The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

If Francis can solve either the goalie or forward situation in UFA, just that much more dry powder for future moves. Maybe do both in UFA, keep everyone, trade up in the draft.

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

If Francis can solve either the goalie or forward situation in UFA, just that much more dry powder for future moves. Maybe do both in UFA, keep everyone, trade up in the draft.

Yes, yes you want us to trade up in the draft.

11 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Yes, yes you want us to trade up in the draft.

Had I mentioned that?

Just sayin' if we sign Darling and Oshie, might as well put all those picks to work somehow.

Yes, its still a dream, but Darling and Oshie would instantly solve our needs this year. But we still have 3 second rounders and two third rounders. If we don't need to really trade for anyone, might as well move up, grab an elite forward, then just sit back and watch our prospects push up. Just think of the options to pick and choose as they develop.

Edited by remkin

The Hurricanes could have chosen to keep Darling in their organization, but apparently he didn’t make a huge first impression during this opportunity:

Fun fact: Scott Darling signed a PTO with the Checkers a few years back. Came up from the SPHL, backed up for one weekend, went back.

Also:
Chicago Tribune quotes a source estimating $3-4 million/year for Darling. Heck, we pay below average goalies that. I say we end up signing him.
Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

The real question is who is moving out, Ward or Lack? The majority seems to think Lack.. however.. anything is possible!

Also, he isn't a bona fide #1. But he is one of the few goaltenders available who shows signs of becoming one in the next year or so. Very excited about this trade, I low-key was really hoping we snagged Darling. And we did. I have little doubt that we sign him to a decent 3-5 year contract depending on the cap hit (also guessing around 3-4 million as has been suggested). Moving one of Lack or Ward also kinda cancels out any $ against the cap. So we still got tons of room.

Mainly super excited to have a 'Canes jersey with Darling on the back. :P

The steady trickle of Blackhawks continue to make their way to Raleigh. I've watched Darling's progression over the last few years and this is a huge acquisition. 

SP, I too am doing a happy dance over this, and shared over on the "goalie thread" these sentiments. What I'm not understanding is the reservations being expressed by some at the signing, because of the continuous banter I've read, some mentioning Darling, on these sites. And I believe the most encouraging thing about the signing is, it is a signal that we(RF) are potentially seeing an End of the Stanley Cup Chapter?

Edited by KJUNKANE

I hope it all works out. Darling was a phenomenal backup to Crawford in Chicago, and had very high success during stretches where he (Darling) started. Hawks would probably have not won the Cup in 2015 without Scott's great play, so that speaks to the quality of a goalie with recent postseason success.

Works out for both teams...Darling had made his intentions known he wanted to be a starter, in which that notion is well-deserved. He earned that right. Instead of losing him for nothing as he is an UFA, Chicago re-captures a third round pick from last season's Thomas Jurco deal.

The Canes get a crack at a quality netminder in Darling which was obviously a serious agenda item to address for RF. What that means for Lack and Wardo will be interesting to see.

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, remkin said:

According to both Francis and Brind'amour, this organization does have a very good reputation around the league for treating players well. Hopefully that pays off here also.

Yah...because in the past, JR signed folks to albatross contracts with NMC's galore...and then the players never performed up to the level of the contracts and pocketed the $$.

I was hoping for this move.  Now RF just has to finish it.

I think the biggest unknown is how well he can handle a #1 grind.   I'm less worried about the "oh his numbers are good because look at the team he played on" problem, simply because the Cane's defense is up and coming.

As for coming here... Who knows?  His dream was to play in Chicago.  Despite his birthplace, he's a Chicago area boy.  Everyone knows Bowman's cap issues, so it shouldn't be a surprise he was picked as one of the sacrifices.  That Chicago-team dream is fulfilled and done, time to look to the next dream.  Let's hope it is to help rebuild a team.

Darling's trip to the NHL was rough.  He's had to overcome a lot of personal adversity.  He knows the South, having played in lower leagues including the SPHL.  The Canes have a lot of character guys that I'm sure would also support him.  Here's to hoping. 

