The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

And finally no more of the Ryan Murphy saga.

Slobber knocked in juniors, lost his confidence being thrown to the wolves here.

Size matters.

Edited by coastal_caniac

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Man the best we could get for 1/2 off Lack and Murphy was an ECHL guy?  That market must be thin.  

Has some AHL time also, and going to Charlotte? Why are we nitpicking when everyone has been on the Trade Murphy now train for awhile?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Kanzig's Stats.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=63193

Hope Murphy can revive his career with Calgary.

Calgary now has 4 goalies under contract (Smith, Elliott, Lack, Gillies)

Elliott is a UFA.

Gillies is a RFA.

Calgary will go with Smith #1, Lack as backup, Gillies in the AHL for more playing time, They will let Elliott walk.

6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Has some AHL time also, and going to Charlotte? Why are we nitpicking when everyone has been on the Trade Murphy now train for awhile?

Exactly...We just got rid of 2 problems for a prospect. Who really cares if the prospect makes it or not with all the really good D prospects in our system, & all the really good D on our team.

Murphy wasn't going to work here, and needs a fresh start...Lack was the odd man out and needed to go.

As a bonus we move up one round in the draft and free up one contract spot. Remember we are tight on contracts with our deep prospect pool!!!

Edited by rocheccw

Just now, rocheccw said:

Exactly...We just got rid of 2 problems for a prospect. Who really cares if the prospect makes it or not with all the really good D prospects in our system, & all the reall good D on our team.

Murphy wasn't going to work here, and needs a fresh start...Lack was the odd man out in and needed to go.

As a bonus we move up one round and free up one contract spot.

Yep, rocheccw, was going to mention the latter for those concerned about # of contracts, we just freed up 1 more spot.

11 minutes ago, rocheccw said:

Exactly...We just got rid of 2 problems for a prospect. Who really cares if the prospect makes it or not with all the really good D prospects in our system, & all the really good D on our team.

Murphy wasn't going to work here, and needs a fresh start...Lack was the odd man out and needed to go.

As a bonus we move up one round in the draft and free up one contract spot. Remember we are tight on contracts with our deep prospect pool!!!

Im aware of the benefits and don't have an issue with the trade.  I have been on the trade Murphy train a long time.  I just figured if we were going to give him away it would have happened a long time ago.  

Maybe the big 2 million in savings means we are adding someone decent. We need 6 million to get to the floor.

Edited by gocanes0506

CapFriendly has us with only 42 (of 50) contracts counting against us, and that's counting Kanzig.  I wonder how they update their site so quickly?

I wonder if RF is waiting on signing PDG until he sees what he can do as far as upgrading our forward corps?  Depending on what he can do, I can see RF offering PDG only a "modified" 2-way contract (modified = 6 figure AHL portion).

Edited by LakeLivin

5 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

CapFriendly has us with only 42 (of 50) contracts counting against us, and that's counting Kanzig.  I wonder how they update their site so quickly?

I wonder if RF is waiting on signing PDG until he sees what he can do as far as upgrading our forward corps?  Depending on what he can do, I can see RF offering PDG only a "modified" 2-way contract (modified = 6 figure AHL portion).

So Lake, the figures a few have bantered around, said to be 48, are untrue?

21 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Kjun it is a little confusing but those playing in juniors don't always count. I don't think those who stay in Europe count either but I'm not sure.  Some of the draft picks remain your property for two or three years although they don't have a contract. I can't keep up with it to tell the truth but I counted around 42 or 43 contracts.

Here is something I found on the OIL's board.

Starting with the largest and working our way down, teams are only allowed to have up to 90 players on its reserve list, whether signed to a standard player contract (SPC) or unsigned. From there teams are only allowed to have up to 50 players signed to contracts for any given season, including those for the players on the active roster and injured reserve lists. The unsigned players are draft picks of the club who have not yet been signed. In most cases, an organization retains an unsigned drafted player’s rights for two seasons after his drafted year, with some extended timeframes provided for US College players and for European players, among others

5 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I trust CapFriendly. :D 

You can count them up here: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/hurricanes

There are 43 contracts listed but they list Bean's as not counting against the 50.  Not sure why Bean's doesn't count but Goat's and Kuok's do. Maybe because Bean is still only 18 yo?

On the trade. Retaining 50% of Lacks salary is better than a buyout. It is also better than losing him on waivers for nothing. The goalie situation had to be settled and RF found a way to solve it. Murphy was going to go. Getting something was better than getting nothing .

