Off-Season Talk 2017

Just now, super_dave_1 said:

One toke over the line sweet Jesus
One toke over the line
Sittin' downtown in a railway station
One toke over the line

Brewer and Shipley

All the yutes need to check this out if they don't get it

For some reason, I can't get YouTubes to show up here.  If someone can get the "One Toke Over the Line" video from Lawrence Welk (YES, you heard me right) up here, I think we could all get a collective laugh.  Maybe even a contact high to relax.

11 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

For some reason, I can't get YouTubes to show up here.  If someone can get the "One Toke Over the Line" video from Lawrence Welk (YES, you heard me right) up here, I think we could all get a collective laugh.  Maybe even a contact high to relax.

Love that.  Apparently they thought it was a religious song because of the 'sweet Jesus' line.  Sweet.

58 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

We will not get our #1 center this way, but we can get some help for sure.

I agree. Our best chance to benefit from this is the acquisition of a #4/5 defenseman for the third pairing.

Everyone is attributing the "demands" cited in the article to Sakic, but it's actually the author speculating about what Sakic's current demands would be.  While Sakic's original demands were outlandish, I haven't seen anything credible that would indicate that he is stupid enough to think he can demand more after his original ask went unrequited and Landy's performance went downhill.  I think it's more likely that the author is way off than Sakic is that out of touch.     

Joe, Colorado fans, whatever dude.  Just relax.  GMRF has it under control.  He won't bogart the joint.

58 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I haven't seen anything credible that would indicate that he is stupid enough to think he can demand more after his original ask went unrequited

How about the fact that neither has been moved yet? Half the league has had a month to go after them, including at least two teams - us and the Bruins - rumored to have expressed strong interest earlier. The ExDraft looms, yet Joe seems to be playing the same game with that date that he's already lost once with the TD.

12 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

How about the fact that neither has been moved yet? Half the league has had a month to go after them, including at least two teams - us and the Bruins - rumored to have expressed strong interest earlier. The ExDraft looms, yet Joe seems to be playing the same game with that date that he's already lost once with the TD.

You missed the part where I said "more".  Clearly he's still asking too much, but the article that's got everyone in a tizzy implies that he's asking for even more than his original price, which as you point out, no one is willing to pay.  Oh, and even if Sakic's demands have come down, we might not see an actual trade until after the expansion draft because of protection issues.

Edited by LakeLivin

37 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

You missed the part where I said "more".

No, it's in the matter I quoted from your OP. The conjecture was all over the map about what Sakic wanted during the season; I don't think it's much of a leap, given what we already know about his logic, that he would think, as the article notes, losing the lottery means he must get more for his assets. In fact, that seems completely in line with his "rationale" to date.

With every day that passes with no deal, Joe shows more and more that he may have been a great player, but he's no GM.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Good lord, everybody is well aware that anything posted on Canes Country are articles by amateur GM's.  We can still have a little fun with it without getting in a tizzy.

18 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Good lord, everybody is well aware that anything posted on Canes Country are articles by amateur GM's. 

If the "price goes up because Col lost dropped in the draft lottery" didn't give that away, I don't know what else would.  How can anybody take that seriously.

Eat a Snickers Bar folks.

I'm not sure how I feel about Lands.  While I think he brings the intangibles I feel that we need more in terms of scoring.  I also think Duchene will just make the team even more smaller an easier to push around.  As stated before, I would gladly spend good money to see big open ice hits that result in losses than fancy moves that result in losses.

Edited by bluedevil58

bluedevil58, I'm not sure how I feel about either of these Colorado players, but I'm really tired of all this speculation and really could care less if we get either. Just move on and find someone or ones less controversial,

Agreed.  I'm thinking guys like Jason Zucker or Matthew Dumba from Minnesota would be the highest level of player to come out of protection slot dealing...  Good players, but not franchise cornerstones.

I think the #1 center comes from a trade of some sort.  Not sure who to target here as there are not many #1 centers floating around available for trade.  Edmonton and Pittsburgh are two teams that have multiple #1C players.  Both need defensive upgrades.  We have discussed Duchesne at length.  This is probably a pipe dream, but since they are pushing close to the cap,  could we somehow pry Anze Kopitar or Jeff Carter out of LA?  

46 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

This is probably a pipe dream, but since they are pushing close to the cap,  could we somehow pry Anze Kopitar or Jeff Carter out of LA?  

Have you followed Kopitar the past two seasons?  I harp on Jordan for being overpaid while underdelivering...Kopitar has him beat by a country mile, especially this past season.

12 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

As stated before, I would gladly spend good money to see big open ice hits that result in losses than fancy moves that result in losses.

Then Franchise needs to get Ottawa on the phone and trade for Mark Borowiecki...that dude is a hitting MACHINE!!!

ironman, I don't pretend to know all the dynamics of the business side of trades, but it would appear to me that if a player is a key piece to a team, that team either would require in a trade, either have someone in their system that they believe could come close to replacing that player, or know where a player is that they could bring in. I doubt any team would sacrifice a key player critical to them, and would find some way to move lesser players instead.

But who really knows how this off season will shape up? You might be on to something?

I don't have the anti russian bias.  I would just sign Ivan Drago.   Everything he hits, he destroys.

I was wondering when this oldie but goodie was going to hit the Hurricane rumor mill.

Spectors Hockey

Sportsnet possible sign-and-trade destinations for winger Ilya Kovalchuk. 

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Of the clubs suggested by Fox, I believe the Hurricanes, Panthers and Golden Knights stand the best chance of landing Kovalchuk.