The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
winger52

Who's your Goalie?

Who's your Goalie?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Given recent events, and we can protect only one goalie, who do you protect?

• Eddie Lack
    • Cam Ward

Lost in this debate is the fairly astounding results of this poll. 15 to 1.

Amazing what a nice run can do for you.

I also voted Lack, and I've posted a while ago that I think we need to move on from Cam. His inconsistency is now consistent. He's keeps getting chances in part because he has good form, in part because he really does play well in stretches, and in part because coaches like him. But trying to use the good stretches to predict his overall numbers has proven to be inaccurate. He has been a much better goalie for that last two years than the awful years before that, and yet, he is still not even close to the #30 goalie in the league.

Look what this team has done with Eddie back there.

And Eddie is not just some young turk on a nice little run. He had two seasons in the NHL in Vancouver.

But still I'm surprised that nearly 100% here are ready for Eddie. And ready to move on from Cam.

I'm curious who voted to protect Cam, and who thinks Cam should be the guy moving forward, but for now, get ready for Eddie.

Edited by remkin

After Lack's great 6 game streak he's since given up 4 goals to Detroit and 3 goals to Pitt, with a combined save % of .868.  Ward has given up 1 goal in each of his last 3 games, and over his past 6 has a save % of .945.

Lack was up 15-1 in this poll during his streak, but I wonder what the results would be if the poll were restarted?  I'm not saying this to diss Eddie, just trying to get my head around the lopsided results and volatile nature of most but the very best goaltenders. 

I didn't vote the first time and still wouldn't want to have to choose right now.  I'd split Ward and Lack the rest of the way and go from there.  But I'm definitely looking for a different 1A this offseason, and I'm pretty comfortable that neither of whoever we expose will be picked up by Vegas.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I don't think it matters who you protect. How many 2nd liners like Stempniak will be available for Vegas to choose?

I don't think I expose Stempniak, even though that may have been part of the reason RF originally signed him to a 2 year deal.  I think I'd rather re-up Ryan (Vegas isn't going to take a 30yo, 2nd yr, 170lb 3rd line center anyways) and also expose Nordstrom.  Not that I'd like to lose Nordy, but I think we're close enough next year that I'd sacrifice Nordy's youth for Stemp's aditional production and veteran presence.  Plus, I think we could more easily fill Nordy's role with some of our upcoming yutes, including McGinn and/ or PDG who get bumped down when we pick up another legit 1st line forward this offseason (right, Mr. Francis?)

Edited by LakeLivin

I finally figured it out.  I protect neither.  I trade for someone who is likely going to be a high risk to be expansion drafted, either a solid veteran or high potential backup, and I protect the new guy, and if Vegas wants one of these guys so be it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Does Cam's limited NTC play into this?

For the expansion draft, only NMC have to be protected. But if we later want to move Cam, then yes, his NTC would obviously need to be considered.

4 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

SO Tom McCollum is looking really good.  WHat is the scoop on him?  SHould we take his wins in Charlotte with a grain of salt since it's the AHL?

He is a Calgary owned property on loan to us. And I think they want him through the expansion draft (don't know if he meets the required exposure requirements for a goalie, but it's what I heard). We'd have to trade for him to bring him up. There are better options at the end of the season to trade for if we want an NHL goalie replacement.

8 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

wow thanks.  I had no idea he was a rental and is doing better than all our goalie prospects. 

McCollum is 27yo and has played in 7 AHL seasons so not really comparable to our prospects.  Kind of right in the middle between our prospects and Leighton.

Do we have to keep either of them? I can't stand Lack and after his two concussions his IQ might me down to a +5. Another season of Taco commercials is a reason to sharpen the knives and to make a choice.I'll take Ward as a back up if we can get a legit no.1.

• Like 1

Trade with Pittsburgh for MA-F...give them Lack and our 2nd.  Fleury still has plenty of gas in the tank.

OR we sign Bishop in the offseason.

Problem solved

Neither guy is an NHL #1 goalie.

