The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

Calgary gets a 1.3 mil backup goalie with upside and a former 1st round defenseman who needs a change of scenery.  We get a prospect, a late pick, 2 mil in cap space savings for basically two guys that would not impact our team in 2017-18.  Good job GMRF.

We have to do something to get to the floor.  I will be interested to see what we do.  I think we could sign Willy and perhaps one other guy.  Radulov would be a risk for sure, but, at this point who knows.  

Big no Radulov.  He wants a Semin style contract. 7 million over 6 years.  No thanks.  I'd 6-6.5 over 4 because he is 30.   His production could be down at year 4, then we eat year 5 & 6 for top line money at 3rd line production. 

16 hours ago, MinJaBen said:

I keep thinking that a guy that might be available for futures (his team is not contending), has size and sandpaper, and can score is Evander Kane. After July 1st, he can also be negotiated with to extend a contract. I don't think the Canes will go that direction, but given our options, he'd check off a lot of our boxes.

I agree MJB but too many on this site don't like him because he's brash and can back it up. Most prefer a Mr. Nice Guy when it comes to being a Cane; one of the reasons the team has floundered for 8 years.

6 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

I agree MJB but too many on this site don't like him because he's brash and can back it up. Most prefer a Mr. Nice Guy when it comes to being a Cane; one of the reasons the team has floundered for 8 years.

I don't think it matters much what many of us on this site think about E Kane. It only matters what RF and staff think.

After the Semin (sorry I mentioned him) experiment I think more than a few fans are gun shy of acquiring a talented but often troubled player.  It isn't us or even the Canes that have tarnished Kane's value but hockey insiders, other teams reluctance to sign and keep him and maybe most importantly through his actions Kane himself.

One area the Canes have mismanaged is Goalie.  Since 2006/7 season here is the list of back ups. A revolving door of management hope that never panned out. I doubt any pundits here would have done worse selecting a back up  than the know it all Canes GM's past and present.  Goaltending is a position that GM's and Coaches know so little about compared to the skaters and systems they flog in practice day after day.   Is Darling the answer? He better be because if he flounders no way this team makes the playoffs. Best case would be two very competitive players in Ward/Darling; Cam is not about to give up his status as starter without a heck of fight - this will be a good training camp story line.

Canes goalie backups starting 2006/7

John Grahame

Michael Leighton

Daniel Manzato

Justin Peters

Manny Legace

Brian Boucher

Dan Ellis

Anton Khudobin

Eddie Lack

17 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I don't think it matters much what many of us on this site think about E Kane. It only matters what RF and staff think.

After the Semin (sorry I mentioned him) experiment I think more than a few fans are gun shy of acquiring a talented but often troubled player.  It isn't us or even the Canes that have tarnished Kane's value but hockey insiders, other teams reluctance to sign and keep him and maybe most importantly through his actions Kane himself.

Don't disagree with your synopsis OBX but...how long will the Canes be gun shy? Yeah Semin was a bust and it cost us but the take away is that mgmt learns from past errors and do a better risk assessment and if it looks good pull the trigger on someone who can come in wake up our moribund (lack of) team personality. I also believe what a persons antics were a few years prior (and Kanes were real stupid) that you assess if he has moved beyond that. I didn't hear anything negative about him regarding team chemistry last year. If he has learned from past mistakes then so be it. If he kept his head on straight and last season he did, he would be a huge addition to this team.

21 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

If he kept his head on straight and last season he did, he would be a huge addition to this team.

and that's the big IF.  The Risk/Reward and cost to obtain him. I would never rule out a trade or acquisition for a troubled but talented player. At the same time if I'm RF I would think long and hard before going down this road especially if there was another route we could take.

Thank the hockey gods I'm not RF and I trust this off-season a move will be made. I just don't know when,how and who it will be.

35 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Cam is not about to give up his status as starter without a heck of fight - this will be a good training camp story line.

I believe this and hope it is the case. Know matter what some fans think about Wards age and recent play the one part of Ward you can't deny is that he is a competitor. The way we  acquired and signed Darling makes him the number 1 netminder but Cam is going to push him and if he gets a chance try and replace him. That is a good thing for both goalies IMO.

• Like 2

Well the best trade partners we have right now are Chicago and Washington.

Caps have 12.5 million in cap with a need for 4 or 5 roster forwards, 1 defender and a backup.  Both of their remaining RFA forwards will eat most of that.  

I have discussed Chicago's issues. Anisimov and Kruger will be available.

6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Ward is a backup at best, and IMO won't push anybody for a number one spot.  His best day is behind him.

All this time I thought he was average at best.

11 hours ago, remkin said:

Seems like everything else is nicely tidied up. Now lets go make a run at Draisaitl and start planning for the playoffs for the next 10 years.

Hey, a guy can dream.

