The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

We got a goalie coach

Canes Hire Mike Bales as Goaltending Coach

"Mike has a proven history of success as a goaltending coach with the Penguins, winning back-to-back Stanley Cups," said Francis. "Based on our research, we are confident that he is someone our goalies and coaching staff will enjoy working with, and we're thrilled to have him in our organization."

Just saw the news on Mike Bales. Nice! We got pieces from the last 2 Stanley Cup teams. RF is certainly not sitting on his hands this summer,

Now I think I understand

In 2012-13, finished his ECHL season and joined the as a playoff black ace. The goalie coach there? Mike Bales.

So Darling & Bales worked together for nearly two months during the Baby Pens' run. Darling's AHL breakthrough came the following season.

So Bales has a little history with Darling and a history of winning with the Pens.

Yeah, that, and Bales was going to be replaced anyway with the guy that has been working with Murray.  Regardless, hope this works out with Darling.

I'm more intrigued in how the new strength and conditioning coaches can make a difference with our skaters.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yeah, that, and Bales was going to be replaced anyway with the guy that has been working with Murray.  Regardless, hope this works out with Darling.

I'm more intrigued in how the new strength and conditioning coaches can make a difference with our skaters.

I was wondering about why he was available. That explains it. Yup lets hope it works out for him and us.

Sometimes in life the cards stack up just right and you get a good hand.  I would say goal-tending gets a resounding checkmark off of RF's postseason punch-list of items to address.  Now, we need to see it work.

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Burniston and Bennet were both here last year, so it seems like if there are any big changes, you could kind of chalk it up to addition by subtraction (Friesen).  Maddox has been with Canes affiliates for a while but he's new to the parent club, so he might bring something new.

If you have ever followed Friesen's twitter account it doesn't surprise me he was replaced.  I don't think addition by subtraction applies and I remain intrigued by how moving forward maybe some of these players can show up to win in October.

I doubt very seriously these guys are handcuffed to the same ol same ol.  Which would be the definition of addition by subtraction.

Edited by coastal_caniac

18 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

If you have ever followed Friesen's twitter account it doesn't surprise me he was replaced.  I don't think addition by subtraction applies and I remain intrigued by how moving forward maybe some of these players can show up to win in October.

When I say "addition by subtraction" I'm mainly referring to whatever these guys do new this year that presumably they couldn't do last year under Friesen. 

Your talk about October get me wondering: any idea how big an influence the Canes staff has during the offseson?  I know some players stick around Raleigh, but don't a fair number access outside resources for their training over the summer?  Regardless, yeah, I'm all for anything that might contribute to lessening our October Blues.

Edited by LakeLivin

11 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

When I say "addition by subtraction" I'm mainly referring to whatever these guys do new this year that presumably they couldn't do last year under Friesen. 

Yes, agreed.  It's not about promoting from within as much as it is the organization is rebuilding, everywhere.

1 minute ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yes, agreed.  It's not about promoting from within as much as it is the organization is rebuilding, everywhere.

Yeah, the overall direction is looking extremely positive from where I sit.  Now if we can just figure out how to get an NHL grade practice facility, lol.

Here is a read from the N & O on our new goalie coach

Let go by Pens, Bales finds new job, challenge with Canes 

Bales said after talking to Canes general manager Ron Francis, he knew it was the right place, adding, “I liked the organization and the direction they’re going. I really want to help them get to the next level.”

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I saw that too, Sucka, and it kind of makes sense. For mentoring purposes.

That's the main reason why I prefer keeping Cam over Taco.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Interesting he moved on from Pittsburgh.  Hope this works well for Darling.

Probably got tired of Rutherford looking over his shoulder.

22 hours ago, remkin said:

I do think our low budget, small market situation, combined with Francis' close-to-the-vest style, leads to fewer rumors than a bigger market with a more open GM. Also, years of el cheapo followed by trying to off load bad contracts and compile picks and prospects, combined with the low odds of any team, let alone us, getting the prime UFA's, combined with Francis thus far sticking firm to phase one of the rebuild, has all lead to a sense that nothing much will happen. I get it, and unlike last year, this year I have no special knowledge, just guessing like everyone else.

