The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I just saw a TJ Oshie open ice hit.  I'M sold on making a run for him...

I don't see it happening but man, i'm right there with you.

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

The grammar nazi in me thanks you for putting the apostrophe in the right place.  

Yeah, but by quoting my OP, you've preserved my omission of the "s" in "seems" forever. (I've corrected it nevertheless.)

14 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Don't worry, as a Chicago native that now considers NC home and rooted with the Canes, I'll personally chat with Scott and make sure he stays with Canes for a long time LOL ???

I tweeted him myself this morning :P

@SDarling_33 Please sign with Carolina! And not just because you have a beautiful name. You also have beautiful skills. We need you, Darlin'

Maybe if enough 'Canes fans bother him he'll sign! Bahahaha!! 

Edited by SuckaPunchd

15 minutes ago, SuckaPunchd said:

I tweeted him myself this morning :P

Maybe if enough 'Canes fans bother him he'll sign! Bahahaha!! 

Don't fret, he'll be between the pipes for us next year. :Goalie:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah, but by quoting my OP, you've preserved my omission of the "s" in "seems" forever. (I've corrected it nevertheless.)

I don't know what you're talking about...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, winger52 said:

Let Lack and Darling fight it out.

Hell yes!  Make it PPV...the $$ raised can go towards Darling's new contract so PK can save it for another big name forward!

One thing to note, and perhaps it may have already been mentioned....if all works out with Darling, he'll have a young, faster, solid defense with a pretty good PK (even though PK dropped off at the end of the season).  In Chicago, Darling had an old, worn-down, and slow defense in front of him. With a shaky D and a TERRIBLE PK, Darling - along with Crawford -directly won games the Hawks had no business winning.  

My hope is that his solid net-minding and a good D in front of him will be refreshing and will work hand-in-hand keeping the puck out of our net. That GAA stat should improve.

Edited by surfzone365

10 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I don't know what you're talking about...

A grammar nazi as obsessive as me. Who'da thunk it?

Bless you.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2017 at 8:21 PM, winger52 said:

MAF stays with the Pens. Murray is exposed and taken by the Knights.

You know this how???

No way they let Murray go!!! They will buy MAF out before they lose Murray.

5 hours ago, rocheccw said:

You know this how???

No way they let Murray go!!! They will buy MAF out before they lose Murray.

Rutherford still has his man crush going for MAF. Just like he did for Cam.

3 hours ago, winger52 said:

Rutherford still has his man crush going for MAF. Just like he did for Cam.

Maybe we should just send Cam over to the Pens and they can give us Murray! That way JR can have his two goalie man crushes in one place! :P

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Citizen_Quinn said:

Maybe we should just send Cam over to the Pens and they can give us Murray! That way JR can have his two goalie man crushes in one place! :P

This is JR we're talking about...we should give him Cam, and get Murray and a prospect, with him covering 2/3 of Murray's salary.  He did that to us often enough...

• Like 2

The way MAF is playing these playoffs it can only be good for the Pens.  Someone is going to pay decently for either Murray or MAF.  So count me out.

This is the typical MAF sucker play BTW.  He's a a world beater or he beats himself.  No in between.

I don't think the Pens can expose MAF as he has a no trade clause. They have to trade him before the expansion if they want to protect Murray. 

"All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

5 minutes ago, Law-Dawg said:

I don't think the Pens can expose MAF as he has a no trade clause. They have to trade him before the expansion if they want to protect Murray. 

"All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

I just checked CapFriendly and MAF does have a NMC in addition to a modified NTC (he lists 18 teams he can be traded to).  The NMC is what prevents Pens from exposing him to Vegas, so if they want to protect Murray it would appear that they need to trade MAF to one of the 18 teams on his list before the expansion draft.

41 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I just checked CapFriendly and MAF does have a NMC in addition to a modified NTC (he lists 18 teams he can be traded to).  The NMC is what prevents Pens from exposing him to Vegas, so if they want to protect Murray it would appear that they need to trade MAF to one of the 18 teams on his list before the expansion draft.

Well, if he's willing to be traded, he may also be willing to waive his NMC for exposure. There is no guarantee that Vegas wants a 32 year old goalie at 2 more years of 5.75M per season when they have good options at much cheaper AAV. He may be willing to risk that to stay in Pittsburg.

