The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
JBBSPEED

Mr. Francis

8 minutes ago, JBBSPEED said:

Some very good points but I would say that keeping him on the team for his experience in teaching the new guys on how it is done. Loyalty to player like Hainesy should be a way to keep and resign him. If the Pens want Hainsey its for a reason, They know he is a valuable player and we need valuable players! Hainsey should have had an (A) on his jersey. The team should have had him push the new guys in a direction of how to be a pro day in and day out. Hainsey was clutch, he did not just disappear when you needed him the most. The long term effect of having him mentor players like Faulk, Slavie and Pesce can not be replace by a second round pick! Again we have but so little Talent and we do not have the luxury of buying FA's so we need to do are best to keep what PRO's like Hainsey for as long as we can even if he is 35.

Are you sure that this trade shows disloyalty?  Is it possible it instead shows loyalty?

Example:

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/news/francis-waives-no-trade-to-come-to-t-o/c-459900

20 minutes ago, JBBSPEED said:

Some very good points but I would say that keeping him on the team for his experience in teaching the new guys on how it is done. Loyalty to player like Hainesy should be a way to keep and resign him. If the Pens want Hainsey its for a reason, They know he is a valuable player and we need valuable players! Hainsey should have had an (A) on his jersey. The team should have had him push the new guys in a direction of how to be a pro day in and day out. Hainsey was clutch, he did not just disappear when you needed him the most. The long term effect of having him mentor players like Faulk, Slavie and Pesce can not be replace by a second round pick! Again we have but so little Talent and we do not have the luxury of buying FA's so we need to do are best to keep what PRO's like Hainsey for as long as we can even if he is 35.

You won't get an argument from me on what Hainsey did in his time as a Cane. When a team finds itself in the position the Canes are in and knowing you have to make tough decisions it isn't always easy to see the result. When it became apparent to me that the Canes would not be in the playoff conversation I was hoping Hainsey would be traded and traded to a playoff team. If anyone ever deserved the playoffs for hard work it was Hainsey. I think Francis made the tough and right decision but give RF some credit he found a playoff team for a deserving player. He didn't have to do that.

I'd say Francis did Hainsey one bigger than just a playoff team. That is a cup contending team. Not only should he get a cup run, but it gets Hainsey's name of the top of that list of players with most games played and no playoff appearances too. I've been a fan of Hainsey most of the year. I like a lot of what he brought this team, but from our end, he's been a bit off lately and from his end this is absolutely a plus for him.

Edited by remkin

2 hours ago, JBBSPEED said:

I should have not made the Ice Caps comment, its not the point I was trying to make.

We have only a few players on this team who would make the roster on all the the NHL teams and Hainsey was one of those players.

We let player like Dennis Seidenberg who go on to be great everywhere they play and we keep players like Murphy who would not make another NHL rosrter.

My point is dump Murphy - Not Hainsey. We should keep player who can play and weed-out ones who cant. Talent valuation is suffering under our GM's. 

Uh.. murphy gets you back a 1/2 eaten ham sandwich .. I know on message boards some "think" you can trade your crap for another's team gold.. but in reality doesn't happen.. hainsey about the only one with trade value in that a contender looking for VETERN DEPTH might take... we aren't trading our young talent( hence the rebuild)..so not sure your point

OMG, cmon JBB, we got a second round pick for...........nevermind man, you don't seem to get how it works no matter how hard anyone explains it.  This was actually one of the best moves Francis has made.  Hainsey wasn't worth more than a 4th round pick.  He was an average D man that is getting old.  I'm happy he gets a chance to get in the playoffs on a top team and thank him for his excellent work he did here.  He was solid.

1 hour ago, JBBSPEED said:

Some very good points but I would say that keeping him on the team for his experience in teaching the new guys on how it is done.

Yeah, totally: "Watch closely, lads. THIS is how you get to -16!!!"

• Like 1

You're kidding about all of this, right? Hainsey was signed as a last minute filler for a short handed defense 4 years ago. He played exactly 300 games with the Canes. A 2nd round pick for him was highway robbery (by us) that only happened because half of Pittsburgh's defense is injured. If they all get healthy, it is very possible Hainsey watches most of the playoffs from the press box. I agree that he has been a good soldier for the Canes and has brought toughness to the team where little of it could be found elsewhere. As to why we could let Hainsey go, here's a list: Slavin, Pesce, Faulk, Fleury, McKeown, Carrick, Bean. The foundation of what can be a great young defense in the not distant future. Ronnie drafted the last 4 of those guys. And, he did Hainsey a solid for his contributions to the Canes. The man is 35 years old and has never played in a single playoff game. Last but not least, I highly doubt Pittsburgh has any intention of signing Hainsey beyond this year (of course you never know with JR). So if we want him back next year, we can pursue him just like everyone else. Meanwhile, that second round pick could net us another Aho or Faulk (both second rounders), or could be used in a trade to fill some glaring needs. As far as not resigning some of the Cup players, that was on Karmanos. He wouldn't pay them. And Justin Williams was traded while injured to reacquire Erik Cole, which was an integral move in our making our last playoff appearance in 2009, and winning 2 rounds. That was also a JR trade, but one that paid off in the short term at the very least. That's all I've got.

