The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

RALEIGH, NC - Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with defenseman Philip Samuelsson on a one-year, two-way contract. The deal will pay Samuelsson $650,000 at the NHL level, or $160,000 at the American Hockey League (AHL) level, in 2017-18.

Talk about not even on my radar screen: gonna turn 26yo next month so not exactly a yute, has played in a total of only 13 NHL games, but we're paying him $160k at the AHL level. Supposedly a good shut down defender, but not an offensive threat. I sure didn't see this one coming.  Anyone know if RF was particularly close to Philip's dad Ulf?

6 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Talk about not even on my radar screen: gonna turn 26yo next month so not exactly a yute, has played in a total of only 13 NHL games, but we're paying him $160k at the AHL level. Supposedly a good shut down defender, but not an offensive threat. I sure didn't see this one coming.  Anyone know if RF was particularly close to Philip's dad Ulf?

Is that sarchasm? Ulf and RF go waaaaay back--to Hartford. And played together in Pittsburgh.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Not sure i understand this one.  He didn't look bad when i made it out to Bojangles, but i don't see wasting a contract on him, friend of the family or not.  Carrick and Chelios i see, but Samuelsson?  Another lefty who's like thirtieth on the depth chart or something...

Yeah talk about striking up the band. Never realized we'd traded Keegan Lowe. Phillip Samuelson? Shuffling the no-chancers. Charlotte seems to like him though. Good for them.

This is the year for McGinn and PDG to either show some more offense, or get pushed out in the numbers game next year.  While both of them have fallen short, both have also shown signs. Both also have been better than just about anyone else in Charlotte on a ppg basis. I continue to think Walmark gets a shot though. In addition to lots of accolades thrown at him from Peters and Francis about his hockey sense, after he had to be sent back down, they called him back up. He scored .69 ppg in Charlotte with 24 goals in 67 games. Substantially more than Zykov.

While I don't see McClement back here, I'd also take Stahlberg in a second, if we could.

We have 3 contract spots available.  One being a bench guy.  

My takes on cheap contracts that we will actually sign.

C Jiri Hudler- had some freaky viral infection messing with him. He has missed most of 2 seasons.  He'll sign a 1 year to get his name back.  Typically a 40-50 point guy.

C Mikhail Grigorenko- 23 and a failed 1st rounder so far.  But put up mid 20 points last 2 seasons. Low risk 2 years 3 million total deal. Starts at 4th line and if does well can move up to 3rd line.

RW Versteeg? Had a solid season with calgary.

Parenteau- older guy would do a 1 year deal 

maybe Grigorenko finally starts to put it together.  Jiri could come back strong and be a big value pick up.  Parenteau could be the same. Williams and Marleau will be cup chasing and we'll be out.

Skins-Rask-Aho

Lindholm-Staal-Stempniak 

TT-Hudler-Ryan

McGinn-Grigorenko-PA

Nordstrom riding the pine, PDG possibly too.  Decent pick ups that are right up our lane.  Should really sell the tickets too.

Franchise, I agree with you that until RF makes a splashy trade or UFA signing, it is hard to get excited or raise my expectations. I was expecting some magic between the expansion draft and the entry draft, but nothing. Okay, TVR but he is hardly a game changer. So the ball is in Ronnie's court to prove us both wrong, and I hope he does. Trevor Van Reimsdyk and Ron Darling, while solid moves, are not going to put butts in the seats at PNC next year. A trade for Duchene, Landeskog or Galchenyuk, along with say a Justin Williams signing would rally the fan base, I think. Bringing back Stalburg (though I did like him on the 4th line) and another "we like our team" presser will stick a fork in this market unless somehow, 3 or 4 guys elevate their game and we get out to a hot start. Time for Ronnie to show he can play with the big boys. 

• Like 2

I haven't counted contracts and I don't really know the rule on who counts and who doesn't. We are losing some contracts on July 1 and we know RF said they are working on the goalie situation so another contract goes when that happens. I did find this.

Total NHL contracts per team = 50 (including two-way contracts and NHL contracts in the minors), players who are meet the following three conditions do not count to this limit: 1. The player is 18 or 19 years of age. 2. Is in a junior league, and 3. who have not played 10 NHL games the current season

I'm not sure how that applies to our team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Franchise, I agree with you that until RF makes a splashy trade or UFA signing, it is hard to get excited or raise my expectations. I was expecting some magic between the expansion draft and the entry draft, but nothing. Okay, TVR but he is hardly a game changer. So the ball is in Ronnie's court to prove us both wrong, and I hope he does. Trevor Van Reimsdyk and Ron Darling, while solid moves, are not going to put butts in the seats at PNC next year. A trade for Duchene, Landeskog or Galchenyuk, along with say a Justin Williams signing would rally the fan base, I think. Bringing back Stalburg (though I did like him on the 4th line) and another "we like our team" presser will stick a fork in this market unless somehow, 3 or 4 guys elevate their game and we get out to a hot start. Time for Ronnie to show he can play with the big boys. 

