The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

On 9/9/2017 at 11:39 PM, caniac59 said:

Has anyone received their STH (STM) ticket books yet?  Sorry if this has already been talked about.

I'm still waiting.

: paces nervously :

4 hours ago, dogbutler said:

I'm still waiting.

: paces nervously :

If you connect with them via Email, they should have sent you a FedEx UPS tracking number.  If you don't have email, call your ticket rep.  Heck, call your ticket rep anyway, now.  I think everyone got them last week.

Edited by wxray1

Here's what Vegas thinks.

ODDS to win the cup:

Pittsburgh Penguins —  7/1
Edmonton Oilers — 9/1 Chicago Blackhawks — 12/1 Dallas Stars — 12/1 Anaheim Ducks — 14/1 Nashville Predators — 14/1 Tampa Bay Lightning — 14/1 Toronto Maple Leafs — 14/1 Washington Capitals — 14/1 Minnesota Wild — 18/1 New York Rangers — 18/1 Columbus Blue Jackets — 20/1 Montreal Canadiens — 20/1 Los Angeles Kings — 22/1 Boston Bruins — 25/1 Calgary Flames — 25/1 San Jose Sharks — 25/1 St. Louis Blues — 28/1 Florida Panthers — 40/1 Ottawa Senators — 40/1 New York Islanders — 50/1 Philadelphia Flyers — 50/1 Winnipeg Jets — 50/1 Buffalo Sabres — 66/1 Carolina Hurricanes — 66/1 Detroit Red Wings — 100/1 Arizona Coyotes — 100/1 Colorado Avalanche — 100/1 Las Vegas Golden Knights — 100/1 New Jersey Devils — 100/1 Vancouver Canucks — 100/1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Its eklund, so who knows

saw this on Hockeybuzz.  Ek did an interview with Waddell.  I was unable to listen but maybe someone else would find it worth listening to.

They spoke on many topics but in regards to the Canes,not much new. Waddell stated that last year was the first year  that the organization actually made money since not making the payoffs. They are ahead from previous years in season tkt sales.Sales usually increase in December due to the college football competition early in the season.Winning will increase attendance. He thinks that by tightening up the goal tending....  rating 29th in the league last year by increasing to 19th that should get us in the playoffs. He also spoke about tightening up the D with the yutes now being in their third year and TVR with Faulk. Spoke briefly about Skinner being in his 6 year with some of the young guys we should score enough goals. Reiterated about tightening up the D. Spoke again about the team not looking to move. Not anything new about the potential sale. 

14 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

They spoke on many topics but in regards to the Canes,not much new. Waddell stated that last year was the first year  that the organization actually made money since not making the payoffs. They are ahead from previous years in season tkt sales.Sales usually increase in December due to the college football competition early in the season.Winning will increase attendance. He thinks that by tightening up the goal tending....  rating 29th in the league last year by increasing to 19th that should get us in the playoffs. He also spoke about tightening up the D with the yutes now being in their third year and TVR with Faulk. Spoke briefly about Skinner being in his 6 year with some of the young guys we should score enough goals. Reiterated about tightening up the D. Spoke again about the team not looking to move. Not anything new about the potential sale. 

Thanks for the update 

22 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

His statement was a bit stronger than that, said something along the lines that Bettman was telling anyone interested in buying the Canes that moving them wouldn't be an option. At least I'm pretty sure that's what he said, I was only half listening while concurrently doing something else as well. 

They spoke on many topics but in regards to the Canes,not much new. Waddell stated that last year was the first year  that the organization actually made money since not making the payoffs.

See, it's statements like this that give me trust issues with how revenue is reported.  It's mighty convenient to suddenly show a profit when the owner gets serious about selling the team.

• Like 2

Making a major change in the reporting of profit can be as simple as changing the way you depreciate assets.  Creative accounting for the win.

Edited by super_dave_1

Golden State Warriors sold out for 60 mil to have a small advertisement placed on their jersey next season, I get that it's basketball but that's gotta have owners salivating at the thought now. I'd enjoy these nice clean jersey's while they last because I think it's on it's way out now that the first North American team has crossed the line.

Edited by legend-1

21 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I'd enjoy these nice clean jersey's while they last because I think it's on it's way out know that the first North American team has crossed the line.

I'm amazed it hasn't happened already. Hockey players have looked like stock cars buzzing around the rink in Europe for years, but not in the land of the free and the home of the brave unfettered capitalism. The NHL isn't close to hoops or baseball or football in terms of eyeballs, but even in those games, the gear has remained logo-free on this side of the pond until now (with the exception of the uni's manufacturers). I hope the NHL forbids it, but I'm not holding my breath.  

The Deutsch Eishockey Liga uniforms and their ICE (not just the boards) are littered with ads...it's sickening. It's like NASCAR threw up on their uniforms

• Like 2

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm amazed it hasn't happened already. Hockey players have looked like stock cars buzzing around the rink in Europe for years,  

Post game interview: "Yeah, it was a good game.  The Kinetico ice was fast tonight!  I could feel the air breezing through my Sports Clip cut hair.  We were on fire, darn near needed a Kidde extinguisher to put us out, we were so hot..."  And so on...  Our future.