If i'm Vegas and i need to not only create a buzz and compete but also reach the salary floor, a 90-or-whatever-time Stanley Cup winning goaltender (including last season and possibly this season as well) like Fleury's exactly the kind of goaltender i'm looking for.  Not too many teams are going to be exposing their top-dollar players.

13 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

If i'm Vegas and i need to not only create a buzz and compete but also reach the salary floor, a 90-or-whatever-time Stanley Cup winning goaltender (including last season and possibly this season as well) like Fleury's exactly the kind of goaltender i'm looking for.  Not too many teams are going to be exposing their top-dollar players.

I think they will try as best they can to do what we and Arizona did by staying close to the floor and using cap dumps to acquire assets. I don't see them needing to take cap dumps or high salary guys for free when they can acquire those guys by trade over the summer along with some picks to help stock the shelves.

43 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Well, if he's willing to be traded, he may also be willing to waive his NMC for exposure. There is no guarantee that Vegas wants a 32 year old goalie at 2 more years of 5.75M per season when they have good options at much cheaper AAV. He may be willing to risk that to stay in Pittsburg.

But why would Pitt take the risk of losing MAF for no return instead of trading him to one of the 18 teams he can't exclude? 

Edited by LakeLivin

Vegas could take MAF and then trade him (salary retained) and come out pretty good I think.  Pittsburgh can't retain because of cap issues.  

Read my post----MAF will not be a Pens player after this season...unless he either waives his NMC to be exposed to Vegas, or there is a back door deal with Vegas to not draft Murray, & Pens will give you "X" asset.  

Murray, & Jarry will be the next goalie tandem in Pittsburg. If you think the Pens are excited by Murray wait until Jarry makes the NHL...some say he might be the best of the three, but it is still very early in his pro career. Pens also have another excellent goalie prospect in Gustavsson in Sweden.  They are stack at the goalie position!!!

Only way I see Murray traded is for a kings ransom...Young SC winning goalie with outstanding numbers(small sample)...going to take a young top rated NHL forward or D, or 1st round pick + elite prospect.

Edited by rocheccw

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

But why would Pitt take that risk instead of trading MAF to one of the 18 teams he can't exclude? 

Because like you an me, his agent can do the math and find 18 teams that don't need, want or can afford a goalie for the next two years at 5.75M AAV. And when they find them, they won't be on the list of 12 that he makes his non-trade list. The only real choice Pitt has is to buy him out or expose Murray. All the other real choices are in MAF's court due to his contract. And given his history with their club and his level of risk he is willing to tolerate, he may gamble that Vegas doesn't want him, and thus allow Pitt to expose him. Not a sure thing, but maybe his best personal option if he wants to stay in Pitt.

32 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Because like you an me, his agent can do the math and find 18 teams that don't need, want or can afford a goalie for the next two years at 5.75M AAV. And when they find them, they won't be on the list of 12 that he makes his non-trade list. The only real choice Pitt has is to buy him out or expose Murray. All the other real choices are in MAF's court due to his contract. And given his history with their club and his level of risk he is willing to tolerate, he may gamble that Vegas doesn't want him, and thus allow Pitt to expose him. Not a sure thing, but maybe his best personal option if he wants to stay in Pitt.

I guess it's possible that MAF could effectively "block" a trade by means of choosing his no trade list.  But it would be tougher given that he can only rule out 12 teams (including Vegas). But it's not like there's an overabundance of NHL goaltenders, and Pitt could either retain some salary or take back salary in trade if needed to help accommodate a team with cap issues.  I've got to believe that a number of teams could use MAF, even if it's not in a role as a pure #1 but similar to what he did in Pitt this season.  And his playoff performance to date sure hasn't hurt his value . . .  

Fleury may waive his NMC & NTC because he wants to be a starter again. Although he has played well in the playoffs thus far, he only got the opportunity because Murray got hurt. Not sure if Pittsburgh can survive the injury to Crosby. They do have a history of overcoming injuries to Crosby and other star players. I'd be shocked if Crosby returns during the playoffs given his concussion history. If he doesn't want to be eating oatmeal and jello at 40, it might be time to think about retirement too. But Crosby's absence could give Fleury a bigger chance to shine if Pittsburgh is going any farther in the playoffs. No matter what he does in the playoffs, I hope we stay away. I'm all in on Darling. Get 'er done, Ronnie.

• Like 1