Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

Recommended Posts

I don't see RF taking a chance on his goalie solution which is exactly what MAF would be. He was garbage this year, worse then Ward. RF while still beloved would likely get raked over the coals if his goalie fix doesn't at least improve things this time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing we haven't mentioned very much is the possibility of more staff changes. I don't necessarily think there will be but in the news conference it wasn't exactly an unconditional vote of confidence. We know Marcoux is gone and can't see any indication Peters is going anywhere.  As for the rest of the staff and bench coaches I guess we will just need to wit and see.

 

Quote

Francis said the contract of goaltending coach David Marcoux will not be renewed. Additional coaching staff decisions have yet to be made. "I met with Steve Smith, Rod Brind'Amour and David Marcoux individually since the end of the season. I usually give Bill some time between the end of the season and when we meet to sort of take the emotions out of it. We'll meet at some point and discuss the staff and direction we want to go there," Francis said.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I don't see RF taking a chance on his goalie solution which is exactly what MAF would be. He was garbage this year, worse then Ward. RF while still beloved would likely get raked over the coals if his goalie fix doesn't at least improve things this time.

 

 

 

This. I watched him as many times as possible after his name came up in trade discussions.  Ward was much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OBXer said:

As for the rest of the staff and bench coaches I guess we will just need to wit and see.

 

I don't think Steve Smith gets enough credit and if we let him go I would be totally dumbfounded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

 

I don't think Steve Smith gets enough credit and if we let him go I would be totally dumbfounded.

I think the only way Steve Smith leaves is if he gets a chance as a head coach somewhere.

He's the reason our PK has been so good these past few seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

I think the only way Steve Smith leaves is if he gets a chance as a head coach somewhere.

He's the reason our PK has been so good these past few seasons.

 

And that isn't likely to happen until after the Canes make a complete recovery.

Edited by LakeLivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rocheccw said:

I'm not sure if Darling will be available, but Crawford might be. Hawks might need the cap room that parting with Crawford would provide. Of course it may be Darling if Crawford won't waive his NMC. Maybe something like Crawford or Darling(signed) for Lack + our highest 2nd round pick, or you could go Fleury for Lack + giving Pens' second round pick back to them.

 

If a trade like this happens then both of the Canes goalies could be exposed to Vegas! :lol:

 why wouldn't vegas just take darling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

 

I don't think Steve Smith gets enough credit and if we let him go I would be totally dumbfounded.

 

I would also be surprised if Steve Smith was let go. I'm not sure any of the bench coaches will be but mentioning the staff and I expect that includes trainers, etc does indicate they are under review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised we're even discussing Steve Smith. It's kind of like agreeing that we're not going to buy out Lindholm, lol.  Oops, I just went and did it again!

 

Imo the real speculation should be about whether Brindy gets some duties reassigned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, OBXer said:

 

I would also be surprised if Steve Smith was let go. I'm not sure any of the bench coaches will be but mentioning the staff and I expect that includes trainers, etc does indicate they are under review.

One reporter asked if the decrease in injuries this year might be due to differences in training.  RF said we'd added a new strength & conditioning coach, which might have helped.  So that position seems pretty safe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we make further coaching change this offseason (after letting Marcoux go) I feel it will be Rod and not Smith in the crosshairs. People need to separate everyone's love for Rod as a player and evaluate strictly on his contribution to the team as a coach. Smith coaches defense and PK, the brightest spots on the team. Rod coaches forwards and PP, which presumably includes our 3 on 3, which has been terrible. It's up to RF and BP to decide if Rod stays or goes, and I'm not advocating that he go, but we can't keep him on staff because he was a great player and fan favorite 8 plus years ago. Francis cut ties with Eric Staal, who lived with him as a rookie. I don't see him making staff decisions based on emotion. After all, one more season out of the playoffs with all of the same shortcomings, and Francis may be on the chopping block.

 

on the goalie front, I don't see MAF as an option because of the size of his contract and the fact he has been supplanted on his own team. That could change if Murray's injury keeps him out for extended time in the playoffs and Fleury stands on his head. But there are a lot of young guys who have shown potential that will be traded or exposed to Vegas that we could give a shot without the big contract. Of course most of them played fewer games this year than Eddie did the year before we traded for him, and so far that has not worked out as hoped. I would not mind taking a run at Bishop. But one way or another, RF all but said we are giving someone else a shot next year. No one comes with a guarantee, but it sure looks like next year's goalie fix will not be to recycle the same guys who did not get the job done, which is what we did last summer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is surprising. Maybe that other strength and conditioning guy didn't like some of Friesen's methods.

