The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

34 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Guys, I'm not seeing a logjam. Kruger's the 4C and Jooris is the two-way depth guy who'll play in CLT. Both have what none of our prospects do: A significant number of NHL games.

I don't see Joorish as designated for Charlotte.  First off, I don't see Canes paying him $775k to play in the AHL. Second, he's not waivers exempt, so that limits flexibility as far as moving him up and down.  And, while he's 26yo and has 181 NHL games under his belt, that's not exactly an NHL graybeard.  I could see maybe paying someone like Malhotra a few years back extra $ to serve as an AHL mentor, but Joorish?  Of course, I say this with no actual knowledge about the guy so who knows for sure?

Yesterday I didn't get it exactly, but thinking about it helped.  Kruger can center a shutdown line at times and free up JStaal on some matchup issues.  I like it.  

I'm assuming that Walmark and Zykov can go back and keep trying in Charlotte. McGinn is depth at this point, but I do wonder about McGinn/PDG and possible trades. I'm wondering if the PDG signing issue is partly that there really is not a spot outside of Charlotte, and he is not keen on going back there.

Given our depth with Zykov, Walmark, McGinn, maybe even Saareela, I do wonder if, as top postulated, there seems to be a bunch of kindling forming that could be thrown into a trade. Not necessarily the one we've been watching forever, but something:

From Chip:

The Hurricanes are still below the salary floor at $54.7 million. They are also at 47 contracts.

Owner Peter Karmanos has given the go ahead to add more money if it makes them better.

“I think our back end is very solid,” Peters said. “I think goaltending has been solidified for sure. If there’s something that makes sense up front, that’s probably one last thing we could look at.”

We may be done. But if not, we are at least probing around more forward depth. But given our strength at wing, I would think it would be some help in the middle.

Edited by remkin

Another good veteran signed who is a winner.   He brings intangibles fornthe youngins to learn from.  I am really liking our young team mixed in with a few SC veterans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MinJaBen said:

I posted it in another thread, but to summarize, he'd be a great addition as a 4th line center for his checking line abilities and PK. Frees up Staal's line for more offense. I've been hoping this would happen since the end of the season, but thought it likely from a direct trade with Chicago as a cap dump for them that got us more assets. My guess is that if there wasn't an expansion draft this year, we'd have seen this trade anyway with Chicago getting a couple of picks for us taking Kruger and TVR back after the July 1st bonus Kruger got. Darling trade would probably still have happened separately due to UFA status being not compatible with waiting until July 1st for Chicago to pay Kruger's $2M bonus for 2017-2018 season. Cap hit is ~$3M, but actually salary for the Canes would be only ~$1.5M this year due to the bonus already being paid. Win win for us if it happens.

I'm curious about Kruger's signing bonus.  I read that for signing bonuses (bonusi?:P), half is paid on July 1st and the other half is prorated over the rest of the year.  But that was just some dude answering a question on the HF boards, so I don't place much stock in it.  Anyone know for sure if Chicago paid the entire $2m or if we owe half?  Because if Chicago did pay the full amount, wouldn't the corresponding cap hit stay with them as well?  Which is the greater part of his compensation this year, which would greatly dilute the cap relief I thought they were going after when they traded Kruger to Vegas in the first place.  I'm confused.  :dizzy:

12 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm confused.  :dizzy:

Brother!  I'm not alone!  :)

On the J Staal 1C issue- just the year before the infamous trade, I fondly recall how he suddenly blossomed when Crosby and Malkin went down, and he overnight had to take up the slack. That period likely, together with his reluctance to accept a new contract, made JR's mind up for the trade.

Fast forward to our usage for him, and I wonder if, in fact, putting him into checking role mode does negate his scoring abilities? Thus, adding a Kruger, as hinted at several times above, and relieving him of that focus, combined with complementary pieces, might just reawaken that ability which was on display, admittedly for a brief period of time?

Kjun,

You got me thinking of another angle on that. Our upgrades on the wings.

We now have two legit scoring wingers on every lline including Jordan's. All three lines. This might be the first time since our cup wining team that we've been this deep on the wings. No matter who of Aho, Williams, Skinner, Lindholm, Stempniak, or Teravainen end up on Jordan's wings they will be legit top 6 wingers. This might lead to an offensive outburst from Jordan. He's done it before.

Edited by remkin

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Not sure why Joordis would play in Charlotte on a one-way contract.  He can slot anywhere on the fourth line.  Probably spells trouble for McGinn and PDG though.  They can practice up on samich making.

Thanks coastal. I thought I read he was on a two-way, but clearly I'm mistaken. I agree this may mean both PDG and McGinn are moving on--and may be the ones we let get away instead of Stemp and Nordy. Which I'm fine with. These moves, as much as our acquisition of JWilly, tell me RF wants to win this year. McGinn and PDG could get there, but when you've got the size and skill we do coming up, let some some other org find out.