There have been a lot of UFA's discussed as possibilities and some may help the team. My stance is that RF needs more and the big trade has to be done. I still think RF has to make the big trade as part of the so called 5 year rebuild. Adding a 1 or 2 year UFA may help the team inch forward and give our youth more time to develop but we need more than baby steps. We all know that Sakic has been unreasonable in his demands but we are the perfect trading partner. Joe went public way before the playoffs that he needed a shake up. To date he has done nothing to change his team. This has to be wearing to the players that have been discussed as trade material. RF has gone public as well that he needs a TOP 6 GUY. At some point RF needs to show that he can get the big trade done. This is what he gets the big bucks for. If he can't get it done we need to look at why? I've stated before that sometimes you need to over pay to get top end talent and now is the time to pay. We cleared another 2.5 mil in cap space for Murph/Lack and could throw that into the equation. Yes we have signed a few critical pieces in the puzzle in the off season but it will go down as a wiff if RF cannot make the big deal. I'm looking for a higher caliber player than a 1 year UFA and someone who can help improve the team for multiple years. The caliber I want is Duschene/Landeskog/Anisimov/GALCHENYUK ......type players. Do we need to trade Hanifin as part of the puzzle? OK I'm in. Perhaps RF will need to look for another move for NH. Vegas has a warehouse of defensive players. Is Fleury or McKeown ready? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Ward is a backup at best, and IMO won't push anybody for a number one spot.  His best day is behind him.

A single best day?  I guess this was it.

7e94f58d-0946-42af-a8ba-2c82ad89e05e_1.b

With all the discontent directed at Ward here it looks like Ronnie should have kept Taco.

Quick Trivia: What building is that on top of the MVP award? Dinner with Murphy and some tape to the winner...

Edited by raleighcaniac

13 hours ago, OBXer said:

Getting something was better than getting nothing .

And if Kanzig turns into something?? Wowie wow wow wow!

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Wow... really. I agree Wards best days are probable behind him. Wards chances of grabbing the #1 crease back are minuscule but  saying he is just going to take a seat and not try. If that is the case we sent the wrong goalie to Calgary. This is probable the last year Ward will be a Cane. He probable will be a backup but I hope he is a good one and if something goes amiss I hope he has enough left to jump in.

My comment was an ancient reference, you would have had to be here since 2008 or so to get it.

I actually think Ward will do fine as a backup, and my mom will stop crying  "What about Cam, he is so sweet..."

• Like 1

On the Development Camp front:  Chip Alexander states: At Canes development camp watching Nicolas Roy score almost every time he touches the puck in drills. Quite the sniper.

I think that Ward will handle the backup role with the same grace and commitment that Fleury did in Pitt last season.  And we can always hope for the same ultimate result, no?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hag65 said:

My comment was an ancient reference, you would have had to be here since 2008 or so to get it.

I actually think Ward will do fine as a backup, and my mom will stop crying  "What about Cam, he is so sweet..."

I got it.

2 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

I think that's overstating it. I think most here want a guy with edge, and I'd take Kane in a heartbeat if he came without the criminal record. This one shot captures the reasons why:

maxresdefault.jpg

I think the hesitation here is with this particular guy, whose record indicates he's as likely to wind up in an ankle monitor as in a pair of skates. But if he can convince RF those days are over, he might go for it. He gave Raffi a PTO, after all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocheccw said:

Would love to see Big Joe, & Marleau, but it will probably be J Williams, & either Bonino or Ganger...

Any of the above are fine by me!

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

the one part of Ward you can't deny is that he is a competitor.

I respectfully disagree. The one part of Ward you can't deny is that he gets up for big games better than almost anyone. Unfortunately he can't sustain great play over an entire season.

This is not meant as an I-told-you-so thing at all, because I really believed he could do it--but after he won the Cup, I posted here that he was about to attempt the toughest transition in sports: going from backup keeper, where every game matters in terms of your career, to being the everyday guy, where you have to find a reason to make every game matter. I think Darling is the perfect answer because of his personal struggles. What he's had to do to get here is remarkable; what Cam did was too in its own way, but it was also a whirlwind situation, where Darling has literally lost it all and battled back.  

The challenge of the transition to everyday guy for Cam was magnified about 1000 percent, because the games that won him the job were on the biggest stage in hockey. Going from that kind of nightly importance to the relative mundanity of the regular season grind is tough, and even tougher when your backups can't be trusted (remember Johnny Grahame??).

Bottom line: I don't think Cam is competing for anything. I think Darling already has the crease, and Cam is the character vet in the room and on the bench, who will always be welcomed by fans whenever he shows up between the pipes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Bottom line: I don't think Cam is competing for anything. I think Darling already has the crease, and Cam is the character vet in the room and on the bench, who will always be welcomed by fans whenever he shows up between the pipes.

That is a good assessment and sound reasoning but I do disagree about the competitive part.  I do recognize the inconstancy from game to game and decline in statistical play. but from my view point his heart and competitive nature always seemed to be there.

Here is what does concern me with Ward as a backup. Ward always seems to get better the more he plays. The problem has been since his injuries and as he gets older there seems to be a lower ceiling on the amount of games he can play before his play suffers. As a backup he will get less games that should be beneficial in his overall performance but at the same time if my observations are correct that he has to play often to get better than I have to wonder if he can come in every third or fifth game and be game ready. I think that is still to be determined and I have a hunch he can. I'm counting on his competitive personality to make it work. Still until the season unfolds I admit I have doubts.