The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

20 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Could be, but unfortunately Sakic coming down to a more reasonable return is only half the equation.  The other half is competition from other teams interested in Duchene's services.  The grapevine seems to have had at least us, Nashvile, CBJ, Isles, and Habs all as seriously interested, but with several of those not possessing the pieces Sakic wants.  If his price comes down, I wonder if that boosts the competition from other teams a bit more, too, which could keep the price closer to reasonable than bargain?  

Just thinking out loud here (so to speak).  If RF can swing it I'd love to see Duchene in a Canes uni this season.  

I've always loved Duchene's talent, but it kills me to see his production down so much last season

The canes deserve better.

1 hour ago, Gray26_Kid said:

I've always loved Duchene's talent, but it kills me to see his production down so much last season

The canes deserve better.

Welcome aboard Gray26.

It's a fair point, and Duchene's drop off last year undoubtedly is a part of why Sakic isn't getting his price. But that could also present an opportunity to get a guy at value, the type of guy with proven upside. Personally I'd be willing to wager that Duchene on a new team, especially a non toxic, winning team, would get back to serious production.

The other thing about Duchene for us, is that while 65+ point Duchene would knock it out of the park for us (would have led the team last year), even something between last year and his best year would be 56 points. Add that to Justin Williams, decent to really good goaltending, and an improving young team?

We could roll out what could be the best 3rd line in the NHL: Rask and pick two wingers.

I think this team can and even probably will slip into the playoffs as is. But if we could add Duchene and not give up a current roster player it would take a lot to not make it. Not saying we can, but if....

Got my STH package today. Box and STH cards looks nice. Nice puck and pin. Did they do away with the food credit?

It now says I get a % off all concession food.

10 minutes ago, cathyl111 said:

I have still not received my season tickets.    To say I am annoyed is an understatement.

Got mine at 2.  One of my friends said her ticket rep said it would be there by 8:00p.m.

2 hours ago, cathyl111 said:

They sure take our money quick though.

Everybody that I know has their package.  Sounds like a self-inflicted delay to me, as a fellow STH.  Good luck with that. :)

Contacted my ticket rep to obtain status and tracking number.  He said they are on the truck and out for delivery, but provided no tracking number.

Not sure what you mean by "self-inflicted delay".

Question for those in the know. Just checked out our roster, and was curious that several players physical stats(weight and height) don't seem to change.  Anyone  know when or if  those are updated? I find it very hard to believe that Tolchinsky and several others never seem to gain weight.

Edited by KJUNKANE

I'm all in this season, my avatar hasn't gotten the job done in years and it was time for change.

I like Irbe but boy he doesn't look right as my avatar lol. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cathyl111 said:

Still no season ticket delivery.  Is there a prize for the last sth to receive tickets?

Yes...they're personally delivered by Peter Karmanos

Yes, it will never go away until it happens: (from mynhltraderumors.com):

On the Colorado Avalanche …

Chris Nichols: Darren Dreger on WGR 550 radio:  “I had one Western Conference GM tell me yesterday he thinks a Duchene deal could go down as early as end of this weekend.”

That would be today. (or did he mean next weekend?). Either way that pot seems to be boiling over.

Smartest thing Avs as an organization could do is fire Sakic to appease Duchene before Sakics forced into making team hurting deals to get rid of the guys that hate him. Even after making that deal Sakic likely wouldn't be around too much longer. 

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

Off topic, but watching the Vegas/Canucks pre-season game right now...I really think their youth will really surprise the league this season, they've got some legit playmakers...starting with Cody Glass.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

or did he mean next weekend?

The tweet was dated Friday, so that would mean the weekend about to end. 

Ronnie confirmed they have had discussions and that he was still open to doing something. In another part of today's talk he touted McKeown and Bean, and (again separately) he seemed to infer that where things have broken down in extending Noah is where he sits in the pecking order. I got the clear impression that RF wants to see more early this season before he makes Noah's top-4 status official, by way of extending him at top-4 money. 

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Smartest thing Avs as an organization could do is fire Sakic to appease Duchene before Sakics forced into making team hurting deals to get rid of the guys that hate him. Even after making that deal Sakic likely wouldn't be around too much longer. 

I'm absolutely gobsmacked that Joe's still there. Roy is a whole separate kinda nut job and will obviously be of the Torts school of head coaching ("sooner or later they'll hate me, might as well give them plenty of reason to, right out of the gate") wherever he winds up next (probably the Habs), but the psychic damage that Sakic's management stint has done that org is beyond ridiculous.

Edited by top-shelf-1

20 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The tweet was dated Friday, so that would mean the weekend about to end. 

Ronnie confirmed they have had discussions and that he was still open to doing something. In another part of today's talk he touted McKeown and Bean, and (again separately) he seemed to infer that where things have broken down in extending Noah is where he sits in the pecking order. I got the clear impression that RF wants to see more early this season before he makes Noah's top-4 status official, by way of extending him at top-4 money. 

I don't think he has earned top 4 money yet.  I think he will be top 4 once he gets his act together and develops more though.  I've never seen a Canes team this good on the blue line.   The 06 team was close.  This team has more talented top 4 whereas the 06 team had a good 3 pairs with bo super star / star power.   1st and Bean for Duchene would probably allow us to compete for home ice though.  That's a win win for both teams and a very fair trade.  Plus current team stays in tact. My 2 cents.

Edited by bluedevil58

If Hanifin remains unhappy, I would not be surprised to see him head to Colorado for Duchene. It seems like his dissatisfaction has dragged through the summer. No agent being truly objective can be telling him he deserves the same treatment as Pesce or Slavin. If Francis believes Fleury, McKeown or Bean is ready, I could see trading Hanifin for Duchene. We don't need the distraction of an unhappy player in the room.

• Like 1

I will say Noah was skating hard today; no question he was focused. He actually caught my eye as seeming quite sharp. PDG too, and he seemed to be having fun. Always a good sign.

58 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

If Hanifin remains unhappy, I would not be surprised to see him head to Colorado for Duchene. It seems like his dissatisfaction has dragged through the summer. No agent being truly objective can be telling him he deserves the same treatment as Pesce or Slavin. If Francis believes Fleury, McKeown or Bean is ready, I could see trading Hanifin for Duchene. We don't need the distraction of an unhappy player in the room.

After seeing what happened when bringing in Lindholm (and probably Hanifin) too early, I'd be stunned if they considered Bean for the big club at this point.  Aho was different; based on his international play, mgmt had him publicly penciled in before he ever set foot on PNC ice. 

Which doesn't detract from your main point at all. :)

Edited by LakeLivin

During the second practice today (yewts and prospects), Gaurthier, Saarela and Necas were the standouts to me.  It was very chaotic to follow but those guys made me note them and go to the trouble to figure out their number.

In particular Saarela skated and powered around dmen at will.

Gauthier had presence, some intelligent moves with the puck, and was remarkably fast on the skating drills, decidedly faster than anyone he was skating with.

• Like 1