The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

5 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I have to wonder if he can come in every third or fifth game and be game ready. I think that is still to be determined and I have a hunch he can. I'm counting on his competitive personality to make it work.

This is my concern too, but I think when one's options are limited one tends to accept their role - especially when one is making millions of dollars.

I have to think RF had a long talk with Cam and that Cam is frankly thrilled to be making the money he is for the next year. RF's public statements last year were that we needed top-10 'tending to get in, and he was right--with that, we'd have made the dance. So I don't think Cam has much choice but to be thankful he's here and to adapt. And if we get to the dance and Darling falters, we have a guy on the bench who has been there, done that.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

Anyone want Murphy back?  He is on waivers???

Wow. That didn't take long! I guess he's AHL bound.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

There have been a lot of UFA's discussed as possibilities and some may help the team. My stance is that RF needs more and the big trade has to be done. I still think RF has to make the big trade as part of the so called 5 year rebuild. Adding a 1 or 2 year UFA may help the team inch forward and give our youth more time to develop but we need more than baby steps. We all know that Sakic has been unreasonable in his demands but we are the perfect trading partner. Joe went public way before the playoffs that he needed a shake up. To date he has done nothing to change his team. This has to be wearing to the players that have been discussed as trade material. RF has gone public as well that he needs a TOP 6 GUY. At some point RF needs to show that he can get the big trade done. This is what he gets the big bucks for. If he can't get it done we need to look at why? I've stated before that sometimes you need to over pay to get top end talent and now is the time to pay. We cleared another 2.5 mil in cap space for Murph/Lack and could throw that into the equation. Yes we have signed a few critical pieces in the puzzle in the off season but it will go down as a wiff if RF cannot make the big deal. I'm looking for a higher caliber player than a 1 year UFA and someone who can help improve the team for multiple years. The caliber I want is Duschene/Landeskog/Anisimov/GALCHENYUK ......type players. Do we need to trade Hanifin as part of the puzzle? OK I'm in. Perhaps RF will need to look for another move for NH. Vegas has a warehouse of defensive players. Is Fleury or McKeown ready? 

All reasonable points. I want my cake and I want to eat it too. I just don't want to lose any of our top 4 D. We are so set in prospects and have such a young team, that I would not mind throwing first round picks in with Fleury. Say Fleury and two first rounders for Duchene.

I wonder with the recent stirrings about expensive options if Francis is not going to make a splash during UFA. We have cap space like crazy. And while Francis does not like to spend money, he likes losing his prized prospects and players even more. To date he has not traded a single meaningful player or prospect that I can think of.

Radulov is asking for 6 years 42 million reportedly. Intersting that is exactly the same annually as another Alexander once got. Is he the same? He has some of the same knocks, but seems more physical. I get that would be a scary return to what could look like a similar well, but then he did put up .7 ppg.

Probably not what Francis is thinking. But he could help. But then he could turn into the second he who shall not be named.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Anyone want Murphy back?  He is on waivers???

Whoa, wait--he's on waivers for the purpose of an unconditional buyout.

Suddenly keeping half of Lack's salary makes (even more) sense; Ronnie essentially convinced the Flames to pay Murphy to give him more money to work with. That other shoe is coming down...

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

All reasonable points. I want my cake and I want to eat it too. I just don't want to lose any of our top 4 D. We are so set in prospects and have such a young team, that I would not mind throwing first round picks in with Fleury. Say Fleury and two first rounders for Duchene.

I wonder with the recent stirrings about expensive options if Francis is not going to make a splash during UFA. We have cap space like crazy. And while Francis does not like to spend money, he likes losing his prized prospects and players even more. To date he has not traded a single meaningful player or prospect that I can think of.

Radulov is asking for 6 years 42 million reportedly. Intersting that is exactly the same annually as another Alexander once got. Is he the same? He has some of the same knocks, but seems more physical. I get that would be a scary return to what could look like a similar well, but then he did put up .7 ppg.

Probably not what Francis is thinking. But he could help. But then he could turn into the second he who shall not be named.

Francis has already tipped his plans for Fleury, but anything is subject to change. Francis said team is comfortable with defense moving forward. Expects van Riemsdyk-Fleury to be the 5-6 pairing. I'm very very concerned about Radulov. He's 30 and Russian to boot. 6 years at 42 mil, I'll pass. He will return to the mother land if things aren't all peaches and cream for him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

I wonder with the recent stirrings about expensive options if Francis is not going to make a splash during UFA. We have cap space like crazy.

I honestly believe the endgame here is to bring back a guy - preferably Williams - who can lead this team. And I think the dynamic of having the keeper, the captain, and the guy who scored the Cup-clinching goal back with this org to lead these kids would be remarkable.

Maybe we get Duchene too, but what's really needed is veteran leadership that shows guys how to play for each other. With that and top-10 goaltending last year, we'd have made the playoffs.

