The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season Talk 2017

48 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Exactly!  I'm surprised AWAC doesn't get this!  He's always up there in the stratosphere, keeping our troops in contact with each other, letting them know of the bogies out and about.  Maybe even bouncing communications off of the ionosphere and other layers.  But he forgot that the bozone layer always stops sarchasm.

Not this time...I'm working a desk job out here...

Needs

C:

trade options are Granlund and Duchene. Granlund will be cheaper because I have little doubt they move him.  He put up 69 points and is due a good raise. Wild cant afford it.  Duchene move is out of want not necessity.

D:

Plenty of options for pre expansion draft trade or UFA.

Goalie:  tricky 

The elephant in the room is the goal tending prospects.   I feel way better about the forwards this team has in the prospect pool than the goal tending.   Is this how it is in every organization?  Is goal tending hard to draft for?  What gives?

• Like 1

Someone mentioned Hossa earlier. Might he fit the bill as a top 6 scorer (though not a center)? Bowman promised changes at his post playoffs presser. Toews and Kane aren't going anywhere, but might Chicago part with Hossa? I don't know his contract situation, or even his production this year, but he has the long-term pedigree. We seem to make some move with Chicago every offseason. Another possibility might be Crawford. One of the Hawks bloggers on Hockey Buzz stated that moving Crawford might be under consideration. The next 2 months are really going to be interesting. Bring in a proven goalie and a proven scorer up front and I sure hope fan buzz would be the highest in 10 years. A backup goalie with potential to be a number one and the usual second tier free agent or a TT type obtained in exchange for a salary dump of another player will bring hope more than excitement. There are enough pieces in place now that we should be swinging for the fences. I'll repeat my oft stated concern: will PK step up to the plate with his wallet to allow RF to do what needs to be done? If so, it's time for Ronnie to prove he can make the bold moves to get us over the top. 

4 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Is goal tending hard to draft for? 

See: Rick DiPietro

3 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Someone mentioned Hossa earlier. 

Nope, he's too risky...and getting too old.  

Technically he only costs 1 mil a year the final four years but I would guess yes that's his cap hit.

Hossa's 20 + goals as a 3rd liner would be a nice addition to your Stanley Cup driving team. But I don't think the Canes are quite at the cup yet ;) I'll be tickled with 5th-8th seed.

If we had a Hossa, he'd be overslotted and likely suffer.

Edited by legend-1

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

Technically he only costs 1 mil a year the final four years but I would guess yes that's his cap hit.

Hossa's 20 + goals as a 3rd liner would be a nice addition to your Stanley Cup driving team. But I don't think the Canes are quite at the cup yet ;) I'll be tickled with 5th-8th seed.

If we had a Hossa, he'd be overslotted and likely suffer.

Yes Hossa's cap hit was what I posted. For only 1 million a year Hossa would be worth it. We aren't a cap ceiling team so the almost 5 million difference in cap and salary is no biggie for us.  And his production is well worth 1 million.

Yes he or Stempniak would be over-slotted.  I would rather have a number 1 center than over-slotting Rask at one. Hossa is closer to a top line RW than Rask to a number one center. Still a good O in my opinion:

Skins-New guy-Hossa

TT-Staal-Lindholm 

Aho-Rask-Stempniak

Good 4th liners

i still don't believe we can afford two top liners, a goalie, and 5th Dman with TT needing re-signing and Lindholm and the 3 Dmen needing re-signing next year.

10 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Someone mentioned Hossa earlier. Might he fit the bill as a top 6 scorer (though not a center)? Bowman promised changes at his post playoffs presser. Toews and Kane aren't going anywhere, but might Chicago part with Hossa? I don't know his contract situation, or even his production this year, but he has the long-term pedigree. We seem to make some move with Chicago every offseason. Another possibility might be Crawford. One of the Hawks bloggers on Hockey Buzz stated that moving Crawford might be under consideration. The next 2 months are really going to be interesting. Bring in a proven goalie and a proven scorer up front and I sure hope fan buzz would be the highest in 10 years. A backup goalie with potential to be a number one and the usual second tier free agent or a TT type obtained in exchange for a salary dump of another player will bring hope more than excitement. There are enough pieces in place now that we should be swinging for the fences. I'll repeat my oft stated concern: will PK step up to the plate with his wallet to allow RF to do what needs to be done? If so, it's time for Ronnie to prove he can make the bold moves to get us over the top. 