The team is the youngest in the league and guys will improve. If we can add a forward and upgrade goalie, next year can be better. Then guys in the system will also start to add in. So fixing goal could easily be the last piece of the puzzle.

The problem is no obvious answer in the the system right now means Francis really has to find an upgrade for starting goalie. Which one of these two to keep? Does it really matter? Outside of Cam's preternatural ability to make coaches think he's a true #1, I'd keep him probably, but only if it is clear that he's the backup.

Seems like the expansion draft ought to create something.

Edited by remkin

2 hours ago, remkin said:

The problem is no obvious answer in the the system right now means Francis really has to find an upgrade for starting goalie. Which one of these two to keep? Does it really matter? Outside of Cam's preternatural ability to make coaches think he's a true #1, I'd keep him probably, but only if it is clear that he's the backup.

An what does that do to October?   I'm just sayin' it seems like Cameron is one of the factors to slow starts.

2 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

An what does that do to October?   I'm just sayin' it seems like Cameron is one of the factors to slow starts.

Lack hasn't started great either though. Unless there is a plan to jettison both guys. For me there isn't much difference between Lack and Ward as back up really.

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

Lack hasn't started great either though. Unless there is a plan to jettison both guys. For me there isn't much difference between Lack and Ward as back up really.

The only real difference i see isn't in their abilities, but the way the organization looks at them.  Ward and the 'starting goaltender' tag might be comparable to Eric and the captaincy.  The organization couldn't see its way fit to keep Eric around but stripping him of the C (not saying i wanted them to, just saying it was never going to happen), and i'm not sure it can see its way to making Ward a backup.  Yes, i know starting goaltenders fall back to being backups at the end of their careers all the time, but i just can't see Peters (like every coach before him) doing it to Cam.  I kind of feel like a fresh start is needed, and as long as Ward's in the room, it isn't going to happen.  Same as when Eric was in the room.

I agree with that realm. I posted it in my post as well as my first post on here, and somewhere else. That is a legit issue.

Just not sure what the deal has been with Lack and Peters though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

The only real difference i see isn't in their abilities, but the way the organization looks at them.  Ward and the 'starting goaltender' tag might be comparable to Eric and the captaincy.  The organization couldn't see its way fit to keep Eric around but stripping him of the C (not saying i wanted them to, just saying it was never going to happen), and i'm not sure it can see its way to making Ward a backup.  Yes, i know starting goaltenders fall back to being backups at the end of their careers all the time, but i just can't see Peters (like every coach before him) doing it to Cam.  I kind of feel like a fresh start is needed, and as long as Ward's in the room, it isn't going to happen.  Same as when Eric was in the room.

I don't see the situations with Ward and E. being comparable, maybe because of when Ward was reported as willing to waive his NTC when he didn't have to, indicating a willingness to sacrifice for the team.  If we get a true #1 in here I'm not worried about Peters not going with him; I just think he didn't have a real alternative to Ward in the past. 

Which leaves the ball in RFs court.  I believe he looked at bringing in someone new this past offseason but can understand why he didn't. Either prohibitive cost ($ and/or assets) or uncertainty in the potential candidates given the inherent variability in all but elite goalies.  So while I was hoping he'd make a move, I can understand why he thought it made the most sense to roll the dice with Ward/ Lack this season.  But it didn't work and RF isn't an idiot; he's got to know that he has to fix the goalie situation this offseason. 

I probably stay with Ward as the backup. Not sure what Lack did to incur Peter's wrath, but it sure seems like it was more than just performance related.  Canes are so young I think I default to maturity and leadership given that I don't see either as a #1 at this point. 

Edited by LakeLivin

On 4/4/2017 at 10:15 AM, hag65 said:

I finally figured it out.  I protect neither.  I trade for someone who is likely going to be a high risk to be expansion drafted, either a solid veteran or high potential backup, and I protect the new guy, and if Vegas wants one of these guys so be it.  

Yep.

• Like 1