I'm starting to consider my April 2018 vacation plans.

Not too happy right now.

Is Ulf Jr. really a player on an NHL arc?  Seems like he could be more of an AHL lifer and that's good money for the AHL.

edit: There sure is a lot of doom and gloom around here and training camp isn't even on the calendar.

12798123_1689161124672581_2141516769_n.thumb.jpg.268a1a831a74ec298e6bae9f8b4631f7.jpg

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Is Ulf Jr. really a player on an NHL arc?  Seems like he could be more of an AHL lifer and that's good money for the AHL.

edit: There sure is a lot of doom and gloom around here and training camp isn't even on the calendar.

12798123_1689161124672581_2141516769_n.thumb.jpg.268a1a831a74ec298e6bae9f8b4631f7.jpg

OK Donald Sutherland.  Here's something positive.  I have found these cool giant seed pods.  Come over to my house and take a nap.  You'll be happy ever after.

1 minute ago, wxray1 said:

OK Donald Sutherland.  Here's something positive.  I have found these cool giant seed pods.  Come over to my house and take a nap.  You'll be happy ever after.

You have snacks?

• Like 2

Sadly if Darling even shows up in the crease at all this year that by itself is enough to put the last 2 years teams in the playoffs. The number of games we lost from sub .900 SV% will make you want to yak. So I think the playoffs are very possible since the roster has no notable subtractions to it this year. 

I think we'll get smoked in the first round, but whatever it'll be playoffs.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

OK, I'll calm down and cancel my vacation plans.

I WILL have snacks ready next April.  On me!

With all the forward line combo's I am seeing here I don't see any drop the gloves toughness like a Scottie Hartnell type who can play and duke it out.  Without a forward (ideally two) willing to mix it up sans gloves when needed, will cost us a few games next season. Canes team is way too young not to have a bodyguard or two capable of playing 15 minutes a night.  Since there are no real big name UFA's Francis needs to focus on adding some toughness; will also help put some bodies in the rink on game day.

Edited by raleighcaniac

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Sadly if Darling even shows up in the crease at all this year that by itself is enough to put the last 2 years teams in the playoffs. The number of games we lost from sub .900 SV% will make you want to yak. So I think the playoffs are very possible since the roster has no notable subtractions to it this year. 

I think we'll get smoked in the first round, but whatever it'll be playoffs.

I don't see that Legend. When we desperately needed goals/wins in early March we absolutely tanked, couldn't score goals when it mattered.  Goaltending was not the issue for the most part. We lost about 8 out of 10 games in that stretch? Thats when when we needed those wins badly. We still need a couple of 20+ goal scorers to join the lineup so we get to play in mid April. Only after we were effectively eliminated did Skinner and Lindholm score a few each to close out the season.

Edited by raleighcaniac

League average goaltending and a slight improvement on OT/SO performance could easily make a 10 pt difference in the standings.  I'm not happy with the WLOG approach to the skaters, but I'm also not ready to surrender quite yet.  The GMs had a lot on their plates with the expansion draft, the draft, and now UFA frenzy coming in a day or two.  Let's keep those white flags down a bit longer and hope there is still a move on the horizon.  I just can't see how we don't see one (at least) more quality forward brought in...somehow.

Never give up.  Never surrender.

There is an awful lot of "we need 25 more goals" talk going on when there are so many factors in making the playoffs, how can that one factor be everything?

Ottawa made the playoffs with 6 fewer goals than the Canes scored.  Yeah yeah yeah, they played in the weak Atlantic division, and golly gee the Metro is going to be even tougher this season.  It's going to be so tough that people will cry in the rink before the games even start.    It's usually right about then that the shocker happens... "What happened to the Metro?" is just as likely a story for next season.  All these teams added pieces and yet the chemistry stunk, or injuries happened, or just bad luck.  It is not likely that the Metro continues to trend tougher year after year.  It just isn't.

We need to improve offensively, I agree.  I'm not arguing that point.  If we scored 50 more goals than last season, I think we are in for sure.   But we could score the same number of goals, and stop 40 more, and we would be in too.  Our D should be even better.   Darling may be the next big thing.   There are so many factors.

