The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

One other thing to share that amused me.  Today during the Erik Cole interview at the Caniac Carnival, a fan asked him "Who is going to be the next Erik Cole on this team", to which Erik replied... "No one. There is only one of me."

Forslund then said "There are a lot of guys in the organization who are thankful for that" which was a good laugh.

I miss Erik, it was good to see him.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2017 at 1:04 PM, legend-1 said:

I'm all in this season, my avatar hasn't gotten the job done in years and it was time for change.

I like Irbe but boy he doesn't look right as my avatar lol. 

Yeah, looks like a youth hockey photo. Still time to change. I changed as well for this year.

22 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Off topic, but watching the Vegas/Canucks pre-season game right now...I really think their youth will really surprise the league this season, they've got some legit playmakers...starting with Cody Glass.

Glass made two great passes for scores. No one was afraid to shoot!  https://www.nhl.com/news/young-vegas-golden-knights-players-shine-in-preseason-debut/c-291128796

On 9/17/2017 at 12:20 PM, AWACSooner said:

Yes...they're personally delivered by Peter Karmanos

Still no tickets.  At this rate, Santa Claus will deliver them.

Anybody have an idea what this is all about?

A couple of guesses on twitter

Hurricanes and Erik Cole are making an announcement at 5:30 prior to preseason game Wed night at PNC. Gotta be joining front office.

Y'know, in yesterday's interview, Erik Cole said he had always hoped he would end his playing career with the Hurricanes ;)

OBXer, I'd heard simply that Erik was joining the front office, so assume this is just an announcement of, in what capacity? Of course ASSUME opens one up to multiple gaffs?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Anybody have an idea what this is all about?

A couple of guesses on twitter

Maybe they're bringing Cole on to run the PP? Said about half tongue in cheek . . . 

I honestly think he still has game if he is healthy.  An Erik Cole on the 3rd or 4th line banging away.  Man I miss him as his breakout speed.  Was. one of our best 1 on1 players at one point.  Hands down the second best Power Forward to wear a Canes Jersey in this team's history.

We have a new hockey term to learn

George Parros, VP of Player Safety talking about possible penalties including fines, suspensions and other actions said they would look at a “pattern of a player” who is a serial slasher.

Why in my mind do I see a poster with a pic of Sidney reading Wanted: Serial Slasher

We can add that to the serial diver issue.

What do you get when you put a serial slasher out there with a serial diver? A lot of drama.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Why in my mind do I see a poster with a pic of Sidney reading Wanted: Serial Slasher

Because we all need a dream? 

They might as well modify the term right now: Serial Slasher (Not Named Sidney)

Eric Cole inks ceremonial contract to retire a Cane, will become a team ambassador, whatever that means. :huh:

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Eric Cole inks ceremonial contract to retire a Cane

I like these kind of acknowledgments. It is what gives a degree of character to an organization.  

• Like 2

Did Ronnie or Wesley sign ceremonial contracts? I couldn't recall when I thought about it today, I'm thinking Erik's the first.

34 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Eric Cole inks ceremonial contract to retire a Cane, will become a team ambassador, whatever that means. :huh:

A PR ploy. Hey at least they're trying! 

How cool would it be if a bunch of the guys from '06 were in the house for home games, and just started sidling up to fans, introducing themselves, and talking hockey? Commodore wandering the concourse in his bathrobe...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Did Ronnie or Wesley sign ceremonial contracts? I couldn't recall when I thought about it today, I'm thinking Erik's the first.

No.  If I remember, Glen just retired, and Rod was bought out, then announced retirement.  But they ended their careers as Canes, unlike Cole.

19 hours ago, OBXer said:

We have a new hockey term to learn

George Parros, VP of Player Safety talking about possible penalties including fines, suspensions and other actions said they would look at a “pattern of a player” who is a serial slasher.

Second page would have pictures of Eric Staal .

• Like 1