The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

I don't think anything too grand gets revealed tomorrow, but I do think this really is the year for Francis to make the splash move (s).

Two major moves:

Find an elite forward somehow, even if he overpays.

Find an NHL #1 goalie.

There are some expansion moves. Try not to lose Stempniak. Force Vegas to take a second tier D man or better still one of our goalies.

Obviously draft well. (As always I say trade up, and as always they won't).

But here's my thinking:

I will be looking at the presser tomorrow for signs of A: Stay with the plan B: look for me to make some moves.

Last year, Francis was explicit in his plan to stay the course and stay on point: draft, develop, small-ball moves. He did it. But that was the plan. No question. I supported that, as I think, did most fans.

But that was last year. This year, he's seen what he has and what he needs. I hope he sees what I see.

1. A defense that is ready now. If J Faulk could re-learn turning and skating with the forward in the D zone, we'd be super-set. Hanifin will be very good next year. Slavin and Pesce are there now. Bring in Fleury, maybe McKeown, or a vet.

2. Goalie needs upgrade. Sorry but Cam now has two seasons with brilliant runs and sad totals. .905? COME ON RON! Why is it so hard for coaches and management to see this? I am back to taking my chances with Eddie as back up, his .903 isn't better, but he finished strong and he's bigger and younger. And how do we move on from Cam until we move on from Cam?

3. Forwards: Here is the key. PK has, in the past, shown a willingness to pay a guy if we are thought to be close. Sure, it hasn't always worked out, but we have to try. The basic team of forwards is here now. These are almost all young guys who should step up some. But even if they do, that's all the MORE reason to add a guy. We have a ton of defensive prospect depth. We have a strong defense. Add that one more legit guy, even if he's a guy who's down now but has the 65 point potential.

Adding the goalie and splashing a legit top forward in here will not only give us a clear path to playoffs, but it ill excite the fan base, and if we get a good start, begin to fill the building again.

The flip-side? We like our group. We need room for competition. Our young guys will get better. I think that is not going to fly this year.

I don't know if they tip their hand in the presser, but the base is here. The base is uber-young and improving. We got close with the base this year. Add to the base and we make it next year. We need to make it next year.

That is interesting with LA. Francis has dealt with them before too, though they have shaken up the front office, but also being cross conference seems to give GM's a little more cover if a deal goes bad, and as they are planning a shake up, who knows.

I have to think it would take a King's ransom (see what I did there?) to pry Kopitar loose. He is getting ultra mega bucks so if this year is not an outlier, that would be a bad contract. But holy moly, if that guy gets back to his capabilities? This has been a near-point-per-game, massively positive plus/minus, true 1C, with Stanley Cups. If he wanted to be here and found his game from just about any year not last year? Wow.

What a splash that would be.

Edited by remkin

Just sad that we have our Off Season Talk thread going...Really nothing to say or do until mid June when the Cup has been won, the season is over and the real off season begins...(not ragging on anyone posting here, simply saying its sad that's what Canes fan are relegated to doing, again)

10 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Just sad that we have our Off Season Talk thread going...Really nothing to say or do until mid June when the Cup has been won, the season is over and the real off season begins...(not ragging on anyone posting here, simply saying its sad that's what Canes fan are relegated to doing, again)

These playoff ticket prices are outrageous!  And I'm really concerned the place will be filled with opposing fans.  The Canes should limit foreign fans like Nashville does!

... Oh wait, we're not in the playoffs.  Never mind...

Just trying to help you out, raleighcaniac. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

2. Goalie needs upgrade. Sorry but Cam now has two seasons with brilliant runs and sad totals. .905? COME ON RON! Why is it so hard for coaches and management to see this? I am back to taking my chances with Eddie as back up, his .903 isn't better, but he finished strong and he's bigger and younger. And how do we move on from Cam until we move on from Cam?

And I think the goalie situation has been a huge part of the calculus of terrible OT/SO records.  

... OK, queue up the "but he didn't get any run support" music now ...

Ward even said in his exit interview, pertaining to shootouts, "I've kind of struggled throughout my career".  As many times as this team has gone to the shootout throughout his career, that's a pretty big con.  Perhaps some coach should look at that one of these years.

