The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Draisaitl's -12 career plus minus should be a red alert, shouldn't it?

I know what you're getting at, but no... not to me anyway.  -17 in his rookie season was very concerning, but so were his 9 points in 37 games.  By his second season he was the team's second-leading scorer and his +/- was -2 on a team with only 5 + players and 8 guys in double-digit negatives.  This season he had the 6th-best +/- on his team and was again second in scoring.  Call me when he's bottom 3 on his team for 3 years running and we'll talk.

If anyone was watching Senators/Rangers game last night Viktor Stalberg was the man. He finished out the last minute of the game with the Rangers on a 6-4 PP. He blocked a couple shots, got his stick on a cross ice pass to mess up a one-timer. Played really well.  Good for him to be in the playoff hunt and contributing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Draisaitl's -12 career plus minus should be a red alert, shouldn't it?

Well, this season, Draisaitl was a +7 while Faulk was a -18.  Now I'm no rocket surgeon, but if we traded Faulk for Drai, that's a net gain of 25 goals.   Isn't that how +/- works?

38 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Well, this season, Draisaitl was a +7 while Faulk was a -18.  Now I'm no rocket surgeon, but if we traded Faulk for Drai, that's a net gain of 25 goals.   Isn't that how +/- works?

I'm no brain scientist, but count me in! :lol:

6 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Draisaitl has 9 letters in his name and Faulk has only 5 so that's +4 right there.

The hurricanes just got Scott Darling for a third rounder! A wine and dine hope you sign.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 2

I hope he is ready for prime time.  History has shown that when we take this route it never works out.  Here is to hoping that the 3rd time is a charm.  Good trade.  ACTUALLY no it isn't.   A 3rd rounder for the rights to an FA that has yet to prove himself?  I'M confused. 

Edited by bluedevil58

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I am very concerned if this is our starter.

Let's wait and see after training camp, preseason, and maybe a couple of game starts. Too early to start pissing about the guy.

A great deal and we lost no assets of substance that would deter us from going and getting a 1st liner. Huge potential with this guy and he's been putting up .915 or better for 3 seasons now. He was going to be a starter somewhere next year and I'm glad it'll likely be here.

4 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

A great deal and we lost no assets of substance that would deter us from going and getting a 1st liner. Huge potential with this guy and he's been putting up .915 or better for 3 seasons now. He was going to be a starter somewhere next year and I'm glad it'll likely be here.

Forgive my arrogance but is 28 considered young for an NHL goalie?

Darling, 28, had a career-best 18 wins with a 2.38 goals-against average in 32 games, helping the Blackhawks post the best record in the Western Conference. His .924 save percentage tied for fourth among goalies with more than 25 starts.

With Cam Ward and Eddie Lack in net, the Hurricanes ranked 18th in the league, allowing 2.8 goals per game, while facing the fifth-fewest shots on goal.

4th vrs 18th.... I wouldnt care if the guy was 92 yrs olds

3 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Darling, 28, had a career-best 18 wins with a 2.38 goals-against average in 32 games, helping the Blackhawks post the best record in the Western Conference. His .924 save percentage tied for fourth among goalies with more than 25 starts.

With Cam Ward and Eddie Lack in net, the Hurricanes ranked 18th in the league, allowing 2.8 goals per game, while facing the fifth-fewest shots on goal.

4th vrs 18th.... I wouldnt care if the guy was 92 yrs olds

He did this with the Hawks though.  I hope he works out.  The dude is freaking HUGE.

This is an excellent move if they can sign him to a contract. His contract with the Blackhawks paid him 2 yr/$1.175 mil. Average of $587k.

So a contract in the $2-3mil range would be a good range.

OK so I was mowing the lawn when this broke, so had to be sure. This just buys us the right to negotiate with him ahead of UFA. It does not mean he's our goalie. So, after that let down, I still think this is still a potentially brilliant move.

It cost us Ottawa's third rounder, which is a late third rounder, possibly very late, so we're not giving up much to have a shot at signing him.

This move often does not work out, as guys end up wanting to go to UFA, but I think Francis can make this work.

First. Commit to him as our #1. He's starts the year as the clear #1.

Second. Let him and his agent do their best due diligence and come up with their best assessment of what he'll get as a UFA, and we do too. 

Third, agree to overpay him, and even overterm him, but no NTC. (or give a limited NTC).

Fourth, show the numbers on our young defense and PK. This is not your uncles Cane's defense. Francis can directly point out that with Darling's save percentage this team nearly or does make the playoffs. But this is also the youngest team in the league. Specifically Hanifin was a beast in the back end, Darling may not know that. He will have a good and ever-improving D in front of him.

Fifth, share the plan. "Scott, not only is this team an instant playoff team with you on it, but I am not even close to done this offseason. I'm going to make a serious run at TJ Oshie, and I'm working a trade for G. Landeskog. Put that with our prospects and cap space, and I have only begun. We will be a cup contender for years to come, and we want you to be a part of it."

On top of all that, you will be a hero here as a major part of the future winning, and the first really solid goalie since 2009. This is the perfect time for a goalie to come to Carolina, the young defense just getting better, a team with a great future, and a team in dire need of a good goalie.

Let's get this done so I can start getting the other guys in here!

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

With Ward's NTC we can sign darling now and protect him.  Interesting to see what we sign him for.  He has put up good numbers that is starting salary worthy but never had to be that guy.  

Send Bickell, TT, and Nordstrom over to help sell Darling on the Canes.  Even though Bickell's time with the Canes was exceptionally brief, I suspect he'd be a good ambassador when it comes to selling the organization.

Yea I guess I overlooked he could decide to not sign with us and frankly I wouldn't be surprised but for a 3rd rounder just to get the edge on talking to him it's worth it.

The world is his oyster, alot of teams will want him and he'll have to be overpaid to ensure he stays likely. 

According to both Francis and Brind'amour, this organization does have a very good reputation around the league for treating players well. Hopefully that pays off here also. Now that I think of it Darling could have a say in the goalie coach too maybe.

I get that the sample size is small and that I guess this means that the Hawks are making a choice to stick with Crawford, and gave him more starts than Darling, so by extension liked Crawford better, though Crawford had a 10 team modified NTC which also makes him harder to trade, but anyways, Darling has put up a pretty good body of work including .936 in 5 playoff games.

I wonder what it takes to sign him.