He has no choice.  He wants to sign bread man (who is nearly playing for free right now) and has to make cap space.  Bowman also bet the cap would continue he fast rise.  It isn't.  He'll be doing something.   Hossa is possible, but I am afraid Hossa could be falling off a cliff.  Anything we play with can't be long term.  But then again, what do I know? 

He also doled out a lot of NMCs.  He may "ask" some players if they were willing to go.  It won't be easy for him.

I was listening to some Chicago pundits and they are freaked out over this.  I was laughing my bag off over one comment: "If attendance drops to 19,000 from 21,000, this team will be in a huge way of hurt!  How will they afford the payroll?"

LOL!   LOL!  Hey, Poor Little Rich Girl, sorry about your problems.  Come over here and see what kind of problem PK has.  

Edited by wxray1

If we're speculating on what failed team might move which old guy, and whether we should try to get him (and we are), I'd say let's target Gaborik. His salary is going in the right direction, he has several years left, and he's three years younger than Hossa.

But - unless we were to lose Stemp AND move J. - I don't believe we're getting any additional old hands (read: 30-plus) this off-season, FA or otherwise. I think priority #1 is a true #1 keeper, and that the moves we make at forward this off-season target proven producers who are still under two things: 30 years old, and contract. The best time/way to get a high-dollar, older vet is at the deadline, when they're FAs and you're clearly on your way to the playoffs.

It's also the most cost-effective way; he either proves he wants to be here going forward or he doesn't, by playing under the best possible circumstances for finding that out: Playoff pressure.    

Edited by top-shelf-1

12 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

The elephant in the room is the goal tending prospects.   I feel way better about the forwards this team has in the prospect pool than the goal tending.   Is this how it is in every organization?  Is goal tending hard to draft for?  What gives?

Well, I have to agree with this assessment.  If we had a sieve worth talking about we would be talking about him.  We aren't.  This is not good.

I'll comment more in the goalie thread.

Wow Hossa? 38yrs old?(hurts me to say it because that's how old I am) I would think all RF's comments about "making moves that make sense for now and the future" would mean he's not going after 38yr olds.  I mean unless you bring in 2 true young top 6ers and add Hossa as vet presence to 3rd line.  Sure that would work but I don't think he's thinking about that yet. Guys still putting up good numbers but It's going to fall off hard very very soon, unless of course he's the next Jagr

I wouldn't take Oshie if we have to throw money at him. We need to be smart and play the long game, as we have been. A contract like that could be a wrench in the plans to resign Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin, Aho down the road.

1 hour ago, SuckaPunchd said:

I wouldn't take Oshie if we have to throw money at him. We need to be smart and play the long game, as we have been. A contract like that could be a wrench in the plans to resign Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin, Aho down the road.

Then we will continue to miss the playoffs for the next 4 years if we don't throw money at someone.

3 hours ago, SuckaPunchd said:

I'd defer to the capologists on here to check my numbers, and I am quite probably wrong about more than one thing, but my very amateur attempt below seems to indicate we could afford Oshie and still have plenty of room for everyone of our core types into the distant future. Next year is so open it's ridiculous. In two years, we have a bunch of RFA's to sign, and three years we need to re sign Skinner and bump Aho, probably a lot. But:

1. There is still cap room.

2. The cap is going to go up at some point in there.

3. We can make trades as we have prospects pushing up on entry deals.

17-18: We do have $31 million in cap space as we sit for next year, with TT, McGinn, and possibly Ryan (UFA) to sign. This year is nuts, and the cap floor may be an issue. Plenty of room for two Oshies and a partridge in a pear tree and the rest of the twelve days of Christmas too.

18-19: Stemper's $2.5 million is off, and hopefully someone like Roy or Guathier is giving us a $950K replacement. That and Wiz coming off nets another $2.5 million. We have to sign Lindholm, RFA, still he is probably going to get a big raise. If he has a great year, say $5 million per year?  And we have both goalies off, but will need new ones on. And we have a run of RFA deals to make so, and I'm guessing here:

Lindy: $5 million

Hanifin: $3.5 million

Pesce: $3 million

Slavin: $5 million

TT: (this year carry over): $3.5 million.

