• Announcements

• OBXer

Use email to sign-on   11/17/2016

If your email doesn't work for sign-on use contact us link at the bottom of the page to send us a message
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OBXer

Stanley Cup Discussion

48 posts in this topic

A place for Stanley Cup Discussion.

Contest coming soon!

If the B's win their last two games, even if they end up in the second wild card slot, they are going to be VERY dangerous in the playoffs.

One thing is certain, Washington will NOT win the Cup.

I'm thinking as long as Ovi is on the Caps it's a given their gonna choke when the going gets tough.

Hag, there are three certainties in life:
1. Death

2. Taxes

3. Washington doesn't make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:10 PM, AWACSooner said:

If the B's win their last two games, even if they end up in the second wild card slot, they are going to be VERY dangerous in the playoffs.

One thing is certain, Washington will NOT win the Cup.

crapitals double jinxed themselves with winning the presidents cup..:)

I'd actually have picked Toronto to take out Washington in the first round...before Andersen got hurt.  Right now, I think Craps take them in 5.

B's will take out Ottawa...probably in 6.  BJ's get swept by Icebirds (and somehow Cindy commits another thug play and doesn't get punished).  Rags vs. Habs really has me intrigued...I think that one goes the distance before the Rags prevail.

The west is a real bloodbath in the making, I see all the series going to at least 6, with most going to 7.  Wild, Ducks, Sharks and Preds (in my upset pick of the playoffs) win.

I dunno what the NHL was thinking when they smoked up this playoff format, not once has the teams fallen in a way that says this format makes sense.

It's a freakin travesty one of the Pens or Jackets will be eliminated this round and a joke that one of the B's/Sen's will move onto the 2nd when they both would likely lose in round 1 in the old format.

At least the West isn't too bad off those matchups aren't eye popping like the East.

Edited by legend-1

BJ's are really stinking it up recently, and I think rode into the playoffs on the back of their insanely long winning streak in Dec-Jan...the B's are really coming on strong recently and I think will make some serious waves in the East, so long as they get their D-men healthy...even if they had ended up in the 2nd wild card slot, I would have liked their chances against the Craps.

I'll go out on the limb for the Leafs against the Caps. The Leafs have a factor that most have ignored, their coach. Babcock has been there, done that. 

On 4/10/2017 at 7:26 AM, legend-1 said:

I dunno what the NHL was thinking when they smoked up this playoff format, not once has the teams fallen in a way that says this format makes sense.

It's a freakin travesty one of the Pens or Jackets will be eliminated this round and a joke that one of the B's/Sen's will move onto the 2nd when they both would likely lose in round 1 in the old format.

At least the West isn't too bad off those matchups aren't eye popping like the East.

I seem to remember that Edmonton was the eighth place team in 06. Still have to win 16.

Edited by winger52

25 minutes ago, winger52 said:

I seem to remember that Edmonton was the eighth place team in 06. Still have to win 16.

At least they beat the best of the best each round as they should to get there. Not playing the frickin (old format) 4th seed in round 1. 

Edited by legend-1

Leafs up on Caps 2-0 in the first 10 minutes. I'll bet the pucker factor went to an eleven .

It's playoff hockey, baby

werenski.jpg

In any other sport, this gets a player a month off.  In hockey, a couple of shifts while they stitch you up and find you another nose.

Edited by super_dave_1

5 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

It's playoff hockey, baby

werenski.jpg

In any other sport, this gets a player a month off.  In hockey, a couple of shifts while they stitch you up and find you another nose.

That's Hockey BABY!!! Reminds me of Jeff O'Neill back in 2002.

Too bad Werenski didn't finish the game. Said his eye closed shut. But still. Pretty gutsy for a young rookie to come back out and finish the 2nd period.

Edited by hopper915

1 hour ago, hopper915 said:

Too bad Werenski didn't finish the game. Said his eye closed shut. But still. Pretty gutsy for a young rookie to come back out and finish the 2nd period.

He's out for good.  It was gutsy, but there are limits.  He broke a facial bone, and I'm not surprised.  Orbital fractures usually mean surgery.  And if not, it is still serious enough to not play, despite your body armor, until healed.  I was shocked to see him come back after seeing the force of the hit and subsequent blood from the laceration.   Wow, that is gutsy.

Werenski out:  https://www.nhl.com/news/zach-werenski-of-columbus-out-for-playoffs/c-288863098?tid=287343212

It doesn't surprise me at all that he's done.  Hockey players are a tough breed though.

I'm sure that the ghost of playoffs past is visiting the Caps locker room.

That bracket that has Was, Pit, Col, and Tor is rough.  The teams in that bracket have 432 total points to the other east bracket at 398.  An average of about 10 standings points per team.  While Boston and Ottawa finished ahead of Toronto, I'd rather face one of those teams than Toronto.  Washington should be able to handle them, but Toronto is a young and dangerous team.  Think the Canes would have been an easy out if they had snuck in?  Young and bullet proof is tough to beat at times.

Edited by super_dave_1

Absolutely LOVING the fact the Hawks are in an 0-3 hole...and the Craps are down (but I still think they'll rip off the next 3 to win)...just wish the B's would control their emotions and stop taking stupid penalties that are costing them games.

Seriously, who saw both Chicago and Calgary being down 3-0?

I agree until the Leafs win I'm still gonna think the Caps will come back, I see the Caps eventually choking but not to the Leafs.

Agree with Legend the playoff format has sucked for the last few years. You usually get two legit Cup contenders playing each other in the semi's instead of the final.  Go back to the old days 1 v 8, 2 v 7, 3 v 6 etc. Then upsets are really upsets.  Don't follow the West a whole lot but Preds have the Hawks by the short and curly's. 2 goals in 3 games for the Hawks? Wow. Go Lavvy go.  Leafs are the most dangerous team at the moment, beating the Caps without any contribution by Mathews. If he picks up where he left off Leafs could go deep.

Disagree with all the Ovi naysayers. Who wouldn't want him? Plays as tough a he-man game as any NHL forward and can score alot of goals. Not one forward on the Canes roster is qualified to hold his jock strap.

1 minute ago, raleighcaniac said:

Disagree with all the Ovi naysayers. Who wouldn't want him? Plays as tough a he-man game as any NHL forward and can score alot of goals.

I'll take one