The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

4 hours ago, Manwolf said:

Read earlier this week NYR may move Derek Stepan.  One of the fan comments mentioned CAR, but asked for the moon (Faulk +).  In their view he is > Duchene (less O, but better 2 way, good in circle).  Thoughts as #2 Center?  

Banter....

If I'm shooting for a decent but not top name center, its Brayden Schenn.  Philadelphia needs to move a center with one of top 2 coming in.  They will more likely take picks and spects.  They have 8 million in space but need a top goalie, re-sign 3 RFAs and need a 5th defender.  Whoever their #2 pick is will have almost a million in cap hit as well.

After signing TT, we sit 5.5 million under the cap floor. Our top 4 is set (Slavin/Pesce, Faulk/Hanifin), and our bottom pairing most likely will include one of Bean, Fleury, or McKeown and a veteran guy to help their transition with Dahlbeck/Murphy as depth (just under 9m invested in our D until next season). At forward we got centers Staal, Rask and wingers Skinner, Lindholm, Aho, TT, Stempniak, and Nordstrom (just under 26m invested in our forwards). I also expect us to re-sign McGinn. On goaltending, we currently have 3 NHL goalies in Lack, Ward, and Darling (10m invested). And this is all before we lose a roster player in the ExDraft (Most likely Stempniak [2.5m] or Ward [3.3m]/Lack[2.75m]). And again, that's the cap floor. 

Any of you willing to do something like this:

To Cane - Galchenyuk, Avs 1st, Habs 1st

To Avs - Hanifin, Canes 1st

To Habs - Duchene, Pitt 2nd

Avalanche get the coveted young LHD defenseman, Habs get their coveted experienced true #1C, Canes get a young top six forward with contract control plus improvement of their futures. With those two firsts, we'd be able to draft another high end forward or rebalance our defense by pushing back one of the Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin contracts. Personally with both Fleury and Bean coming, I'd use both 1st on forwards; maybe Vilardi and Lind.

28 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

Avalanche get the coveted young LHD defenseman, Habs get their coveted experienced true #1C, Canes get a young top six forward with contract control plus improvement of their futures. With those two firsts, we'd be able to draft another high end forward or rebalance our defense by pushing back one of the Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin contracts. Personally with both Fleury and Bean coming, I'd use both 1st on forwards; maybe Vilardi and Lind.

In the world of what ifs I would consider this trade but in the real world I don't think it would happen. The AVs asking price would need to go way down from what they are rumored to want. A three way trade is difficult to work out but not impossible.  I don't see it happening but it is fun to play the what if game.

10 minutes ago, OBXer said:

In the world of what ifs I would consider this trade but in the real world I don't think it would happen. The AVs asking price would need to go way down from what they are rumored to want. A three way trade is difficult to work out but not impossible.  I don't see it happening but it is fun to play the what if game.

OBXer, Nashville's post season run showed what a strong defense can do for a team? With Hanafin making tremendous strides over last 20 games of the year, why would we potentially sacrifice a strong part of our game for Galchenyuk who may not bring the return for that trade, no matter if its a 2, 3 or other way trade? I don't get it?

I hope the only way we move Pesce or Hanifin is to get another top 4 in return and use their added value of not requiring protection to help get an O player.  

Minnesota comes to mind.  They have O to move and D to swap.  

1 hour ago, MinJaBen said:

Never happen.  That said, that Avs first could very easily end up being #1 overall.  It's a year away but what does next year's draft class look like?  If there's a McDavid coming up next year, this could be tempting.  But again, never happen.

The Nashville thing and Pierre talking nonstop about what a huge advantage a solid top 4 is has brought me around to a position where I don't want to trade any of our top 4.  I think we have a great shot at nearly the best top 4 in the league for years to come and we should not blow that.  If/when we can replace them with comparable, i.e. Fleury McKeown Bean then trade.  But not until proven.  After all, all it does is improve value in the trade to wait most of the time with D.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

OBXer, Nashville's post season run showed what a strong defense can do for a team? With Hanafin making tremendous strides over last 20 games of the year, why would we potentially sacrifice a strong part of our game for Galchenyuk who may not bring the return for that trade, no matter if its a 2, 3 or other way trade? I don't get it?

Again, I can't imagine this trade as presented has any chance. The real question in your reply is why would we potentially sacrifice a strong part of our game for Galchenyuk . I have been of the mind that we should keep our top four pair D- men and find another way to get our desired top forward but... we all think Hanifin is going to be a good maybe a very good D in the future.  The same can be said of Galchenyuk  as a center.

I guess first you have to ask can you replace Hanifin in another move, then you have to ask is Galchenyuk  upside worth the risk of his reported dissatisfaction with how the Habs are using him.  Galchenyuk - You know I'm not a wing I'm a forward.  Habs- Sure you are but not yet. If you conclude he is worth the risk, could address our center needs and will add top 6 play, well don't you at least need to consider it?

