The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

NHL Draft 2017 Talk

We'll be close 50 contracts after the draft unless we make trades. We have 37 now. We need 4 O players to make 12 but probably get 5 more.  Sign 4 to 5 picks now and the others after they finish school.  Gives us roughly 47, number will fluctuate if we fill vacant O slots with prospects.

With our final pick of the draft, we continue our obsession with all things Finland:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=109946

And with that, I'm out guys...I probably won't be back up on the forums til next weekend, as it's time for my vacation here in the sandbox to come to an end and I am headed back to OK later this week.  

Here's hoping for another Franchise miracle on snagging a few scorers for a few bags of pucks!

36 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Look who Edmonton drafted...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=107614

Franchise, you had better get Chiarelli on the phone RIGHT NOW and trade for this guy!!!

Keith Primeau's son, who is of all things a goalie, drafted by the Habs. Amazing the two players we swapped have their sons drafted this year.

I'm a little surprised RF only took 1 goalie among all of our later draft picks.  Figured he'd roll the dice a couple more times in that direction.

Edited by LakeLivin

disappointing... holding off getting mad until F/A.. but if Ronnie doesn't get those phones burning with 1-2 F/A scorer's for the 2017-2018 season, and tries the old "well nothing of value, we will develop" nonsense really going to scream.. because we are not making the playoffs with the roster we have now.. just reality

Edited by canes2017
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, canes2017 said:

disappointing... holding off getting mad until F/A.. but if Ronnie doesn't get those phones burning with 1-2 F/A scorer's for the 2017-2018 season, and tries the old "well nothing of value, we will develop" nonsense really going to scream.. because we are not making the playoffs with the roster we have now.. just reality

And you know he hasn't been on the phone already because...

38 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

And you know he hasn't been on the phone already because...

oh he's been on the phone.. but until get a player all useless and doesn't matter..That he made the statement of "doubt we use all the picks".. he obviously "thought" had some deals on the way, that didn't close them.. Need the closer now all else "fluff"...

Remember it takes two to tango. I truly believe GMRF tried to make a trade for a top 6 F, but he can't force other teams to make the deal.If the price was any of our top 4 D ++ then I'm happy he stood his ground. Tons of time to still make a deal with any of the several teams that are cap strapped...we can take a bad contract to get a good player...can send back prospects or future picks in return. Plus we still have FA to fill the holes if the trade route fails again.

This team as is should be better...better goal tending leads to new found team confidence...our D should take another step forward, & who knows maybe one of our forward prospect take a big step forward to fill one spot. Our Canes have the deepest high quality prospect pool that I have ever seen. I trust the process!!!

Here's a scouting report on our second rounder Eetu Luostarinen. https://finnishjuniorhockey.com/2017/06/04/2017-nhl-draft-profile-eetu-luostarinen/

He was a bit of a reach based on rankings, but then so was Aho, and that turned out pretty well.

I was at first a bit surprised at his low productivity, but that is in the highest league and vs. men. When he played in his age group he put up nearly a ppg. Another tall kid who could end up being pretty good sized.

Seems like our combined scouts make the first rounder, and a few others, and then Joni Pitkanen makes the rest of the picks. Hey, a lot of Finns went in the first round, and Aho turned out pretty well, so I'm not knocking it.

Seems like Loustarinen has a lot of upside already playing a smart, pro style game. I would not bet against our scouts in the top half of the second round.

Maybe the wrong thread for this, but might Vegas part with Neal for one of our D prospects and maybe a 3rd next year (or depending on which prospect, maybe straight up)? He would be solid second line, likely good for 20 goals, and bring lots of veteran and playoff experience.  

Saw the GMRF interview after the draft.  He was on the phone, but did not see the value in trading the picks for what we were being offered.  I have a feeling that most teams had unreasonable expectations for their returns (perhaps us as well).

We still have FA and "good ole' fashioned hockey trades" before the fall.

That's the thing. Despite talk of it, we really should not be looking for scoring "depth". We already have scoring depth. We need scoring height. And that, is hard to get for a bundle of draft picks, especially second and later rounders. (Of course it all comes down to definition of depth, and what is doable. In the end, getting a 20G, 45 point guy probably does get us there).

