The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

40 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Single payer health care in Canada; makes sense Bick's goes back home to Canada. Unless he is employed with full health care benny's down here he cannot afford to stay.

Politics.  <edit> I deleted my needless rant.  Agree with our mods, let's stay away.  I like my sports politics free.

If I had MS and had a child, I'd be going back to my family and near grandparents.  I don't know what Bicks' reasons are, and nobody else does either.  It does sound like RF left a door open to the possibility to serve here in some capacity after the dust settles.  We'll see.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

Record Comparison from last season and this:

GM   W     L     OTL   PTS  ROW    SOW      SOL HOME       ROAD       GF     GA    DIFF  LAST10

2016-17 Carolina     82    36    31    15      87     33          3            6    23-12-6    13-19-9    215    236    -21    4-4-2   
2015-16 Carolina     82    35    31    16      86     33          2            5    19-15-7    16-16-9    198    226    -28    4-4-2

47 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

Peters: Draft prospects and the farm can not provide the help we need to be competitive in a very tough conference. Ron has his work cut out for him to acquire NHLers in the off season to make the team better.

I'm not sure if it is driven by design or opportunity but adding a few key pieces via trade or acquisition is classic rebuild strategy.  I was worried we may of thought we hadn't reached that stage yet and would rely on another on the job training season.  Appears we are ready to make moves.

Even though their records are almost identical, the eye test tells me that this years team was better than last years team.  And hockey games are affected by random variation so much more than other sports that I can easily see that dynamic accounting for a swing of, say, 4-8 points over the course of a season. Even if true, Canes still need to add a couple of pieces in order to get where we need to be next year.     

How "they" see it

1 hour ago

Peters and Francis make their offseason shopping list pretty clear: Top-six center, 20-goal winger, 5/6 defensemen, goalie.

1 hour ago

Peters says lot of time will be spent analyzing three-on-three overtime strategy. "It needs to be better and will be better."

1 hour ago

Peters clearly was intimating that the team needs a top-line center. Francis mused about adding another guy who could add 20-plus goals

1 hour ago

Biggest off-season priority? Goaltending needs a fix. Goals against was 18th, save percentage was 27th

1 hour ago

Francis on flexibility with contracts, finances: "We're in a good position this year to do some things."

1 hour ago

Peters says Lindholm will play on wing, permanently. Doesn't think Aho is ready to play center regularly yet.

1 hour ago

Peters says lot of time will be spent analyzing three-on-three overtime strategy. "It needs to be better and will be better."

1 hour ago

Francis on the schedule: "We can hopefully get two or three home games in earlier in the year." No word on if could play during fair.

26 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Peters says Lindholm will play on wing, permanently. Doesn't think Aho is ready to play center regularly yet.

Won't have a chance to listen for a while, but that is interesting. "permanently" sounds pretty definitive. I thought he looked pretty good at center, but clearly Peters doesn't agree. If this is true, then we need a IC. Plain and simple.

36 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I'm not sure if it is driven by design or opportunity but adding a few key pieces via trade or acquisition is classic rebuild strategy.  I was worried we may of thought we hadn't reached that stage yet and would rely on another on the job training season.  Appears we are ready to make moves.

Tbh, I don't see RF making any waves in the Free Agent market. Maybe a scrap piece if he is lucky. The biggest competition all the GMs seem to face this off-season is McPhee/Vegas, who proclaimed a month ago that money will not be an issue to get all the FA pieces they need to complement their expansion draft picks and to wheel and deal in trades. Time will tell I guess.    

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

Won't have a chance to listen for a while, but that is interesting. "permanently" sounds pretty definitive. I thought he looked pretty good at center, but clearly Peters doesn't agree. If this is true, then we need a IC. Plain and simple.

I will have to go back and listen. I heard it a little differently but he certainly indicated for now Lindy is better on wing and that is where he going to play. I have always thought that but I also thought his play at center was better this season. I haven't always been that high on Lindy but this year he seems to be coming into his own.