I was in Chicago a lot in 2014 and heard a few interviews with him.  I was really impressed.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/after-overcoming-his-demons-scott-darling-wants-to-make-his-mark-on-the-nhl

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

I wonder if we sign him to a short deal.  2 years maybe 3, allow him to see how he does as a starter. The deal may be lower in money like 3.5 million or so.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I was hoping for this move.  Now RF just has to finish it.

I think the biggest unknown is how well he can handle a #1 grind.   I'm less worried about the "oh his numbers are good because look at the team he played on" problem, simply because the Cane's defense is up and coming.

As for coming here... Who knows?  His dream was to play in Chicago.  Despite his birthplace, he's a Chicago area boy.  Everyone knows Bowman's cap issues, so it shouldn't be a surprise he was picked as one of the sacrifices.  That Chicago-team dream is fulfilled and done, time to look to the next dream.  Let's hope it is to help rebuild a team.

Darling's trip to the NHL was rough.  He's had to overcome a lot of personal adversity.  He knows the South, having played in lower leagues including the SPHL.  The Canes have a lot of character guys that I'm sure would also support him.  Here's to hoping. 

I was in Chicago a lot in 2014 and heard a few interviews with him.  I was really impressed.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/after-overcoming-his-demons-scott-darling-wants-to-make-his-mark-on-the-nhl

Don't worry, as a Chicago native that now considers NC home and rooted with the Canes, I'll personally chat with Scott and make sure he stays with Canes for a long time LOL ???

I don't want to splash any cold water on this, because I am very optimistic, but just to be clear, he's not signed yet, and the last few guys I can remember this happening to did not sign and just waited for UFA. We have to make him a compelling offer. Now we really ought to be able to, because as I've suggested in the past, we really have only two major, relatively expensive needs, and a ton of cap space. Fill them and we are there. Thus overpaying makes sense.  Plus if Darling wants to be a #1 his options are more limited anyway.

On a just wondering note, I wonder if moving Cam out would signal to Darling that he is the man more than moving Lack out.

Edited by remkin

On another note, I heard it mused on XM that the Lightning probably can't keep both Tyler Johnson and Johnathan Drouin.

30 minutes ago, remkin said:

I don't want to splash any cold water on this, because I am very optimistic, but just to be clear, he's not signed yet, and the last few guys I can remember this happening to did not sign and just waited for UFA. We have to make him a compelling offer. Now we really ought to be able to, because as I've suggested in the past, we really have only two major, relatively expensive needs, and a ton of cap space. Fill them and we are there. Thus overpaying makes sense.  Plus if Darling wants to be a #1 his options are more limited anyway.

On a just wondering note, I wonder if moving Cam out would signal to Darling that he is the man more than moving Lack out.

As long as Cam remains, i question whether even Carey Price himself would be guaranteed a starting role here.  Can Cam coach?  Give him Marcoux' role and move on.  But however it happens, i really don't want to see Cam as our starting goaltender next season.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

....On a just wondering note, I wonder if moving Cam out would signal to Darling that he is the man more than moving Lack out.

I doubt we can sign Darling unless he's told you're the #1 up front.  I'd keep Cam over Lacko since he's an experienced #1 as insurance, unless there is an even better option available.

Chip sent out so many tweets yesterday I wondered if he was running for office :o

Chip Alexander @ice_chip

15 hours ago

Francis said no decisions yet on assistant coaches. Said Peters still in discussions with Brind'Amour, Smith. No decision on new g-t coach.

15 hours ago

Asked Francis if Darling is signed, what that would mean for Ward or Lack. "Good question." Said would not answer at this point.

15 hours ago

Francis now has talked to Darling, noting, "He said he was genuinely excited about the opportunity." Will talk to agent next week.