16 minutes ago, OBXer said:

That is a good assessment and sound reasoning but I do disagree about the competitive part.  I do recognize the inconstancy from game to game and decline in statistical play. but from my view point his heart and competitive nature always seemed to be there.

Here is what does concern me with Ward as a backup. Ward always seems to get better the more he plays. The problem has been since his injuries and as he gets older there seems to be a lower ceiling on the amount of games he can play before his play suffers. As a backup he will get less games that should be beneficial in his overall performance but at the same time if my observations are correct that he has to play often to get better than I have to wonder if he can come in every third or fifth game and be game ready. I think that is still to be determined and I have a hunch he can. I'm counting on his competitive personality to make it work. Still until the season unfolds I admit I have doubts.

Fair question you pose OBXer, but I'd interject that it's possible that this new goalie coach can teach Cam the nuances necessary to approach this role differently, thus reshape his mindset for the demands of the role of backup? I would suggest that Cam never performed in that stepped down role of backup because he NEVER accepted that he was. Possibly now, with the handwriting on the wall and increasing demands of family life, he'll be able to adapt, or at least we all hope so. 

• Like 2

At least Eddie can laugh about it. "The last time I was traded I was in Ibiza, Spain. So I don't know what it is about me and vacations."

7 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I'm very very concerned about Radulov. He's 30 and Russian to boot.

19 minutes ago, remkin said:

Radulov is asking for 6 years 42 million reportedly.

I don't sign him for half that.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAdiAAAAJDNiY2Y2YThlLWFmYWEt

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Francis has already tipped his plans for Fleury, but anything is subject to change. Francis said team is comfortable with defense moving forward. Expects van Riemsdyk-Fleury to be the 5-6 pairing. I'm very very concerned about Radulov. He's 30 and Russian to boot. 6 years at 42 mil, I'll pass. He will return to the mother land if things aren't all peaches and cream for him.

Yeah Radulov would be risky. But he'd be a "not cheap option".  If he went bad for us, this organization would never even casually glance in the general direction of a Russian player ever again.

• Like 2

Just now, remkin said:

Yeah Radulov would be risky. But he'd be a "not cheap option".  If he went bad for us, this organization would never even casually glance in the general direction of a Russian player ever again.

lol, Donald may take offense to this.

6 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I honestly believe the endgame here is to bring back a guy - preferably Williams - who can lead this team. And I think the dynamic of having the keeper, the captain, and the guy who scored the Cup-clinching goal back with this org to lead these kids would be remarkable.

Maybe we get Duchene too, but what's really needed is veteran leadership that shows guys how to play for each other. With that and top-10 goaltending last year, we'd have made the playoffs.

If we get Williams and Duchene? Fuggitabout it. We'd be golden.

If we get Williams though, I would not trade Hanifin for Duchene.

Slap, I agree that Fleury - TVR is probably the plan, but that is probably because Fleury hasn't been enough to this point to loose Duchene. If he did, Dalhbeck - TVR would be a fine 5-6.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, remkin said:

If we get Williams though, I would not trade Hanifin for Duchene.

I agree, there'd be no need. 

I really expect this to be the year Rask comes into his own.

12 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Williams in itself is not an overly expensive option. There must be more, I want more. more more please i want more please sir GIF

Anyone want Jussi Jokinen back?  On waivers for buyout...could be a cheap top 9 forward... had 11 G & 28 pts last year but 2 years ago had 18 G & 60 P.

Edited by rocheccw

Cammalerri and Smith-Pelly on buyout waivers as is Jimmy Hayes from Boston and Lance Bouma from Calgary. Have a hard time seeing exactly where Smith-Pelly might fit, but I like his game. 

The days of Marty Brodeur starting 75 games are on the outs...Cam should get 25 starts and whatever number of games Darling may get yanked from. Spread the workload around...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Williams in itself is not an overly expensive option. There must be more, I want more. more more please i want more please sir GIF

Maybe, but if 10 teams are talking to him, I'm guessing his price is higher than we might have originally thought.

1 minute ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Maybe, but if 10 teams are talking to him, I'm guessing his price is higher than we might have originally thought.

Understood. If it get's to high I would pass. He's 35, I would not spend big dollars on him as much as I like Justin.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Understood. If it get's to high I would pass. He's 35, I would not spend big dollars on him as much as I like Justin.

I do think this team offers him more than most. Familiarity with the community, old buds from the Cup year, and coaching opportunities if he's so inclined. Keeping guys like Wardo and Brindy and Ronnie and Willy around begins to build a sense of history into the market/org. That is an intangible you just can't buy, and the kind of thing that can persuade not only young prospects and future FAs to sign on, but STHs too.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Today's Ron Francis talk

CanesVision

He eludes to the leadership portion of his desires and states hopefully we can get something done in the next couple of days. Smells like Williams.

• Like 1