 

I also agree with the general sentiment that Steve Smith is the man. He is going nowhere. I like Rod's frankness, but if anyone moves to a different slot I'd think it might be him. Seems more 50-50 on that.

Edited by remkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May have felt he was getting out of touch with up to date practices? Otherwise kinda confused by that. I thought he was going to be canned that one year we had what seemed like never ending hamstring and groin injuries maybe 4-5 years ago, figured after that he was untouchable.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is definitely difficult to tell what RF is going to do in regards to coaching and training staff. As rem pointed out we do have the new(ish) strength and conditioning guy in the system. We also have CuJo employed as a goalie consultant.  Maybe they step into the positions or maybe not. I think one thing is clear RF has finished the evaluation phase of this rebuilt and is now moving forward with putting his vision of team needs in place.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OBXer said:

It is definitely difficult to tell what RF is going to do in regards to coaching and training staff. As rem pointed out we do have the new(ish) strength and conditioning guy in the system. We also have CuJo employed as a goalie consultant.  Maybe they step into the positions or maybe not. I think one thing is clear RF has finished the evaluation phase of this rebuilt and is now moving forward with putting his vision of team needs in place.  

Francis mentioned that some positions were waiting on seeing what kind of time commitments some of the staff could give.  I wonder if that might have referred to Cujo as possible full time goalie coach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True about the Kings's contracts, but I would take Quick's contract if Drew Doughty was part of the deal.  But yeah, those contracts are awful...

 

 Also mentioned in the interview that we have 5 guys committed to the Worlds and two on the fence.  Any idea who?   They announced the first 15 selections yesterday with only 4 defensemen.  Pesce, Slavin, and Faulk are all better than any of the first 4 they named.  I could see a scenario where at least 2 if not 3 Hurricane defensemen named to the team.

Edited by ironman87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

One reporter asked if the decrease in injuries this year might be due to differences in training.  RF said we'd added a new strength & conditioning coach, which might have helped.  So that position seems pretty safe.  

RF implied that the new S&C coach might have helped keep the injuries down this season.  I wonder if his success played a part in Friesen not being renewed? 

 

edit: Actually, there's 2 listed, an Assistant Athletic Trainer and an Assistant Strength And Conditioning Coach / Fascial Stretch Therapist.  Sounds like at least one of them is new this year, perhaps the two worked out so well it made Friesen expendable.  

Edited by LakeLivin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ironman87 said:

True about the Kings's contracts, but I would take Quick's contract if Drew Doughty was part of the deal.  But yeah, those contracts are awful...

 

 Also mentioned in the interview that we have 5 guys committed to the Worlds and two on the fence.  Any idea who?   They announced the first 15 selections yesterday with only 4 defensemen.  Pesce, Slavin, and Faulk are all better than any of the first 4 they named.  I could see a scenario where at least 2 if not 3 Hurricane defensemen named to the team.

 

 

According to what i just heard on Spectrum sports, Hanifin confirmed for US and Pesce is considering, while Lindholm, Nordstrom, Rask, and Lack will all go for Sweden.  He didn't name the 7th guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if Slavin begged out for some reason?  He would be the #1 defenseman of the US considering who else is on the team.  For some strange reason I actually like watching that tournament.  Probably because we are always sending someone to it since we never make the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, he might be the other guy who's considering it, or perhaps one of the 3 who declined - dudeman didn't say.

 

While we all know Hanifin has mucho potential, i think many of us would say that at this point he's our 4th-best defenseman.  Man, wouldn't it say something about our defensive future if we sent 4 defensemen?  Though i'd really rather have them all there fresh on day 1 of camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

Wonder if Slavin begged out for some reason?  He would be the #1 defenseman of the US considering who else is on the team.  For some strange reason I actually like watching that tournament.  Probably because we are always sending someone to it since we never make the playoffs.

Mark Armstrong on ABC11 said that "Slavin declined".  No reason given.

 

The way he is playing, I find it hard to believe it is injury.  Just guessing here: he's a very well rounded individual who tries to keep balance in faith and family, aside from his hockey life.  It may just be he needs that time away.  (Guessing!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...