I suppose I'd consider, and you've summarized my thoughts exactly, but the key is CAN WE REPLACE HANAFIN,particularly as he's grown in his role WITH THOSE # OTHER GUYS? We know they have chemistry which I imagine is crucial in the defensive end. Again, does the POTENTIAL associated with Galchenyuk, and, as such, the RISK, offset the loss of a key piece in our top 4 defense?

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I suppose I'd consider, and you've summarized my thoughts exactly, but the key is CAN WE REPLACE HANAFIN,particularly as he's grown in his role WITH THOSE # OTHER GUYS? We know they have chemistry which I imagine is crucial in the defensive end. Again, does the POTENTIAL associated with Galchenyuk, and, as such, the RISK, offset the loss of a key piece in our top 4 defense?

No you cannot.  Why do you think Tampa did the trade they just did? 

13 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

No you cannot.  Why do you think Tampa did the trade they just did? 

Tampa did it because:

they needed talent that wouldn't require protection 

they need cap space 

they needed defense

Rumor milled to move Drouin's problematic personality

the only way to solve that is with a ELC Dman.  Not too many of those changing hands or worth Drouin's talent level.  Our 3 have more value than Drouin.

• Like 1

I would consider that trade, if and only if, I were able to get a top-4 defenseman in a separate trade.  Names I've seen floated about as potentially available:  Seabrook, Hjalmersson, Brodin, Dumba (he may not fit the bill),  and a few others.  I read somewhere about a month ago that the Kings would consider trading Drew Doughty to get rid of a bad contract like Dustin Brown.  They are in salary cap jail right now with several long term, high dollar value contracts.  Obviously we would have to give up something of real value to get him, but if we were able to pick up him or one of the names above, we would have flexibility to trade a Hanifan for a #1 forward.

I am on record as not wanting to trade our current top 4 D. To me Slavin and Pesce are nearly untouchable due to their phenomenal shut down. Put them in front of a good goalie, like, say Darling, and considering how well J plays defensively? We will just slam the door on other team's top lines. That leaves Faulk, who probably has the trade value to get what we need or Hanfin. But Faulk played much better D at the end of the year, and does everything else way way better than McKeown our next RHD up. And Hanifin has elite potential.

So, sure if Edmonton wants to trade us Draisaitl for Hanifin, fine. I'd risk Fleury at #4 D if we got that. But not for Galchenyuk.

While is it true that Nashville almost won the cup with a great top 4 D man, Pittsburgh did win the cup with D by committee, with their best D man out the whole series, and slow feet Hainsey as a key defender.

I'm wondering If Francis almost has to take Fleury and add on picks and prospects to get our guy.

Or just sign Oshie and keep everybody....I know, I know, but it could happen!

53 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Now this is funny.  :rolleyes:

Earlier, before the trade deadline I was up for considering a Faulk trade, but even then was ambivalent about it. Of course it's also about return. But since Faulk played much better defensively I've been against it. I've never advocated trading Slavin or Pesce or Hanifin. I changed my mind a bit on Faulk. Whatever, just one opinion, but that's been my position for months now.

Edited by remkin

Seems as if things are starting to heat up now? Scary thing is, like always, the Canes are rarely brought into the conversation. Here's hoping RF is not shut out of moves by his deliberate style, but IRWT.

Trade freeze starts at 3pm tomorrow with protection lists due in at 5.  Is there going to be a flurry of activity between now and then, or was the "ex-draft effect" over hyped?  We'll know shortly!

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Trade freeze starts at 3pm tomorrow with protection lists due in at 5.  Is there going to be a flurry of activity between now and then, or was the "ex-draft effect" over hyped?  We'll know shortly!

I understand Carolina doesn't get a lot of rumors posted because we don't draw the eye balls.  

I have an odd feeling we'll have a less than hopeful offseason.  

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I think you can still make deals with Vegas (although you won't know about them) in an attempt to influence them away from picking someone and once the trade freeze is lifted Vegas could become a trade partner. Interesting times.

There is an expansion draft topic HERE

Lake, I'm with you. Once the league is notified of who teams are protecting, our window to make a deal with anyone with players they cannot afford to protect closes, doesn't it. This means something will happen tomorrow or whatever Ronnie has in mind is more of a true hockey trade. We'll see, and soon. 

I'm on board with those who don't want to trade one of our top 4 D. Slavin and Pesce have had obvious chemistry from the get go, and Hanifin and Faulk really seemed to mesh as a pair after Hainsey was traded. If Faulk tightens up his D, he brings soooo much to the table that is almost impossible to find ... Puck moving defenseman, PP quarterback, and that bomb of a shot. And a RHD. After watching JR piece together defense from other teams' spare parts for years, we have a chance to have 4 guys with synergy (and talent) nail down the top 4 for years to come. I can't think of who it would take not named Matthews or McDavid to break up this group.

Since Colorodo has failed to get their high asking price for Duchene or Landeskog, I could see one or both of them moving for something like Fleury, an offensive prospect and a pick. Colorodo is about where we were 3 years ago, and loading up on prospects and futures makes sense for them. Picking up one of those guys without losing a roster player would be awesome. But I think RF has something in the works, and it will probably be someone no one here saw coming. Just hope he does something soon, because all the anticipation is killing me!