Tonight on the aftermath Forslund also opined that a 4th rounder was probably what Hainsey would have brought if Pittsburgh wasn't so desperate.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hag65 said:

The funny thing about the Icecaps comment is the fact that they were a minor league version of the Carolina Hurricanes.  They were a family oriented non-hitting team in a league where fisticuffs reigned supreme.  I used to get mad about a lot of the same issues with them.

And they never even won a cup.  Get that.  We won a Stanley Cup and never won a Riley Cup.

I do miss the $2 beers though, and my season tickets at center ice for $195.   It was a crying shame when the beers went up to $3.

I miss the Hawaii Five O break. And the little girl winning the car. And being able to have conversations during breaks .

Edited by winger52

Pittsburgh was desperate and we retained salary to make it work.  That's what got us the 2nd.  It was highway robbery for the Canes.  One case where the plethora of cap space will help.  I am actually a Hainsey fan and was sad to see him go, but we are a seller not a buyer right now.  And now he gets a legitimate shot to win a cup.  No betterr way to reward him for his time with us.  

And if we need another Hainsey this off-season, I'm sure we can find one.  They are not hard to find.

5 hours ago, Kyrule said:

I've been ready to move on from Hainsey for awhile, but that's just me...

A-freakin'-men. I get that on a totally bad team, +/- is an almost meaningless stat. What I don't get is how some ppl say it is also meaningless on a team where the guys on one D-pairing - the ones with the least NHL experience - are double-digits to the good, while both guys with the most NHL experience are double-digits awful. 

3 hours ago, winger52 said:

I miss the Hawaii Five O break. And the little girl winning the car. And being able to have conversations during breaks .

I miss the price of gas when it was 0.36 a gallon.

I really don't know whether to be serious here or not.

JR did a good job in assembling the 06 Cup team, and he made some good trades to strengthen the group.  After that season, he (not RF) continuously refused to retain needed players after handing EStaal and Ward the keys to the kingdom.  He let guys like Cullen and Cole go and replaced them with guys like Trevor Letowski and Jeff Hamilton.  JR also gave away picks in order to get rid of his bad decisions, like a 4th and a 6th to LA to get rid of Anthony Stewart and bing in Hall of Fame pylon, Kevin Westgarth.  Then there is JRs refusal to take the draft seriously and trade 2nd rounders away for guys like Nash and Sanguinetti.  The icing on the cake is JR not being able to read the writing on the wall and commit to selling at the deadline when the team was out of the running to recoup some assets (but the way he approached the draft, it probably didn't matter anyway).  All of this left RF and the Canes with an organization that was short on both high end talent and prospects.

RF has been building a strong foundation while some fans wanted to pick out wallpaper and ligh fixtures.  I'd say at this point, the sheet rock is being finished and it's now time to start with the final touches.  I will agree that this summer, GMRF needs to do something beyond waiting for the concrete in the foundation to set.  

• Like 1

You all have been duped.  This post is am obvious troll.  I don't know what is more sad, the fact that the OP may actually be serious or that he got all of you to seriously respond to this bait.

Edited by bluedevil58

I smelled troll right off the bat, but don't go trying to deprive me of my fun.  Some around here have been making the same complaints, but being a little less "in your face" than the OP here.  BD58, shame on you for starting this thread under an alias' name.

36 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I am upset that the team continues to miss the playoffs and not make any progress.

I somehow think all of us have this frustration of missing the playoffs again.  I do though disagree about the lack of progress.  The organization is on much better footing now than it was 3 years ago, when we were missing playoffs and the cupboard was bare.  At least now there are some ingredients in the cupboard for the chef to work with.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HckyDude said:

Mr. Francis

As good as you were on the ice, you are as bad a GM as I think I've seen in the past 20+ years.   You need to do the right thing and step down before we loose the rest of our die-hard fans to your poor evaluation of skill, and lack of knowledge on building a winner.   While your at it... please take coach Peters with you.   Again... what is wrong with hiring a skilled proven coach that can take young players and get something out of them.   Peters makes coach "MO' look like a genius!!!

Why is it that whenever I see a post like this it makes me think that it's a regular member of our boards who just opened a 2nd account under a different name? :facepalm2: