Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I think wins get you in more than goals.  What we need is more wins.

 

A truer statement was never made. If you can win it doesn't matter how many goals you score to do it but one weakness identified at the end of the season was lack of production in certain areas. In yesterdays Tweetmail by Michael he seemed to echo that desire to obtain a top 6 is still a priority "The goal to add a piece up front remains".

 

When your team leadership RF/BP express a desire to add a top 6 as a fan my expectation is you will add a top 6. But I agree you don't make a bad trade to do it. If you are unable the team then must look at adding more secondary scoring from the third and especially fourth lines.  We have already made the move to improve our goaltending and improve our 3rd pair defense so that alone (if it works out) should help us win more games.

 

I think some of the frustration is that the ex-draft seemed to present a golden opportunity but in the end not many big deals were made. Not just by us so that indicates to me a deal just wasn't available at a price that made sense.  This is early times. We still have free agency and an entire summer to try and get better scoring. I'm watching free agency to see if we add smaller pieces that seem to be for positions we already have covered. That would indicate to me we are getting ready to make a trade.

 

Maybe I'm seeing it wrong but that is how I see it.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OBXer said:

 

A truer statement was never made. If you can win it doesn't matter how many goals you score to do it but one weakness identified at the end of the season was lack of production in certain areas. In yesterdays Tweetmail by Michael he seemed to echo that desire to obtain a top 6 is still a priority "The goal to add a piece up front remains".

 

When your team leadership RF/BP express a desire to add a top 6 as a fan my expectation is you will add a top 6. But I agree you don't make a bad trade to do it. If you are unable the team then must look at adding more secondary scoring from the third and especially fourth lines.  We have already made the move to improve our goaltending and improve our 3rd pair defense so that alone (if it works out) should help us win more games.

 

I think some of the frustration is that the ex-draft seemed to present a golden opportunity but in the end not many big deals were made. Not just by us so that indicates to me a deal just wasn't available at a price that made sense.  This is early times. We still have free agency and an entire summer to try and get better scoring. I'm watching free agency to see if we add smaller pieces that seem to be for positions we already have covered. That would indicate to me we are getting ready to make a trade.

 

Maybe I'm seeing it wrong but that is how I see it.

 

 

I think you are seeing it just fine but we'll see how it all ends when the dust clears.  I get everyone's angst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I've already posted, the focus on more goals completely discounts the growth and synergy of guys like Lindholm and Aho and TT, and the health of Rask. And the addition of Scott Darling. And an even-better defense.

 

I still want another top-six guy, but it doesn't have to be a #1C. That'd be nice, sure--but what this team needs more (IMO) is leadership and grit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I think you are seeing it just fine but we'll see how it all ends when the dust clears.  I get everyone's angst.

 

When the dust settles it could be disappointing again but as long as we have made enough changes to get the playoffs I will be happy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we can find grit and scoring? Absolutely. But that's been hard to find. So at least get the scoring.

 

I do agree that while we would love to solve this puzzle once and for all with a slam dunk, young, elite, 70 point 1C, (make a run at Draisaitl), we don't need that massive splash to make the playoffs.

 

Of course we are betting that the net effect of all of our other guys adds up to at least the same number of goals, but that's a fair bet, and in that case, a 20 goal guy should be enough. Marleau? Williams? Both probably are enough. Maybe not for a deep cup run, but to keep us moving forward and into the playoffs. If not them, maybe a guy we aren't thinking of yet that Franicis picks off in a trade for prospects/picks.

 

I still think Francis knows he needs to do it. He's mostly covered everything else, so now, he can bring it all to bear on getting what we still need. I still think he does it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Francis has re-iterated his fear of day 1 again. But maybe he's just throwing us off the scent. Maybe this time...will be different

 

Does seem like a couple of the forwards in question are too old to get the uber crazy deals that people fear, so maybe a relatively small crazy deal still makes sense for us, even on day 1.

 

Just a little too much pay? Just one extra year, for a guy like Williams or Marleau? Wouldn't kill us.

 

 

Edited by remkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I think adding more offense, in addition to shoring up the blueline and improving goaltending will all contribute to growth, I think this team could make the playoffs as is with a little more consistency.  This team is still Jekyll & Hyde on a night in and night out basis as far as playing hard.  There's a lot of games they are out of sync, lack hustle, or just look flat out lost.  If we can get this team to play hard on a consistent basis, we would win more games than we are supposed too even without extra scoring.  And to me, that comes down to our coaching staff making sure our team is mentally and physically ready everyday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I've been known to yell and curse on Free Agent Frenzy Day, let's hope that doesn't happen again.

 

So is the life of the Caniac.  As sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I've been known to yell and curse on Free Agent Frenzy Day, let's hope that doesn't happen again.

 

I am managing my expectations this time around.  I fully expect us to not land a top 6 forward.  So because I fully expect that it will prevent me from going into rage mode like last off season.  I will be at Ocean Isle when this happens.  So here is to hoping we make a splash of some sort.

Edited by bluedevil58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, remkin said:

Francis has re-iterated his fear of day 1 again. But maybe he's just throwing us off the scent. Maybe this time...will be different

 

He sure did and that is why my expectations are modest. But then maybe..just maybe this time will be different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

 

I am managing my expectations this time around.  I fully expect us to not land a top 6 forward.  So because I fully expect that it will prevent me from going into rage mode like last off season.

 

We're going to hold you to that! :crossfingers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Free Agency will be more fizzle then gain for the Canes as well as most of the league; just aren't any real 'wow' names up there and too many who will be playing on the leagues old timers hockey team in the next 5 years. Ronnie needs to focus on a trades, lord knows he has more picks from this and last years draft to dangle along with a starter other than Slavin/Pesce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23-12-6 at home and 13-19-9 away last season.. Was a real struggle to win on the road....:blink: ..(why)....maybe a better net minder steals a few away games this coming season, maybe that yields 8-10 more pts.. My two cents agrees RF has to, needs to, must pull off a major trade for proven players (goals goals goals)... 

       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

With all the forward line combo's I am seeing here I don't see any drop the gloves toughness like a Scottie Hartnell type who can play and duke it out.  Without a forward (ideally two) willing to mix it up sans gloves when needed, will cost us a few games next season. Canes team is way too young not to have a bodyguard or two capable of playing 15 minutes a night.  Since there are no real big name UFA's Francis needs to focus on adding some toughness; will also help put some bodies in the rink on game day.

Hartnell bought out...we could do worse, good in front of the net, physical player. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep thinking that a guy that might be available for futures (his team is not contending), has size and sandpaper, and can score is Evander Kane. After July 1st, he can also be negotiated with to extend a contract. I don't think the Canes will go that direction, but given our options, he'd check off a lot of our boxes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Farewell Lacko Taco. Great guy as a person, but disappointing stint with us is an understatement. I wish him well and hope he finds a groove in Calgary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, surfzone365 said:

Farewell Lacko Taco. Great guy as a person, but disappointing stint with us is an understatement. I wish him well and hope he finds a groove in Calgary.

 

Full deal is Lack (50% salary retained), Murphy and a 7th for D-prospect Kanzig (6'7 240+) and a 6th.

 

Can we strike up the band now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...