The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

23 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

ironman, I don't pretend to know all the dynamics of the business side of trades, but it would appear to me that if a player is a key piece to a team, that team either would require in a trade, either have someone in their system that they believe could come close to replacing that player, or know where a player is that they could bring in. I doubt any team would sacrifice a key player critical to them, and would find some way to move lesser players instead.

I agree most teams want to keep key pieces, like we want to keep Hanifan.  To get something like a #1 center, it may take a Hanifan to get it.  we aren't going to get something for nothing.  But we do have a lot of ammunition to use (draft picks, prospects, young players, expansion slots, cap space, etc...).  Dare I say, there isn't another team in the NHL that is better positioned than us to make some noise this offseason.  Now, will we self-impose ourselves into small ball moves?  That I cannot answer.  It would be a shame if we did.

AWAC, I admit I haven't followed Kopitar very closely.  I guess his name (and contract) outweigh his production.  I just know that LA is saddled with some REALLY bad contracts.  They may be willing to pull a Chicago and part with a good player to get themselves out of the cap jail they are in.

Silfverberg from the Ducks is an attainable option because of the expansion draft.  They cannot protect everyone.   And I do not think the price will be very high.  a 2nd rounder, exchange of the 1sts  or a Tier 2 prospect is all i would do.  The Ducks either trade him or lose him for nothing.  Because if he's exposed, he will be taken.

No to Eberle...he looked awful in the playoffs.

Silfverberg or Nino would be good expansion draft targets...both of those teams are in protection HE double hockey sticks...the price shouldn't be at the normal rate...I think either could be had for one of our 2nd round picks, or a mid prospect & lower draft pick. Swapping first round picks could be thrown in too. I just don't think the prices will be high, because teams will be desperate to get something instead of nothing.

Kov is an interesting move, but I would not give up much to make that move nor would I do much in term, & of course it would have to have NO NMC nor NTC in the contract. Again not a move I would make...unless I was 100% sure he would buy into the team concept, & I got the warm fuzzies about his offense.  Still I don't trade more than a high 2018 pick, or a good but farther away prospect like Bean. No top forward prospect should be traded for anyone unless they can fill the 1C roll with 30-40 goals & 70-100 points!!!

Not sure why, but the XM morning guys are convinced Kovi ends up at NYR or NYI.  Not sure what they know.

44 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Not sure why, but the XM morning guys are convinced Kovi ends up at NYR or NYI.  Not sure what they know.

He wants a big stage. Let him have it.

• Like 2

Signing Kovi to a one or two year deal is one thing.  Giving up a lot for his rights is another.

He picked up his puck and went home.  I say let him live with that decision.

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Which of course sucks for us because even though i wouldn't want him here, he's going to improve any team he goes to (for a couple months anyway, until he decides to quit again).  After the Devils and Flyers in the lottery, that would be another move to make the Metro that much tougher.

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

Which of course sucks for us because even though i wouldn't want him here, he's going to improve any team he goes to (for a couple months anyway, until he decides to quit again).  After the Devils and Flyers in the lottery, that would be another move to make the Metro that much tougher.

Ilya Kovalchuk is old (and I do mean OLD) news. Any team considering him will consider the same drawbacks we are. This is a non-story IMO. Even if he winds up back in the league, Jersey will break both his legs the first time they play.

58 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Ah yes, indeed!  That makes sense given his history.

I'm all in with you guys.  Stay the <> away from this guy.

Innocent question.  Mrs. Wxray was asking.  "How about J. Williams for 2 years for a few mil?"

Old like Kovi, still has something in him though.  Team player.

But old, and not sure about retreads.

14 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Innocent question.  Mrs. Wxray was asking.  "How about J. Williams for 2 years for a few mil?"

retreads were a JR thing, but Williams at 35 could be a solid top 9 addition. I just wouldn't go over 2M per, & 2 years would be max. I really think he might get someone to over spend on him with the decent numbers he had in Washington...just don't want us to over spend on him.

If the Canes over spend it needs to be on a top 3 forward, or top 6 forward in their prime...Oshie & RADULOV come to mind...

23 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

We'd have our captain.  gamble on his age though, eventually in the next 3 years he falls off and retires.

2nd that!! In my humble opinion, and I'm aware that the rerospectiscope is "inerrant", but trading J Willy away was one of JR's greatest blunders. Ranks right beside trading for "He who shall not be named".

