The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

7 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Fleury may waive his NMC & NTC because he wants to be a starter again.

And let's not forget the attraction of a new organization. For a guy on the wrong side of 30, Vegas is a chance to get in on the ground floor in scouting, management, or coaching when he hangs 'em up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And let's not forget the attraction of a new organization. For a guy on the wrong side of 30, Vegas is a chance to get in on the ground floor in scouting, management, or coaching when he hangs 'em up.

That's my point exactly...Pens have been upfront, & honest with MAF during this whole process...They didn't want to trade him so they could have 2 co-starters this year, & take another shot at the cup, but I think everyone knows when Murray is health he is 1A, & MAF is 1B. I really think MAF is playing well in the playoffs because he is rested...for once he didn't have to play 50+ regular season games this year.

MAF said he doesn't want to leave, but I think he will to be a team's true #1 again. Who knows maybe he has already told JR that he will waive his NMC to go to Vegas??? JR & MAF meet about this during the offseason, & again right before the trade deadline. They did the right thing by keeping him...and will do the right thing probably with MAF in on his future with JR before it is released to the public.

Anyone read Luke DeCock's piece on the Canes today? Seemed like he prepared to write his article by reading these boards. I will say, though, that if his information is accurate, our payroll this year was $8 million lower than the next lowest team in the league. I knew we were near the bottom in payroll, but if we were last by that margin, that is really jaw dropping. If true, there is no excuse for not making a strong offer to Darling, and soon. 

11 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Anyone read Luke DeCock's piece on the Canes today? Seemed like he prepared to write his article by reading these boards. I will say, though, that if his information is accurate, our payroll this year was $8 million lower than the next lowest team in the league. I knew we were near the bottom in payroll, but if we were last by that margin, that is really jaw dropping. If true, there is no excuse for not making a strong offer to Darling, and soon. 

Within the next two years, we're going to have to give substantial raises to Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin, TT, Lindholm, and Aho.  On paper we have a cheap team, but those guys at market value alone would probably put us at the cap floor.  It may seem like we have a ton of money, but in the future sense, we really only have actual money to throw at one or two decent players.

Hopefully we have the organizational depth to trade one of those guys for a need and insert someone younger, cheaper and maybe just as talented. Looking at you TT.

51 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Looking at you TT.

I hear ya, and based on his performance this year I can't disagree. But on the nights he was good, he was very, very good, so I give him some benefit of the doubt. He was new to the system, shuffled though the lineup at lot, and from what I understand, had some "big brother" type responsibility in helping SeaBass get acclimated.

He's an RFA this summer, so in a way his spotty work was a blessing; it allows RF to offer him 3rd-line money on a bridge deal, for three years, say 2.5 million a year. That's a nice raise but an eminently moveable number if he's not pushing for top-six minutes by the next time he's up for renewal. I think he has the tools, by the second half of next year, to be doing what Lindholm did this season. Hopefully he rises to the occasion. 

I agree with your post Top. I think he has the tools to produce the points close to Linholm's, though probably not as good overall.

It can take even a veteran player a while to adjust to a new team, so there is that, and TT is still developing his NHL game. He has high skill, but needs to be stronger on the puck. He has some high skill playmaking and creativity in him, but needs to find the balance of doing that with less turnovers.

I agree he can though, and if we want to have 3 scoring lines (we do), then getting a guy like TT signed a bit cheaper than he might have been really helps with that.

At the same time, I see Legend's point. TT is a finesse player. That's fine, but finesse players have to produce to justify the finesse. 42 points is pretty good, but may end up not being good enough, and while he isn't a sniper, 15 goals can be improved on too. I think TT needs to be a 50 point guy at least. I think he will be though. If he stays healthy I'd predict 50 next year.

If you want to get an idea for just a few of "good to outstanding" prospects developing out of the limelight, here's another good write up on the main page about our prospects in late round playoffs in Canadian Juniors:

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/in-the-system-hurricanes-prospects-advance-to-chl-finals/c-289246672

Warren Foegle continues to impress. On top of scoring, and being #2 in the playoffs in shots, he is the team's #1 penalty killer with a streak of breakaway shorties. Including one that featured some skating that would break any defender's ankles.

Steven Lorentz and Spencer Smallman continued to earn praise.

Nic Roy and Julian Gauthier are for real. If they're not Canes next year, the year after they will be. Both are huge, skilled and work around the net. That is a ticket to the NHL.

And how about some goaltending? Collum Booth's goaltending was described as "elite".

I feel confident saying that our system has never had anywhere near this many guys with a real shot. Sure, they won't all pan out, but so many good players.

In addition to those guys above is Kuokkanen in Juniors, and a bunch of nice prospects in D1 college and Charlotte.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

42 points is pretty good, but may end up not being good enough, and while he isn't a sniper, 15 goals can be improved on too. I think TT needs to be a 50 point guy at least. I think he will be though. If he stays healthy I'd predict 50 next year.

Well, 42 is okay on the third, but I agree that 50 is the threshold if he wants top-six minutes.

I was thinking back to how easy it was in the first half for guys to push Nordy off the puck, and how he suddenly found an edge in the second, pretty much from the point where he dropped 'em at the end of that 6-1 loss to the Caps. From then through the end of the season, he was a different player, and on several occasions kept the puck in the Ozone while the rest of his line changed. Lindy--same thing. Once he got physical, he was a force. That's the kind of step up I'm hoping to see from TT, and I'm hoping he's bulking up this summer to get there, like Lindholm reportedly did last summer. European players are typically a little slower in embracing the physicality of the North American game. I think the fact that a couple of ours have bodes well for others doing so, too. Without at least some of that on this side of the pond, you're gonna get steamrolled.