It would of been nice to get a little more in return but sometimes you take what you can take.

• Like 1

Here are some notes on Kanzig...sounds like a guy we could use if he can work his way up...

Talent Analysis

Kanzig is a big body that can make a big presence on the ice. He has the ability to become a shutdown force for the Flames on the back end, while being an enforcer at the same time. Despite his huge size, Kanzig is a surprisingly good skater though it is an area where improvement can increase his effectiveness on the ice. He has worked to increase his technical and tactical proficiency during his junior career

Future

Kanzig is eligible to return to the WHL's Calgary Hitmen for an overage season but is expected to begin his pro career with Flames' AHL affiliate Stockton in 2015-16 after attending training camp. Long-term, his calling card at the NHL level will be his physical game and ability to shutdown opposition attackers; providing a complimentary element to some of the talented young forwards in Calgary.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/keegan-kanzig/#fqjEhhvGuW3CQE2R.99

Good luck to Lack and Murphy. Hopefully, Murphy is the last first rounder we strike out on completely. Apparently, Vancouver fans still think Lack can turn things around, so maybe he will in Calgary. Eating 1/2 his salary is a lesson learned for RF who gave him a 2 year extension before he ever suited up for us. Well, I guess we just did that again, but unlike Darling, Eddie had a year left on his contract when we extended him at a big raise. Could have seen what we had before giving him that contract. Anyway, this trade makes all kind of sense - TVR made Murphy unneeded extra weight, and we needed to move a goalie. Hopefully, this cleared the way with the $$ we saved for a forward acquisition before we all go crazy. How about tomorrow?

Wish Kanzig was a righty.  Glad to have resolution but like others, i'm a little disappointed RF couldn't get a little more for them.  I mean nobody expected him to trade them for Draisaitl but this guy's going to be, what, about 47th on the LHD depth chart?  Resolution, though.  On to the next...

1 other thing(possibly 2} popped into my mind as was reading Law-Dawg's piece. We all have been crying for a physical presence on the ice, well now we have one. Also, this big player, traditionally thought to take time to develop a game when that large, may still do so. Murphy had beaucoup time, and never did. What is there to lose?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Just a guess.  Bottom line, 6M is a lot to offer.   We are too g to make a significant signing to get to the cap floor.  Williams, Thorton, or Marleua would be my best guess...  MAYBE Radulov but he's a huge risk.

Edited by bluedevil58

The 48 of 50 contracts I was counting was figuring in we still need 3 roster forwards.  And i was planning on 0 of those 3 being prospects (because you plan for the worst).  So we are down to 46 now.  4 contracts available with a chance of up to 3 more.  

Seems like everything else is nicely tidied up. Now lets go make a run at Draisaitl and start planning for the playoffs for the next 10 years.

Hey, a guy can dream.

While looking at our # of contracts on CapFriendly it hit me that Gauthier can play AHL this year (he turns 20yo) and Bean can't (he doesn't).

It isn't as clear with Kuokkanen, but if my understanding of the rule is correct I think he can join the Chex even though he doesn't turn 20 until next spring.  That's because even though he played in the OHL last year, we didn't draft him out of the OHL (we drafted him in June '16 and Kuok didn't sign an OHL agreement until the following month.)  Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this. 

Pamlico, I disagree. Year one, Peters rotated Lack and Ward, with both struggling, until Ward finally put together a run of decent games and took the job. Last year, Lack suffered not one, but two concussions. He took himself out of competition to regain the #1 job if Cam slipped up, and in the proccess pi#*ed off Peters, and rightfully so. He was given a nice extension before he ever played a game here, and I don't think that was done with an intention to shortchange him out of a chance for the starter's job. It's water under the bridge anyway, but just my .02.

• Like 2

RF and BP 2 years ago wanted him to be the answer, the only person who got in the way was Lack. I mean hell the guy was extended before he saw an NHL game here with another year on his contract.  How much more of a chance can you give a backup then 34 games his first year? As previously mentioned the 2 month goaltending carousel. Honestly this season to start off was a 2-3 week carousel and BP cut it off real quick. Cam was injured at one point for 2-3 weeks in his tenure here. 

Edited by legend-1

Either way it's a fresh start for both camps..Lack in Calgary and the Canes with Darling. I try to keep the positive vibes when and where possible. I won't miss the taco commercials though.