The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

5 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

He's not a big fan of green bananas.

He's been given a Golden Coral buffet of talent to work with in recent years and this offseason, so he better damn well find something he likes. ?

Edited by surfzone365

10 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

He's been given a Golden Coral buffet of talent to work with in recent years and this offseason, so he better damn well find something he likes. ?

It'd be interesting to know how closely BP and RF are working on these deals. I mean, who wouldn't want JWilly, but I'm talking about particularly the TVR, Jooris and Kruger deals. I mean, it's pretty clear there was a general shopping list of needs at each slot, but given the specializations of each of those guys, I've gotta think they're consulting very closely.

It'll be interesting to see if McGinn and PDG are still with the org this fall, but barring the inclusion of one (or both) in a hockey trade, I'm thinking McGinn is locked in as the 13th forward and PDG is being given a taste of the RFA market before an eventual two-way deal and return to CLT as the 14th guy. That'll not only allow the org to get the best price on him, but he'll talk about the RFA experience with other guys in the org who will be there in a year or two. Very smart from a management standpoint.

I just love it when dumb teams get dumber!!! Washington is paying 8 players more than 5M each with some really bad contracts thrown in too.

KUZNETSOV @ 7.8M for 8 years for a guy who just scored 19G & 59P + they had to trade JOHANSSON to fit it in and Johansson had 24G & 59P at 4.5M...wow!

Oshie at 30yo 5.75M for 8 years..yikes! Plus they still have Opik at 5.5M for 2 more years, & Niskanen at 5.75M for 4 more years...Just crazy!!!

Caps have 5M in cap space left and still need 2 NHL F, 1 NHL D, & 1 - B/U goalie(RFA with ARBITRATION)

QUESTION

Lots of posting going on over the last few days with trades/pickups for the Canes...

Based on who the Canes have RIGHT NOW on their roster and that includes Canes/Checkers, do the Canes make the playoffs next year?? No postulating over things like injuries as Pit showed that if you're good it doesn't matter -  you play through it. Or we need one more proven player, or there are too many variables to be able to say yes or no etc.

Bottom line: Do the Canes make the playoffs this coming season with the roster they have right now??

Edited by raleighcaniac

Just now, raleighcaniac said:

QUESTION

Lots of posting going on over the last few days with trades/pickups for the Canes...

Based on who the Canes have RIGHT NOW on their roster and that includes Canes/Checkers, do the Canes make the playoffs next year?? No postulating over things like injuries as Pit showed that if you're good it doesn't matter -  you play through it. Or we need one more proven player, or there are too many variables.

Bottom line: Do the Canes make the playoffs this coming season with the roster they have right now??

if Darling provides above average goal tending Yes.  if he is a bust and the load falls on Ward.  No.

3 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

That is a tough question to answer.  IF Darling posts a .925 save percentage this season, then I think we can get in.  Many variables to get through.  Darling, Fleury & TVR pairing, Staal line contributing to the offense, repeat end of year performances of Lindholm & Hanifin all season, and potential sophomore slump by Aho.   

I feel we are better off than last year but the division is too crazy to feel confident.

16 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Since we are Hurricane fans on this board the correct answer is YES!

I suppose the reality is the answer is it appears with the moves we have made and the roster as it is at this moment the team has a real chance to make the playoffs in the upcoming season. 

The team has identified areas of weakness and addressed goalkeeping, 5/6 D pair, 4th line, leadership and added scoring

Could an additional move make us stronger, probable but that isn't what you asked.

Until new players actually skate as a team you can never be sure but  it sure looks to me that this could be a team to be reckoned with

13 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

With Williams, we got one banana with some brown spots, and they make a dandy nanner puddin'

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

That is a tough question to answer.  IF Darling posts a .925 save percentage this season, then I think we can get in.  Many variables to get through.  Darling, Fleury & TVR pairing, Staal line contributing to the offense, repeat end of year performances of Lindholm & Hanifin all season, and potential sophomore slump by Aho.   

I feel we are better off than last year but the division is too crazy to feel confident.

.925 would have been top 5 in the league last year.  That's a pretty high bar . . .

Too many ifs to answer yes or no, but i'll reduce it down to one if - if the Hurricanes can get average goaltending, i like their chances.  Better than average, i say yes.  The mess they got last season, probably not.  The rest of the team is better right now than they were at this point last year, but our goaltenders have to be able to stop a beach ball or it's all for naught.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

.925 would have been top 5 in the league last year.  That's a pretty high bar . . .