This is where it comes into focus. Our primary need, only one of the hardest positions in the NHL to fill: 1C. Realistically to get a 1C you have to give up something big, like say a top pair D man. We tend to assume that the other guy is asking too much. But we are talking about a top 45 producer. The kind that most teams have only a couple of on their entire roster. Are they asking too much? Maybe. But Francis has a history of getting without giving much. And, hey, if he can find the guy that way, it would be awesome, but really it is easier to get complimentary pieces or guys with a lot of potential that way. Not bonefide producers.

That's my concern. Francis doesn't want to give anything up. And if the price is one of our top 4 D, I get it. When you go one by one, there is a big risk to this year's team in moving any of those 4 guys.

Slavin: our best all around LHD. Not on the table.

Pesce: our best defensive RHD, by far. If we lose him, Faulk slides up to top pair. Not good. TVR slides up to middle pair. McKeown? to bottom pair? Not thinking he's ready.

Faulk: our only real offensive D threat. Also RHD depth issue. And played very well with Hanifin at the end, including defensively.

Hanifin: no where near his full potential. Could end up being our best overall D man in a year or two. Plus, then who slides to middle pair? Dahlbeck? Fleury?

But does a non proven Fleury plus second tier prospects get you a 1C? Why would it?

And there-in lies the dilemma, or challenge. How to find at least 20 goals (the more the better) without giving up a roster player.

Can he do it? I really though he could and would, but he is making me bite my nails because while he has made many many masterful smaller deals, he's not yet made one like we're talking about, and I'm not sure we have the ammo to pull of the big one unless we give up something we still need.

Again, this is where a UFA could bail us out. Oshie would have crushed it, but that ship sailed. I think J. Williams could be enough. But is he interested? Maybe could transition to a job in the organization after hockey?

I'm still hoping he can package some package of prospects to get a Duchene or someone like that.

I will add that while I am not keen on him, right now RNH probably gets us there. (Now with 4 points, all assists, in the playoffs, he probably doesn't help one there). But he's good for 20 goals and 45 points. But 4 more years at $6 million per....uggh. He is not worth that. Still, if we could get him without losing any major prospects. But could we? Probably not.

J Williams brings the points of RNH and bridges until Necas and Gauthier, Roy, Kuokannen, Saarela, etc, are ready, and we get to keep all of our prospects. All of them.

OK not really draft talk, but I did mention Necas, who could end up being our 2C or 1C in a few years.

Edited by remkin

Well that was a total meh of a weekend.  Weakest draft class in 15 years was a consensus I heard mentioned a couple times and we draft 7. With that type of consensus just maybe 1 or 2 will skate with the big club in the next 3 years. My issue is that we didn't need 7 draft picks out of a weak draft. We need NHL caliber players and we need them right now. So the first big opportunity has come and gone for the Canes without any upgrades. TVR is a really a question mark so he is at this point really not much to be all excited about. 

Upgrading our goal situation was a first step but that won't be enough to get us in the playoffs.  We still have the same group of anemic goal scorers at the forward positions. This team after this weekend is only minimally closer to the playoffs than they were last April. Ronnie has much work to do. I'll bet BP was in *edit* mode after this past weekend.

1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

Well that was a total meh of a weekend.  Weakest draft class in 15 years was a consensus I heard mentioned a couple times and we draft 7. With that type of consensus just maybe 1 or 2 will skate with the big club in the next 3 years. My issue is that we didn't need 7 draft picks out of a weak draft. We need NHL caliber players and we need them right now. So the first big opportunity has come and gone for the Canes without any upgrades. TVR is a really a question mark so he is at this point really not much to be all excited about. 

Upgrading our goal situation was a first step but that won't be enough to get us in the playoffs.  We still have the same group of anemic goal scorers at the forward positions. This team after this weekend is only minimally closer to the playoffs than they were last April. Ronnie has much work to do. I'll bet BP was in *edit* mode after this past weekend.

The same reason you didn't want 7 pics from this class is most likely the same reason we were left stuck with them. I'm pretty sure no Gm was gonna pull the trigger without one of our Top for Dman added to the package.

• Like 1