I thought it was pretty funny when Bill Peters was all like "Yeah we got like 8 picks, 7 picks here in the first 80 something picks in this years draft.. I'm hoping we use 3 of them... 2? 2 of them?" RF laughed and then Bill followed it up with basically "Yeah, you can tell which way we're leaning and how our talk will go after this based on that"

Also, he made a point to explain the whole players exposed in the draft who can be flipped for a pick to prevent losing them for nothing in ExDraft. Says they won't get them all, or need them all, but they will definitely get some.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

So RF and BP are saying all the same stuff we have been saying on this board about what we need this summer.  Easier said than done.  RF is going to feel the stress of his job this summer trying to fill all those holes.  I think he will do it one way or another. I'm very optimistic this is our last non playoff year for a while.

If you want to listen to the press conference, this link gets you there: https://canespr.com/category/audio/

I have now heard it and here are some thoughts.

Francis lead with the goalie issue. 18th in defense, 27th in save percentage. I think he will not make the mistaking of liking his group of goalies again. There will be a new goalie here to start the the year from what I heard. I have to think Francis tries to find a legit #1, not another possibility to give Cam a fight for his job. We will also have a new goalie coach.

Outside of goalie, Francis was playing the close to the vest, "talk GM speak, but not really say much" card most of the time.

Peters, however, pulled no punches. Pulling the Peter's comments together with a kicker from Francis:

Paraphrased: If you think what we need to close the gap is coming from our guys in the AHL, it's not. That's the reality. We need to go get a guy. Trade just about the entire draft if you have to, we don't need more 3rd rounders, we need goal scoring talent. We need specific needs. I know what we need, and we need to go out and get it. The expansion draft will make guys available that would not normally be out there. We have draft picks, prospects and cap space. Ron needs to roll up his sleeves and go get some.

Lindy is not best at center. Aho will dominate at center, but not for a couple of years. Rask will be ok. (My read: we need a top center).

Francis: Bill and I are on the same page on this. Need to upgrade up front.

Peters also specifically praised Hanifin after the deadline as very good. So my eyes were not totally deceiving me on that one.

Francis talked about our great top 4 on D and needing to figure out 5-6. That did not sound like a guy about to trade Faulk OR Hanifin (let alone Slavin or Pesce).

I also favor emptying a lot of chaff from the picks/prospects to come up with at least two players of NHL quality: scorer and goalie.

My prediction is that Francis will trade picks and prospects, and try to come up with a goalie and the best center he can get, and possibly move in a new winger (I say this because Peters really seemed to imply more than one forward piece was needed). But he will be very slow to trade any of our top 4 dmen.

Edited by remkin

Thanks for the summary, Rem.  I missed the beginning.  Sounds like I need to restart as the juicy stuff was up front.

Just listened to it, very pleased with what was said.  RF seemed to start out in semi GM-speak mode, but Peters was mega candid.  Matter of fact, the biggest surprise to me was the extent to which Peters essentially called out RF to add certain pieces.  To the extent (at least to my ears) that I almost wonder if Peters had specific past requests that RF didn't satisfy. 

Like I said, I like what they said, now we'll see how well they execute.

Edited by LakeLivin

If we read between the lines with Lindholm staying on Staal's RW, a center will be a need. This year's FA center stable is pretty empty.  Thornton would be a great addition for leadership and that huge goal screening forward we need.  Being in the twilight he may want to get to a for sure cup contender team.

so a trade will be the way to go. 

Minnesota cant re-sign Granlund and Nino. He is good and young but he'll start a healthy size debate.

Kopitar- nope

Columbus cant protect all their forwards.  They have Gagner, Jenner, and Wennberg.  All good options.

Duchene- don't want to start up the debate again

Tampa will have protection and cap issues. Tyler Johnson-see Granlund. Maybe pry Namestinkov? He will need to re-signed next year.  He is 24. A little of a stretch as far as being that automatic bump into the playoffs but he could be 50+ point guy.

Rangers really want Shattenkirk but cant afford him plus their RFAs and roster fill.  How about getting either Stepan or Zibanejad?  Both fill the same slot and made expendable with Hayes killing it. Maybe get Klien on D at the same time. Veteran that could play number 5.  They'll need to move a D man to get Shattenkirk. Although they'll want to move a pricier guy.

just the options off the top of my head.  