McGinn: (this year carry over): 1.5 million.

Goalies: $7 million

$28.5 million

$49.0 million estimated cap space (with no increase in cap over two more years).

$20 million space. ($13 million w Oshie at $7 million).

20-21:

Need to bump Skinner IF he is producing.

Need to pay Aho.

Skinner: $7.5 million (net 1.75 million over current)

Aho: $6-7 million (net $6.0 million)

This adds $8 million. Assuming no cap bump and Oshie, we'd still have everyone signed for a few more years and $5 million in cap space. But it is hard to imaging 3 full years and no bump in the cap.

21-22:  Semin's $2.5 million finally comes off.  But everyone pretty locked down here, and this is too far out to predict where the cap will be, but it will be raised by quite a bit probably.

Edited by remkin

On Hossa: Not terribly interested since we should be looking at 1C and #1 goalie. If we could take his contract off of their hands alongside Crawford's? Maybe, but we could probably do a little better (and younger).

On Gaborik: As I went to look at his stats, I saw that he had a procedure and won't be ready for training camp. I wouldn't necessarily agree that Gaborik being 3 years younger is a great advantage, since he is still 35 and doesn't seem to have moves like Jagr. :P

On Oshie: Unlike Hossa and Gaborik, Oshie can produce at a good pace right now for his age. People mention that he has a superior offense to play with, but so do the two Marians. I think he would probably be worth the price just so we could have a good natural RW for Skins to play with. Maybe we could even do a front loaded contract, or something to make it easier on us in the future. Oshie has pretty good defensive numbers, as well. Not just +/- , but blocks, takeaways, and somewhat low giveaways. And he is a pretty capable hitter, even for a guy who's just 6'0. Don't know if anybody really cares about hits, but people have mentioned sandpaper and such.

I'd definitely rather have Oshie than Hossa or Gaborik. I'd be willing to pay for him to come here, but would he want to? Remkin's $7 million seems a little expensive for him to me, but it could definitely be worth it.

Just to throw this out there; I saw an article on Cardiac Cane about offer sheets, and the article mentioned Draisaitl, Drouin, and Galchenyuk. I don't foresee any of them wearing a Canes sweater come next season, especially not the offer sheet way, but I am curious what others think of this idea.

Rem,

you make valid points on how much cap space we have but, I don't believe we get that high in spending.  We have to add 15 million in re-signings (I agree with your orinciple numbers).  I believe 62 million is the highest we may go. Unless deep playoff runs happen and more media/advertising money comes a long.  

With that said I believe number 1 center is the best route over RW.  Oshie is a great option and if we could get a number 1 center and RW then go for it.  

As for RFA offer sheets: Tampa now has enough cap space for their crew.  Edmonton and Montreal both have more than enough space to cover an offer.  

The real candidates for offer sheets are RW Panik from Chicago, Ganlund and Nino from th Wild and Zibenjad from NYR.   

13 hours ago, danimal-ch1 said:

. Guys still putting up good numbers but It's going to fall off hard very very soon, unless of course he's the next Jagr

Speaking of Jagr, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

The RFA for this offseason are TT and McGinn.  That is 3.5 million AAV max for both players...  I did the math earlier, but even including those two resigning, we are going to be 11-12 million below the floor.  That is plenty of money and cap space to get a goalie and a top scoring forward.  I almost wonder if we try and sign Slavin and Pesce to bridge deals this offseason, similar to what we did with Faulk and Skinner.  We have to keep those dudes in CAR.  

Of course the rub is next year.  We have 5 RFAs of consequence:  Slavin, Pesce, Hanifan, Lindholm, and Nordstrom.  I am seeing minimum 15M AAV in contracts, probably more like 20M.   We also have Murphy, but I do not think he will be a priority.  The bridge deals would reduce that to 3.

1 hour ago, ironman87 said:

The RFA for this offseason are TT and McGinn.  That is 3.5 million AAV max for both players...  I did the math earlier, but even including those two resigning, we are going to be 11-12 million below the floor.  That is plenty of money and cap space to get a goalie and a top scoring forward.  I almost wonder if we try and sign Slavin and Pesce to bridge deals this offseason, similar to what we did with Faulk and Skinner.  We have to keep those dudes in CAR.  

