The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

I expect GMRF to begin contract negotiations with them ASAP.  We could see a couple signed mid year to avoid all that mess.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Slavin on July 1st.

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Well Chicago is further jacked with their cap today.  They are being hit with a 3.558 million bonus overage to be applied to their cap this year.  Could we continue our Carolina Blackhawks line? If they are granted LTIR for Hossa they would be 1.5 million under the cap after the bonus overage is added.

They need winger and D depth.  I don't see us giving them TVR back (which we should be able to, if LV could trade them back why couldn't we).  How about we get a defender from LV, a 2019 2nd and Carrick, trade the defender with half cap hit and Nordstrom or McGinn for Anisimov?  Anisimov is 4.5 for 4 years and he is 29.  

The deal would save them 2 million in cap and use that with the 1.5 million space to get Gagner, who they favor.  

This is why I hope the McDavid salary rumor is true and someone offer sheets Draisaitl so the Oil have to match. The hell Chicago is in will pale in comparison to having two guys locked up for an even larger portion of the total cap. Add on some crap contracts for Lucic and RNH and there will be some awesome gnashing of teeth from the Oiler fans.

1 minute ago, MinJaBen said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Slavin on July 1st.

True. He has been the most consistent.  Hanafin and Lindholm may wait to maximize their value because they have been so inconsistent. Pesce is solid. It'll be interesting to see what he does.

4 minutes ago, MinJaBen said:

This is why I hope the McDavid salary rumor is true and someone offer sheets Draisaitl so the Oil have to match. The hell Chicago is in will pale in comparison to having two guys locked up for an even larger portion of the total cap. Add on some crap contracts for Lucic and RNH and there will be some awesome gnashing of teeth from the Oiler fans.

Wouldn't that pretty much force the Oil to trade RNH?  Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they'd have to give him away.  Not sure what demand would be, but based on interest in Duchene, seems like Isles, Preds, and Habs are all also in the market for a center and could afford his cap hit.     

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Wouldn't that pretty much force the Oil to trade RNH?  Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they'd have to give him away.  Not sure what demand would be, but based on interest in Duchene, seems like Isles, Preds, and Habs are all also in the market for a center and could afford his cap hit.     

Draisaitl, McDavid and RNH would be almost 30 million.  So their remaining 19 roster spots would have equal 45 million.  Easily doable.  Penns had 2 large contracts with 2 huge contracts 

10 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Draisaitl, McDavid and RNH would be almost 30 million.  So their remaining 19 roster spots would have equal 45 million.  Easily doable.  Penns had 2 large contracts with 2 huge contracts 

It can be done, but you have to get good value from each dollar spent. $6M for each of RNH and Lucic is not good value and would make it that much harder to put together a team that can get them to the cup. I don't think they have a good enough GM to get that done.

Brock McGinn is back.

875k 17-18

900k 18-19

2 more roster spots left.  Add a third if we have a guy riding the pine. 

Skins-Rask-Aho

??- Staal-Lindholm 

TT-??- Stempniak

McGinn-Ryan-Nordstrom 

or a variation of.

Edited by gocanes0506

Hmm, Pierre McGuire is reporting that if Oil pay McJesus $13.25m, other teams will offer sheet Draisaitl.  And that Oil have extended offer sheets in the past.  Ok, why not, lets give it a shot. :devil:

[but he also thinks McDavid will take less than the max in order to make the Oil more competitive]

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Hmm, Pierre McGuire is reporting that if Oil pay McJesus $13.25m, other teams will offer sheet Draisaitl.  And that Oil have extended offer sheets in the past.  Ok, why not, lets give it a shot. :devil:

[but he also thinks McDavid will take less than the max in order to make the Oil more competitive]

Welcome to the party. 

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

Welcome to the party. 

I haven't looked, but Canes might even be one of the more attractive teams with that much cap space available.

Resisting the temptation to answer the troll.  Don't do it, wxray.  Don't do it!

(And I don't mean you Lake or Gocanes.)

Edited by wxray1

13 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Resisting the temptation to answer the troll.  Don't do it, wxray.  Don't do it!

(And I don't mean you Lake or Gocanes.)

I know who you mean.  Don't do it wxray

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Brock McGinn is back.

875k 17-18

900k 18-19

2 more roster spots left.  Add a third if we have a guy riding the pine. 

Skins-Rask-Aho                            Skins -??-Aho

??- Staal-Lindholm                        ??- Staal-Lindholm 

TT-??- Stempniak                         TT-Rask- Stempniak

McGinn-Ryan-Nordstrom               McGinn-Ryan-Nordstrom

or a variation of.

Fixed that for ya, or at least one can still hope. :crossfingers:

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

I believe Sekera makes $4.5 million/ year for 3 more years, FWIW.

In 18-19 Edmonton would look like this:

McDavid 13.25

Draisaitl 9

RNH 6

Lucic 6

Sekera 5.5

rest of the roster: 22 million 

total 61.8 million 

That includes 1 goalie, 5 defenders, and 6 forwards.  Potentially 9 RFAs. They need to fill 6 forwards, 1 defender, and 1 goalie on 16 million (ill say that it goes up slightly since the nhl will never punish its big teams).  Basically 2 million per.  So it easily doable. That number goes down to 1.6 million per if they carry 22 people.  Definitely suck trying to fill 4 top 9 guys at at that budget.

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

RALEIGH, NC - Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with defenseman Philip Samuelsson on a one-year, two-way contract. The deal will pay Samuelsson $650,000 at the NHL level, or $160,000 at the American Hockey League (AHL) level, in 2017-18.