But the signals are different this year, and so far Francis has stuck to his word, even if it has been a bit low key, so I think he will this year too. But again, this year the word is notably different than in the past. Last year he said that he was not looking to make a splash. He was sticking with the plan of draft, hold assets, clear space. He said he didn't think he was going to change up goalies. He stuck with both of those.

This year he has said he realizes we need a 20-25 goal scorer, and we needed to find a true #1 goalie. He's already made the goalie move. Here's the thing. Goals are harder to come by recently. 25 goals puts a guy in the top 50 in the league. By oversimple math the top 90 in the league are first line. If Francis is really going for that, he has to get someone pretty good. Further, Peters pretty much threw down the public gauntlet saying, (paraphrased)"to compete in the metro we need more firepower, and don't look to our prospects for what we need. I hope we hardly use any picks on drafting, but use them to get what we need now." Francis then said he and Peters were on the same page.

In addition to Francis' and Peters' words, there is our situation. Last year was disheartening in terms of attending games. Remembering those magical years with playoff runs, going to the PNC last year was, at times, like looking at the empty remains of a once proud coliseum. This fan base needs a kick. It needs a stimulus for a re-charge.  The thing is, that our modus: slow starts, also kill any buzz around the team. This is a team that needs: A. A splash move that excites the fan base. B. A fast start that generates interest around the team early. Why? Because it has to build. Generally, it seems that people start coming to games more in the back half of the year. So if the team has been doing well from the jump, and interest has built, by January, attendance will start building.

On the flip side, if Francis just "likes his group", most fans paying attention will be bummed out. Sure, if the team jumps out, interest might still build, (though from a lower base), but if the team starts slow again, having made no move for a forward? Bah, humbug. Here we go again. When is the team moving? etc etc. And the PNC will sound like a practice during game day.

Unless Karmonos has already charted a move out of Raleigh, this is THE off-season to make some sort of splash. No, it probably won't be us trading for Ovechkin, but we need to get at least a top 90 forward, ideally top 60 or better.

I'm still betting we do.

You might want to check your small market ideas against recent census findings. Raleigh is a much bigger city than Pittsburg and nearly as big as the combined census for the area market. 

1 hour ago, winger52 said:

You might want to check your small market ideas against recent census findings. Raleigh is a much bigger city than Pittsburg and nearly as big as the combined census for the area market. 

winger, if I might translate rem's "small market" comment, and it's a term frequently used for the RDU market, I don't think that refers to the literal term, but more so, the unified or lack thereof interest in the game of Hockey. Further, unification happens, as we've seen, with WINS plain and simple. 

1 hour ago, winger52 said:

Is Pittsburgh considered a large market?  I've never really thought of it as one.  It just has more history on its side, and a large contingent of bandwagon fans.

29 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Is Pittsburgh considered a large market?  I've never really thought of it as one.  It just has more history on its side, and a large contingent of bandwagon fans.

Uh, no.  Pittsburgh was within hours of being sold and moved no more than a year before they drafted Crosby.  We'll see after the bandwagon goes away.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Uh, no.  Pittsburgh was within hours of being sold and moved no more than a year before they drafted Crosby.  We'll see after the bandwagon goes away.

I hope they mire in NHL sewage for centuries to come...their fan base deserves it!

On 6/18/2017 at 8:24 AM, winger52 said:

According to the last census, only Buffalo and Calgary have smaller Metro populations. But they are packed with many more hockey fans per capita. But really there are more than one small market teams. But if you combine small market with non-traditional hockey market, you get Raleigh as the smallest according to 2010. On the flipside, Raleigh has been growing faster than any other NHL market, so 7 years later, we may have passed a few markets: Edmonton, Ottawa, etc, but again, those are dense hockey markets per capita.

According to these stats Pittsburgh Metro area is 2.3 million vs Raleigh 1.2 million.

http://statshockey.homestead.com/info/nhlcities.html

But the bigger point isn't that Raleigh is a bad market. It's growing and if the team is good I believe in the market.

The point is that the big markets are massively huger, and if your a UFA, you might look at that.

NY, Chicago, LA: all over 10 million.

Philly, Was, Tor over 6 milliion

Bos, Det, MTL, all over 4 million

All pretty good hockey market density (except LA).

I like our market, and can't wait for a full house with a winning team. But it's going to take just the right sort of UFA to want to come here.

Edited by remkin