The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Man dies during ice hockey game

Very tragic.

Man dies during ice hockey game in Wake Forest

A man was playing ice hockey in Wake Forest when he hit the boards and could not be revived. Michael Twiss, 56, was playing hockey with his sons at the Polar Ice House at The Factory in Wake Forest when he reportedly skated head-first into the boards.

My thoughts are with the Twiss family

(Thanks to Canes Country for posting the link)

Last I heard they hadn't determined whether he died as a result of hitting the boards or maybe had a heart attack which caused him to hit the boards.  I did read that he was wearing a helmet.  Either way, it is tragic . . .

59 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Lake, depending on the day he died, it may be a few days before an autopsy is completed, particularly if findings are not straight forward?

Not sure why you ended that post with a question mark.  I can't imagine anyone else here who'd be near as qualified on that as you. :) 

I'll be curious to hear what they find.  If it was something like a heart attack or stroke, I'd consider the fact that it happened on the ice as being almost secondary, in that it otherwise could have happened when he was mowing the grass or whatever.  But if it came about as a result of colliding with the boards, that's a whole different narrative . . .