The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
legend-1

NHL will not participate in 2018 Olympics

Cool by me.  Now if they'll pass a new ordinance saying they're not participating in other international competitions as well so coaches won't have the temptations to be away from their NHL teams at the start of camp, i'd be good with that too.

This will be interesting to watch. Some European players have said they intend to skate for their country in the Olympics no matter what the decision. How does the team or the league respond to a player who bolts for 17 days.

16 hours ago, OBXer said:

This will be interesting to watch. Some European players have said they intend to skate for their country in the Olympics no matter what the decision. How does the team or the league respond to a player who bolts for 17 days.

I think that'll depend on the individual clubs as far as if they let them go or not.

Ovechkin and I think Malkin have both said publicly that they both plan on playing for the Russian team and I believe that their teams have given them the ok to do so.

19 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

I think that'll depend on the individual clubs as far as if they let them go or not.

Ovechkin and I think Malkin have both said publicly that they both plan on playing for the Russian team and I believe that their teams have given them the ok to do so.

I wonder how that is going to work with callups, waivers, etc

This could get very interesting.

TSN  asks - How the NHL can prevent players from going to Olympics by Frank Seravalli

I thought I was in the minority in my lack of caring much about this issue. That the huge gap in the NHL schedule, pushing the SCF into the dead of summer, and the risk of injury to star players, was too much disruption to NHL hockey to be worth catching a few games at whatever weird time they aired them or tape delayed them for me. Then I saw that there was a poll and 75% of  American NHL fans agreed that the break was too long to be worth it. Interestingly, the Canadians were only about 50-50, but they have way more national pride tied up in hockey than we do.

I know, best on best, is cool, but I bet the NHL is going to go all in on their World Cup thing. Also, I'll be kind of interested to see some version of what type of teams do go. Can AHL players go? I assume college players can go. There will still be hockey.

Edited by remkin

From ESPN: http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/20275821/minor-leaguers-nhl-contracts-go-oiympics

Players with NHL contracts, even those in the minors, will not be allowed to participate in the Winter Olympics next February.  NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed to The Associated Press on Monday that all players under contract will be treated the same.

The league announced in April it wouldn't be stopping its season to go to the Olympics for the first time since 1994, but questions had remained about players in the American Hockey League and ECHL.

This means players signed to two-way NHL contracts or who are loaned to minor league affiliates by their clubs won't be available to the United States, Canada or other national teams.

Edited by LakeLivin

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Move ice hockey to the Summer Olympics.  I know it's a winter sport, but it solves the problem.

Exactly.  And why not?  Logistically they have to build all these arenas for other sports.  I'm guessing Ice Hockey can fit in there.  Just look at the way PNC can switch over the arena from hockey to basketball, for example.

Maybe move field hockey to winter.  Might make that dreadful* sport more interesting if it is snowing or icy. :)

* - any sport with an implement (stick, racket, etc.) that works against you is dreadful.  Any sport requiring you to unnaturally bend down awkwardly to score is dreadful.  I may hate soccer, but at least it retains natural scoring motions.

Edited by wxray1

We're there any penalties announced for players (or their clubs) who will still participate? If Ovi makes deal with Caps GM to go to the Olympics what will NHL do?

5 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Move ice hockey to the Summer Olympics.  I know it's a winter sport, but it solves the problem.

Basketball is in the Summer Olympics and the NBA pretty much shares the same exact season as the NHL, right?  If they can have one in the summer, i don't see why they can't have the other there as well.  And of course the World Cup blah blah is already done during the summer, yes?

1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

We're there any penalties announced for players (or their clubs) who will still participate? If Ovi makes deal with Caps GM to go to the Olympics what will NHL do?

Listening to XM today this was raised, and the answer was that it had not been revealed what the penalty would be, but Ovi had toned down his "I'm going no matter what" rhetoric. Let Ovi go play with a bunch of KHL players against our college guys....do you believe in miracles? 

Edited by remkin

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

The Olympics are boring, glad they are not going.

Hockey is about the only Olympic event I watch in either games...other than occasionally figure skating just to watch them go splat!

8 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I may hate soccer, but at least it retains natural scoring motions.

Not to mention Sidney Crosby level diving techniques and Academy Award winning acting!

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Hockey is about the only Olympic event I watch in either games...other than occasionally figure skating just to watch them go splat!

I loved the Olympics growing up but at some point it got meh. I would support just going back to amateur participation only but that won't happen because now the Olympics, like everything else, has to make a bunch of bucks to fund itself and pad sponsors pockets.  Adding the pros just muddled everything up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I loved the Olympics growing up but at some point it got meh. I would support just going back to amateur participation only but that won't happen because now the Olympics, like everything else, has to make a bunch of bucks to fund itself and pad sponsors pockets.  Adding the pros just muddled everything up.

Miracle can't be beat.  We'll never have that David vs Goliath story again.  I mean, even when it was happening people didn't understand it.  Only on reflection is it apparent what was accomplished.

Now it's just another international tourney where our guys could get hurt.

I wonder what role the internet has played in ruining the excitement of these games? The games could be aired at specific times without the score being ruined that had to have got more fans involved. Now you get home, you know the score, couldn't watch it because you were at work and you didn't spend any time being captivated by the games to generate any excitement.

In 1980, I was 16 years old, and I remember watching the Miracle on Ice like it was yesterday.  That event is burned into my memories forever.  Funny thing is that I don't even recall the gold medal game. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

In 1980, I was 16 years old, and I remember watching the Miracle on Ice like it was yesterday.  That event is burned into my memories forever.  Funny thing is that I don't even recall the gold medal game. 

I too remember everything about this game, right down to my mom and I screaming and dad sleeping on the couch through it (I still want to punch him).

That game sold me on hockey forever.  I was only 14 years old though, old man.

• Like 1