• Like 1

Because we can't go too long without a Duchene reference:

a top four PLUS is the current asking price to Nashville.  It has come down some (used to be Plus Plus) but I don't see GMRF doing that. 

Edited by gocanes0506

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Because we can't go too long without a Duchene reference:

a top four plus a 1st is the current asking price to Nashville.  It has come down some but I don't see GMRF doing that.

I could see it happening only if there is a lingering issue with Noah's attitude. "You think it's tough here? Fine, go play for Joe."

I heard on XM today that Duchene skipped a team run golf tourney he usually plays in and speculation fired up again.

I am convinced that Francis is not moving a top 4 plus a first (but you never know). But what about Fleury and a first?

I know Duchene is not Tavares, but add a 65 point center to the group and we should have two years of playoffs, and possibly deep runs,  while we wait for our current prospects to vie for NHL spots, and we have Bean to slide in where Fleury would have been. We have Dahlbeck on his correct side, and it's the #6 D slot.

I have speculated that this has been offered, and refused, (no inside knowledge, but we know Francis offered something, so it's a fair guess) but if no one will cough up a top 4, Fleury is a pretty high end prospect. Joe could do a lot worse.

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I could see it happening only if there is a lingering issue with Noah's attitude. "You think it's tough here? Fine, go play for Joe."

True. That was the main reason that Francis scoffed at that deal: trading a good player that the team controls for so much more time than 2 years. But if there is a serious thought that Hanifin would hold out or demand a trade or something that far out, maybe. Still the team still holds the cards, so I'm thinking that is not factoring in as much as we might speculate.

I guess one could point out that Francis' reasoning would apply to Fleury too, but you've got to give something to get. For me, I just think that slotting Fleury or Dahlbeck into the second pairing would be a step back before stepping forward, and this year we don't need any steps back.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

I guess one could point out that Francis' reasoning would apply to Fleury too, but you've got to give something to get.

Joe has never backed off of a top four. There's no reason to think he will now, whether Duchene holds out or not. He's made it clear that ruining this kid means nothing to him. 

Joe was a terrific player. It's a real shame he's such a crappy human.

A couple of relevant articles.

Chip takes a shot at an optimistic take of Rask putting it together as a 1C: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article172834531.html. Top,  you've been reminding us that this is possible.

And Elliot Friedman posits this:

This is my opinion, but the kind of player Colorado covets is Carolina’s Noah Hanifin. Hurricanes GM Ron Francis has made it clear he doesn’t like the idea of trading for two years of Duchene if Hanifin is the price, but there comes a time a GM must gamble. 

The Hurricanes are doing the right things — building, trending in a good direction. You see it coming. Their window to chase a playoff berth is opening. They are deep on the blue line, but need scoring. In hockey’s toughest division, your flaws are even more exposed. Would it surprise you if Sakic is looking at his fellow Hall of Famer, thinking Francis is ready to play the final card for a big pot?

I'm still thinking Francis doesn't do it, but...if the deal had been Hanifin and a first, plus...and now moves to Hanifin for Duchene straight up, maybe. It would come down to depth at LHD. Dahlbeck would almost have to slide all the way to top 4, and Fleury would go from probable to ticket punched.

Can GM Realm play?  GM Realm would trade Hanifin for Duchene.  GM Realm would not trade Hanifin + a 1st for Duchene.  GM Realm might trade Hanifin + a 2nd for Duchene though.  He also might trade Fleury + a 1st for Duchene.  But not Hanifin + a 1st.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Can GM Realm play?  GM Realm would trade Hanifin for Duchene.  GM Realm would not trade Hanifin + a 1st for Duchene.  GM Realm might trade Hanifin + a 2nd for Duchene though.  He also might trade Fleury + a 1st for Duchene.  But not Hanifin + a 1st.

I like your options.

GMGc would say to GMJS, I'll take both of your media mishaps and help you kick off your rebuild.

To AVA: Hanifin, Ryan/McGinn, Roy/Gauthier, and a conditional pick.

they can pick their choice from the 2 sets of 2.

To Car: Duchene and Zadarov (get a contract worked out 1st, 3 yrs 2, 2.5, 2.5 or 7 total).  

Conditions for pick:

if we make the playoffs we swap their 2nd rounder for our 1st and if we don't they get our 2nd.  

Zadarov has a mean streak, which I believe the team needs and helps reduce GMRFs tension of Hanifin for Duchene.  Zadarov has 365 hits and 161 blocks in 145 nhl games.

in comparison, Slavin had 160 blocks last season alone but has 76 hits over his 145 game career

now the question becomes will GMGc's owner allow him to add 6.5 million to the payroll this season?

Edited by gocanes0506

17 hours ago, remkin said:

Chip takes a shot at an optimistic take of Rask putting it together as a 1C: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article172834531.html. Top,  you've been reminding us that this is possible.

Thanks for linking.

“He’s very determined and competitive,” Francis said. “He may not show that outwardly but certainly inside he has the fire to be one of the best.”

I think he totally shows it outwardly. He doesn't celebrate goals. To me, that's always been the sign of a guy who expects to score. I'd still love to see the Swede line from the World's playing here, and it sounds like it'd be okay with BP, too.

Edited by top-shelf-1