It's about the only way to definitively say we make the playoffs. But a top 10 performance with our D will do fine.  

We've added NHL experience and situation-specific expertise that make us more competitive (on paper) than we've been in years. But as others have said, it all comes down to execution. Who really thought Montreal would miss the dance entirely two years ago, after starting 9-0? 

There's a reason they play the games, the same reason why nothing anybody says on some discussion board in July will make a whit of difference come Oct 1. It's the same thing that makes hockey the greatest game on the planet.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

One thing that I see as important is that I think enough has been added to prevent this team from tripping over the starting line this season and starting off in a hole.

15 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

With Williams, we got one banana with some brown spots, and they make a dandy nanner puddin'

Well, good thing we didn't go for Jagr...

1477612540_0db7981038_b.jpg

• Like 1

I say yes the Canes make the playoffs with the existing Canes/Checkers rosters.

That said it is incumbent on Lindholm to score this year and score when it counts. He's going into his 5th year and based on the flashes of brilliance such as his passing game the kid can't in my opinion be patted on the back if he nets under 20 this year. It has to be around 25+ for him with all the regular shift play and PP time he gets. I agree with earlier comments about Rask being so banged up in the off season last season he couldn't train properly. He's an intense kid and I expect he will be a solid 2nd line C this season. Easiest position to play via a trade etc is goalie. Doesn't matter where you play - use your skill and stop the puck. Darling will be fine.  Now its Peters turn to produce.

I don't think it's a guarantee, but I feel as if  we have a strong possibility to make it in this season.  Through all the craziness this offseason has brought, I don't think most teams in the Metro improved this offseason that much.  In fact, I would say there's only 4 or so teams in the conference that I'd give a definitive edge to us on paper, and that's Columbus/Pittsburgh/Washington/Montreal.

I say this every year and I'll say it again, other teams have their own questions to answer in addition to us.  There's a youth movement going on across the league, and with that comes ups and downs.  For example, I could easily see a team like Toronto struggling this season due to the heavy relying on a bunch of 19yr olds.  Carolina just needs to focus on playing their style every night, because I think we can match up with any team on any given night.  But as many have already pointed out, the wild card will be goaltending.

I'll start by saying this. If we don't add anymore pieces until maybe March, and we do make the playoffs, the future looks bright indeed because there is all kinds of talent percolating up. And next off-season moves will be there that are not there now when certain guy's trade value goes up.

I think we make it. But there is not as much room for error as I'd like. Its a tough conference and division.

I think we get the goals, and I really think we become a top half D team, maybe even better. That combination will give us a much greater than even chance of making it. Adding at least 15 more goals, and shutting the door on the other end, should give us a 90% chance.

The thing that is impossible to factor in is the growth curve of young players. But to my eye, this is a hidden factor that began to reveal itself later in the year, especially after the trade deadline. I'd like to say most in the media are missing it, but for some reason, we're becoming a popular pick as a dark horse. Still, there seems to be a lot of skepticism in it, like, "watch out for Carolina....but probably just miss." It is just so hard to even see the young teams improvement if you don't watch the team constantly.

The biggest offensively was Lindholm. While his playmaking kicked into elite much earlier (Nov 12 to be exact), the guy only finished with 11 goals. But he had 5 in March (24G pace), and 5 more in the 10 games of the IIHF World Tourney, where he looked like one of the best players out there with elite players. From December to the end of March, Lindholm put up .81 ppg over 44 games (67 point pace). It feels like Lindy is going to breakout next year. I think he breaks 20 goals and at least closes on 60 points, if not better. 

Then I'd point to Aho. Finishing with 24 goals is very impressive, but the kid didn't score essentially at all for the first 13 games and 3 in the first 25. He scored 21 in the next 57 games, a 30 goal pace. I'm not predicting 30, but he is capable of it.

TT took 11 games to get a goal adjusting to a new team and system and a coach late on arrival. If you just average out his goals for the rest of the season over those games he' have hit 18 goals. TT is more of a question mark to me, but the upside is massive. He has skills. I think he's at least 50 points and 18-20 goals this year. He has adjusted to his new team. I think he is really good this year.

Rask and Jordan both have more to give, but hard to know if they will. We did not lose anyone, but gained J Williams.

Ryan is also interesting. He was inconsistent, but he was a rookie. If you take his three best months he was putting up .57 ppg over 44 games (47 pt pace).

