The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

I'll withhold final judgement about the respect Peters gets until next year when we do make the playoffs :applaud:  and then see how he gets treated.  In all fairness, it wasn't but 2 months ago that several people on this board were talking about firing Peters.

Edited by LakeLivin

8 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

After some of the wide-open nets he missed this year maybe he'll head back to his earlier stick pattern. That current blade looks a little too weird.

Agree,I mentioned this during the season and hoped he would experiment with something new in the off season. Something a touch straighter.

I just want to say a lot of you were SPOT ON regarding this signing. 

I'm impressed by the clairvoyance of this collective board.  Ya'll trying out for assistant GM?

Welcome, Scott!

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

So when lack doesn't get chosen in the draft, what happens then?

Plenty of options, remember In Ron We Trust.

18 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

TheHockeyNews has an article on the Canes and RF: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/with-picks-prospects-and-potential-hurricanes-should-be-active-this-summer

Two potential targets they list that the Canes might be able to target due to limited protection slots in the expansion draft are Jakob Silfverberg and Jason Zucker.

. . .

First off, good job RF on the goalie front.  Still no guarantees, but we weren't going to land Bishop and Darling looks to be the next best move.

Second, as per the above, I wouldn't mind it if we took advantage of the Ducks protection issues and picked up Silfverberg for cheap.  If we do:

a ) I hope that's not our big off-season forward move

b ) First in to suggest the nickname "typo" :P

Edited by LakeLivin

This FANTASTIC. :applaud:. It's been a good while since Francis has made a move with even close to this import.

Francis slipped in and grabbed Darling while other teams like Dallas, etc who also need to fix #1 goalie were golfing. Just like that, goalie problem solved.

It's worth a 3rd rounder just to be able to put this issue behind us early and focus on the remaining ones.

It is also a sign that we are going to see "full on Ron". He is going to be active and make some serious moves after years of really good, patient small moves.

Good stuff!

Apparently only a Limited NTC too, so even better.

Edited by remkin

Whether you agree or not with the player or the contract, GMRF targeted what he thought was a #1 goalie and got him.  That is an excellent start to the off-season.  Bravo GMRF!

Edited by ironman87
  • Like 1

My phone pinged me at 3 am (Qatar time) with the notification...we got him for about 1 mil cheaper than I thought we would...and for just the right length up front.  LOVE this move...

Sad, sad excuse for a write up this morning in the N&O.  

A great signing if it puts up similar numbers.  A risky signing If his numbers were manufactured by the Hawks as he is unproven as a starter.  I like it though.

Now it's time for the O.

NEXT

1 Upgrade Goalie

2 Top 6 Center

3 5/6 defenseman

4 4th line center

I know this is small ball, and shouldn't substitute for a couple of the big moves RF needs to make, but I wouldn't mind bringing Stalberg back on a 1 year contract.  I don't mind him on the 4th line and I really like him on the PK.  If I'm not mistaken, our PK efficiency dropped noticeably at the trade deadline, and I don't attribute that to losing Hainsey. 

Edited by LakeLivin

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

NEXT

1 Upgrade Goalie

2 Top 6 Center

3 5/6 defenseman

4 4th line center

OBXer, #2 and#3 I think are givens, particularly #2. As to #4, let me put out what is a perhaps radical idea as I've heard cons to this plan, at least for part, but could we perhaps alternate Roy and Gautier there? I know both need "seasoning" in the AHL, but is that possible, or would that require waivers? Just a thought, and probably a stupid one at that? If allowable though, that could result in a sort of accelerated OJT? More I think of it, it's too reasonable, therefore likely not allowed? 

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I know this is small ball, and shouldn't substitute for a couple of the big moves RF needs to make, but I wouldn't mind bringing Stalberg back on a 1 year contract.  I don't mind him on the 4th line and I really like him on the PK.  If I'm not mistaken, our PK efficiency dropped noticeably at the trade deadline, and I don't attribute that to losing Hainsey. 

Would love to get Stalberg back but I believe we can't re-sign.  Its based on the rule about not re-acquiring a player because of the expansion draft 

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Would love to get Stalberg back but I believe we can't re-sign.  Its based on the rule about not re-acquiring a player because of the expansion draft 

I don't think this is correct, gocanes0506, as I believe that rule to which you're referring occurs THIS year, not LAST when Stalberg was traded. As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the rule you cite was put in place to prevent teams from circumventing the expansion draft, by trading vulnerable players on their team to another team, for purposes of protection. Then later, the 2 involved teams would reverse the trade, for some type of under the table consideration? Since Stalberg was traded last year,if I'm correct, he'd not be affected. As I stated, please correct me if this is not right? 

32 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

19 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I don't think this is correct, gocanes0506, as I believe that rule to which you're referring occurs THIS year, not LAST when Stalberg was traded. As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the rule you cite was put in place to prevent teams from circumventing the expansion draft, by trading vulnerable players on their team to another team, for purposes of protection. Then later, the 2 involved teams would reverse the trade, for some type of under the table consideration? Since Stalberg was traded last year,if I'm correct, he'd not be affected. As I stated, please correct me if this is not right? 

Ah, forgot all about that.  I do remember something about not being able to reacquire a player you traded after early January 2017, but the last time I tried to look it up I couldn't find it. Still not sure of the details. E.g., I'm pretty sure I read that you can't trading back for a player you traded, but can the NHL ban a club from signing a UFA, even if it's one they traded after January?  Seems like the players assoc would have a legitimate objection to that, and I'm not sure that situation would meet the intent of the rule anyways (at least my interpretation) .  In that, unless the player was signed by the new club before the expansion draft, Vegas could still go after him in that 48 hour window they've got to exclusively negotiate with UFAs before the expansion draft.  Hmm, we'll have to keep our eyes out on that one.

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

I don't think it applies to UFAs

I looked it up and you could be right.  The only language i find is re-acquire a player you have traded.  Im not sure if signing a player is considered acquiring them.  The rule states no team can re-acquire a player it trades between 1Jan 2017 & 1 Jan 2018 for 1 year.  Again I have no idea if signing is considered acquiring.

if not, im all about getting viktor for 2-3 years at about 4 to 4.5 million total.

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

OBXer, #2 and#3 I think are givens, particularly #2. As to #4, let me put out what is a perhaps radical idea as I've heard cons to this plan, at least for part, but could we perhaps alternate Roy and Gautier there? I know both need "seasoning" in the AHL, but is that possible, or would that require waivers? Just a thought, and probably a stupid one at that? If allowable though, that could result in a sort of accelerated OJT? More I think of it, it's too reasonable, therefore likely not allowed? 

I don't think that will happen. I suppose one or the other could grab that spot in training camp but more likely a chex like Wallmark.  I have no idea really but it is a position that needs to be filled unless we resign Jmac and I don't think we will.