Jordan looks defeated. Several different ways to take it, such as why should he be upbeat we just had a dismal season? Is he tired of losing or is he tired of Carolina? Or is there nothing to take from it and he was irritated with the 20 questions game especially with one reporter trying to get him in trouble asking to play GM?

I just didn't see a very confident player that thinks the ship can be righted. Maybe the offseason magic we're all hoping for reinvigorates him. 

12 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Are we still trading Faulk?

You haven't heard?  Traded for a traffic cone and a matador cape.

19 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

You haven't heard?  Traded for a traffic cone and a matador cape.

If that were for Murph, that would have been the steal of a lifetime!

20 hours ago, ironman87 said:

Who knows if this is true or not, but I read a post-mortem on the LA Kings.  If they decide to go full rebuild, there could be some VERY interesting names available. They are strapped against the cap and crippled by long-term contracts.  They MAY have to trade someone like Drew Doughty (who has 2 years left at a reasonable rate) to offload one of their longer term contracts.  One of those contacts mentioned was that of Jonathan Quick.  With our needs, perhaps we could package some picks, a backup goalie, perhaps a prospect for Doughty and Jonathan Quick???  Other contracts that they may want to trade are:

Dustin Brown - They would basically have to give us Doughty for that one

Marian Gaborik - He's getting old but I bet can still score

Anze Kopitar - The contract is a monster, but he's a #1 center for sure (is he falling off though?)

Anyway, at least a few of those ideas seemed interesting to me.

I understand what you're saying, but all of those contracts are more or less terrible, and would hinder us moving forward to sign our young guns.

Quick is signed for $6M per season through 2023, and he's already 31 years old.

Kopitar is signed for $10M per season through 2023, he's 29, and barely had 50 points this season.

Brown is signed for $6M per season through 2022, and is a borderline 3rd liner at this point.

Gaborik is signed for $5M per season through 2022, is 35 years old, and had 20 points in an albeit injury plagued season.

As I was typing these out, it made me realize even more how screwed L.A. is moving forward. I honestly don't think they'll be able to do a rebuild even if they want to!

Yah, Dean Lombardi royally screwed that org...
Any organization that has more than three monster contracts on its books, no matter how great the talent is, is really handcuffing themselves down the road.

Just a wild thought.   The Canucks may go full rebuild.  Sedin twins have 1 year left at 7M each.   

My guess is they are too old, and that they won't want to come (full NMCs).

First off, no way...too old, too expensive.

Second, they have come out and publicly said they won't play for anyone but Vancouver.

47 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Yah, Dean Lombardi royally screwed that org...
Any organization that has more than three monster contracts on its books, no matter how great the talent is, is really handcuffing themselves down the road.

Crazy to think that they have approaching $30M tied up in four players through 2022. Lombardi did help them win two Stanley Cups, but I understand what you're saying.

I remember the last time the Canes tried this it didn't work so well. Anyway Francis and Peters meet the media today at noon.

live video

CanesVision

I either missed it or it's not working. Can't tell haha.

Their Facebook stream was darn near muted so I wouldn't put it past em that it didn't work.

link from front page is working. link above working too.

Francis says goalie coach contract won't be renewed

Peters says pieces to improve team should be available.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the presser so far. Ron and Bill seem a lot more open than in the years past.

Marcoux's contract will not be renewed in June.

Peters: Draft prospects and the farm can not provide the help we need to be competitive in a very tough conference. Ron has his work cut out for him to acquire NHLers in the off season to make the team better.

Ron: We need at least one 20 goal veteran forward ... we're in a position to make moves to get FAs and/or move some players and picks to make the team better... will look into changing the schedule at the start of the season so we don't have to start with a bunch of away games all the time.

• Like 2

Wasn't working for me either on phone.  Working on land line from work (lunch time!).

Budget: RF says PK may have more flexibility than you think.  He will pay.  However, RF was very guarded about having much cash except to bump up existing young players.  My take is he is telling us that there will be a bigger budget, but don't expect this team to reach the cap yet.  Gotta pay for the needed pieces mentioned above too.  I think it is going to be a squeeze.

Future goalies in the system: "We are throwing darts at a board."  (wxray: "uh oh")

Bick's future: going back to Ontario.  We'll see where this goes after he settles (regarding anything in the org.)  BP almost cried again.

Edited by wxray1