• Announcements

• OBXer

Use email to sign-on   11/17/2016

If your email doesn't work for sign-on use contact us link at the bottom of the page to send us a message
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OBXer

Stanley Cup Discussion

48 posts in this topic

I don't doubt he scores a ton of goals, I doubt he can figure out how to win a cup. I'd absolutely take him because I'd love to watch him keep trying in Carolina and I would be completely fine with choking given the option of not even making it.

Personally I've watched him in the playoffs I'm not even entirely sure what he could do differently to get a cup. It's not from lack of effort.

2 people like this

On 4/18/2017 at 11:06 AM, raleighcaniac said:

Not one forward on the Canes roster is qualified to hold his jock strap.

Why would anyone on the Canes strive to that goal?

1 hour ago, winger52 said:

Why would anyone on the Canes strive to that goal?

met·a·phor
ˈmedəˌfôr,ˈmedəˌfər/
noun
noun: metaphor; plural noun: metaphors
  1. a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

Ovi 2017 playoffs: 4 games 3 goals....No-one on the Canes is close...wait one, aren't they already on the golf course?
Edited by raleighcaniac

Speaking of choking, Chicago just went into the history books of all sports for whatever the hell that was lol.

First #1 seed in all pro sports to be swept by the #8 seed. 

And to think I called the Preds over the Hawks in 7...oops.  Still...BWAHAHAAAA!

That's one Evil Empire down.  Hopefully, the Habs and Craps also lose this round, then the Pens get bounced in the 2nd round.  Then all will be right with the hockey world.

Didn't see the Hawks getting swept (or even bounced in the 1st round).

Oh well, that's why they play the games.

59 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Didn't see the Hawks getting swept (or even bounced in the 1st round).

Oh well, that's why they play the games.

When the Lav gets the guys doing his pressure system right its a wonderful thing.

21 minutes ago, hag65 said:

When the Lav gets the guys doing his pressure system right its a wonderful thing.

Too bad we've never had a coach that could do that

1 person likes this

On 4/20/2017 at 9:53 AM, raleighcaniac said:

met·a·phor
ˈmedəˌfôr,ˈmedəˌfər/
noun
noun: metaphor; plural noun: metaphors
  1. a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

Ovi 2017 playoffs: 4 games 3 goals....No-one on the Canes is close...wait one, aren't they already on the golf course?

Well I guess I should have put up an emoji to clue you into the meaning of my statement. Look up in the dictionary ... Joke.... Humor.... 

Edited by winger52

4 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Too bad we've never had a coach that could do that

We did but JR had to get into a measuring contest and all of a sudden Lavi was no longer here.

Lavi's system was producing a baffling amount of odd man breaks and breakaways for the wrong team. I would be full of crap if I said I wasn't ready to move on at the time. Brindy hating the guys guts certainly didn't help things, Brindy was more loved then Lavi, though it was a close 2nd. 

I don't watch him enough to know if better personnel fixed that or if it's still a trait of his coaching.

Edited by legend-1

Eric just got tripped up by a Blues player and went head first into the corner boards...he's being helped off the ice, and it doessn't look good...probably done for the playoffs.

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Eric just got tripped up by a Blues player and went head first into the corner boards...he's being helped off the ice, and it doessn't look good...probably done for the playoffs.

He was clipped by goalie's Jake Allen's right leg, sending him head first into the boards. Went to the hospital for observation.

https://www.nhl.com/news/minnesotas-eric-staal-injured-vs-blues/c-289026038?tid=287344934

Edited by hopper915

I feel bad about the E. Staal incident.  I was watching the game and Mrs. Wxray walks in after being away all day, and I say: "You should have seen the second Blues goal.  Typical Staal, a lazy reach and hook to defend a player, resulting in a goal against."  10 seconds later in the conversation, he has this great chance, with real speed and incredible effort, and then the crash.

Seriously, I felt bad.  He was putting it all out there on that play. 

He's out of the hospital.  Let's hope it is an Eddie lack situation and turns out to be nothing.  I have to say, looking at him as they were walking him off the ice, he looked absolutely terrible.  It looked like his world was spinning.

And yeah, he's out of the playoffs because MIN lost in OT.  Series over.

Edited by wxray1

leo-toast-9.w529.h352.gif

Cheers to the NHL for a playoff format that has the 2 teams with the best regular season records meeting in the 2nd round.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

Cheers to the NHL for a playoff format that has the 2 teams with the best regular season records meeting in the 2nd round.

They're both evil empires and I loathe them equally...here's hoping Malkin and Ovi drop gloves and knock each other out of the playoffs in the first game.

That being said, Pens in 6, because there's three constants in the universe:
1. Death

2. Taxes

3. Washington doesn't get past the second round of the playoffs

23 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

They're both evil empires and I loathe them equally...here's hoping Malkin and Ovi drop gloves and knock each other out of the playoffs in the first game.

That being said, Pens in 6, because there's three constants in the universe:
1. Death

2. Taxes

3. Washington doesn't get past the second round of the playoffs

I don't know AWAC, it feels different this year. Holtby is better than both Pens' keepers put together, and the way the Caps came back to beat Toronto in their barn to win the series, and the way Ovi's (and Oshie's, and Williams') clock is ticking...

I have no investment either way, other than being raised in Philly and being aware of that other universal constant: PITTSBURGH %$#@*&^ SUCKS.(Yeah... no investment at all!)

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I don't know AWAC, it feels different this year. Holtby is better than both Pens' keepers put together, and the way the Caps came back to beat Toronto in their barn to win the series, and the way Ovi's (and Oshie's, and Williams') clock is ticking...

I have no investment either way, other than being raised in Philly and being aware of that other universal constant: PITTSBURGH %$#@*&^ SUCKS.(Yeah... no investment at all!)

Nah...Rangers will take care of the Pens in the ECF

Watching the playoffs has been fun.  We are seeing a certain changing of the guard.  I would like the Canes to be part of this change.  RF has to do something, however, to make it happen.

Yesterday's Leafs-Capitals game was really interesting.  The "gift" that Matthews potted was a thing of beauty.  This kid has Hands Of Gold.  The puck on his stick is like a hand in a glove.  Just amazing.  I couldn't help but think about our Cane's fowards, and what they may do with that gift.  All I could visualize was a weak slap at the five hole, or maybe a valiant attempt to put it right on Holtby's crest.

Amazing how one player can change the moxy of a team. Although Mathews was a little slow to start in the playoffs he came on huge not to mention his 40 goal rookie season that gave life to a Leaf program; although his supporting cast is also big time legit. He handles the fishbowl pressure in Toronto incredibly well.  Connor McAllthat has given the Oilers the mojo to compete where no other first rounders could and wins the Art Ross in his second season (and only his first full season). He carries himself like he's been in the pro's for 5+ years.

In any of these past two years/drafts people would be talking about Jack Eichal but he just isn't in the same conversation as these other two and yet he's the real deal too. I think its within bounds to think about Aho as being at the Eichal level but he just came into the league in a more quiet way like Sareela might do.

I guess it won't mean much if we don't secure a Keeper however.