The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
JBBSPEED

Mr. Francis

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

Why is it that whenever I see a post like this it makes me think that it's a regular member of our boards who just opened a 2nd account under a different name? :facepalm2:

Mods can check IPs.  In any case, it is clearly a trolling operation.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Mods can check IPs.  In any case, it is clearly a trolling operation.  

True, but couldn't someone open a second account from work using a different email address?  But you're right about the trolling . . . 

21 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

True, but couldn't someone open a second account from work using a different email address?  But you're right about the trolling . . . 

Yes they could--from their office in downtown QC. What's Quebecois for "morons"??

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yes they could--from their office in downtown QC. What's Durhamanian for "morons"??

Corrected that for you.

Mr. Francis,

Thank goodness you traded Hainsey for a second round pick, & any other older player with UFA behind their name these past few years. You sir are a genius, and the Canes have the most youthful skilled core in the league...not to mention the deepest, most skilled prospect pool the organization has ever had. While we would have all loved to make the playoffs in year 3 of a 5 year rebuild those of us with eyes can see your ultimate vision. Soon people like JBB will be on the bandwagon(saying that they are your biggest fan) when the Canes reach several seasons in a row of not only making the playoffs every year, but as this young core finally starts to mature into a contender. Continue to add to the youth, picks, & prospects!!! Real Canes fans are behind you, & your plan.

Lay off Durham. "Raleighanians" have a rich history of putting Durham down. After all the money that this "Durhamanian" has spent supporting the Hurricanes, it is very disappointing to see one of the "Carolina Hurricanes Administrators" make such an ignorant statement about my hometown. I guess the Canes don't need my support after all.

43 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Lay off Durham. "Raleighanians" have a rich history of putting Durham down. After all the money that this "Durhamanian" has spent supporting the Hurricanes, it is very disappointing to see one of the "Carolina Hurricanes Administrators" make such an ignorant statement about my hometown. I guess the Canes don't need my support after all.

Dude, he was correcting my guess that this particular troll is from Quebec, having, as he does, access to their IP address--not disparaging Durhamites as a group. 

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Dude, he was correcting my guess that this particular troll is from Quebec, having, as he does, access to their IP address--not disparaging Durhamites as a group. 

Then he should have said the IP address came from Durham. No need to put Durham and moron in the same sentence. The Canes have quite a lot of supporters over here.

I don't want to put words in Whaler's mouth, but the IP address is from Durham and I read it as Whaler pointing this out by asking the Durhamanian WORD for moron. To wit, what do Durhamanians call morons?

I think I can speak for the moderators on this one: we love our Durham brethren and sistren. Heck we love our fellow Canes fans and board members from everywhere, even as far away as Russia, right Ryazan Caniac? Heck we even sent a Canes hat to Russia to prove our love!

Edited by remkin

I grew up in Durham.  Either way the OP got what they wanted.  look at you people turning on each other and arguing meanwhile the crafter of this post is probably sitting behind their keyboard having a jolly Ole time!  Laughing away at our expense.  Well done OP.  Well done. 

Really mostly people seem to be having fun with this, I thought. Sometimes a position is far enough removed from reality we don't have to get too serious about it. Surely no need to get upset about this one. If this is trolling, it's trolling lite.

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Thanks for clarifying that while I was away.

My sincerest apology bluedevil. Since the previous 4 posts were all about IP # and email address of the hit and run poster, it did not occur to me that not everyone will catch on.  

It's pretty dadgum tough to miss out again and stay with the positive waves.

Most everyone was on board with the rebuild when the season started, and the direction. My bet is most all of those folks still are.   A few members saw what nobody was willing to admit maybe, myself included, I couldn't imagine the team would be worse at this point (in the standings only). 

But, good on those members.  It balances things out.

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 2

First things first....French for morons is les idiots (true).  I speak German and French rather fluently.