Lindholm found his playmaking game this season and didn't seem to shy from the physical aspect as he did in previous years but his goal scoring since coming into the league just isn't there, and the trend isn't encouraging.  He still hasn't found it. 9, 17, 11, 11 over four seasons.  He may be best suited for 3rd line and PP minutes where he is solid on the half wall. Not top 6 with that contribution.

Will be watching to see what he does at the Worlds along with Rask another Euro who fell off the pace.

Edited by raleighcaniac

In the "a guy can dream" department, imagine this:

We sign Darling and we sign TJ Oshie. Then we trade for Matt Duchene.

The cap would get very tight in 18-19, we could just fit them in I think. In 19-20 Duchene is a UFA right when we need to re sign Skinner.

But by then other decisions would have to be made with young, cheap guys pushing up.

Yes, this is filed in the "pipe dream" file.

But imagine:

Skinner/Duchene/Oshie, Lindholm /Jordan/Aho, TT/Rask/Stempniak.  Good luck with stopping that.

And Darling in net.

That would sell some tickets. That would do some damage in the playoffs.

Rem,

i doubt we see 2 offensive checkers in the lineup next season.  We could see Roy to play 3rd line center if we get a top line winger.  

I doubt we get both players.  Getting 1 of those 2 is a big enough dream as it is. It would be sweet though.

KJUN,

unless we get a big punishing center, adding Drouin wouldn't be a great idea.  Basically we would have Drouin, Stempniak, Aho, and Skinners to be paired up on 2 lines.  One of those lines would be beat up a lot.  We have Hanifan to get it done.   This would be the year to move a Dman for O talent.  Cam Fowler, Trouba, TVR, and others could be had because of expansion draft exposure.  Could replace a good young defender with another for cheap. I don't see it though.

17 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Lindholm found his playmaking game this season and didn't seem to shy from the physical aspect as he did in previous years but his goal scoring since coming into the league just isn't there, and the trend isn't encouraging.

After some of the wide-open nets he missed this year maybe he'll head back to his earlier stick pattern. That current blade looks a little too weird.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

After some of the wide-open nets he missed this year maybe he'll head back to his earlier stick pattern. That current blade looks a little too weird.

Propeller replacement?

12 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Propeller replacement?

Exactly. I do think the confidence he'll gain from finding his game this year will do wonders, but for cryin' out loud, that curve is like bringing a baseball bat to the tennis court.

Ronnie still needs to set Murphy out by the road on trash day with a $20 bill pinned to his collar.

Hopefully, some team has a stalled forward project that would be interested in trading red-headed stepchildren.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Exactly. I do think the confidence he'll gain from finding his game this year will do wonders, but for cryin' out loud, that curve is like bringing a baseball bat to the tennis court.

You can go overboard.

I never played any significant ice hockey, but did play a lot of street/ball hockey in Chicago.  I so fondly remember my neighbor Kelly and I "going rogue" and literally playing with fire in the basement as we were trying to curve our blades.  We were gonna really pull one over on the rest of the neighborhood!  I think we both managed about 1/16" of curve. :)  My game did not improve.  I usually was forced to play goalie anyway.  ("Put the fat kid in net!"  ... See other thread with Jabba in net.)

Memories...  

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

IIHF games going on right now....Lindholm has scored with a Rask assist to put Swedes up 1-0 over Russia...

Aho has scored to put the Finns up 2-1 over Belarus...

Watch US/Germany Game Live Today on NHL Network at 2:15 p.m. ET

Edited by raleighcaniac

TheHockeyNews has an article on the Canes and RF: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/with-picks-prospects-and-potential-hurricanes-should-be-active-this-summer

Two potential targets they list that the Canes might be able to target due to limited protection slots in the expansion draft are Jakob Silfverberg and Jason Zucker.

The article also included this comment about Bill Peters (I added the boldface):

"That’s because Carolina needs scoring in a bad way. Given the way the team has operated under Peters — and some would consider the Hurricanes one of the league’s most well-coached teams — the offense has simply underachieved."

Seeing that Lake, I am and have wondered why his name is not mentioned in Jack Adams award? Oh, that's right, that still falls into "the Ole Boy" category, my bad!! 

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Seeing that Lake, I am and have wondered why his name is not mentioned in Jack Adams award? Oh, that's right, that still falls into "the Ole Boy" category, my bad!! 

Possibly, but I'm thinking you almost have to at least make the playoffs to get into that discussion.

Just now, LakeLivin said:

Possibly, but I'm thinking you almost have to at least make the playoffs to get into that discussion.

True, but why? When you turn around a perennial non-playoff team, and almost sneak in, why is it that one cannot be judged on the substance of his work, irrespective of that playoff bar?

3 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

True, but why? When you turn around a perennial non-playoff team, and almost sneak in, why is it that one cannot be judged on the substance of his work, irrespective of that playoff bar?

I agree that shouldn't be the case.  But channeling my armchair Freud: I suspect that often people subconsciously make "rules" to make decisions easier, and once they're made, rarely put in the effort to go back and question them.