More moves to come, and I still stick by "be careful what you wish for".  The only thing worse than no deal is a bad deal.  I for one am happy that RF seems to say no deal is better than bad deal.

• Like 5

Funny, I had this all teed up before you posted Hag, not a rebuke of you, but just happen to strongly think that more goals has to be in the plan beyond that we might count on them coming from this group without upgrade. Ottawa was the exception to the rule. Not a good plan, IMO.

Only one team in the NHL made the playoffs with our goals-for or lower: Ottawa. On the other hand, 9/10 missed. (and Ottawa squeeked in).

Only one team missed the playoffs that scored at least 225 goals: Dallas.

Ottawa had the 3rd best goalie in the league (or second depending on how many starts your require). Ottawa had the 3rd most shootout wins in the NHL, and the #10 goals against average. And while their playoff run sort of make it easy to forget, Ottawa barely slipped in.

Dallas is the opposite. No goaltending at all. Dallas is the team that easily makes it just by getting goaltending.

Here's the thing. We scored 215 goals. With a good D and decent goaltending, 225-230 gets us a 90% chance of getting in (assuming there isn't a massive increase in overall goals). We NEED more goals, but probably only about 15 more goals, or even 10.

The beauty is that we haven't lost anyone, and Lindholm is good for at least 5-10 more. Rask and Jordan should be able to get 5-10 more together. BUT can we expect close to 40 from Skinner or almost 20 from Faulk again? If these settle out, we may be back at 215 again without help, at best a cut line hope.

But we don't need to add a 30 goal guy. We need to find 10-15 more goals than our average #9 guy gave us. (McGinn's 7 goals). So, while of course it's oversimplified, in general, if we add a 20 goal guy, we net 13 goals, and that should be enough.

Don't add that guy, and we might get enough overall improvement to get the goals that way, but it is not a good plan. Don't get any more goals at all? Well last year it was a 10% chance to barely get in.

Edited by remkin

Tell Ronnie to go to aisle 5 and pick up a six pack of 10 goals.  That should get us in.  They are on special this weekend, and I have a coupon.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

He can do it day after tomorrow at 1200. Except he doesn't like to go shopping on July 1.

Edited by remkin

I think wins get you in more than goals.  What we need is more wins.

Why did Washington make it in?   The fact that they sucked in 53 less goals than the Canes, or scored 49 more goals than the Canes.  I think either way, you make it in with either of those stats.  In the end, they had 31 more points.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I think wins get you in more than goals.  What we need is more wins.

Why did Washington make it in?   The fact that they sucked in 53 less goals than the Canes, or scored 49 more goals than the Canes.  I think either way, you make it in with either of those stats.  In the end, they had 31 more points.

Well, yeah. Just win I guess. But if we are playing GM and want to try to put our best chance out there, you have to fix the things you aren't good at. I think it was Peters who said, if you're not in the top 1/3 in a category, you have to work at that thing.

We do indeed need to fix both goals for and goals against unfortunately.

Goals Against: #18 (tie)

Goals For: #21

But the best evidence suggests that the goals against issue was mostly goaltending, and arguably D improvement from our second pair (that they showed at the end) and TVR, will fix that end of things. That end has been addressed.

But outside of keeping our guys, what have we done to fix goals for? Need to still do something on that end.

I am not ready for sky is falling because there is still time to do something, and both Peters and Francis are on record realizing that this is a need. Peters was ready to trade over half our draft to get scoring help, and Francis said he wanted to add a 20-25 goal guy. There's still time. So do it.

Edited by remkin

I don't want you guys to misunderstand.  I wish we looked like the Oilers of the Gretzky era.  "What defense, let Coffey play some D occasionally, Fuhr is on his own, let's score 6 a game" is my idea of fun.   I'm just saying its a big assumption that you add a 25 goal scorer and you are there.  All it takes is every other guy to score 1 or 2 less goals than last season and you got the same number of goals as a team or less.  It is not a static situation.  Some guys will be better, some worse.

I wish we had an offensive juggernaut but we look to be trying to build the Devils of the 90's/ early 2000s instead.  All they did was win 3 cups, one grinding shift at a time.  I think more than anything, GMRF and HCBP want guys who can play their system, and the wins will come, probably in the form of 2-1 victories night after night.

That was what Ottawa did last season, btw now that I think about it.

Need more grit.  I would get Lucic, frankly.  That's the guy we need.