Of course the rub is next year.  We have 5 RFAs of consequence:  Slavin, Pesce, Hanifan, Lindholm, and Nordstrom.  I am seeing minimum 15M AAV in contracts, probably more like 20M.   We also have Murphy, but I do not think he will be a priority.  The bridge deals would reduce that to 3.

I hope we get Slavin at 5 yrs at 5 AAV. Pesce and Hanifan get 3 year deals.  Slavin is already worth the risk of a 5 yr deal for a younger player.  Pesce abd Hanifan are good but not worth the high price of signing long deals, yet.

This is going to rip a scab off a wound.  Sorry.

First, it is great to hear that E. Staal is in good shape after his headfirst slide into the boards.  Apparently, only a minor concussion that he's shaken off.

Now for the scab.  This is gonna hurt:

On his season, Staal said, I’d be lying to you if I didn’t say it felt good to maybe stick it to some people that didn’t think I could play still a little bit. But, I came here expecting to play on a good team, came here expecting to play with some great players and be given an opportunity, and I was able to do that and contribute. We did a lot of great things throughout the season.   It just stings right now with how it finished. 

From: Star Tribune: Lucky Eric Staal on head injury: 'Could have been a lot worse'

In that same article, E. goes on saying this:

I felt like I created some looks, created chances throughout the series, but for whatever reason, they didn’t hit the back of the net as they had been previously.

Ah yeah, we know about that!

E. is a fine gentleman, but clearly he played hardball against RF, who returned the balls just as hard.  E. didn't want to take a cut until his hand was forced.  So much for a "home town discount".  

I dunno what to even say to that. He's laid duds in 2 playoffs in a row now on talented teams, he might wanna focus up on his new surroundings rather then his self-imposed moral victories before he has a new set of fans to stick it to. You'd swear he mentally won his own cup by reaching 60 points again. Wooptie Doo.

You can predict what our payout will be to these players, but those are only guesses. We don't know the strides some of these players will make before their contracts are up. Not to mention before you throw money at a guy like Oshie, we should address our goaltending first. That's just me though.. Oshie would be a great addition, but he's not a priority over a top line center and a starting goaltender. Yeah, we have always been weak at RW, and a natural RW is like a myth here in NC. But I really don't think adding another winger is going to make another year of overslotting a player like Rask two spots up the line-up look any better. Again, just my opinion. I'd rather focus on goaltending, then skaters. If a center is unavailable, which is completely likely, then maybe chase Oshie if he's still available. But don't get sucked into the whole Free Agency stupidity.. Oshie is coming off a career year for goalscoring, he's currently contributing in the post-season for the Caps, and should the team make it to the finals his value goes up automatically to a degree. He's finishing a 5 year, $4.175 million contract. At 30, he's most likely going to want to cash in this time around, testing the free agency for the first time in his career.. He's most likely going to be seeking 7 years, around 6-7 million per at the least. And there will be plenty of other teams with deep pockets and most likely much better looking rosters to Oshie..

I would rather skip on Oshie personally to find a way to address all our needs better. If that makes sense?

Edited by SuckaPunchd

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Staal said, I’d be lying to you if I didn’t say it felt good to maybe stick it to some people that didn’t think I could play still a little bit. But, I came here expecting to play on a good team, came here expecting to play with some great players and be given an opportunity, and I was able to do that and contribute. We did a lot of great things throughout the season.   It just stings right now with how it finished. 

So there it is.  He made 9M and 9.5M his last 2 seasons here.  Talk about misinterpreting criticism.

2016/17:  65 points at $3,500,000 is   $54,000     per point

2015/16:  39 points at $9,500,000 is   $243,589   per point

or go with goals

2016/17:  28 goals at $3,500,000 is   $125,000  per goal

2015/16:  13 goals at $9,500,000 is   $731,000 per goal

Perhaps he feels happy that he stuck it to some people this season.  But I argue he stuck it to the same people in 2015/16 as well in an entirely different way.  He should thank his lucky stars he wasn't playing for Toronto instead of Carolina, he would have really heard it then.  Poor Eric.

For the record, I still thought he could play a little bit.