Must agree with the current trending conversation.  I was ultra-pissed about Peters calling out Lack in the manner he did, but I think it's just in this scenario.  Fans need to have some sort of knowledge that this team is going to take the steps necessary to make a push towards the playoffs.  And I've said it towards the end of the regular season, and i'll say it again.  I think if GMRF makes the necessary moves to acquire the necessary players, this will go down as the season that has drawn the line in the sand.  This season, which has allowed the team to be healthy, to completely take out the what-ifs.  I think we know what to expect out of each player going forward, which gives RF the blueprint to build around.  That's how I was able to call on the first page exactly what RF and BP were talking about before the conference, it's that obvious.

Going forward, the one knock I have on RF other than making a bold move, was a hunch that I think he's relying too much on analytics to mold this team.  I just hope Tlusky isn't telling him 2 35pt scorers gets us in.  I think he's either realizing what we have is legit good enough to get over the hump with resources available to him, or he's starting to feel the pressure of having to keep selling the fans the same story with no results.  Either way, I predict we'll trade for MAF instead of getting in a bidding war with UFA's, will get 1 40-50pt center that will be received with split opinions by the board, a winger that we'll probably be underwhelmed with, a solid 3rd pairing RHD.

All I ask (and I don't think it's too much) is that we grab one of either Fleury, Bishop or Darling. Those are the best goaltenders available, in my mind.

Then, let's sign one top-six forward and a veteran d-man for the 5/6 slot, and we'll be good to go!

Listening now.  Other tidbits...

- 5 guys committed so far to play in worlds.  Maybe 2 more.  3 turned them down. 

- One of the first things BP says is "I'm looking forward to camp, being in camp from start of camp..."  (wxray: ABOUT TIME!)

- Loved BP's slap at the media for the question of: "So Slavin's numbers are good because he plays protected minutes, right?"  (ha ha)

- BP very clear "We need new pieces.  They are not going to come from the American league.  Hey Ron, hint, hint, we have draft picks to trade, right?"

I can't believe that Peters went off script with his comments on trading picks and prospects for players.  I have to believe that is the conversation behind closed doors and Francis can't come right out and say that.  Peters wants the media and fans to know that the future is now.  Francis doesn't show his hand.

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

I can't believe that Peters went off script with his comments on trading picks and prospects for players.  I have to believe that is the conversation behind closed doors and Francis can't come right out and say that.  Peters wants the media and fans to know that the future is now.  Francis doesn't show his hand.

Yeah, Peters was way more direct than I'd have predicted.  I also got the sense that Peters was probably doing one or both of:

• pressuring RF by going so public
  • guarding against taking most of the hit if RF doesn't get the needed pieces

If RF wasn't his boss I wonder if Petrers would have said:

Your players are out there working their bag off. You better get some legitimate top 6 forwards and a #1 goalie wouldn’t hurt . . . Make a @&%ing trade!.  :P

edit: fixed it. thanks realm, that's much better

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Yeah, Peters was way more direct than I'd have predicted.  I also got the sense that Peters was probably doing one or both of:

• pressuring RF by going so public
  • guarding against taking most of the hit if RF doesn't get the needed pieces

If RF wasn't his boss I wonder if Petrers would have said:

Your players are out there working their bag off. You better get some legitimate top 6 forwards and a #1 goalie wouldn’t hurt . . . Get some @$%ing players!.  :P

Make a @$%ing trade!

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

That's just good cop / bad cop scenario.

4 hours ago, ThrashCanes said:

All I ask (and I don't think it's too much) is that we grab one of either Fleury, Bishop or Darling. Those are the best goaltenders available, in my mind.

Then, let's sign one top-six forward and a veteran d-man for the 5/6 slot, and we'll be good to go!

I'm not sure if Darling will be available, but Crawford might be. Hawks might need the cap room that parting with Crawford would provide. Of course it may be Darling if Crawford won't waive his NMC. Maybe something like Crawford or Darling(signed) for Lack + our highest 2nd round pick, or you could go Fleury for Lack + giving Pens' second round pick back to them.

If a trade like this happens then both of the Canes goalies could be exposed to Vegas! :lol: