowed Faulk to move up to 1st pair with a quality partner ( and yes if Faulk is on the table this off-season you  have to know how he plays with a better D-man)

It allowed Murphy back into the lineup to play enough games to qualify as an expansion draft exposed player

It opened up one if not two slots for a Charlotte player to fill next year in the rebuild.

I will say this Francis and Peters era has won nothing yet. At some point that has to change but not yet. Both men seem to have a vision for this team and how to achieve it. We are still in early days of a rebuild. This conversation will be much more valid at the end of next season if improvement doesn't happen

It also gave a good soldier the opportunity to play for a cup, something he has never done.  He probably asked for it, and the fact that we accommodated him makes him more likely to want to return if we do want him back.  Win/win.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, OBXer said:

What did it accomplish

Some very good points but I would say that keeping him on the team for his experience in teaching the new guys on how it is done. Loyalty to player like Hainesy should be a way to keep and resign him. If the Pens want Hainsey its for a reason, They know he is a valuable player and we need valuable players! Hainsey should have had an (A) on his jersey. The team should have had him push the new guys in a direction of how to be a pro day in and day out. Hainsey was clutch, he did not just disappear when you needed him the most. The long term effect of having him mentor players like Faulk, Slavie and Pesce can not be replace by a second round pick! Again we have but so little Talent and we do not have the luxury of buying FA's so we need to do are best to keep what PRO's like Hainsey for as long as we can even if he is 35.

Edited by JBBSPEED
sp