Williams work's on so many levels. He has the attitude RF wants in the locker room, he has the veteran leadership the youth will need and still puts up respectable points. He's a great depth player for when injuries hit to roll up to the 2nd line and not to mention he's the perfect model of what a Captain should be with no long term commitment. Let him set the example to the youth and when he retires in a few years you find your next face of the team.

I love the idea of retreading Williams.

However, in Carolina this is the type of signing that happens when we missed what we really wanted in a first liner. Oh man if we could only have our cake and eat it too.

Edited by legend-1

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

No Kovi. I'd rather have Hainsey back than M Staal.

I'd rather have Liles back than Hainsey (not that I think Liles is our optimal choice).  While I appreciate Hainsey's efforts in Carolina, I think he's reached a point where his deficiencies outweigh his strengths for our system.

Good mix of tangibles and intangibles with Justin Williams.  He doesn't need to be the big target, but if he could be had in addition to Dudeman (whoever Dudeman happens to be), we'd be looking pretty darned good up front.

Agreed with Lake - Liles over Hainsey, but preferably neither.  I'd just as soon have 2 of the yutes thrown in.

• Like 1

I too enjoyed Hainsey while he was here(usually), but think this may be his Last Hurrah. I think I agree with realm, I'd like 2 more yutes up next year, Fleury + 1.

After Whitney I am going to be careful talking about declining production from guys on the wrong side of 35. Williams would be a great addition, but he cannot be "the' move. In fact, if we end up letting Stempniak walk, he'd be a nice replacement, but we need a bigger move up front.

I do love the idea of Neiderrieter. I have trouble thinking he'd be available, but he put up 25 goals last year and is just coming into his prime. That would be a good one. But I do not want to give up Hanifin. I would not move Hanifin for anything less than a Draisaitl level player, and that trade isn't there.

I'll pine for Oshie till he's signed somewhere else. 

Edited by remkin

rem, I'm with you on Oshie, but see him mentioned on just about every website not in finals yet? Think that is yours and my "pipe dream". Neiderrieter would be an ironic sign as I recall how much desire there was for him from this board, in his draft year?

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

After Whitney I am going to be careful talking about declining production from guys on the wrong side of 35. Williams would be a great addition, but he cannot be "the' move. In fact, if we end up letting Stempniak walk, he'd be a nice replacement, but we need a bigger move up front.

Agree.  And Mrs. Wxray was just pondering adding him as depth, not #1.   We still need the guy.

I didn't even think of the concept of an interim captain.  That may or may not work.  I gotta think about that.

I will let the Mrs. know of your general good thoughts about her idea.  She'll be thrilled.   Really!   I've watched her grow from hating all sports, to having an incredible in-depth pulse on the Canes and NHL.  I got lucky and got a good one. :)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Good mix of tangibles and intangibles with Justin Williams.  He doesn't need to be the big target, but if he could be had in addition to Dudeman (whoever Dudeman happens to be), we'd be looking pretty darned good up front.

Agreed with Lake - Liles over Hainsey, but preferably neither.  I'd just as soon have 2 of the yutes thrown in.

Just my opinion, but if I'm JWilly I'm retiring. 35 years old, three Cups, and a reputation as Mr. Game 7. Take me to my island, Jeeves--only to return if/when there's an HHOF induction.

But...

Seeing as Mr. K believed in him early there'd be nice symmetry if he finished with us. From Wikipedia:

Williams was drafted in the sixth round, 125th overall, by the Plymouth Whalers in the 1998 OHL Priority Selection. Williams was signed as a 16-year-old by the Whalers and split time between the OHL club and their affiliate Compuware Jr. A. club (NAHL) in the 1998–99 season. He finished his Juniors hockey with two seasons played for the Plymouth Whalers of the Ontario Hockey League.

My inclination is to say move on from the old team In Justin Williams case I'm not so sure I wouldn't make an exception

G      A      Pts

2012-2013     LAK     48     11     22     33    
2013-2014     LAK     82     19     24     43    
2014-2015     LAK     81     18     23     41    
2015-2016     WSH     82     22     30     52    
2016-2017     WSH     80     24     24     48

I know age will catch up to him but right now it doesn't look like he is slowing down.  He was making 3.2 mil   We would still need a center.  I wonder if he would consider a one year deal.

* add: I don't think this is the direction we will go