Darling is as good as we were gonna do. i'm excited for a new #1.  his numbers are outstanding.  He wants to be a starter bad.  Seems like a good fit here in Carolina.  I would think there is a private conversation between RF and Darling that goes something like this "If I give up a draft pick for your rights, do you have an interest in being our man here or are you looking for a big market"?  "No sir, I would love to be a number one in Carolina and make millions of dollars"  "I love that area sir".   I have a good feeling about this guy, next year is our year.  RF found us the best possible option out there for a new number one.  hell yeah. And if he goes somewhere else than i would have to lose a little negotiating respect for RF.  This seems like its all but sealed. 

I really think this is a golden opportunity for Darling. If I were him, I'd get the salary and term as high as Francis will go, and then take it.

It's not just money. In past years, Carolina was a pretty bad idea for your career if you were a goalie. Lots of odd man rushes and point blank shots behind a porous defense tended to make you look bad even for your next contract.

But Darling is set up to come in at the perfect time. Our defense is underrated. I think of Hanfin as prime example #1. Much of the past two years he was high on talent, but still prone to mistakes. But since being elevated to middle pair he has found a new level. This will just continue to improve. We already have a powerhouse shut down pair. And when fully manned, we have a league leading PK even with previously shaky goaltending. The shots against numbers are much better than our goals against.

After years of bad goaltending, even slightly above average goaltending will seem All Star.

And there is pretty good indirect evidence that even average #1 goaltending would have put our defense in the top half last year.

Add to that the improving young team and the other big move Francis is going to make this year, and the D picks in the pipeline and this is going to be a good team for a long time.

Darling has the opportunity to come in right as this team is taking off, and be credited with a lot of the success.

This is a great career move.

From Spector's Hockey:

It could cost the Hurricanes over $4 million annually on a five-year deal to sign Darling.

I like the move but I hope we can get Darling signed for either less $ or a shorter term, if not both. 

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

From Spector's Hockey:

It could cost the Hurricanes over $4 million annually on a five-year deal to sign Darling.

I like the move but I hope we can get Darling signed for either less $ or a shorter term, if not both. 

We lose at least one of Lack or Ward at $3 million. So for one lousy million, we go from last to top 10 in goalie. Not sure there could be better money spent.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

We lose at least one of Lack or Ward at $3 million. So for one lousy million, we go from last to top 10 in goalie. Not sure there could be better money spent.

It's more getting locked into such a long term for me given that we know that even promising young goalies have proven to be somewhat hit and miss until they've demonstrated long term NHL success.  I'd rather go with more $ and shorter term until we know for sure Darling is a true NHL #1.  That would open us to the possibility that it could cost us more down the road if he does work out, but the position is so variable I'd take that chance. 

All of which is not to say I don't like the move.  Luke DeCock summed it up nicely, imo:

"Maybe they'll get him signed. Maybe he's the long-term answer in goal. And maybe they won't and maybe he's not. But after two years of stagnation in net, any movement is welcome movement for the Hurricanes. It's a worthwhile gamble at the least. And if Darling does turn out to be the answer in goal, a third-round pick in a year the Hurricanes have a surplus of them won't be missed in the slightest."

9 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

It's more getting locked into such a long term for me given that we know that even promising young goalies have proven to be somewhat hit and miss until they've demonstrated long term NHL success.  I'd rather go with more $ and shorter term until we know for sure Darling is a true NHL #1.  That would open us to the possibility that it could cost us more down the road if he does work out, but the position is so variable I'd take that chance. 

No, I get it. Don't want to be stuck with another bad salary long term. Small sample size and all, but we paid Cam $6 million/year forever back when that would be about $7 million now, and a full NTC. $4 million/5 years does carry the risk that Darling might not be great, but would also be a bargain if he is what he seems to be. But say we keep Cam. Well right now we have $6 million/year tied up in Eddie and Cam and we get bottom of the barrel goaltending. This would be $7 million/year and playoffs probably. Further, the following year Cam comes off. If Ned or another yute is ready, then they are on an entry type deal and cost next to nothing. Further, if we are able to avoid the NTC we could always trade Darling for a bag of pucks if we need out of the salary.

I just think if Darling will sign for $4 million/5 years, especially if he waives the NTC, we are golden. Do it. Move onto that forward we need. What are playoffs worth? Do it.

Edited by remkin