Skinner is the one guy who it is hard to project getting close to 40 goals again. He can, but odds are he drops some.

Then there's the D. I feel a bit on my island with this one, but I think Hanifin will be much more solid this year, and if his effect on Faulk after the deadline was for real, our defense will improve mightily from the middle pairing. A key pairing. Fold in TVR and Darling, and our #19 D could get close to top 10. And while we'd still need a few more goals, we should get them.

So, improvements from existing young forwards, Hanifin, and on D Faulk along with Darling and Williams' leadership, work etic and goals, should be enough. But it's a tough conference, and one more move would improve the margin.

Edited by remkin

D will be top 10.  Goaltending top half.   Scoring improved but not stellar.  Shootouts improved.  3 on 3 not improved.  PP the same.  PK maybe a slight step back but still top 10.   Canes come in somewhere between 5 and 8 in the East.

I don't know. There looks to be a power shift in the league coming. We could turn out to be one of the teams that comes out as one of the better East teams in the next two years. This season, I think it's the most possible it has been since 09. RF didn't just improve the team, he improved every single area. Defense, Goaltending, and forward depth. While RF didn't bring in any big names (besides maybe Williams), he did bring in effective players who all have a sense of leadership and winning championships on their resumes. Especially Williams, we have someone on the roster who reminds me of the drive Brind'Amour had, being clutch when necessary.

Additions: Darling, TVR, Jooris, Williams, Kruger

Subtractions: Lack, Murphy, McClement, PDG?, Nestrasil, Tennyson

Our goaltending looks potentially our most improved position. TVR is a steady RD for our third pairing to play with Fleury/Dahlbeck. Kruger replaces McClement at 4C, Jooris takes a 4th line wing. Nordstrom most likely rounds it out. That leaves Skinner, Aho, Lindholm, Staal, Rask, Stempniak, Teravainen, Williams, Ryan as our top-9 and McGinn as our extra F? And again, no room for any young guys to really steal a spot it looks like.

Will we get in? I say probably not, mainly because our division looks intense and has only mostly improved. But, being as good as we are, we may have only really needed a slight improvement in each area, which is what we have so far. And potential for a huge improvement in net.

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I don't think it's a guarantee, but I feel as if  we have a strong possibility to make it in this season.  Through all the craziness this offseason has brought, I don't think most teams in the Metro improved this offseason that much.  In fact, I would say there's only 4 or so teams in the conference that I'd give a definitive edge to us on paper, and that's Columbus/Pittsburgh/Washington/Montreal.

I say this every year and I'll say it again, other teams have their own questions to answer in addition to us.  There's a youth movement going on across the league, and with that comes ups and downs.  For example, I could easily see a team like Toronto struggling this season due to the heavy relying on a bunch of 19yr olds.  Carolina just needs to focus on playing their style every night, because I think we can match up with any team on any given night.  But as many have already pointed out, the wild card will be goaltending.

The fact that their 19yo's are Matthews and Marner makes me more wary of the Leafs instead of less. Especially with the addition of graybeard Marleau, who put up 27 and 25 goals the last 2 years. 

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I would say there's only 4 or so teams in the conference that I'd give a definitive edge to us on paper, and that's Columbus/Pittsburgh/Washington/Montreal.

Seriously, Montreal?  Not being a smart alek or anything but that really caught me eye.  Have you kept up with what has happened up there.  It really is a hot mess.  I see them toward the bottom of the Conference.

In the Metro, I think both Pittsburgh and Washington, right now, have an edge on talent alone, but both those teams have digressed, particularly Washington.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Caps wheels fall off this season.  I agree with Columbus but I don't think they are any lock either, just depends on the ifs.  The Rags and Isles I don't see as having any better chance than we do and the Devils can just forget about it.

It will be interesting to see which teams drop. I would keep an eye on the Rangers, Montreal, and Washington. I guess the question could be more: how far do they drop?

Then the Bruins. Chara is 40. Borderline last year. Ottawa, got really lucky.

Did the NYI, Tampa, Philly, or Florida really get better?

The downside is that the top 3 in the Metro: Pittsburgh, Washington, and Columbus will be tough to displace. Realistically locking down the first WC spot is probably our route. But you never know! Washington lost their #4 and #6 forward with no real replacement. But they have Holtby and some superstars and had #3 team in goals for and #1 goals against.

It's a tough conference, and tougher division, but we can lock down that top WC spot and hold it strong, and maybe a team like Columbus just has a down year....