24 minutes ago, remkin said:

We now have two legit scoring wingers on every lline including Jordan's. All three lines. This might be the first time since our cup wining team that we've been this deep on the wings. No matter who of Aho, Williams, Skinner, Lindholm, Stempniak, or Teravainen end up on Jordan's wings they will be legit top 6 wingers. This might lead to an offensive outburst from Jordan. He's done it before.

All of which makes me even less interested in the center in CO--what was his name again??

I do agree that Jordo has been asked to multitask in ways we've never asked others, and he's responded. Between him and Rask, I'm really not worried about who we call our #1. This roster is fast becoming one where every player can be effective anywhere on the ice.  Is the season really three months off??? 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

All of which makes me even less interested in the center in CO--what was his name again??

I do agree that Jordo has been asked to multitask in ways we've never asked others, and he's responded. Between him and Rask, I'm really not worried about who we call our #1. This roster is fast becoming one where every player can be effective anywhere on the ice.  Is the season really three months off??? 

You see top, I've long questioned whether that's been BP's plan all along, that of the "dreaded mix and match" that most everyone has railed about "where every player can be effective ANYWHERE on the ice", and I might add, with several different players. I mean, just think about the confusion you cause for a match up, when Skinner shifts from 3rd to 1st line,and your D is run ragged attempting to match up? What better way to tilt the ice than that? The added benefit is that it makes a traditional 1C or even 1st line less important, but of course it takes more than a few weeks, or perhaps a few years to perfect. Think of it this way, what better time to institute this mind set than during our down years?

1 hour ago, remkin said:

You got me thinking of another angle on that. Our upgrades on the wings.

And when you play a speed/possession game, wing skill is everything. The fact that this team played as well last year without E and by upgrading wings (TT, Stemp) is an early indicator of that. What RF has done is double up on the upgrade by getting Willy and (it looks like) not waiting for PDG and McGinn. 

I don't know if more moves are coming which ultimately subtract some of these additions, but what we've got right now pretty much ensures that whatever what we wind up with, we're lightyears beyond anything we've done (been able to do) since locking ourselves into E/Cam. 

19 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

You see top, I've long questioned whether that's been BP's plan all along, that of the "dreaded mix and match" that most everyone has railed about "where every player can be effective ANYWHERE on the ice", and I might add, with several different players. I mean, just think about the confusion you cause for a match up, when Skinner shifts from 3rd to 1st line,and your D is run ragged attempting to match up? What better way to tilt the ice than that? The added benefit is that it makes a traditional 1C or even 1st line less important, but of course it takes more than a few weeks, or perhaps a few years to perfect. Think of it this way, what better time to institute this mind set than during our down years?

KJUN, you and I have been in sync for a long time. Don't worry, everybody else will catch up eventually :lol:

I get that everybody wanted RF to come in and make wholesale changes and make us a winner. Mrs. Shelf would like a unicorn, too. What I don't get - and what they (and she) could never explain - is how, exactly. We're getting the answer now, and all it's taken (surprise!) is the time some of us said it would--for bad contracts to go away, and the ExDraft to play out. None of which is meant as a we-told-them-so. But maybe they will see that there's nearly always a significant difference between what one would like to do all at once, and the incremental approach that inherited circumstances sometimes require one to pursue.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

I was just glancing at the current roster regarding forward positions.

On the left:  Skinner, Aho, TT, Nordy  (McGinn)

Center: Staal, Rask, Ryan<-->Kruger?  (Jooris)

On the right: J Will, Lindholm, and Stempniak.  Who's our 4th line RW?  Have either Ryan or Jooris played RW much? (they're both right shots).

How ironic that TT and Bickell were traded to Carolina in part to make room for Kruger in Chicago.

I remember reading the Hawks boards at the time and most agreed that something had to be done to make room for Kruger, "he's too important." There were mixed reactions about giving up TT but the consensus seemed to be it had to be done.

How things can change...

“Josh is a versatile player who can play in the middle or on the wing,” said Francis. “He’s hard-working and competitive, and gives us more flexibility with our group of forwards.”

• Like 1

Krugs does bring the experience RF is looking for. As I mentioned in another post, you're not going to get prolific numbers from him (esp as a 4th liner) but he has been on the ice during some clutch situations for the Hawks (including the closing minutes of the 2013 and 2015 Cup Finals wins) where he played stifling defense. Those things can make a difference, small as they may seem. He's a closer.

Kruger-Staal-Lindy

Slavin-Pesce.

This is going to win us those 1 goal lead games.  I'm not sold on Staal putting up 60.  We will see if this alleviates some defensive pressure responsibilities him.

Edited by bluedevil58

8 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Let's not leave out Pastor Bill.

Coastal, you're right man. RF can provide the hat ? and magic wand but BP has to do the show.