OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

16 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Tampa did it because:

they needed talent that wouldn't require protection 

they need cap space 

they needed defense

Rumor milled to move Drouin's problematic personality

the only way to solve that is with a ELC Dman.  Not too many of those changing hands or worth Drouin's talent level.  Our 3 have more value than Drouin.

Drouin was always going to end up in Montreal. He'll retire there as the Captain who extended the Habs' already legendary mediocrity. But unlike Pacioretty, he's Quebecois (Max's closest connection is a French-Canadian Grandma)--so the fans will proudly bask in underachievement, instead of complaining about it.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I understand Carolina doesn't get a lot of rumors posted because we don't draw the eye balls.  

I have an odd feeling we'll have a less than hopeful offseason.  

Being under the cap floor, and then scraping the cap floor also causes a write off of our team.  Can't say the pundits are wrong, either.

Don't worry though, even though PK is cheap, he's announced a grand celebration this year for the XX anniversary.  Thousands of dollars will be spent on this grand event.   He's happy about the last 20, and looking forward to the next 20.  All is well.  Ignore the man behind the curtain. 

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Drouin was always going to end up in Montreal. He'll retire there as the Captain who extended the Habs' already legendary mediocrity. But unlike Pacioretty, he's Quebecois (Max's closest connection is a French-Canadian Grandma)--so the fans will proudly bask in underachievement, instead of complaining about it.   

I was trying to find a way to say this, but my writing is terrible.  As usual, top-shelf says it best!

10 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I understand Carolina doesn't get a lot of rumors posted because we don't draw the eye balls.  

I have an odd feeling we'll have a less than hopeful offseason.  

I hate to say it, but you're probably right.  If I'm Franchise, and I don't get any of the players via trade or free agency that I am hoping for, I'm going on record afterwards saying publically "we tried to trade for players W,X,Y,Z from teams A,B,C,D...but their price was too high, or those players didn't want to come here."  I know it's a huge risk, but the fan base deserves to know that he's doing everything he can and others just aren't playing ball.

Just now, PenaltyKiller17 said:

For what it's worth, I did read a rumor about Carolina contacting NYR about Rick Nash.

Oh hell no!  Look at his production since his trade to the Rags...other than 2014-15...his asking price and that monster contract are too high.

I am scouring the internet for my latest fix, hoping to see some chatter about the Hurricanes.  Alas, it is not there.  I am also reading about perhaps Karmanos and his self-imposed budget.  At the end of the day, I also understand that GMRF and the Canes organization does not leak information like some others.  Granted we all could see the Darling move as a possibility, but when it happened it was a big surprise (except for one poster who nailed it a year ago).

Even if we do not do any trading today, perhaps we will be able to do something else.  I honestly would be shocked if we didn't acquire a defenseman for the bottom pairing. Right now, we have ONE work protecting (Faulk).  We have two slots to use, and as much as like Trevor Carrick, we should not be using a protection slot on him because we have no one else to use it on.  Hell, trade for a UFA's rights and use it on him....

Just saw another rumor about Carolina actively looking for a top 6 forward.  Three names that were mentioned are Landeskog, Stepan, and an outside chance of JVR.  For what it's worth, I agree that I wouldn't be overly excited about Nash.

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

For what it's worth, I did read a rumor about Carolina contacting NYR about Rick Nash.

Many years ago I would be drooling, right now he is over the hill and a financial drain. 33 years old and 8.2 mil. Not even a consideration.

I do think our low budget, small market situation, combined with Francis' close-to-the-vest style, leads to fewer rumors than a bigger market with a more open GM. Also, years of el cheapo followed by trying to off load bad contracts and compile picks and prospects, combined with the low odds of any team, let alone us, getting the prime UFA's, combined with Francis thus far sticking firm to phase one of the rebuild, has all lead to a sense that nothing much will happen. I get it, and unlike last year, this year I have no special knowledge, just guessing like everyone else.

But the signals are different this year, and so far Francis has stuck to his word, even if it has been a bit low key, so I think he will this year too. But again, this year the word is notably different than in the past. Last year he said that he was not looking to make a splash. He was sticking with the plan of draft, hold assets, clear space. He said he didn't think he was going to change up goalies. He stuck with both of those.

This year he has said he realizes we need a 20-25 goal scorer, and we needed to find a true #1 goalie. He's already made the goalie move. Here's the thing. Goals are harder to come by recently. 25 goals puts a guy in the top 50 in the league. By oversimple math the top 90 in the league are first line. If Francis is really going for that, he has to get someone pretty good. Further, Peters pretty much threw down the public gauntlet saying, (paraphrased)"to compete in the metro we need more firepower, and don't look to our prospects for what we need. I hope we hardly use any picks on drafting, but use them to get what we need now." Francis then said he and Peters were on the same page.