Secondly, having attended my sixth game of the year on Sunday, against Calgary, I still fail to see any improvement in this team.  This may not go over well with many on this board, but they continue to make the same mistakes game after game.  One example (of dozens) was in the first period (the Canes best period of the game) when one of the players (can't remember who) dumped the puck in the Calgary end literally one step behind the red line, with no one near him.  An icing call that never needed to happen.  I saw lazy passes, defensive breakdowns, and giveaways by the truck load.  If much of this is not on coaching, then we have the some of the dumbest and laziest players in the league.  And as far as this being "growing pains" with a young team...well, I would point out that both Columbus and Toronto have younger rosters than us.

29 minutes ago, Bigfist said:

First things first....French for morons is les idiots (true).  I speak German and French rather fluently.

Secondly, having attended my sixth game of the year on Sunday, against Calgary, I still fail to see any improvement in this team.  This may not go over well with many on this board, but they continue to make the same mistakes game after game.  One example (of dozens) was in the first period (the Canes best period of the game) when one of the players (can't remember who) dumped the puck in the Calgary end literally one step behind the red line, with no one near him.  An icing call that never needed to happen.  I saw lazy passes, defensive breakdowns, and giveaways by the truck load.  If much of this is not on coaching, then we have the some of the dumbest and laziest players in the league.  And as far as this being "growing pains" with a young team...well, I would point out that both Columbus and Toronto have younger rosters than us.

Yes, but Columbus has Bobrovsky and we have Ward...And Toronto has Matthews...Both teams have something our core lacks. A true top NHL star, & a true #1 goalie. I'm not saying that our rebuild hasn't had it bumps...like signing Ward, & Lack, but overall the team is headed in the right direction. Hopefully, GMRF will learn from his mistakes...we know he has learned from JR's mistakes. It would be nice if we traded a D or 2 for Duchene, but no one wants to give up Slavin, or Pesce...and I don't see Colorado taking Faluk back.

Canes need a change in net, both now & for the future. Ward or Lack need to go...then get a goalie either thru trade or FA...Plus draft the top two goalies this year...We have 10 picks!!! Winning the draft lottery and getting a top three pick would be nice too!!! :)

A lot of people have rose colored glasses on here with regards to RF and Peters.  RF was an all-star for this team and also an NHL super star.  They so badly want him to succeed as GM (myself included) and won't admit it when he is failing.  The same with Peters.  We have a head coach who had zero prior NHL head coaching experience upon coming here,  They equate him with Detroit and are hoping he will be like the legacy Detroit has/had and will not accept or admit that he is failing as a coach.  Now I am not saying we should fire RF nor am I saying we should fire Peters but I am getting to that point.  The more Skinner and Rask just fizzle out as the season goes on leads me to believe it's not the players but it's the system.  Stemp had 51 point last year.  Now he is on track for 38 points.  I can't help but wonder how Lindy, SKinner, Rask, and even Aho would do on other teams with different systems like we are seeing with Staal.  He obviously was not all washed up.

RF is quickly losing the fan base by being too over cautious with this 5-7 year rebuild.  You can say be patient all you want but that is a pretty unacceptable statement when over half of the teams make it to the playoffs every year and meanwhile we have this drought.  By the time the rebuild is over with I fear there will not be a team here due to the fan base being no longer to spin money on a crap product.  A major shake up is needed ASAP.

Edited by bluedevil58

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

A lot of people have rose colored glasses on here with regards to RF and Peters.  RF was an all-star for this team and also an NHL super star.  They so badly want him to succeed as GM (myself included) and won't admit it when he is failing.  The same with Peters.  We have a head coach who had zero prior NHL head coaching experience upon coming here,  They equate him with Detroit and are hoping he will be like the legacy Detroit has/had and will not accept or admit that he is failing as a coach.  Now I am not saying we should fire RF nor am I saying we should fire Peters but I am getting to that point.  The more Skinner and Rask just fizzle out as the season goes on leads me to believe it's not the players but it's the system.  Stemp had 51 point last year.  Now he is on track for 38 points.  I can't help but wonder how Lindy, SKinner, Rask, and even Aho would do on other teams with different systems like we are seeing with Staal.  He obviously was not all washed up.

