The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

On 9/11/2017 at 10:23 AM, wxray1 said:

If you connect with them via Email, they should have sent you a FedEx UPS tracking number.  If you don't have email, call your ticket rep.  Heck, call your ticket rep anyway, now.  I think everyone got them last week.

Calling tomorrow.  But I'm one of 4 or 5 friends who haven't gotten them yet.  So much for loyalty.

7 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Can GM Realm play?  GM Realm would trade Hanifin for Duchene.  GM Realm would not trade Hanifin + a 1st for Duchene.  GM Realm might trade Hanifin + a 2nd for Duchene though.  He also might trade Fleury + a 1st for Duchene.  But not Hanifin + a 1st.

I agree.   Depending on how Hanafin acted in the negotiations, maybe I would do him + a 2nd and maybe a lower prospect.

My take on Duchene. Here's a player who has been asking for a trade for two seasons and given the chance to improve his status last season. His choice was to crap out and coast from January till seasons end hoping to force the GM to trade him. With his cap hit for two years and a bad attitude for two years I say pass quickly. We went down this road with Semin and we don't need a repeat . 18 goals last year may be an glitch I'm not willing to gamble on .

12 minutes ago, winger52 said:

My take on Duchene. Here's a player who has been asking for a trade for two seasons and given the chance to improve his status last season. His choice was to crap out and coast from January till seasons end hoping to force the GM to trade him. With his cap hit for two years and a bad attitude for two years I say pass quickly. We went down this road with Semin and we don't need a repeat . 18 goals last year may be an glitch I'm not willing to gamble on .

Not so sure on your take there.  Sakic has been dangling Duchene out there for a trade for a couple of years, but I don't recall it starting from a Duchene trade request.  I hardly call his attitude bad.

You also try to equate this with the HWSNBN saga, AND you said the name of HWSNBN.

May a diseased yak squat in your hot tub.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Not so sure on your take there.  Sakic has been dangling Duchene out there for a trade for a couple of years, but I don't recall it starting from a Duchene trade request.  I hardly call his attitude bad.

You also try to equate this with the HWSNBN saga, AND you said the name of HWSNBN.

May a diseased yak squat in your hot tub.

Yeah, I don't recall Duchene asking for a trade at all, only Joe announcing last summer he was listening to offers on him and Skog and saying MacKinnon is the future, and then refusing to deal Duchene (or Skog) despite a host of reportedly reasonable offers from several suitors. I can't blame winger for thinking it's been going on for two years, though, b/c it sure seems like it.

And blaming either of them for their drop in performance last year is just wrong. Patrick "look at me! look at me!" Roy quit weeks before the season started, Varly was out from January on, and the Avs defense is Swiss cheese. 

Count me as another STH that has yet to receive her tickets/parking.  I contacted my rep, and I was told I would receive them by the end of the week.  Lets just say - I am not happy.  I have quite a few season tickets, and I need to hand deliver the preseason games to others who will be using them as I will not be available to go to those games (the first of which is next Wednesday).  I know that I can transfer them, but I am finding most people (my husbands clients) would much prefer the hard copy versus the mobile copy - another change that I am not very happy about.   I also do not like the fact that they made the announcement of the mobile transfers well after I had made my decision on adding extra tickets to my account.  Would have been nice to have that information much earlier as I am sure they knew this was in the works.   Makes my life much more difficult as I am sure it does for others.   I am a season ticket holder since 2001 with a large account, and I certainly am not feeling appreciated.

51 minutes ago, cathyl111 said:

Count me as another STH that has yet to receive her tickets/parking.  I contacted my rep, and I was told I would receive them by the end of the week.  Lets just say - I am not happy.  I have quite a few season tickets, and I need to hand deliver the preseason games to others who will be using them as I will not be available to go to those games (the first of which is next Wednesday).  I know that I can transfer them, but I am finding most people (my husbands clients) would much prefer the hard copy versus the mobile copy - another change that I am not very happy about.   I also do not like the fact that they made the announcement of the mobile transfers well after I had made my decision on adding extra tickets to my account.  Would have been nice to have that information much earlier as I am sure they knew this was in the works.   Makes my life much more difficult as I am sure it does for others.   I am a season ticket holder since 2001 with a large account, and I certainly am not feeling appreciated.

Wow.  That's really surprising.

Are you saying you are getting hard copy printed tickets?  Maybe that's the delay?  All I got were the little cards (size of a credit card) and usb stick.  Any "delivery" to a friend must be done electronically.

Edited by wxray1

1 hour ago, danimal-ch1 said:

Then nobody can see the puck!

I'm thinking something that looks like the net. The ultimate camouflage. Where's the goalie?

Duchene is a never ending topic out there in the hockey world.

Edit: update:

Darren Dreger: (this morning) “Duchene update: Plan is to attend camp, but sources say both sides remain committed to trade as best case and will continue to work on it.”

It is discussed on XM a lot. When he didn't show up for the golf tourney they were talking about guys who knew Duchene well. Their take was that he is a solid guy.

And BTW he just showed up for camp saying, he was going to honor his contract and that "I'm here for the fans and my teammates."

I know the cliche's: when the going gets tough the tough get going, and you judge a guy in adversity, etc. But there are extremes. Something is going on in that Avalanche organization/room/etc, that goes beyond hockey on the ice. That team was -112. That is beyond bad hockey. The next worst team was Vancouver at -63.

The season has not started, but it is stunning that Joe Sakic is going into another season, with essentially the same team. I am not a deep hockey historian, but it's the first time I can remember a team being even half that bad not being seriously changed up the next year. I know Joe is beloved, but at some point you gotta give him a nice consulting job and be done with it.

Anyways, all of that is why the price of Duchene is not what Joe thinks it should be. If that team starts the way it probably will, it would seem that Duchene's trade value keeps dropping. Yes, Joe is probably hoping he comes out strong, but that could go either way and neutral or about the same as last year is also a loser for them.

All of this, in theory ought to make a last minute play for Duchene right up Francis' alley. He likes bargains, and Duchene could absolutely be that. Just getting out of that dumpster in Colorado, onto a happy, fast paced, up and rising team like ours should lift a 50 lb weight off of him and he could fly. Francis drives a hard bargain and Sakic has been pretty stubborn, but I still hold out hope for a deal.

46 minutes ago, cathyl111 said:

Yes, I am getting hard copy tickets.  I understand that might take  a bit longer, but they are cutting it a bit close for comfort.   

Ah, I see.  That explains the huge difference in time among us.

I agree about cutting it close.  I recall one year getting my tickets on the day of the first preseason game!  Something about being shipped from Canada.  Not good!

Edited by wxray1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Duchene is a never ending topic out there in the hockey world.

Edit: update:

Darren Dreger: (this morning) “Duchene update: Plan is to attend camp, but sources say both sides remain committed to trade as best case and will continue to work on it.”

It is discussed on XM a lot. When he didn't show up for the golf tourney they were talking about guys who knew Duchene well. Their take was that he is a solid guy.

And BTW he just showed up for camp saying, he was going to honor his contract and that "I'm here for the fans and my teammates."

I know the cliche's: when the going gets tough the tough get going, and you judge a guy in adversity, etc. But there are extremes. Something is going on in that Avalanche organization/room/etc, that goes beyond hockey on the ice. That team was -112. That is beyond bad hockey. The next worst team was Vancouver at -63.

The season has not started, but it is stunning that Joe Sakic is going into another season, with essentially the same team. I am not a deep hockey historian, but it's the first time I can remember a team being even half that bad not being seriously changed up the next year. I know Joe is beloved, but at some point you gotta give him a nice consulting job and be done with it.

Anyways, all of that is why the price of Duchene is not what Joe thinks it should be. If that team starts the way it probably will, it would seem that Duchene's trade value keeps dropping. Yes, Joe is probably hoping he comes out strong, but that could go either way and neutral or about the same as last year is also a loser for them.

All of this, in theory ought to make a last minute play for Duchene right up Francis' alley. He likes bargains, and Duchene could absolutely be that. Just getting out of that dumpster in Colorado, onto a happy, fast paced, up and rising team like ours should lift a 50 lb weight off of him and he could fly. Francis drives a hard bargain and Sakic has been pretty stubborn, but I still hold out hope for a deal.

Thx for that rem, but I'm not holding my breath on this?

5 hours ago, remkin said:

. . .

Could be, but unfortunately Sakic coming down to a more reasonable return is only half the equation.  The other half is competition from other teams interested in Duchene's services.  The grapevine seems to have had at least us, Nashvile, CBJ, Isles, and Habs all as seriously interested, but with several of those not possessing the pieces Sakic wants.  If his price comes down, I wonder if that boosts the competition from other teams a bit more, too, which could keep the price closer to reasonable than bargain?  

Just thinking out loud here (so to speak).  If RF can swing it I'd love to see Duchene in a Canes uni this season.  

Edited by LakeLivin

Don't get me wrong, Lake. I too would love to see it, but as I said, not holding my breath as Sakic seems to be a very guy with whom to deal. Then again, he should be for the sake of his team? very fine line he's walking and from my point of view, he's tremendously hurting his players' career, as obviously his holding out is viewed in a negative context.

I'm not predicting we make the deal. Bets against deals win almost every time. But it's still out there, and especially now, just before camps open, and news is slow, it's getting a lot of play, and we are still on the short list of teams in play.

I don't personally make the move for Hanifin or any of our top 4. But I do wonder if the thing holding that deal back on our end was the "plus more" part as much as the not wanting to trade away a guy on his entry deal for a guy with just 2 years left.

If the price drops to Fleury and a first and maybe one B+ level prospect, GM remkin would pull that trigger. More than likely Sakic has balked at that, but who knows? That deal may not seem great, but Fleury was the #7 pick, is NHL ready, and could grow into a top pair guy, and for a rebuilding team a first rounder and a good prospect should be enticing.

As recalcitrant as Sakic has been, Francis has been every bit as much in terms of making that big deal. He has held out on 100% of the major deals offered so far in his tenure. So whatever Sakic's asking price is, it will almost definitely have to be lowered to make the deal.

That said, if somehow, some way, Francis can add Duchene to this team without losing a top 9 forward or top 4 Dman, think of how good we'd be!

Man, Duchene looks like he would rather be anywhere other than in an Avs photo!

Also, I kind of wondered if sending Fleury back to Traverse City was partly to audition him for the Avs or for being able to slide up to 2nd pair if we traded Hanifin. It's time for Fleury to show something in his 4th year out from being the #7 overall pick.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Man, Duchene looks like he would rather be anywhere other than in an Avs photo!

Also, I kind of wondered if sending Fleury back to Traverse City was partly to audition him for the Avs or for being able to slide up to 2nd pair if we traded Hanifin. It's time for Fleury to show something in his 4th year out from being the #7 overall pick.

It's Mizzou time for Fleury.