In addition to Francis' and Peters' words, there is our situation. Last year was disheartening in terms of attending games. Remembering those magical years with playoff runs, going to the PNC last year was, at times, like looking at the empty remains of a once proud coliseum. This fan base needs a kick. It needs a stimulus for a re-charge.  The thing is, that our modus: slow starts, also kill any buzz around the team. This is a team that needs: A. A splash move that excites the fan base. B. A fast start that generates interest around the team early. Why? Because it has to build. Generally, it seems that people start coming to games more in the back half of the year. So if the team has been doing well from the jump, and interest has built, by January, attendance will start building.

On the flip side, if Francis just "likes his group", most fans paying attention will be bummed out. Sure, if the team jumps out, interest might still build, (though from a lower base), but if the team starts slow again, having made no move for a forward? Bah, humbug. Here we go again. When is the team moving? etc etc. And the PNC will sound like a practice during game day.

Unless Karmonos has already charted a move out of Raleigh, this is THE off-season to make some sort of splash. No, it probably won't be us trading for Ovechkin, but we need to get at least a top 90 forward, ideally top 60 or better.

I'm still betting we do.

Edited by remkin

10 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I know Rem.  RF can trade up in the draft and sign TJ Oshie.  

You'd have to admit that would be pretty sweet if it happened. :beach:

11 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Just read another rumor involving Carolina/Arizona involving taking on Marian Gaborik's contract.  They'd have to throw in their 1st if we're eating that salary.

Did you mean LA? I thought Gaborik was in LA?

Edit: AWAC beat me to it. LA?

Edited by remkin

Ah, got it. If we got their #11 pick, we'd have some options.

Most likely try to throw the #12 pick into a deal for a forward.

OR just for fun, using the point system for trading up, the #11 and #12 picks combine to equal the #2 pick. Given Patrick's injury history? Lots of noise he drops to #2. Could be a chance to, in some ways actually get the #1 pick in this draft. Just spitballin' here, but if that kid stays healthy he projects as an All Star #1 center by many.

Edited by remkin

Coastal, I look at many, but the Carolina rumors I'm getting from @RumorBreak on twitter.  The guy has had his moments of being right.

The theme I'm getting from rumor shopping is that Carolina is in on some of the players mentioned, but they haven't been the loudest about it.  I think Carolina will get one really good player, and another that us fans won't be over the top about.

One player I wouldn't mind Carolina acquiring is Dan Girardi.  He'd be a good 3rd pairing Dman that could compliment Fleury, and move up in the top 4 in case of injury.

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Yes Remkin, LA has been talking to Carolina and Arizona about Gaborik.  I would only do it for a 1st, then flip the pick.

Hmmm Gaborik would be a tough sell. He is owed 16 million of the last 4 years of his deal. He'll turn 39 during his last year. Also he has only played in 68% of games the last 2 seasons at a 0.375 PPG pace.

if we could pull off Rem's dream and trade the 11 and 12 to get Philly's pick, it may be worth it.  If Gaborik was in a stage where he was making significantly less that his cap, it could be worth it.  

Man if Gaborik was just going to retire and we only had to eat his cap, that could be worth it.  We aren't getting within 5 million of the cap ceiling 

I like My NHL Trade Rumors because they're pretty good at compiling rumors from mostly decent sources.

If Francis is going to trade for that guy, and if we assume for the moment we aren't moving our top 4 D, then the main trade pieces would be:

Our first round pick, Fleury, Bean, Gauthier and maybe Roy, then a gaggle of later picks. We have many other pieces, but those would seem to have the most value.

I think it might come down to how much return Fleury can bring as to whether we need to give up our first rounder. Fleury is sort of in the prime trade zone for us, but not sure he gets prime return. For us, we don't need him now, and we have Bean coming up for later.

I'd be really surprised if we trade down unless that is a part of a deal for an NHL player.

I like quite a few of the top half forwards in this draft, and wouldn't mind getting one. If that picks gets us the guy we need this year in a trade, that would be good. If we get that guy and still get to pick at #12, that would be even better.

Edited by remkin
  • Like 1

I don't think its expansion related so ill drop it here:

coyotes got someone to freely take Smith's contract and get a good return out of it.

Arizona is going to need to pick up some serious cap eaters this year. They are down to 20 million. They have a couple of RFAs to sign still.

5 hours ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Coastal, I look at many, but the Carolina rumors I'm getting from @RumorBreak on twitter.  The guy has had his moments of being right.

The theme I'm getting from rumor shopping is that Carolina is in on some of the players mentioned, but they haven't been the loudest about it.  I think Carolina will get one really good player, and another that us fans won't be over the top about.

4 hours ago, remkin said:

I like My NHL Trade Rumors because they're pretty good at compiling rumors from mostly decent sources.

Thanks!