RF is quickly losing the fan base by being too over cautious with this 5-7 year rebuild.  You can say be patient all you want but that is a pretty unacceptable statement when over half of the teams make it to the playoffs every year and meanwhile we have this drought.  By the time the rebuild is over with I fear there will not be a team here due to the fan base being no longer to spin money on a crap product.  A major shake up is needed ASAP.

Maybe you should write an open letter to Karmanos, or give him a call, or send him some smoke signals, or schedule an infomercial.  I don't think its RF's fault that he can't spend to the cap.  IMHO he is taking it slow not because he can't make a move for some higher priced guys, but knowing fully well once he does, he will not be able to make more and will be stuck with what he has.

Personally, I think BP coaches these guys to play above their abilities and thus we see these things happen, losing streaks when their razor thin margin fails.  If anything, he masks the problems with the team, whereas a worse coach would make them more obvious.  His system is all about doing more with less.

Likewise, RF has a plan but it doesn't include spending to the cap because it can't, at least not until PK believes we are a contender.  He opened his wallet in 2006 cause he thought we had a shot and it ended up that we did.

So if anything, you should gather a consortium of rich guys and buy the team, cause that's the best change that can be made for the impact you want.  In the meantime, we have to let RF try and work magic while being hamstrung.

As always, its all IMHO.

One thing we can all agree on is we are tired of it.

It's also a business.  It's Peter Karmanos' business.  If he is satisfied with the results, then it doesn't matter what we think.

What I think, is that PK finally realized that the team needed to go through the rebuild that should have started in about 2011.  He caused me a lot of heartburn a few years ago when he said in an interview that the fans were going to need to be more patient (I lost my #$%@ when he said that).  He was right.  While JR was rubbing in ointment and moving deck chairs, this team needed an enema. 

One way to be competitive is to spend.  If this team, for whatever reasons, is not going to be able to spend its way to prosperity, then the GM is going to have to come up with another way.  Years ago, Billy Bean did it in baseball with the Oakland A's.  I think RF is doing the "something different" that he has to do to make this work long term.  He is building a foundation for future prosperity.  Attendance has reached a low water mark and if PK can stand that for a few years while the pot simmers, then that is a business decision.

Is this rose colored glasses?  I don't know, but it is the view I get from the cheap seats.

Francis has very deliberately stuck to the plan so far, but I personally feel that he needs to make a bigger move before the start of next season. That the team has fallen out so fast, does give him the chance to play it his usual cool at the deadline and not need make a pressured move for a Duchene or similar at the deadline.

While it's certainly possible, I do think that he is looking at his cap space and the expansion draft and all of the picks he's accumulating and planning a move or two in the offseason.

I hope he can make a nice deadline deal, but then I hope we make the playoffs too.

44 minutes ago, remkin said:

Francis has very deliberately stuck to the plan so far, but I personally feel that he needs to make a bigger move before the start of next season. That the team has fallen out so fast, does give him the chance to play it his usual cool at the deadline and not need make a pressured move for a Duchene or similar at the deadline.

While it's certainly possible, I do think that he is looking at his cap space and the expansion draft and all of the picks he's accumulating and planning a move or two in the offseason.

I hope he can make a nice deadline deal, but then I hope we make the playoffs too.

I think RF should have a bargaining chip with PK as well since we hit the wall and slid to the bottom. It should signal that we have the orchestra and that we need the conductor. PK let me spend and trade for a goalie, a 1C and a top winger and I will increase your profit with playoff $'s.

9 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

PK honestly might be scared though based on what happened with Semin and Jordan Staal that one year.

That's why its a luxury to have an owner with so much money that its a toy to him and he doesn't run scared.  I hope the next owner or ownership group can open the coffers more.